Quick Look: Cohiba Robusto Supremo EL 2014

Several of these pre-release sticks floating around. Your pics confirm my suspicion that they are not kosher. Just hope you didn't pay $50/ea as some others did.

Same thing happened with the 1966 and the BHKs. All kinds of bloggers got their hands on some pre release that turned out fake. VERY odd that these would have such perfect bands and a nice looking cigar to boot. From what I have seen, alot of pre release fakes are unbanded. If the cigar is truly that far off in size, what a lazy fake! ?.. but that's why I wouldn't be so quick to call it out. It's too lazy and too wrong if that makes any sense....?

Here's one I got at the festival in february. I smoked this about a month or so ago.

A bit harsh and boring is what I remember. Also, far to fat for me.

Though harsh and boring is what I said about the Cohiba 1966 when I had one at the 2011 festival. I have enjoyed a few of those since.

post-3053-0-53086800-1411741799_thumb.jp

post-3053-0-71622600-1411741802_thumb.jp

That's a bummer mate. Getting it first has its price and risk I suppose, especially in Cuba. Not that I will be a player for any of these, real or really fake; taking the time to share the moment, good and bad, and the embarrassing gets you a kudos!

Kudos to the guys with the sharp eyes too…

Cheers! -Piggy

I get what you're trying to say Shlomo. I understand the frustration associated with being swindled through fakes but the story in itself is quite interesting and worth investigating about. What if some of these cigars are samples of trial runs or something else... I guess my curiosity knows little boundary ;)

• Like 1

That's a bummer mate. Getting it first has its price and risk I suppose, especially in Cuba. Not that I will be a player for any of these, real or really fake; taking the time to share the moment, good and bad, and the embarrassing gets you a kudos!

Kudos to the guys with the sharp eyes too…

Cheers! -Piggy

That's a good point. Pre-release cigars are always a risk. Counterfeiters know people want them.

Getting them at a festival dinner is one thing.

I've seen very, very knowledgeable, well-known people in the cigar world getting caught out using any other method.

You're in good company Frank! :)

• Like 2

That's a good point. Pre-release cigars are always a risk. Counterfeiters know people want them.

Getting them at a festival dinner is one thing.

I've seen very, very knowledgeable, well-known people in the cigar world getting caught out using any other method.

You're in good company Frank! smile.png

:lol: Thanks? It makes total sense to me. The best time for a counterfeiter to strike would be prior to the actual release. There's cigars all over Cuba, it's not unfathomable that legit bands can go missing and wind up on farmies or other unbanded cigars. Like I said, the actual stick is a beauty. Would love to know what it actually is, but I seriously doubt that will ever be known.

Why would a counterfeiter make it much longer than it is supposed to be?

Why go to all the trouble of rolling an immaculate cigar, finding legit bands, duping someone who goes 3+ times a year, only to crap out and make it LONGER than normal?

Doesn't that even cost more?

Sent by the Enigma on BlackBerry.

Why would a counterfeiter make it much longer than it is supposed to be?

Why go to all the trouble of rolling an immaculate cigar, finding legit bands, duping someone who goes 3+ times a year, only to crap out and make it LONGER than normal?

Doesn't that even cost more?

First off. He said they were a gift to him so he doesn't feel too bad about it. He's enjoyed the few he's smoked already. I've made him aware of the situation, he's OK with it. Your points on the logistics are valid. Why go through the trouble to screw up that badly? You have one too, the stick is perfect, is it not? All I can think of is that cigar and those bands were easily available to someone who took advantage of it and sent it out. With Habanos being late on the delivery once again, the perfect climate is created for tricksters to do their thing. If no one's seen the real thing yet, perhaps they can be taken in by the next best "closest" thing to it. Be honest, you palmed that cigar too, saw how nice it was and didn't think twice. I know I did. You were making a date in your head as to when you were going to smoke it. So did I. I posted pics of it alongside two of it's famous brothers for comparison and didn't bother to check the official specs. Thankfully that was pointed out and here we are. :) In my 5+ years of CC smoking and my two visits to Cuba the only thing that is clear to me is that nothing is truly clear. :) Anything can and does happen in this crazy hobby we love. All I know is that I've got a fake CSR in my hands that looks and smells so nice that I will smoke it anyway. The only problem is, that if it's a great cigar. What in the blue hell is it actually!? And where can I get more? :P

• Like 1

I would just smoke it Frank, that is if you can fit it into your mouth!!! I smoked a fake bhk56 that was actually a lot better than a genuine bhk56 so you have nothing to lose.

:lol: from the pics, the RG seems the same as the BHK56 so I should be able to manage it. And I will definitely smoke it and write up a review. Like I said, if this thing is any good to smoke, what the hell is it after all?

Good to hear he took it well.

He described it very well and judging by the feet - they should be a stellar smoke.

You have one too, the stick is perfect, is it not?

Be honest, you palmed that cigar too, saw how nice it was and didn't think twice.

You were making a date in your head as to when you were going to smoke it.

It is.

I did.

Tomorrow. :(

• Like 1

I have some custom rolls that are the exact same size, but with a covered foot from Juanita at the Riviera. The have a dark maduro leaf on them. I got them less than one week after the festival. Those are the closest to the real deal I have seen. They taste like a young chocolaty cohiba IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to add here...

Aside from any potential counterfeit issues with this particular cigar, it IS important for members to note that there are MANY pre-release cigars that are found which are longer or shorter (or slightly different ring gauges) that are different from the actual specs as released by H S.A. upon the cigar's release. I myself have received a number of these over the years, with some coming directly from those involved in the actual rolling and/or blending of the to-be-released cigars, and for whatever blending / flavour-profile / flavour-evolution reasons, the blend was kept the same, but the sizing was just slightly changed (sometimes, this is due to H S.A. releasing the cigar format particulars before the cigar itself is 100% finished off).

• Like 1