Online blog - worth it? Give me your pros and cons...

Hey all,

For those of you who have (or perhaps had) blogs - what are the various pros and cons? Is it worth it? I know of Wordpress, but not many others - what would be some good companies / webpages to use? Are some of the "premium" upgrades worth it (ie - no ads, extra storage space, personalization, etc.)??

I know I haven't been on here too much lately, and my time has been thinning out more and more lately as it is. But it's something that's been in the back of my mind for years, ever since I had a discussion with Rob and some others regarding some of the blogs attached to this forum. And, while I know that some blogs have unfairly and unjustly led to some community members as being targetted by trolls and haters and such, it's still something that has interested me. I've been thinking of doing a blog that combines a number of things that's closest to me - cigars (of course!), Cuba, and Havana, as well as reflections on some of my other passions such as my work in policing, SAR, volunteerism, etc.

I know I wouldn't want to attach a forum or whatnot to it (that's what this place is for), and any comment posting would be relatively minimal and heavily vetted (it's my soapbox, so get your own if you're not happy), etc.

Let me know your thoughts, your pros and cons, what would interest you or not, and how to weigh out if it's worth it or not.

Cheers all.

• Like 2

Do it for yourself vs trying to monetize it. You're most likely to blog about CC's. No money in that, unless you can get some sponsors(mostly vendors, Habanos SA wouldn't give out a cent)

If you blog about cigars and include NC's you can open up a few opportunities for yourself. Free samples, sponsorship, ads, events, etc. That is if your blog garners enough hits to make it worthwhile. But, you'll find your sponsors interest will wane if your reviews aren't "positive" enough. I know some guys who do this. It's a bit soul sucking.

Do it for yourself vs trying to monetize it. You're most likely to blog about CC's. No money in that, unless you can get some sponsors(mostly vendors, Habanos SA wouldn't give out a cent)

If you blog about cigars and include NC's you can open up a few opportunities for yourself. Free samples, sponsorship, ads, events, etc. That is if your blog garners enough hits to make it worthwhile. But, you'll find your sponsors interest will wane if your reviews aren't "positive" enough. I know some guys who do this. It's a bit soul sucking.

Appreciate the info Frank, but I wouldn't even THINK about doing it for monetary reasons.

Sidenote - people actually make MONEY off of their blogs??!??!!? Okay, call me completely ignorant or blind here, but I actually had no idea that people can and/or do make money off of their blogs!!! I'm sure if you had a major blog that something like a million people subscribed to, and you had millions of hits per month, and have been around on the internet for a decade or so, and therefore make money off of advertising (as I've heard some do with their YouTube channels). But I've got no illusions about this going into that realm - just something very simple, easy to post to, easy to have my control over, and for my own personal fulfillment and soapbox.

I've got no issues glowing about the positives about something, but I equally will defame and spout if something is negative crap. That's why, for me, I don't think I'd invite "sponsorship", per say. Reviewing NC's is really not an option for me - my palate is purely Habanos spoiled, and only Padron serie 1920-something and 1960-something cigars appeal to me at all.

I was thinking about putting a special section there for "Want me to review a cigar of yours - does our palate match?", or something to that effect. But my thought is that would be solely on a cigar aficionado to cigar aficionado basis, not something for sponsors. It'd be something where my rules would be simple - make sure to enclose your proper return address on the package (or I'll refuse acceptance of it and send it back), with the sole purpose for enabling me to send some equivalent cigars in return. You surprise me, I'll surprise you back, simple as that. If you're a sponsor, advertiser, trying to hawk a manufacturer samples, etc. - none of that is my game. I'm not Cigar Aficionado magazine - whether true or not, I don't want the controversy of having ad space and sponsorship influencing the perception of me being fully fair and unbiased (at least as much as I can be, with my own personal preferences).

Again, it won't be all cigars (though likely a 1/3 to 50/50 mix would be, at the least). But I think you get the gist.

