Folk Music from your Corner of the World

Ah - the benefits of an international forum. One thing that resonates perfectly across all cultures is music. Within these borders, I've found two childhood songs that make my skin crawl every time i think of my childhood days singing these in classes.

First one is a great little tune with a patriotic message too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3MAaQLSSI

Second is a nice little Deutsch (spelt 'Dutch' in North America) Canadian influence. Happy polka times:

What are your culturally relevant folk songs you reminds you of your childhood? happy.png

I have never really been a fan of folk music but some of it can be very moving.

I remember this movie as a kid, and while I rejected the political theme even then, I still love the move, albeit quite sad, and I still love the music.

Nice thread Magpie!

• Like 1

I hope you got 3X earplugs for them big fuzzy pink ears of yours!

Cheers! -Piggy

I'm not exaggerating when I say... I have had to drive our beekeeping trucks wearing my Husqvuarna earmuffs when Angela is rocking out, to the pimped out sound system !

As I'm typing this I can hear her singing along to Aerosmith ;)

• Like 1

I'm not exaggerating when I say... I have had to drive our beekeeping trucks wearing my Husqvuarna earmuffs when Angela is rocking out, to the pimped out sound system !

As I'm typing this I can hear her singing along to Aerosmith wink.png

I am a progressive rock fan as well as a classical music guy. You would probably have to wear earmuff in my car too…! -LOL

… on the lighter side, I would love to learn more about your beekeeping! You should post some of that up someday.

My neighbor keeps bees and on hot summer days when I am with the horses I can hear them fanning the hives.

Cheers mate! -P

• Like 1

what was that from PigPie? sounds like Petula Clark before she got high on life

As I'm typing this I can hear her singing along to Aerosmith wink.png

craaaaaaaaaazeh. craaaaaaaaaayzie, craaaaaazy. I go craaaaazeh.

What do you do!?! HONEY.

• Like 1

I am a progressive rock fan as well as a classical music guy. You would probably have to wear earmuff in my car too…! -LOL

… on the lighter side, I would love to learn more about your beekeeping! You should post some of that up someday.

My neighbor keeps bees and on hot summer days when I am with the horses I can hear them fanning the hives.

Cheers mate! -P

I have a fabulous Classical music selection also, then again sometimes I just gotta hit a dose of Nickleback, Led Zep or The Cult "ultra loud" :)

Beekeeping is in essence an artform and as Sanctuary Honey we are one of approx. five Beekeepers in the world producing certified Organic Manuka honey.

Sting Meadery ...is one of a kind ;)

qydarajy.jpg

• Like 3

what was that from PigPie? sounds like Petula Clark before she got high on life

craaaaaaaaaazeh. craaaaaaaaaayzie, craaaaaazy. I go craaaaazeh.

What do you do!?! HONEY.

…it is from a 1972 movie called Silent Running. It is Joan Baez singing. You know, the Diamonds and Rust, Joan Baez…?

In the seventies it was an ice age that was coming. 454ci 8-V's were killing the planet… you know how it goes, nothing has really changed.

Anyway it is a pretty cool sci-fi movie for its time. You can rent it I am sure. If you can't get it on planet Canuck, I can burn you a copy… It will cost you an EL or RE… -LOL

-R

Anyway it is a pretty cool sci-fi movie for its time. You can rent it I am sure. If you can't get it on planet Canuck, I can burn you a copy… It will cost you an EL or RE

let's give you an LE... how does a trio of 07 Limitadas sound? Perhaps i'll even throw in an RyJ Double Corona

just mail the VHS to the return address on the packaging... pig.gif

Here's Doc Watson. I think he was from North Carolina. I was fortunate to hear him several times when he was alive. RIP

you are indeed a very lucky man. Doc Watson is a fantastic bluesgrass player and has always resonated with me as I play the banjo, too.

I've alway wanted to play like him and Stevie Ray Vaughan but i'm pretty sure my banjo/guitar skills have pretty much plateaued now. it does make me appreciate them more, though

This was probably my favourite from Doc Watson:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-kaG1NuLZM&

This sums up Ireland quite neatly

This is quite similar to the Scottish tune 'Gravel Path' normally played on bagpipes. I believe the Irish variation is called 'Bag of Spuds'? i do enjoy the variation along with the tapping to the beat, though.

A notable Irish folk musician i absolutely adore (and used to listen to in the morning whilst walking) was Gerry O'Connor.

Here's his variation of 'Bag of Spuds' played in a Christian Church

His use of the 4-string banjo is foreign to me as I still play the 5-string. The lack of a higher melody makes me enjoy the use of the tenor banjo in Irish music. But you can do less of the rapid chords like Gerry shows at 3:20.

Much more mellow sound

September means two things for me.

Spearfishing season

Oktoberfest

Here's to wishing a toasty roasty Oktoberfest to my German mates across the pond! I play Americanised polka mixed into my normal song rotation for a bit leading up to it. I'm normally the most cheerful in September for that reason.

Over here in Canada we got the one and only Stompin Tom.

http://youtu.be/UxJvrD80nJ4

My moms family were share croppers in tobacco in south Ontario. This was one of her faves. Only she always said he should of done it like the natives her dad would hire did. They crawled on there bellys to save their backs. That's how she learned and always swore by it.

http://youtu.be/v6EiYbRTv4M

hope it worked I aint no computer genius that's for sure.

• Like 1

Not exactly folk... But very indicative of culture.

Anyone who enjoys The Man in Black ' Johnny Cash ' must listen to this at least once. I great story about a man who always seemed so strong. KK is still alive today with moderate Alzheimer forgetting the meaning. He knows the lyrics and how to play most of his tunes but he's forgotten what they're about.

Luckily, we have the internet.

• Like 2