Your oldest cigar?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A partial cab of 1980 Davidoff Chateau Yquem...

Got most of a cab of 2003 Hoyo Des Dieux and some 2003 RG Panetelas. Love 'em both and hate to think about the day I run out. The rest of my collection is predominantly 2012 and up, sadly.

check out www.gothamcigarmuseum.com for info on clear havanas

Got most of a cab of 2003 Hoyo Des Dieux and some 2003 RG Panetelas. Love 'em both and hate to think about the day I run out.

The rest of my collection is predominantly 2012 and up, sadly.

TmV8Bf5l.png

This is really nice. I wish i could like it more than once...

Mine are a fiver of my birth year sticks, '86 RG Coronas Extras. Planning to smoke one when I turn 30, then every 5 years or so. After that are a few singles from 98-02, ERDM lons, SLR lons, SS 2's, 898's, MdO 2's, and SW's.

I enjoy an aged stick once in a while for variety but can't say that every aged stick I've sampled were better than recent productions.

This is really nice. I wish i could like it more than once...

Thanks! I recently converted my inventory from a cigargeeks.com humidor to a custom Excel sheet that I put together. It allows for a lot more customization and analysis. I have a full sheet of different graphs. It's fun to look at from time to time. :cigar:

Thanks! I recently converted my inventory from a cigargeeks.com humidor to a custom Excel sheet that I put together. It allows for a lot more customization and analysis. I have a full sheet of different graphs. It's fun to look at from time to time. cigar.gif

Man, i had a cigar journal that i'm a month or so behind now. things like that die too quickly for me i guess...

mind sending me a template? or is that patented? ;)

Got a bunch of clear Havanas of multiple ages. A few boxes of 80s CCs and the oldest I have aged myself are boxes from 2008 when I started cigar smoking seriously.

Man, i had a cigar journal that i'm a month or so behind now. things like that die too quickly for me i guess...

mind sending me a template? or is that patented? wink.png

Not patented, but definitely cobbled together for my own use with no forethought for distribution. I might be able to clean it up and get a copy over to you though.

I have only just begun to age my cigars :(

I am too impatient and long term storage without temperature control has been an impossible dream for me to achieve so any box I bought was consumed within approximately 2 years.

With the birth of my son last year I did buy a nice looking box of Monte 2 from the month of his birth and plan to age them and share one with him on his 18th and 21st birthdays and other great occasions beyond that.

That brings me to another question. Am I being irresponsible in encouraging him to enjoy a cigar?

He could do a lot worse to my thinking.

• Like 1

That brings me to another question. Am I being irresponsible in encouraging him to enjoy a cigar?

He could do a lot worse to my thinking.

Get him on Cognacs and Whiskey so he doesn't have the budget to binge drink. Get him on cigars so he doesn't have the money to become addicted.

On top of that, those 'vices' in lue of other options encourage classy behaviour instead of the filthy habits like smoking cigarettes or drinking *shivers* Smirnoff Ice mixed with Orange Juice

On the note of health, here's something I posted a while back:

Cigar Smoking and Risks/Damages Relating to Cigarette Smoking Counterparts

Studies done by Dr. David M. Burns

Forward and Synopsis by Maple P. π

Preface

Studies of cigar smokers have only done on ones who inhale. This is how the Surgeon General in America can claim (without falsification) that "cigar smoking is NOT a safe alternative to cigarettes". Searching through public archives (didn't try any deeper biomedical private archives (why the hell would they be private) though), I've only found one so far and it's only from 1998.

Essentially, only 4 pages of the paper of the journal was actually dedicated to cigar smokers - and that was only to compare them to cigarette smokers. So little research has been done on this topic even in these papers.

The other one is a paper (Ray. You should remember this one) that analyses all the chemicals in tobacco and tobacco smoke.

This was a study done in 1998 in America by an American under American peer review on American smokers of Non-Cuban cigars. This makes it less applicable especially with the fact that NCs generally contain higher contents of nitrosamines, nicotine, and general black sludge.

The Results (Synopsis)

1-2 cigars a day increases the risk of:*

-General cause of death 2% more

-Buccal/Pharynx Cancer by 2.12x**

-Esophagus Cancer by 2.28x

-Lung Cancer by 1% less

-Pancreas cancer 18% more

-COPD 39% more

-Heart Disease 2% less.

Compared to cigarettes, of under one pack a day:

-General cause of death 46% more

-Buccal/Pharynx Cancer by 5.93x

-Esophagus Cancer by 2.41x

-Lung Cancer by 8.7x

-Pancreas cancer by 1.69x

-COPD by 8.86x

-Heart Disease 40% less.

*Studies have been done with a 12 year follow up by all smoked using 'little-moderate' inhalation of cigars and full inhalation of cigarettes.

