What was your worst cigar purchase mistake?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not buying 50 cabs of '98 Fundadores when they were readily available.....

Every box of EL cigars I ever bought thinking they had an ounce of character. That ended in 2011. No more.

Life is too short to smoke Ghurkas.

Juan Lopez PC. Were about 3-4 years old at purchase, if I remember correctly. Well stored and constructed, but just an awful, somewhat bitter, uninspired, "dry" flavor. Tasted Cuban with some nuances here and there, but nothing I found appealing.

Smoked most, but traded the rest away. Wouldn't even want to try another JL after that!

Any NC ever. Luckily I haven't had one in 5 years!

I'd say that passing up on two boxes of Boli GMs, offered to me at $165 total (for '08 sticks, for that matter!), was a massive mistake. I really should have bought up every box of BGMs I could find back when they were everywhere. I still see them occasionally, but much more rarely; besides, they're getting close to a sort of time limit beyond which cigars sometimes start to fade.

But yeah. More BGMs, even though I didn't have the money; hell, I could have taken out a line of credit, amirite?

1) buying 4x Guantanamera at $2.00 each when I first started cigars, I thought they were a good deal

2) not buying the LGC jar because I was carrying 50x cigars with me already and worried that I'd get in trouble with customs if I brought more over

Any NC ever. Luckily I haven't had one in 5 years!

I wasn't really "smoking" many of them because I never reached for them before CC's. I owned a lot of them. All the ones that people seem to like. A lot of Padrons, Tats, ect. Sold about 500 sticks in one large sale back in 2010 on Craigslist to a tobacco shop wanting to add quality cigars to their inventory. Best thing I ever did. I'd rather smoke a mediocre CC than a " tauted" NC any day!

Plenty of NC cigars that were less than desirable, but I had a good idea of what to expect based on a low price. Probably the worst cigar I have ever had was a young Montecristo No. 4. I purchased this from a reputable retailer, but it had a sour/metallic taste to it. Total let down!

I'm up to my eyeballs in Dirty Rats, Raztilla's, L40's, Flying Pigs, Ferral Flying Pigs, UF4's, UF13's, A's, and Velvet Rats (ok, only 1 Velvet Rat). Past my eyeballs in T52's and LP No. 9's. Too many Crowned heads everything...too many Tatuaje everything...

I do smoke these about once a week but at this rate I will be 200 years old before I get through the NC stash I bought before I discovered CC's.

Precisely the same story here and I was preparing to make this my regret when I read yours

I'll be honest in saying I'm not sure I've had a cigar mistake. Only reason I say this is because all experiences or purchases I have learned something from. Whether it was good or bad, whether I liked or disliked something, or whether I realized I paid too much or I got a good deal.

The most important I guess is learning something from those experiences and not making them again if they were negative.

But to answer the question, probably paying way too much for LE Tatuaje cigars 2 yrs ago. Pretty sure I paid for the "unicorn status" rather than badass cigars. They looked cool in my wineador, but didn't stack up to some of the regular production stuff. A lot of cult culture there IMO.

Great question and discussion, thanks for the input. Enjoyed reading thru these gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paying $475 for a 10 box of Cohiba Maduro Genios in London Heathrow Airport about 4 years ago. I didn't realize the availability of CCs online yet. I can't bring myself to smoke one because I would just be throwing salt in the wound. They are hidden in the far back corner of my humidor cabinet & were also in my mind until this topic came up...

Paying $475 for a 10 box of Cohiba Maduro Genios in London Heathrow Airport about 4 years ago. I didn't realize the availability of CCs online yet. I can't bring myself to smoke one because I would just be throwing salt in the wound. They are hidden in the far back corner of my humidor cabinet & were also in my mind until this topic came up...

Smoke Them ok.gifok.gifok.gif

The genios is not a cigar that is really ever going to get any better than 4 years. If they are a great box then you may love them and it would be a shame to learn in a decade that they had expired.

• Like 1

Like many others here it's the money I wasted diddling around on Cigarbid. The cigars that stand out the most for me is the 10 count box of EP Carillo Short Run Cubras I bought blind. Ugh they were terrible. Could barely give them away. Think I honestly just threw the last one out cuz I hated seeing it in the humi!

Box of Alec Bradley Maxx Box Press Churchills. They were **** when I got them in '09 and have only declined to unsmokeable now. 2 nd worse is a box of '98 Punch Coronas I got from an individual who was 'paring down his vintage collection'. Dowel pins is what they are. Plugged top to bottom. Unsmokeable.