I've seen very good blogs using Word Press but I know some features are paid. Really can't give you more details but I am sure Dirty Ash Art can. http://thedirtyashes.wordpress.com/

Nino, I think, has his own blog for a long time and I am sure he can help as well. http://flyingcigar.de/

Noted. Both are good friends, and I highly respect the way they've done their own personalized blogs over the years. Both I've e-mailed separately to get their opinions and suggestions.

Wordpress is basic, and very simple to use. A lot of bloggers use it. The templates make it easy to choose a layout and edit / add content in a flash. There are many sites using word press. A friend of mine runs www.nicepair.ca which focuses on cigars and spirits. This webpage is made 100% from wordpress. As well as mentioned above: http://thedirtyashes.wordpress.com/ & I believe www.habanosnut.com is also wordpress. It seems like the go to!

I say go for it, do it for your own satisfaction and knowledge!

Hi Keith, just a hello mate.

In regard to a blog, be sure youre committed bud. It's a lot of work to get up and contribute daily, especially when the majority of it is your own words, thoughts and opinions.

Oh... Don't start a blog on NASCAR.. lol3.gif

• Like 1

I know I didn't let this thread sit long, but I've already been hankering over a decision on it for over a year now. Took the leap and fired it up. Not much aside from a welcome page and a first post, but I'll get it up and running a fair bit over the following few weeks...

http://lights-sirens-and-cigars.com/

• Like 2

Man, good on ya for doing it!!

This is something I've been thinking about for well over a year myself, but I've found my outlet tends to be in pictures more than words.

Questions I've had have been;

Do you HAVE to post daily?

Is there a limit to how many pics I pic?

Is content protected?

There are so many others, so if you feel like updating this thread with the start up trials and tribulations, I would love to read up!

Good luck and have fun!

I too have often contemplated having a blog to vent my thoughts and generate cigar content outside of the usual outlets

I'll be following how your blog goes with keen interest

I don't know if posting daily is really a necessity but regular posting is usually a good idea

My favourite cigar blog (Dusky Beauties) updates once a week and only during the warmer months of the years that are more suited to outdoor cigar smoking

Good luck with the new hobby

I don't know if posting daily is really a necessity but regular posting is usually a good idea

My favourite cigar blog (Dusky Beauties) updates once a week and only during the warmer months of the years that are more suited to outdoor cigar smoking

Dusky Beauties is only barely a cigar blog; if anything, it's really my autobiography presented one chapter at a time with a few tasting notes tacked on. Each entry is pretty long (minimum 1000 words, often significantly more), and each post is a crafted story that takes a few drafts to get right. Including the time it takes to smoke the cigar, I would say that it takes me a minimum of four hours to produce each post.

I believe very strongly in regular updates: far too many blogs start off with a few posts, and then post erratically for a few months, then fade away. I update once a week, on the same day every week, from January - June each year. Having a regular update day I think allows the blog to become part of people's lives, part of their weekly rhythm... "it's Thursday morning time for Dusky Beauties" sort of thing.

Only doing it six months a year is actually bit of an illusion. I do take a few months break during the winter, but generally if there is a sunny afternoon and I have the time, I will try and write an entry, no matter what month it is. Taking the six months off from posting means that by the time I start the 'season' I already have seven or eight weeks in the bag, and so have something to post when I can't find the time for an entry, or the weather doesn't suit, or whatever.

I really enjoy writing it, and people seem to enjoy reading it, so to me, having a blog is a well worthwhile experience. And yeah, there's no money in it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some months ago I asked a friend of him and he told me everything was ok with Art.

I don't know why he stopped posting.

He's been rolled into a new work position (earlier this spring I think it was, or late last year?) Things are going good for him, but just very busy with work stuff taking all his time mostly. So true for many of us.

Greetings, go for it. Could use more Habanos blogs and less N. C. blogs. I like Habanos Critic and happy to see the functional alcoholic Seth shut down Seth's Humidor and focus on Habanos instead of all the free mediocre N. C. stuff he use to do. The Youtube show is entertaining but it's a shame it's connected to Cigar Federation.com. it's hard for me to watch N.C. videos on YouTube anymore. I do think Habanos Critic site is well done. Thank You. Blessings !!!

Already on the go!!!!!

www.lights-sirens-and-cigars.com