Cohiba Robusto drink pairing for Live Review, alcoholic or non

We're having another Live Review this week, room for more! Alastair has it pinned in the Water Hole if you want to join!

I've smoked a few Cohibas but only one Cohiba Robusto. I really like a good beverage pairing and believe that for me it makes a substantial difference and varies per cigar. I know some say everything goes well with any CC, but I'm hoping some of you will share your personal success pairings. I'm thinking about a tawny port because of how it went with a Behike 52 some time ago, but last couple times I tried it with other CC's I felt it overpowered the cigar.

If you've only smoked one CoRo go with water as your pairing. That way you'll be able to concentrate on the cigars flavours.

Good point! I've done simply water with several cigars, or at least started with water. But I must say the most enjoyable smokes I've ever had were paired with a more flavorful beverage.

I would suggest some milk mate biggrin.png lol, see you Friday (Thursday for me) ( will stick to single malt or martini)

smile.png I may try a single malt this time...put my big girl pants on!!

• Like 1

I'm part of a pairing group, we meet every week pairing all kinds of drinks with cigars.. For the Cohiba Robusto, I would either pair it with a Scotch or rum... I've personally never been a fan of beer, especially with cigars..

Scotch: I would choose something along the lines of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Lagavulin 16 or Aberlour a'bunadh

As for Rum: I would choose Ron Zacapa XO or maybe Ron Diplomatico reserva exclusive which is a very unique rum, its quite sweet, and really thick. Almost like a syrup, in all honestly the way it tastes, kind of reminds me of cognac... However, it is a beautiful rum, and pairs very well with the Cohiba robusto!

Hopefully this helps!

I'm part of a pairing group, we meet every week pairing all kinds of drinks with cigars.. For the Cohiba Robusto, I would either pair it with a Scotch or rum... I've personally never been a fan of beer, especially with cigars..

Scotch: I would choose something along the lines of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Lagavulin 16 or Aberlour a'bunadh

As for Rum: I would choose Ron Zacapa XO or maybe Ron Diplomatico reserva exclusive which is a very unique rum, its quite sweet, and really thick. Almost like a syrup, in all honestly the way it tastes, kind of reminds me of cognac... However, it is a beautiful rum, and pairs very well with the Cohiba robusto!

Hopefully this helps!

That's awesome! Do you all share any of your results online?

lookaround.gif or: how to kill the nuances of a Cohiba robusto. Laphroaig and Lagavullin are so peaty and smoky, I love them but I wouldn't touch them before the cigar reaches its 3rd third…

• Like 1

lookaround.gif or: how to kill the nuances of a Cohiba robusto. Laphroaig and Lagavullin are so peaty and smoky, I love them but I wouldn't touch them before the cigar reaches its 3rd third…

Surprisingly enough, they did not over power the cigar. We've paired them all with the Cohiba robusto, and found as long as you're sipping the scotch and not "chugging" it down, it really doesn't take over by any means. In fact we found that after taking a puff, followed by a sip of the Lagavllin, the peat actually complimented the spices that came off the finish of the Cohiba. All 6 of our members agreed It was a fantastic pairing!

Good question Brad. From the answers, I might have to leave the Miller 64 in the fridge and grab a single malt.

Maybe we should have some of that Exotic Asian food to help out your Miller 64 :)

• Like 1

We're having another Live Review this week, room for more! Alastair has it pinned in the Water Hole if you want to join!

I've smoked a few Cohibas but only one Cohiba Robusto. I really like a good beverage pairing and believe that for me it makes a substantial difference and varies per cigar. I know some say everything goes well with any CC, but I'm hoping some of you will share your personal success pairings. I'm thinking about a tawny port because of how it went with a Behike 52 some time ago, but last couple times I tried it with other CC's I felt it overpowered the cigar.

Whatever you do Brad, don't ever pick a Korean rice beer laugh.png

• Like 3

Whatever you do Brad, don't ever pick a Korean rice beer laugh.png

You know, some of us in the U.S. like Bud Light... has a little rice in it I believe :) Probably not the same as the rice beer Rob was referring to

:) I think we grew some sorghum as cattle feed...have you tried it?!

I have tried Redbridge. I used to work at a hippie, I mean health food, store. It's gluten free. Not bad. But you've seen my taste in beer. I'll drink anything alcoholic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A cocktail of el dorado rum 12 y - one finger - and a light beer. Might Sound strange, I know, but its good !

One finger? :) all mixed??