Partagas 898 Varnished .....Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Patagas 898 Varnished   

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my favorites... I have boxes from 03, 07, 09 and several 14's I purchased from here... They are all amazing, the older ones are creamy, smooth and complex. The newer ones are medium to full, an

Aren't the dates on these stamped on the outer cardboard box?

#1 partagas hater lotusguy

I love Partagas cigars how ever the 6 or so 898's that I have had have not been that good now I will be honest the first one I had was awful it tasted like glue and smelled like chemical, a few months later I had another crack at it this one was much better and this one is probably the only good 898 I have ever had the rest were just not worth smoking it might be that I have just had bad luck with the 898 and Plan on revisiting it in the future but based on the ones I have had thus far not impressed so thumbs down.

From the 2013 boxes I've smoked from, its a big thumbs up here. I have enjoyed all I have smoked and find them better then the Lusi's that I have smoked.

Had a 10 box from 08 totally blew me away. Got a 25 box from 09 and they are just missing something so I haven't tried any recent production.

I had pretty much the same experience with a 10 box from 2012. Incredible cigar and I went through the box in a few weeks. I bought a 25xbox of 2013 and whilst excellent they just weren't quite up to the 2012 lot. Still, a top-notch smoke though. Two thumbs from me

Like the size and although I'm down to my last few from LAR MAY 12, I doubt I'll be buying anymore.

While moments of this cigar are quite good, I have a problem with most Partagas: in between the blow-your-doors-back brilliant moments (which last for a puff or 2), they are sort of your average Cuban flavor with twang, earth, and spice. While this is nice, I prefer a little more character, especially with a $10+ stick.

I've never had any HQ or PSP 898s, but with the way I feel, I doubt I'll go out of my way to try one. My current favorite lonsdale, the PL Encantos, is a tour-de-force from light to nub. That's how I like my dalias!

The 898v remains a mystery to me. The dalia size is one of my favorite, but I've always prefered the Lusitania, and even a good D4.

I can remember some good Partagas de Partagas No.1 (the other dalia, in dress box), which was a much modest cigar, but I've never been really "wowed" by a 898v...

I still have a box of these... Might have to pull one out and smoke it today...!

Thanks for the reminder! -P

Like the size and although I'm down to my last few from LAR MAY 12, I doubt I'll be buying anymore.

While moments of this cigar are quite good, I have a problem with most Partagas: in between the blow-your-doors-back brilliant moments (which last for a puff or 2), they are sort of your average Cuban flavor with twang, earth, and spice. While this is nice, I prefer a little more character, especially with a $10+ stick.

I've never had any HQ or PSP 898s, but with the way I feel, I doubt I'll go out of my way to try one. My current favorite lonsdale, the PL Encantos, is a tour-de-force from light to nub. That's how I like my dalias!

Really? I think 898s blow encantos out the water, I turn them down along with 1966s when offered to me not even close.

• 8 months later...

Scored a few singles from an aged box (2007) in the Dubai Towers LCDH and they are phenomenal. I have a box of -14s that are down for a 5-6 year snooze to try to replicate those singles. Sadly, I missed the 24:24 last night or I would have another box in hibernation.

Really? I think 898s blow encantos out the water, I turn them down along with 1966s when offered to me not even close.

I agree, although, I bought my brother a box of 898s and he did not like them. It may have something to do with class!

I don't have any experience with aged 8-9-8's, and I've just gotten into my first box of these cigars which I got last spring dated RAE OCT14. I've smoked 3 of them so far and they have all been excellent, really excellent. One had a tight draw but was smokable and all of them had lots of creamy smoke and lots of flavor. Lots of dark spice, floral and earthy over a deep salty twang...very nice! I expect that this box will not last more than two years because they are so good I want to keep smoking them fairly regularly, so I'm planning on more soon when I'm flush so that I'll have a few to put away to age. I do look forward to seeing how they develop with a few years on them.

Definitely a thumbs up!

Oh the 898, now on the 24:24 . . .

The 898 is my third favorite Partagas behind a good D4 and the short. That is not to say I don't love the 898 - it's more the fact that I have smoked many many decent 898's that keep me thinking, "it just needs 6 more months." Of the cigars I have smoked the 898's are the most frustrating because I can sense their potential when I smoke young ones, but I just don't have the patience to wait 5+ years. Of the older 898's I have smoked I was WOW'd by them. This is not to say some young 898 won't "wow" you, but it's less likely IMO. If you have the time and patience to lay your boxes down for a long nap (Cohiba lovers) then the 898 is a cigar for you. But don't expect an elegant version of a D4 or any other Partagas because it's blend is unique. I will always have a box in my humidor, as long as they are produced, and if put on the cutting block I would stock up for sure. I just would not recommend this cigar to a new smoker.

Oh the 898, now on the 24:24 . . .

Ermagerd! I can't believe I missed seeing those listed up there... and now they're all gone. Well, fiddlesticks.

The 898 and Lusis have gone back and forth as my favorite Partagas, though I think if I had to chose one over the other I'd have to go with the 898s. The D4 and Shorts are close right behind. I've liked the P2s when you get good ones... just seems like they've been harder to come across compared to the others. I did send an email Di's way for two boxes of those P2s, so while I wasn't quick enough to snag more 898s, perhaps I at least was quick enough to get the P2s.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Temperamental little buggers. When there on, wow good cigar, but there a mixed bag. I'll get crap from the same box I get a glorious stick.

Still, I like them. There not in my rotation but I'll toast one a month or so.

Smoked one the other night. Not ready...loads of potential tho. They're gonna be stellar with a lil more time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk