Any preferred cooler type?

torsion

All,

The time has come to prepare a coolidor, after only being a member on here since September, I have in recent weeks been sucked into the great 12:12 deals offered and have quickly outgrown my new wooden humidor (like some of you already warned me!)

I have several boxes on the way from our host...so need to get the storage for these sorted.

I have done several searches on here for ideas on how to build/construct the coolidor which is my best option due to budget.

I would really love an Aristocrat humidor at some point but don't have the space or funds right now.

A few questions:

1) It seems that the preferred method is bead for humidification?

2) Cedar lined if storing sticks in original boxes?

3) I see some blokes using Oust fans to circulate the humidity, needed?

4) How the hell do I hide this from the wife!? innocent.gif perhaps OLH is the safest option!! nyah.gif

Thinking of this one http://www.igloo-store.com/detail/IGL+SPORTSMAN+52

I'm probably not the first or last to say 12:12 and LFTH/LFTW should carry a warning. I have an addictive personality and it doesn't help, it's way too easy... peace.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahh, that is the rub. Then it makes sense. You know, two coolers and a piece of nice wood makes for a fine coffee table. Extend the concept: night stand, end table, ottoman, kiddies' play house. I rec

I purchased a green coleman X-treme 150 qt at walmart. They are around $70.00. It has the grooves like a fishing cooler so you can build shelves. This is the same cooler as mine, but it is not my c

1 150 qt coleman marine cooler... 1 lb heartfelt beads... (I use 65%) no cedar lining... a couple reliable hygrometers... an air conditioned house...and BAM! Foolproof storage for years to come.

I have a bunch of the cheap blue 48qt coolers that I picked up at Walmart for about $20- $25.

1. I use about 1lbs of 70% beads in each one.

2. No cedar, just wash out and let air dry for a few days. Fill with boxes or cedar trays.

3. Have Oust fans but not sure if they make much of a difference.

4. Don't have a wife so not issues.

I have a bunch of the cheap blue 48qt coolers that I picked up at Walmart for about $20- $25.

1. I use about 1lbs of 70% beads in each one.

2. No cedar, just wash out and let air dry for a few days. Fill with boxes or cedar trays.

3. Have Oust fans but not sure if they make much of a difference.

4. Don't have a wife so not issues.

Heartfelt beads?

1) It seems that the preferred method is bead for humidification?

2) Cedar lined if storing sticks in original boxes?

3) I see some blokes using Oust fans to circulate the humidity, needed?

4) How the hell do I hide this from the wife!? innocent.gif perhaps OLH is the safest option!! nyah.gif

1. I am partial to Coleman 48-quart no-wheels. Good seal. Good wall thickness. Maximum space for box storage. The cooler you linked is nice. I try not to spend more than $30 US. More money for cigars.
  2. Cedar lining is not necessary. Your boxes will do the job. If you like, break up some old boxes and use those. No need to get fancy unless you enjoy doing so.
  3. I don't use fans. About once a year I move boxes around. If you pack them as tightly as I do, there won't be really good circulation pathways anyhow.
  4. Basement. The 10 or 11 coolers I have down there blend into to the back walls of the movie room. Really. Yeah. Like you don't even see them at all.
  5. I use my own silica kitty litter, unscented. All controversy aside, they just work. Have been working for nigh on 10 years without issue.

Wilkey

1. I am partial to Coleman 48-quart no-wheels. Good seal. Good wall thickness. Maximum space for box storage. The cooler you linked is nice. I try not to spend more than $30 US. More money for cigars.
  2. Cedar lining is not necessary. Your boxes will do the job. If you like, break up some old boxes and use those. No need to get fancy unless you enjoy doing so.
  3. I don't use fans. About once a year I move boxes around. If you pack them as tightly as I do, there won't be really good circulation pathways anyhow.
  4. Basement. The 10 or 11 coolers I have down there blend into to the back walls of the movie room. Really. Yeah. Like you don't even see them at all.
  5. I use my own silica kitty litter, unscented. All controversy aside, they just work. Have been working for nigh on 10 years without issue.

Wilkey

Cheers Wilkey - good to get other opinions, I have also looked at the Coleman's, nice and decent price, I might even go with them. Was somehow thinking the green would detract from being so obvious lol - mate I wish I lived in a house as I'd have more luck stashing the boxes like you have described! Currently live in an apartment so she's going to know lol

1 150 qt coleman marine cooler...

1 lb heartfelt beads... (I use 65%)

no cedar lining...

a couple reliable hygrometers...

an air conditioned house...and

BAM! Foolproof storage for years to come. When you run out of room, repeat as necessary.

My hygros read 70 deg f and 63-65% rh at any give time. I don't use cedar and I don't use fans. Cigars store and smoke spectacularly and have for over 3 years this way.

My only maintenance is recharging my beads every month or so (I live in a desert climate with an ambient rh of between 10% and 40%)

• Like 3

I forgot the answer to the most important question, No. 4.

