What was your worst cigar purchase mistake?

I was vacationing all-inclusive in Cuba but arriving late Sunday, too late to get a cigar from the shops in Cuba. So I decided to pick up a duty free cigar in the Toronto airport to take with me. They only had 2 types of cigar I had not heard of either so I took a Grand Marnier cigar. I got to Cuba and on my balcony, once I settled in and got a few drinks, I sparked it up. I did not realize until then it was flavor infused cigar ....and it was horrid. It was infused with Grand Marnier liquor flavor, which might not seem too bad, but If I took a 2 dollar dried up convenience store cigar and dipped it in Grand Marnier, it would taste better than that cigar. It was like Grand Marnier perfume was over sprayed on this cigar like a cheap *****. After struggling through the first third me and my friend in the next unit who had one also, we "binned" this trashy stick. What was your biggest cigar mistake?

regards,

Doug

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not buying 50 cabs of '98 Fundadores when they were readily available.....

Every box of EL cigars I ever bought thinking they had an ounce of character. That ended in 2011. No more.

Life is too short to smoke Ghurkas.

Paying too much for HTF boxes of NCs and believing the hype surrounding them

Not paying proper attention to my Wineador set up when it was new and ruining half a box of Monte 2's

Not grabbing Diplomatico #4's when they were still around

...smoking a Ghurkha

• Like 3

Early in my on line buying experience I was OBSESSED about receiving fake cigars. I studied and studied forums. I should just have taken the advice of just finding a reputable vendor.

When I'd buy a box, I used to break up one cigar from each box and look at the binder and filler to assess wether it was fake. I'd look for long filler and only a small amount of chopped up filler.

Never did it occur to me to just SMOKE it and judge it that way!!

I still think about those 'lost' sticks...

• Like 1

Dumbest moment this year was knowingly buying a Vegueros Tapados at LCDH Toronto. I knew what was going to happen, but I did it anyway...lit then ashed after 3 puffs. The staff was very nice, however. They didn't force me to buy the cyanide. I just had to try and confirm.

Dumbest moment this year was knowingly buying a Vegueros Tapados at LCDH Toronto. I knew what was going to happen, but I did it anyway...lit then ashed after 3 puffs. The staff was very nice, however. They didn't force me to buy the cyanide. I just had to try and confirm.

Really that bad, huh? thinking.gif

I have only ever made 1 mistake buying cigars. It was from Rob, aka El Prez, from FOH/Czars etc, but it was Smithy's fault. I actually broached the subject with him the other weekend, during a radical Newstead to New Farm pub crawl.

Basically, it was a LFTH/W, and it was for Trinidad Short Robusto T LE from 2010.

Now, it was approximately $350-something AUD, however, it was Item 24, on the LFTH list.

So, I thought, sure, 24 Trinidad Short Robusto T's for $350ish is like, half price for an Aussie. Boom. I'll take them.

Only receiving 12 Trini Short T's was when the mistake was realised.

Anyway, I actually liked them. But they are very expensive, for not being totally awesome, like the actual Robusto T.

I even gave Smithy the last one from that very box of 12 during the pub crawl. Out the front of Sixes & Sevens, somewhere between Gerard's Bar and Gordita.

It was a good mistake in the end.

Buying a box of Fonseca KDT Cadete - I still think they're good value and an okay smoke, but my collection has grown so much since then and I have so many more better smokes that I just can't ever see me smoking another at the rate I smoke cigar :)