FORMULA 1 - 2015

HAMILTON: AYRTON SENNA THE GENUINE HERO

Senna_nvDeo4z-750x500.jpg

Everyone loves a winner. That’s just how the world is. And Ayrton Senna was one of the greatest winners this sport has ever had. But more than that. He was a genuine hero, an iconic character who inspired people from all over the world. He made a massive impression on me when I was growing up.
Our family lived in Stevenage when I was a kid, and I started watching Formula 1 with my dad when I was just four or five years old.
I loved cars. At the time, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost were the leaders of the pack and they immediately caught my attention. Ayrton was always very cool and composed when he was interviewed after the race. On top of that, kids are attracted to colours. and I loved the orange and white McLaren and Ayrton’s yellow helmet.
I started to watch him and follow his success and as I got a bit older I began to want to know a bit more about the guy.
My family realised I was interested in his driving so they encouraged me and bought me the books that told me more about Senna the man, and into my early teens I would go and get more from the library.
Lewis-Hamilton-750x500.jpg
I really came to understand his character and appreciate his amazing approach to racing. I knew that he started racing when he was a boy in Brazil, and that like me he’d been helped into karting by his dad. He moved to England when he was around twenty to pursue his dream, and I was impressed by that dedication.
But it was the fact that Ayrton Senna was just an out-and-out racer that was most important to me. I can really identify with that. It’s exactly how I feel I am. That’s why I feel I have had that connection with him since I was a kid.
I want to race, and I feel like he was one of the only real racers I had seen. He was a complete contrast to Alain Prost and the battle between the two of them was an epic contest that has become one of the great sporting rivalries of all time.
Prost was known as the smarter driver. He was older and looked more thoughtful and considered. He had a different approach from Senna, in and out of the car. But Senna had the real raw talent. He had it in abundance. He was able to show it because he was in a good car most of the time, but you’ve got to remember that he only got the good car because he had such great ability.
senna-kart-750x490.jpg
It’s fascinating now to look back at the years when he and Prost were racing head to head against each other in the McLarens at the end of the 80s. Both drivers were at their absolute peak, and it’s so exciting even now to watch the tapes of the two of them pushing it to the limits.
A lot of the way I drive today is inspired by the way I saw him drive.
People say I have an aggressive style and sometimes I don’t think that is all just me. I think it’s partly because I watched Ayrton Senna when I was young and I thought: “This is how I want to drive when I get the opportunity.” And I went out there and tried it on the kart track. And my whole approach the racing has developed from there.
He was also such a magnetic personality. I particularly loved his vulnerability and his openness. I only met him once, the year before he died, but it left a lasting impression on me. As a kid, you see these people and you think they’re super-heroes. But everyone has weaknesses. And for all Senna’s brilliance and achievements, so did he.
It was fascinating how he overcame those, and how he was able to talk so eloquently about what he did, including the dangers involved. I was also impressed how open he was about his relationship with God and his beliefs.
Ayrton-Senna-FILE-Profile-Ayrton-Senna-I
That’s something I grew up with, but talking about it was frowned upon by a lot of people I was around when I was younger, even some members of my family. But now I feel like I can be open about it. That’s not because of Senna; it’s just because I’m older now. But it’s another connection.
1 May will be [always be] a day of reflection for me. I remember the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix 20 years ago when he crashed and it was very difficult for me to show my emotions in my family so I went off to a quiet place.
I was only nine, and it was very difficult for several days to really understand the magnitude of what had happened… Your hero’s gone.
Ayrton Senna was an incredible legend who will be remembered and admired forever. He had the rare quality of greatness. Even now, you can still learn things from how he approached racing and how he drove.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

