Review: FAKE Cohiba Robusto Supremo EL 2014

So, this sad tale begins here.

Fake CRS review.

Vitals: RG56 (not the 58RG it should be) Length 6.27inches (not the 5 inches it should be) :rolleyes:

Prelight observations.

Great roll, despite being fake. Solid feel. Smooth wrapper, not hard spots.

Aroma at cold: cocoa, coffee (a good start?)

1st Third

Need to get out the Credo punch cut to tackle this beast.

post-6763-0-90406500-1411948256_thumb.jp

Successful cut. Not too shabby. Was expecting to see a nice divot at the head though.

post-6763-0-41389200-1411948331_thumb.jp

Upon commencing, there's a firm but manageable draw, some sweet notes, cocoa, wonky burn to start. toasty tobacco, some nuttiness too, more cocoa. good amount of smoke, very “fresh” taste to it. young, but not harsh. toasty tobacco. mild bodied at this point (½ inch in)

post-6763-0-70570600-1411948377_thumb.jp

..some youth showing the next few puffs, slightly tannic, nothing hrrible though. cedary notes, dry tannic finish, more woodsy notes, draw feels better, very relaxing cigar to smoke, nothing too exciting at this point TBH. a few more ccoa puffs, still mild. All this tobacco rolled into a monster stick and so far, not very dynamic. Smooth yes, interesting. Not at this point. Still a long way to go. wrapper cracking about the burn line, which has improved drastically. very earthy aroma coming off the smoke itself. similar to some BHK’s I’ve had. a few puffs with a slight marshmallow taste on the finish, close to burn caramel as well, a bit more cocoa towards the end of this third

2nd Third

Not too much going on at the start. Toasty tobacco, dry finish with each puff. Draw still good, burn as well. Very slight pepper on the finish. some of that “freshness” again. This is very light. So much tobacco, so little range. I’m almost wondering it this is a fresh farm roll. All the leaves are from the same field. Could explain the banality of the cigar if this is indeed a fake. If this were a reband of an existing cigar to cash in on the anticipation of the CRS’ release the only cigar that meets the spec is the SCDLH O’Reilly. If it is indeed that, it’s sad. Back to the cigar, more toasty tobacco, not much else. Still nothing going on.

post-6763-0-89718100-1411948429_thumb.jp

It doesn’t taste horrible which is good, but it is lacking. Had this been a legit CRS and it was smoking like this, I would not buy a box. Period. The cigar gives up some more cocoa, slight nuttiness on the finish. I will say it’s smooth, but that’s not enough. The cigar is starting to leave a ashy taste on the finish. pod.gif IF this keeps up i’m bailing on it. :tantrum: A few puffs of toasty tobacco and then finally something different a bit of anise. But..then the cigar goes out. A quick relight fixes that. Construction is the least of this sticks’ worries. More of the same. Still in the 2nd third. Still smooth but nothing of note. And more of less.......so....

Pitched!! thumbsdwn.gif

There was nothing going on with this cigar. I'll reiterate, so much tobacco, so little taste. A real shame. Given the actual measurements, I was hoping that this would be an SCDLH O'Reilly in disguise. No such luck. Having said that, I've never smoked an O'Reilly but the reviews I've read of them gave me a great impression. The cigar I just attempted to smoke, did not. Consider it a fluke.

Another thing that gives this away. The band didn't exactly fit for a56RG let alone a 58RG one. The printing to the left of the band picture below (white box) reads 48-54 which indicates the min and max RG for the band.

post-6763-0-01282700-1411948959_thumb.jp

In Conclusion.

A beautiful looking and decent smelling roll. An absolute sham of a smoke. Not worth it. Consider this review "for science" and the bookend to the sad tale. I salute my friend for giving me what he thought was legit. We both missed the obvious signs, so I can't fault him in any way.

There was a bit of a silver lining though. I lit up a glorious 2009 Trini Reyes to make up for the disappointment and to give my taste buds something to enjoy. :)

Score: 50 (for aesthetics and for not making me toss my cookies only)

Here's some bonus "potato cam" shots of the stick dissected. (battery died on my proper camera)

post-6763-0-96466400-1411949158_thumb.jp

post-6763-0-84690800-1411949168_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...