NmH8HZRl.png

Cigar:

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No. 4

Box Code:

SMO MAR 12

Review Date:

9/15/2014 (Age: 2yrs, 6mos)

Appearance:

The wrapper has a very dark Colorado shade to it. There is a slight oily sheen to the cigar. Though the triple cap exhibits very visible seams, the rest of the wrapper is applied expertly. I didn't acquire this particular box from Prez, but I dare say it could pass for HQ.

First third:

The draw is just a hair on the tight side, but the smoke is dense and chewy, just the way I like it. The cigar kicks off with notes of new leather and a bit of an earthy/fruity character, almost like a tart cherry taste. There’s also a tiny bit of harshness coming through the nose, indicating this box could probably benefit from a little more aging.

Second third:

The leather and tart cherry notes take a back seat and the youthful spice picks up a notch. A really pleasant espresso note begins to develop. The finish is on the dry side.

Third third:

We’re back to the leather and cherry notes. Towards the very end, the earthy espresso makes one final appearance. The dry finish became more prevalent, giving the taste a hint of woodiness. I also had to touch up the burn at this point as it started to go out on me.

Smoking time:

1hr 25 min

Conclusion:

This isn't one of my favorite cigars, but it was nice for a change of pace. I really dig the interplay between the sour cherry and the earthy espresso tastes. Hopefully another year or two of age will mellow out the harsh edges and allow the range of flavors to marry a bit.

Rating:

Great review. Have a single left might have to do a box split

PM me I'll bite never had one! A 50/50,A three way or more I would at least like to get five or more if we are the only two!

• 1 month later...

Have some POU 2013 as well and they were smoking great but the last one I had makes me think they may now need some down time.

When you get a good box of them they are one of my favorite cigars to smoke when young.

Great review! I personally enjoy these quite a bit. That stewed cherry note and the cigars chewy nature keeps bringing me back to it. ;)