phil hughes RIP

just heard that philip hughes passed away. the kid was just 25. an unspeakable tragedy.

for those who don't know him, an aussie cricketer. was hit in the head while playing a few days ago. never recovered. the bowler must also feel like utter crap. even though he had a helmet on, one of those freak accidents.

there are a great many public deaths, tragedies, wastes and so on, and i think we have become effectively immune to them. rarely draw a second thought. yet for some reason, this has hit me really hard.

never met him, in fact, i never saw him bat live - just on tv. super talented kid, could have been anything. great start to his career but didn't quite keep it up. always there or thereabouts. good chance to come back in this year. to his absolute credit and unlike so many grubs in the sporting world, never complained about his treatment. it was always head down and practice hard and try and improve. never in the papers for the wrong reasons.

just such a sad, sad tragedy.

thoughts with family, friends and teammates.

just an awful afternoon.

Ken, Fuzz, Pres my sentiments exactly. A strange deeply uncomfortable feeling came over the entire office today. So terribly sad. Perhaps it is because so many Australians associate summer with cricket and a happy period of the year.

A young man cut down in his prime doing what he loved.

That's sad! I had to check the sports channels today to find out what happened. I am curious to find out what happened though. From the footage looked like he got hit under the grill either in the jaw or directly on the neck near the big vein in the side.

Poor bloke. Prayers go to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a terrible tragedy and hopefully someone is putter their arm around that poor bowler as well. In sports these things happen the guy who broke my neck when I was playing in 2002 i made sure I reached out from hospital to let him know that it was an accident t and he needs to not let it inside his head.

Hopefully he family can come together through the tragedy and support each other.

RIP

Distressing. Just a terrible unfortunate occurance. Other than being a fine cricketer with immense potential for a special career, he was just such a lovely person. So kind. Words don't explain just how bad this is.

A dark day.

That's sad! I had to check the sports channels today to find out what happened. I am curious to find out what happened though. From the footage looked like he got hit under the grill either in the jaw or directly on the neck near the big vein in the side.

Poor bloke. Prayers go to his family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mus, the ball hit him just below his helmet, behind his ear, ruptured the vertebral artery and caused a haemorrhage in his brain. A one in a million shot.

It's terrible news and sincere condolences to his family and friends, may he rest in peace.

As some other commentators above have mentioned, it's really hit many people hard in Australia, even people who didn't really know of him or follow cricket. Debates were interrupted in the federal parliament and it really has been a somber, reflective day with people just shocked and stunned that such a rare, tragic event has occurred. I heard one person on the TV earlier say that this has only been the second death ever in cricket as a result of being hit by a bowl... it's unbelievable really.

Rest in peace, Phil Hughes.

And chin up Sean Abbott, you are entirely blameless.

Sad day, sad, sad day for all concerned.

A very tragic accident, a great up and coming batsman ,it just goes to show how precarious life really

RIP PHIL and condolences to family and to Abbott it's not your fault so bowl on and bowl for PHIL