Partagas 898 Varnished .....Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Patagas 898 Varnished   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my favorites... I have boxes from 03, 07, 09 and several 14's I purchased from here... They are all amazing, the older ones are creamy, smooth and complex. The newer ones are medium to full, an

Aren't the dates on these stamped on the outer cardboard box?

#1 partagas hater lotusguy

I can't say I've ever had a Partagas that just grabbed me, wowed me, and left me wanting boxes and boxes more. I've got some 898s that are nice, and I buy a box of shorts every once in a while, but there are numerous other smokes I prefer instead.

One thumb up, one thumb sideways.

I preferred the UV to the V.

I have never really thought that these were great cigars. I think they put all the good ones in the Seleccion Privada boxes but I am dating myself now!

I have some from '08 and maybe I should try them out.

Cheers! -Piggy

I've got two left of my 04/08 HQ box from the Czar...stunning. I would say that maybe 5 were in the 87 range. All others 90-93. Hoping the new box continues the trend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them, it isn't the best of cigars but for what they cost you get an honest lengthy smoke.

I know this is somewhat of a blasphemous thing to say but I call them the double shorts...

Not overly complex but has enough to keep me entertained for the time they require, never had a fresh one though, always at least two years.

Partagas is sort of like cohiba where they need age to shine. Too many smoke them young and find them lackluster much like rass. Aged d4s are magic but young d4s are just "good" and "ok" as are shorts. Presidentes i've only smoked up to two years and have been great. A very traditional partagas flavor which I believe they redid the blend some years ago and better than vintage ones I've had. I've had some d5s that were very good and a recent production 898 that was miles better than my 12s, actually blew me away. They can discard the p2 and lusi for all I care, no opinion on the e2.

If you're like claus then you just don't like bold flavor innocent.gif

• Like 1

Purchased a 10 count box 2012......First one was Heavenly, and 3 others I've had were really plugged. pod.gif

Yes. Dates on cardboard box.

To avoid confusion I always copy the box code inside the lid in pencil - that way it stays with the box. I do that for all cardboard packed boxes.

On topic: aged properly they become a refined smoke. Most of my boxes are still aging but some are good as gold to me.

• Like 1

The 898 Varnished box I currently have on the go are an '08 or '09 HQ box that I got in 2011 or so from here, IIRC. I do quite like them, and definitely get that "mongrel" aspect that so many profess with these. Dank earth (forest floor with some damp hardwood), dark roast rich coffee, mild all-spice, a tinge of bittersweet / rich dark chocolate, some wet old leather (chewed baseball glove lacing, lol) - and depending on the roll/cigar, it can hit with a whack of power. I do love the dalias format too.

But for me, they're definitely outside my top ten, although I think they're a must in a decently stocked humidor with a variety of at least 20 vitolas, in my opinion. And, I'm not overly a "fan" of the Partagas profile itself (which I myself personally find surprising, given my love for the RA blend). Yet I currently (and will likely always) ensure that I always have on hand four from the Partagas line - D4's, 898's, P2's, and Lusi's (in that order). All have their place in my humidor, and there's aspects of each that I really do enjoy from time to time as a change of pace for me.

I also find that a dalias is right on that borderline where a smoker who's more used to larger formats may "over smoke" the cigar and be too fast. While similar gauged to coronas/petit coronas, the longer dalia can be less forgiving in the long run if they smoke it too fast and "sour up" the end of the cigar to a harshness. Not sure if that's an aspect here though, but just a thought.

Other than that, while I get the different flavour aspects to the blend itself, it doesn't (for whatever reasons) overly entice or satisfy me, so I can definitely understand how some people may not "get" the blend or this particular cigar.

• Like 1

Easily my all-time favorite Cuban cigar. If I could have a limitless supply of only one cigar for the rest of my life, it would be the 898v. I've had several boxes in the last few years and they've all been as awesome as the last.

Yep, definitely a thumbs up.

~ Greg ~

If you're like claus then you just don't like bold flavor innocent.gif

Nah, I just don't like the Leather, leather, LEATHER, leaTHER, ... flavor "evolution" of Partagas in general :P