Chanceschmerr's adventures in Europe - Cigar Pics thread

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Guys, I will try my best to chronicle my time in London and subsequent travels in a separate thread, but here's what you probably really want to see - the Cigars I've been able to pick up! First

Our first trip from London (aside from a side trip to Bath, Wells, Cheddar and Stonehenge) was a few delightful days in the south of France to visit mon ami Guy (laficion). We had a really wonderful

Switzerland! Expensive country, but we got one day of skiing (conditions were lousy) in our 8 day stay in the Alps at Villars-sur-Ollon, and for the rest of days, we enjoyed the castles, the food, th

Yesterday I tried a couple more - the Bolivar Poderoso RE Belux, and the RA Robusto Corto RE Paises Bajos. The Poderoso was delicious, with copious Bolivar flavour, and lots of depth for future ageing, I quite enjoyed it. I'd give it an easy 92-93. The Robusto Corto surprised me - even more flavour than the Poderoso, and good balance to boot. Even though I'm loath to recommend a short robusto, I have to be fair and give it a 93-94. Both are box-purchase worthy if anyone is on the fence about 'em.

• Like 1

Yesterday I tried a couple more - the Bolivar Poderoso RE Belux, and the RA Robusto Corto RE Paises Bajos. The Poderoso was delicious, with copious Bolivar flavour, and lots of depth for future ageing, I quite enjoyed it. I'd give it an easy 92-93. The Robusto Corto surprised me - even more flavour than the Poderoso, and good balance to boot. Even though I'm loath to recommend a short robusto, I have to be fair and give it a 93-94. Both are box-purchase worthy if anyone is on the fence about 'em.

Totally agree with you on the Robusto Corto, smoked it in LCDH Amsterdam and it is surprisingly good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been too long since I've updated this - Shows how busy I've been!

Let's start off with our excursion to Munich in late November. A great weekend trip, with lots of fun at the BMW Museum, Christmas Markets, and some great Bavarian fare - so much beer....

Anyway, I dipped in to the local tobacconist (Pfeifen Huber - great service here!) - unfortunately, no one in town has any RE's going back past the RG Petit Pyramides which I already have, but I did find something good - A box of QdO Panetelas!

post-5835-0-17124600-1422294204_thumb.jp

The box had an odd corner sticker, which I asked about, and was told that there was a few boxes specially chosen for this guy. Cool...

post-5835-0-68463700-1422294171_thumb.jp

Can't lose with the "POS" Code....LOL

post-5835-0-88698900-1422294137_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-60897300-1422294104_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-21068500-1422294072_thumb.jp

Good aroma on these, and construction is perfect - knock this discontinued off my "to buy" list!

Something else neat that we picked up at the Christmas market was something I've wanted for 15 years - a German "Christmas Pyramid". No, not that kind....

This is a German Christmas tradition to have one of these, my German Grandparents and mother both have theirs, and I'm ecstatic to finally have one for my wife and I now. The heat from the candles makes it go! Most important was the provenance - you can find so many cheapo ones at the market, made in China with big gobs of glue and paint for 20-35€, we did the homework and came away with this one for about €150, with all the documentation and proper stamps on it, showing it was made in the one region in Germany where these originally came from. The difference is night-and-day, on ours you can't see a speck of glue, the turning mechanism is effortless, and the details are really beautiful on it. It's a piece that'll be something I pass down to my kids...when I have 'em!

I guess you can tell i'm proud of it!

post-5835-0-80648300-1422294206_thumb.jp

Enjoy! Coming up next - Paris!

• Like 3

Our first trip from London (aside from a side trip to Bath, Wells, Cheddar and Stonehenge) was a few delightful days in the south of France to visit mon ami Guy (laficion). We had a really wonderful time with Guy and his wife, and Guy also took me to his favourite local B&M. I think the shopkeeper is now a fan of mine...

First up - I'm no Fonseca fan, but I thought - a 10 box of RE's ? What the hey.

Fonseca Amateurs RE Francia.

attachicon.gifIMG_1152.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1150.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1154.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1155.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1156.jpg

Then, I noticed the big Kahunas...the Bolivar Liberatadores, the RE's from 07/08. I pounced on all he had - a part box and a couple of lighter-shade wrappers from a different box than he had in the singles drawers.

attachicon.gifIMG_1157.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1158.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1159.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1160.jpg

After that...I pretty much raided his singles drawers for whatever RE's he had. I bought out pretty much his remaining RE stock. Some ones I didn't think I'd find...even though some I wanted to find (the JL minuto, the QdO RE's) weren't there.

attachicon.gifIMG_1161.jpg

Oh yeah, and he had one solitary Partagas LE form 2004. Not letting that one go by! Yoink!

attachicon.gifIMG_1163.jpg

How about some Punch Small Clubs REs? I hate the petit Robustos, but I'll try these for a larf.

attachicon.gifIMG_1164.jpg

Those ERDM Petit Companias looked like lovely companions.

attachicon.gifIMG_1165.jpg

These RA Especiales RE's were a real find, I'm excited to try these ones.

attachicon.gifIMG_1166.jpg

I guess I bought so many that the shopkeeper gave me this tattered JL Obus RE for free (I wasn't going to buy it, regardless. Pretty beat up. It's probably smoke fine though). He also gifted Guy a Boli RE as well, he seemed like quite the swell fella.

attachicon.gifIMG_1167.jpg

France was awesome!!! Big thanks again to Guy for hosting us while we were there biggrin.png

Look at that plume!!!! I'm salivating!

Look at that plume!!!! I'm salivating!

Given how high the humidity was in every cigar store I entered in France, I seriously doubt that is plume... I had to go through 3 boxes of the QdO before I found one that had only an acceptable amount of mold. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Chris - you were lucky you went to Switzerland before the franc increased by 20% overnight ;)

Given how high the humidity was in every cigar store I entered in France, I seriously doubt that is plume... I had to go through 3 boxes of the QdO before I found one that had only an acceptable amount of mold. Sorry, but that's how it is.

Chris - you were lucky you went to Switzerland before the franc increased by 20% overnight wink.png

Claus - this is a really good point. When I got my box QdO Beli Royals, they showed me two boxes of moldy ones before I managed to find one that was relatively mold free - and even then, I still had to switch out about 5 sticks with clean ones from other boxes before I was satisfied. I don't know why they have the humidity cranked so much...

And yeah - had I got to Geneva a week or two later than I did, I would have come back with half of this haul, thats for sure!