2010 Barolos

Erm310mce

Good day FOHers,

I love italian wine and my favorite has always been Barolo.

Many articles out there are claiming 2010 to be the best vintage in many years for nebbiolo. Lots of reports about some 2010 releases not being the most powerful vintage but one of refined power and finesse but very balanced for a young barolo. Maybe we don't need to wait 10 years for these??

Grand and Primi Crus aside, curious if anyone has been tasting 2010 barolos and what they have liked so far? Ken, would love your opinion if you have a chance.

For not that expensive (well, for barolos anyway :))

Ive enjoyed:

Oddero, one of my favorite, 2010 does not disappoint!

Vietti Barolo “Castiglione”

Marcarini La Serra

Azelia

For more pricey:

E Pira

Pio Cesare

Dominic Clerico Ciabot Mentin, If money was no object, this would be my choice as much as possible!

Still many I need to track down like Elio Grasso, Conterno, Mascarello and Renato Ratti.

Do you think Barolo is still the finest wine Italy has to offer?

Cheers!

I also enjoy Barolo's but have not had any 2010's. I still haven't tried any of my 2008's which was also a very good vintage.

I do seem to be buying more Brunello Di Montalcino's lately though.

2010 undoubtedly very highly rated. but barolo/piedmont has had an amazing run of vintages. many many good ones. only marg river can match them for top years in a row, i think.

had the chance to spend quite a bit of time with franco conterno a few months back. i remember one thing he said was that 2010 was so good, you can buy without tasting. 09 you should taste. 08 another great year and my impression is that he and many others would still rate 2006 as the best of the lot. franco said that 06 was the best of the last 10-15 years and certainly will/should provide the best drinking. but 2010 may match it and even beat it, but too soon to tell. it will be more elegant but i would not be buying it thinking it will be an early vintage. personally, only seen a few '10s, but very good.

as for whether barolo is italy's best, i think so but personal taste. plenty of other great wines. others would go different ways.

i'd be happy with as much 2010 in the cellar as possible.

one last comment, you mention "Dominic Clerico Ciabot Mentin" if money no object. usually a fabulous wine but if money was no object, i'd be going with clerico's per christina. utterly stellar. though you'll still have to wait for about 5 years to see the 2010.

I also enjoy Barolo's but have not had any 2010's. I still haven't tried any of my 2008's which was also a very good vintage.

I do seem to be buying more Brunello Di Montalcino's lately though.

Thanks LLC, I also have not sampled my 2008s since I got them, waiting on those for longer too.

I enjoy Brunellos as well, very high quality as well lately.

Ken, great info!

What a great experience with Conterno. I enjoy his wines very much.

I have some great 2006s, including 2006 Oddero Villeros that are so fantastic, although they need a long decant. I think they can go for a long time.

Your info is very helpful. I am buying up as much 2010 as I can. Conterno's comments about not needing to sample are right on with my experience. I like everything so far.

I havent had the pleasure of having the Per Christina. The Ciabot Mentin is around $100 US and that is a little pricey for a daily drinker, but if I didnt need to care, I'd drink it more often.

Cheers,

Do you think Barolo is still the finest wine Italy has to offer?

I'd personally be hard pressed to choose one varietal / region / zone as the finest as I drink and enjoy wines from just about everywhere in Italy - though I do love pretty much everything Piemonte.

I can't comment on the '10s, but generally find that the better the vintage, the longer lived / in need of time the wines might be. But a great producer (if they produce at all or don't declassify) will usually produce a very good wine even in a poorer vintage.

I guess approachability can be fairly subjective. A few months back, I had an '08 Francesco Rinaldi Brunate which while quite drinkable, was still for me a baby. It was still "sweetish" and lacked real depth, had not developed any kind of secondary flavors - I could have been drinking any good quality nebbiolo.

On Thanksgiving I had a bottle of 1999 Scarpa Tettimorra. It was very, very good having reached a "pruney" stage, having great body and depth. But I still think it probably could have used another three to five years for full development. But again, it's all in what you look for in a wine.

Happy drinking smile.png