Punch Serie D'Oro No. 2 [AME JUL 13] Review

Love a good review contest.

Dle841kl.jpg

Cigar:

Punch Serie D’Oro No. 2 (Edicion Limitada 2013)

Box Code:

AME JUL 2013

Review Date:

10/17/2014 (Age: 1yr, 3mos)

Appearance:

This is a good looking cigar—the sort of caliber I’d expect in an Edicion Limitada. It has a beautiful, dark wrapper with a subtle, oily sheen to it. Closer inspection reveals a nice, evenly-distributed splotchiness. The prelight smell is the perfect mix of leather and barnyard.

First third:

Some really fantastic flavors right from the get-go. The core is bold, rich, and peppery. As far as Cubans go, I’d call it full bodied. It has a very pleasant leather and coffee bean flavor with a touch of berries.

Second third:

The berry notes are now more of a syrupy, stewed fruit. They aren’t ever-present, but instead come and go to bring in some nice complexity. A nutty flavor creeps in from the background, something like those peanuts that come in a can with the skins on them.

Third third:

It’s getting a bit hotter at this point, and as a result a bit of youth shows through, giving a chemical note through the nose. It’s not too offensive though, just a matter of pacing myself and smoking it slowly. The complexity has simmered down; now there’s just a simple rich leather and fruit taste that resembles the recent Punch Punches that I’ve had.

Smoking time:

1hr, 20 min

Conclusion:

This one lived up to the hype. It’s as if the blender took the excellent flavor of recent Punch Punch, added in a bit of RASS character, and then dialed everything up to 11. I paired this with some Ron Zacapa 23, and it was a perfect complement. The bold sweet rum offset the rich peppery cigar very well. This cigar was one of three that I got in a box split. I wish these weren’t so expensive, because I could see myself indulging in a box and watching how they mature over the next 2-3 years.

Rating:

94. With a little more time I can see these achieving a 96 or 97.

• Like 4

Nice review! I should really smoke another one of these soon

nice review, tempted to smoke mine but also tempted to wait a bit more as I have only one.

Very nice review, Yag! Ryan, Werner, better wait until Thursday!