HONDA COULD TEST F1 ENGINE IN SUPER FORMULA CAR

Honda-super-formula-750x497.jpg

Honda could fit its much-criticised and woefully ineffective Formula 1 engine to a Super Formula open wheel car.
In its latest edition, published earlier this week, Autosprint said the move could be a way for the embattled Japanese manufacturer to prove its 2015 ‘power unit’ is not as bad as many believe.
The news comes after the recent Italian grand prix, where insiders said an interview session featuring Honda’s under-fire Yasuhisa Arai was one of the most ‘brutal’ in recent F1 history.
McLaren and Honda appear increasingly divided, as despite Arai’s claims that the engine is better now than Renault’s, Fernando Alonso’s top speed at Monza was just 338kph — 16kph behind the leading Mercedes.
And Autosprint correspondent Cesare Maria Mannucci said Alonso’s 338 was only a few kph faster than the 331kph recorded by GP2 driver Robert Visoiu.
Honda, however, could now be set to fight back against the claim that it is entirely to blame for McLaren’s lack of pace.
The report said the Japanese are planning to install the turbo V6 unit to a chassis of Japan’s premier open-wheeler series, Super Formula, and test it at Suzuka.
Super Formula cars are powered by 4 cylinder, 2-litre turbo engines, but Autosprint said installation of Honda’s F1 unit would nonetheless be possible.
“The tests would be carried out in collaboration with the Mugen or Nakajima teams,” Cesare Maria Munnicci claimed, explaining that the outcome might finally answer the question of “who is to blame” for McLaren-Honda’s awful 2015.

BOTTAS SAYS RELATIONSHIP WITH WILLIAMS IS INTACT

J5R2018-750x497.jpg

His on track performance may have been hurt, but Valtteri Bottas insists his relationship with Williams is undamaged in the wake of intense rumours that he was heading to Maranello to replace fellow Finn Kimi Raikkonen..
While the 26-year-old Finn was linked for weeks and months with a move to Ferrari, Williams chief Pat Symonds said he thinks Bottas’ pace alongside the notably on-form Felipe Massa was affected.
“To be successful here [in F1] you have to pay so much attention to details and you need incredible focus,” Symonds told F1’s official website, following confirmation that Bottas is in fact staying put at the Grove team next year.
“And if a driver is thinking about ‘Am I going to drive for Ferrari? Am I not going to drive for Ferrari?’ — or ‘does Williams want me anymore?’ then they definitely can’t be at their best. If you ask Valtteri I’m sure he wouldn’t agree with me,” said Symonds.
Indeed, while Bottas admits that the Ferrari speculation was distracting, he insists that the new deal for 2016 is now an end to the entire saga.
“Our relationship wasn’t damaged at all, but that can happen if people think you are looking to leave a team,” he said after the Italian grand prix.
“No damage has been done and I’m very happy to stay with the team, and they are very happy to keep me as well,” Bottas added.

FERRARI URGED TO DO MORE TO SAVE MONZA

F1-Grand-Prix-of-Italy-nZaFMX3xveCx-750x

Lombardy regional president Roberto Maroni has once again called on Ferrari to step in to help save the endangered Italian Grand Prix at the legendary venue.
Maroni has said previously that he would like Ferrari to threaten to quit formula one over the uncertainty surrounding the future of the historic Monza race.
The threat has not been forthcoming, but the recent race weekend at the fabled Autodromo Nazionale was characterised by F1 drivers verbally backing the campaign to save Monza, and also signing a petition.
“I greatly appreciate the words of the drivers to defend the grand prix,” Maroni said at the launch of the Italian open golf tournament in Milan.
“I think if Ferrari also did more for Monza it would do no harm,” he was quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport.
For now, hard negotiations with Ecclestone will go on.
“I told Ecclestone that he is a tough guy and he just laughed, but so am I,” Maroni continued. “We clarified our positions and at least cleared up what I feared, namely that he had already decided to move on without Monza.
“We will meet again between November and December and we will sign. The missing money? With some sponsors or the government, we will find it,” he insisted.

