A Good Bourbon for a Rum Drinker?

polarbear

I'm a Rum and Gin guy

Always have been, but lately I've been curious about Bourbons as it seems there's a bit of Bourbon craze on at the moment

What Bourbons would you suggest a Rum lover like myself try in an effort to broaden my horizons?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mate, you can never go wrong with my two favourites: Bookers Bourbon and or Makers Mark

woodford reserve and knob creek, both run about 30-35$ a bottle

Angel's Envy does it for a few of my friends that are rum lovers.

For a Rum drinker new to Bourbon I would highly recommend the New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon as a starter

bbb_zps16628b2c.jpg

http://newhollandbrew.com/our-spirits/beer-barrel-bourbon/

Much smoother and less bite than most with a bit of sweetness as well.

Maker's Mark here went form $33 to $45. i'm ever so pissed.

Anyway, one that tastes like Rum, eh? Perhaps just stick with rum? Can't think of one off the top of my head right now - all don't have those sugar cane effects that rum has.

Perhaps Red Stag? That KINDA tastes like a Rum if you think hard enough?

I dunno if Aldi deliver up that way but get hold of some Four Roses Small Batch or Bakers. Blantons is an honourable mention. If you don't like either ill fly up there and finish the bottle!

I drink more 4 Roses than anything else, closely followed by Dickel no.12 (Tennessee Whiskey) and Elijah Craig. It's hard to wrong with any of these I've listed.

Love Bourbon. Try some of the ryes making their way here too, go wonderful with a smoke.

Bulleit seems to be polarizing, but is one of my favorites as someone who only started getting into bourbon over the last year. The orange label is regular bourbon and slightly sweeter than the green label rye, so coming from rum you might find it an easier transition.

Prichard's Double Chocolate Bourbon

443.png

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're new to bourbon so wont suggest more costly tipples. Four roses small batch is unparalleled for value in my opinion. If availability is an issue then woodford reserve is a great widely available bourbon. I wouldn't make a bourbon recommendation with rum in mind. If you want something sweeter, get some bitters and make an old fashioned.

Not sure if you're looking for somthing similar to rum or just to get into a good bourbon. Either way love these Four Roses, Elijah Craig 12yr or Buffalo Trace.

Second on the Buffalo Trace. I'm a rum and gin guy myself and I really enjoy BT, Woodford, and George Dickel.

Wilkey

Thanks for all the replies, guys

I am not after a rum-like bourbon, as I may as well just keep drinking Rum

I was more after something that if someone came to you and said, "I wanna try a good bourbon for the first time, what do you suggest?"

I'll do some digging into the recommended tipples and let you know how I go

Thanks and keep em coming

While in Louisville KY a while back, arguably a place people should know their Bourbons, I asked the bartender which Bourbons she would recommend.

She advised Elijah Craig (standard edition), Blantons, and Old Pogue.

All solid representations of the spirit.

You should know it was the Scots that created Bourbon as they brought their skills to the new world and had to work with what was available.

Ask the Hatfields and McCoys!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, guys

I am not after a rum-like bourbon, as I may as well just keep drinking Rum

I was more after something that if someone came to you and said, "I wanna try a good bourbon for the first time, what do you suggest?"

I'll do some digging into the recommended tipples and let you know how I go

Thanks and keep em coming

My suggestion earlier was based on thinking you were wanting a "sweeter" bourbon. My go to everyday bourbons are Buffalo Trace and Willet Reserve.

Not to take away from the question, but I can't get my taste buds around bourbon. Said as much to a former co-worker and he kindly lined up a tasting of half a dozen premium examples for me to try. Afterwards I gifted him the near full bottle of bourbon I picked up the last time I was State-side (Elijah Craig).

I feel a bit of shame...

My suggestion earlier was based on thinking you were wanting a "sweeter" bourbon. My go to everyday bourbons are Buffalo Trace and Willet Reserve.

Both quite good. The Eagle Rare (from Buffalo Trace) is also a great value and accessible Bourbon

• Like 1

It's not a bourbon obviously, but based on your appreciation of rum...I'd encourage you to track down a bottle of Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean cask. Simply fantastic.

• Like 1

It's not a bourbon obviously, but based on your appreciation of rum...I'd encourage you to track down a bottle of Balvenie 14 yr Caribbean cask. Simply fantastic.

One I also enjoy, though as you stated, not a Bourbon. Decent crossover though!