You will get some grief from the wife on the cooler but that is ok. Keep her in the loop as far as the cooler goes and always keep it full. Put it in a closet, put it in a basement, put it anywhere she won't see it every day and she will forget it is there.

Now...when your OLH hits triple digits or worse, that you'd better keep to yourself or the proverbial poop will hit the fan! jester.gif

• Like 2

Here's the one you want! They Yeti 420

5' long 2' deep, 1' wide - has to hold a fair few boxes.

Only $1,299.....

yt420wf_new.jpg

• Like 2

Got my 52 qt coleman at Target for like $25. Use 65% heartfelt beads and no problems out of the three of them. Sometimes getting the smell out can be tough. I used hot tap water, let it soak for about 1 hour then washed with scent free soap. Left open for 2-3 days, no more plastic odor. Dont use any lining, just store in the boxes. I do have a cedar tray for the singles I do have. Dont know what I'll do with them when my Aristocrat arrives.

Got my 52 qt coleman at Target for like $25. Use 65% heartfelt beads and no problems out of the three of them. Sometimes getting the smell out can be tough. I used hot tap water, let it soak for about 1 hour then washed with scent free soap. Left open for 2-3 days, no more plastic odor. Dont use any lining, just store in the boxes. I do have a cedar tray for the singles I do have. Dont know what I'll do with them when my Aristocrat arrives.

You'll keep them around as they'll start to fill up again 3-6 months after your Aristocrat is out of space.

This from experience shead.gif

• Like 3

post-6619-0-43469800-1413383533_thumb.jp

150 Qt. Coleman sea chest.

65% heartfelt beads. 1.5 lbs

I put 1/8 inch thick Spanish cedar on bottom and half of top. Oust fan. Works great but I wouldnt even use cedar on my next one i dont know that its necessarry. Live in more humid climate so I dont have to charge beads.

I forgot the answer to the most important question, No. 4.

You will get some grief fromfingers box wife on the cooler but that is ok. Keep her in the loop as far as the cooler goes and always keep it full. Put it in a closet, put it in a basement, put it anywhere she won't see it every day and she will forget it is there.

Now...when your OLH hits triple digits or worse, that you'd better keep to yourself or the proverbial poop will hit the fan! :jester:

Oh, I forgot to tell you this too. I always try to get home first from work or send them to a friends house or I'll recieve a text like this: Shawn, your f ing box of Serie E 2 just arrived . How much were those. Of course I usually tell her a lie till she looked them up once and saw the price. I was had. Better to be honest about it really. Imo.

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to tell you this too. I always try to get home first from work or send them to a friends house or I'll recieve a text like this: Shawn, your f ing box of Serie E 2 just arrived . How much were those. Of course I usually tell her a lie till she looked them up once and saw the price. I was had. Better to be honest about it really. Imo.

I managed to intercept my first 12:12 delivery yesterday as the wife was at work so quickly got the boxes straight into my large travel humi peace.gif , got another few boxes on the way but now lacking storage so need to get the cooler set up asap. Not going to escape her finding out at that point innocent.gif

I managed to intercept my first 12:12 delivery yesterday as the wife was at work so quickly got the boxes straight into my large travel humi :peace: , got another few boxes on the way but now lacking storage so need to get the cooler set up asap. Not going to escape her finding out at that point :innocent:

Are you going to go with the 150 quart? I would recommend them. It gives you some room to work with not always be stacked too deep but surprising how fast it can fill up. I also have a 48 quart. Both work well. Cheers.

Are you going to go with the 150 quart? I would recommend them. It gives you some room to work with not always be stacked too deep but surprising how fast it can fill up. I also have a 48 quart. Both work well. Cheers.

I think the 150 quart will be a little large to start with so will go for a smaller one. I can imagine those filling up quick though :)

I think the 150 quart will be a little large to start with so will go for a smaller one. I can imagine those filling up quick though :)

Definitely your call but you'd be surprized how fast a cooler gets filled. X2 on the 150 qt sea chest :)

I have a Coleman Xtreme 150 qt. cooler. For its size, it's a bargain and it works great. Goes for around $70 from Wal-mart online. I've been using kitty litter for humidification, which has been working perfectly. I would suggest you go big. I've had it since July, and it's almost filled already.

• Like 1

I have a Coleman Xtreme 150 qt. cooler. For its size, it's a bargain and it works great. Goes for around $70 from Wal-mart online. I've been using kitty litter for humidification, which has been working perfectly. I would suggest you go big. I've had it since July, and it's almost filled already.

Out of curiosity, what Rh% does kitty litter hold for you? I am about to start a second 150 qt. Coleman and retire the 48 to hold beers or whatever.

You can actually "set" the kitty litter at whichever rh you'd like by either microwaving it for a short time to lower the rh, or spritz it with distilled water to raise it. I use Exquisicat Unscented Kitty Litter Crystals, which are 68% straight out of the bag. I keep mine at 63% though.

• Like 1