** This excludes Salivary glands of the mouth

Conclusion and Explaination of Lung Cancer and Heart Disease Results

This can be used in no way to further academic articles or research nor is this a reliable source. Let's just get that out of the way.

Essentially, I don't smoke 1-2 cigars a day. I'm pretty sure only a few gents here do that, anyway. And they're either in Alberta or New York (wink.png) so when winter comes along, that'll be happening even less. I have found NO articles on 1-2 cigar a week smokers so I cannot comment on my health risks and how it will vary with the lack of cigars around me all the time.

I can comment that tobacco is a level 1 carcinogen mainly to where it is exposed. No exposure to the lungs means no chance of cancer to the lungs (or little chance). Heavy exposure to the buccal cavity - and saliva, .: esophagus) - means higher chances for all those. One can technically eliminate the risk of esophageal cancer by simply spitting whilst smoking. One theoretically multiplies the risk of esophageal cancer by drinking whilst smoking.

Stomach cancer was not tested and can very likely have an increased risk as well.

Why the drop in lung cancer and heart disease risk? Two explanations:

1. Random Variation of subject

2. Nicotine's health benefits on the circulatory system. Nicotine is a stimulant. It is also a blood thickener. Normally, people don't need coagulants due to their diet, blood pressure, lifestyle, etc but it can really help healthy people by aiding the heart. Cigar nicotine absorption is so small that it ends up being GOOD for your heart. Cigarettes are accompanied by additional chemicals that helps the intake of nicotine in your lungs and essentially equivocates injection. Nicotine in a cigar has such a small bio-availability that it simply cannot be compared. But the introduction of nicotine really helps the brain and the heart.

TL;DR: 1-2 cigars a day with moderate-low inhalation yields little health adverse side effects. The majority of the population here smoke much less than 1-2 cigars a day with very low inhalation which will theoretically yield negligible adverse side effects.

Seeing the correlation to nicotine in cigarette and cigar doses with potential cardiovascular benefits, cigars in even smaller doses could potentially increase health benefits among test samples. Perhaps I'm just biased.

The habit need not be balanced.

• Like 2

check out www.gothamcigarmuseum.com for info on clear havanas

Ok, I was really better off being ignorant about this site. All I see is a heftier credit card bill. Thank you sir.

Yeah, thanks. --grumble grumble-- lol3.gif

Poverty, here I come.

• Like 1

I have a cigar that was gifted to me from a guy at work who is in his 50's and said that it was in his grandfathers belongings.

He said his Dad didn't smoke so it was definitely his grandfathers.

It is a Wolsdorff cigar from Germany. Best I could come up with in research is that it might be from the 20's maybe.

Couple clear havanas from the '20, some Cubans form 60-70's Party PC tubes, Party hab's, perfectos, Caneys Bouquet finos couple others i forget, couple boxes from the 80's monte Espy's, ERDM PL's, party Belv, la corona's pc. etc etc

• Like 1

Thanks! I recently converted my inventory from a cigargeeks.com humidor to a custom Excel sheet that I put together. It allows for a lot more customization and analysis. I have a full sheet of different graphs. It's fun to look at from time to time. :cigar:

Have you looked at cubancigarwebsites inventory tool? You can export .csv files which go into graphs well

a question that gets asked again and again ... on every cigar forum .

the last time i answered this question ... i got called a liar because i didnt post pics .

derrek

Derek,

What can I say, I'm a company man, a home boy. I don't stray from Rob's kingdom to visit those other forums. :)

Alan

• Like 1

Derek,

What can I say, I'm a company man, a home boy. I don't stray from Rob's kingdom to visit those other forums. smile.png

Alan

alan

what can i say ??? whatever works for you ... as long as you are happy .

for the same reasons i have read 6 or 7 or 8 books on the life and times of caesar and the 10th legion ... i belong to many cigar forums . all the same info but from different authors viewpoints ... makes things clearer to me .

my oldest cigar ??? something from 2013 i think :) .

derrek

• Like 1

alan

what can i say ??? whatever works for you ... as long as you are happy .

for the same reasons i have read 6 or 7 or 8 books on the life and times of caesar and the 10th legion ... i belong to many cigar forums . all the same info but from different authors viewpoints ... makes things clearer to me .

my oldest cigar ??? something from 2013 i think :) .

derrek

Aah yes, the Garlic Wars...

Partagas Charlottes and Astorias (both from 1999 although I'm having some difficulty decoding the box of Charlottes UTCCDDE? - Anyone able to help me decode it?)

post-16616-0-93650800-1410766367_thumb.j

post-16616-0-51219200-1410766366_thumb.j

Two cabs of Des Dieux from 03.

post-16616-0-90829400-1410766370_thumb.j

post-16616-0-42660700-1410766369_thumb.j

• Like 2