Partagas 898 Varnished .....Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Patagas 898 Varnished   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Surprised nobody has mentioned smooth, creamy smoke. The few (fresh) that I have smoked were notably creamy. Not in flavor, but texture of the smoke. I love 'em! One of my favorites.

My only drawback is finding the time to smoke one. They're close to 2 hrs for me. The good side of that is the end of the box will get some age before it's gone.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my favorites... I have boxes from 03, 07, 09 and several 14's I purchased from here... They are all amazing, the older ones are creamy, smooth and complex. The newer ones are medium to full, an

Aren't the dates on these stamped on the outer cardboard box?

#1 partagas hater lotusguy

Is it hopeful thinking that a 12:12 898 is around the corner?

All in all, I've enjoyed one in my life. Been one of those cigars that I've always never bought a box of. The cheapness in me always ends up paying an extra $ 20-40 for a box of double corona.

Nice guess.

If you build it ........

Have had a couple from a box I bought blind from '14 and the wrapper seems like it's made from a flame retardant material. I have had this in a few PSD4s as well from a couple years ago (not the whole box) but no other cigar has burned this way. The filler seems to burn okay but the wrapper seems to not burn at the same rate and apprears to have large flakes or ash when it finally catches fire.

I bought a 1o box from '12 a while back and loved them which is why I went with the full 24. Hope the rest turn out...

All Partagas need 3-4 years IMO. Maybe more to really be refined and show all notes of the smoke. A 5-7 year old 898V is straight handsome. A 5yr old D4 and Short the same. 898Vs with decent age GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST FTW.

Jfire party *****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about being in the minority....lol

The 898v remains a mystery to me. The dalia size is one of my favorite, but I've always prefered the Lusitania, and even a good D4.

I can remember some good Partagas de Partagas No.1 (the other dalia, in dress box), which was a much modest cigar, but I've never been really "wowed" by a 898v...

• Like 2

All Partagas need 3-4 years IMO.

I personally disagree but this makes the entire cigar world more interesting. I prefer young shorts, d4,and 898 over aged ones. Don't get me wrong they truly wonderful aged, but I do like them bold more. That's it, and it is only me I guess. However I will never touch again Mille Fleurs under 2 yrs.

• Like 1

I personally disagree but this makes the entire cigar world more interesting. I prefer young shorts, d4,and 898 over aged ones. Don't get me wrong they truly wonderful aged, but I do like them bold more. That's it, and it is only me I guess. However I will never touch again Mille Fleurs under 2 yrs.

It's not only you. I intentionally look for marcas that tend to smoke well young, because I really don't have the time, money, or humidor space to wait 4-6 bloody years to smoke my cigars. (Nothing against those of you who do, but I simply don't.) So, having said that, Partagás is one of my favorite marcas, and I think one of the most consistent marcas in terms of flavor and construction.

I've literally never smoked a bad 898 in my life (and I abhor the overuse of "literally" and use it sparingly and deliberately). Absolutely not a single bad one, or even a single one that was below par, for that matter. My only regret is not being able to buy more of them, although it helps that they're available in 10's. So yes, I like them a whole hell of a lot, and I don't think they need anything like 4 years of aging.