What was your worst cigar purchase mistake?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not buying 50 cabs of '98 Fundadores when they were readily available.....

Every box of EL cigars I ever bought thinking they had an ounce of character. That ended in 2011. No more.

Life is too short to smoke Ghurkas.

I have to say it was a box plus a sampler of Alec Bradley Tempus.

I have never - before or since - seen that many stems in a cigar! I mean every cigar was loaded with timber. None of them would burn right and when I emailed the company, they sent me two five pack samplers that featured - you guessed it - tons of stems!

Couple of NC singles i can't erase from my memory. 1st was a CAO OSA Lot T. Friggin despicable taste, reminded me of smoking wet wood wrapped around wet grass covered in wet soil. Gag worthy lol. Most recent was a Flying Pig Undercrown. it was like sandpaper on my tongue.

3-4 years ago I bought a box of Cuban Selection (I think is the name) from another vendor as my first box purchase of cigars. It was from the makers of Gurkha. It was based on reviews on their site. I have never tasted anything so foul. I knew that they had to doctored those reviews as NO ONE could have said that was a "great cigar that I smoke to celebrate special occasions". It used to be actually a joke cigar I give to friends to see their reaction before I give a real cigar. Thank God they are long gone.

Bought a couple of (more than likely) fake Cohiba 1966's at Canadian B&M prices during the summer *sigh*

Though the experience prompted me to join FOH so I guess there's a silver lining, but still *sigh*

Purchased a box of Montecristo 2s a few years back and they were despicable. Like many here, purchased them and right after found FOH. Still have ten laying down. Can't care to look at them.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. Buying two boxes of PL Sobresalientes at UK RRP, *might* turn out to be a bad call. I'll let you know in 5 years!

Bought a few fake singles from a small ally shop in the Bahamas-3 for $20.. because I was young and stupid DOAH!!

Then a box of Alec Bradley Prensado's because CA said so.. again before I knew anything.. never get duped again

I've smoked a lot of NCs I didn't care for, a few of which were downright awful, but have never been out more than a 5-pack. The few NCs I've deemed box-worthy I still feel have been good enough buys. Still new to CCs, so I'm guessing my more expensive mistakes are yet to come. I've been fortunate to participate in a few very helpful communities (including FOH) that have provided some fantastic guidance.

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Robusto. I bought a box of these blind based strictly on reviews. I can't stand these things, they just sit in my humidor and occasionally I light one up thinking something will change, but nothing ever does.