KALTENBORN SAYS REAL PROBLEMS OF F1 ARE NOT ADDRESSED

Monisha-Kaltenborn-750x496.jpg

Monisha Kaltenborn says she is not confident the small teams’ concerns about their future is being heard by Formula 1’s governing body.
Caterham and HRT have collapsed, Manor only narrowly survived the winter and now Lotus’ serious financial crisis is playing out publicly in the 2015 paddock.
Sauber and Force India have also had their high-profile problems, as the lower half of the grid pleads for assistance and changes to the current system in F1.
Asked if the embattled teams are being heard by their most powerful rivals, Sauber chief Kaltenborn said: “It is not them that we want to be heard by, but the commercial rights holder, the FIA and the fans.”
She said the current system is not equipped to support teams like Sauber, who do not sell “drinks or cars” like grandees Red Bull and Mercedes.
Kaltenborn was also asked by the French magazine Auto Hebdo if it is ‘naive’ to believe that the powerful Strategy Group might do something about the situation.
“I have to judge from the outside,” she answered, “because Sauber is not part of this, and – probably like you – I don’t get all the details.”
“But yes, the real problems are not addressed. And no, I see nothing coming. And yes, it would be naive to hope that there is another way.”
Asked if the most naive party of all is the FIA, whose president Jean Todt wants the sport to solve its problems alone and democratically, Kaltenborn answered: “I would never take the liberty of speaking about our legislators in that way.
“The only thing I can say is that I hoped for more, and that I still hope for more from our legislators, because we need a strong federation.
“Should we change the system of penalties? The format of the weekend? All these things and many others are not within the province of the teams,” said Kaltenborn.

ECCLESTONE INVOLVED IN FERRARI SOLUTION FOR RED BULL

ecclestone.jpg

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone had to get involved personally as Red Bull broke its Renault contract and searched for a new engine supplier.
That is the claim of Livio Oricchio, the respected correspondent for Brazil’s Globo, as the future of the former quadruple world championship-winning team shapes up.
It is now widely believed that Renault has accepted Red Bull’s decision to split and tie up with Ferrari power for 2016 after talks with Mercedes collapsed.
“I am sure that we will find a solution. The question is whether we needed to get to that point,” Ecclestone is quoted as having said at Monza.
Oricchio speculated that Ecclestone got directly involved in talks with Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne, fearing that F1 could lose two teams – Red Bull and Toro Rosso – in one fell swoop.
Indeed, the apparent Ferrari deal has been made very late, despite Helmut Marko’s insistence that the hugely-resourced Red Bull could afford to wait until “December” for the identity of the new supplier to be known.
But Sauber technical chief Gianpaolo Dall’Ara said a late call like that would “be a problem, of course”.
He said teams need to plan far ahead when it comes to radiator, air intake, weight distribution and basic aerodynamics designs, which are all inextricably linked to engine parameters and the related hybrid technology.
The signatures on the page are now waiting for Renault to finalise its own plans, which are currently hinging on talks with embattled Lotus.
One rumour doing the rounds is that Renault itself orchestrated the Charles Pic court bailiff saga of Spa, given the French driver’s historical links to the carmaker, in order to increase urgency and drive down the price.
  • Like 1

MERHI DITCHES FORMULA RENAULT TO FOCUS ON F1

Roberto-Merhi-Canadian-F1-Grand-Prix-Pre

Spanish rookie Roberto Merhi looks set to keep his Manor seat for the remainder of the 2015 season.
Until now, Merhi has been driving race-for-race for the British backmarker team, and has therefore kept his full-time seat in the Formula Renault 3.5 series.
But his team Pons, led by former F1 driver Emilio de Villota, has announced that Merhi, 24, will be replaced by Austrian Rene Binder at the Nurburgring this weekend.
“Binder is set to replace Merhi, who decided to stop his Formula Renault 3.5 programme due to the clashing commitments in the formula one world championship,” a statement read.
There is no grand prix this weekend during the F.Renault round at the Nurburgring, and next weekend’s Singapore grand prix also does not clash.
Suzuka later this month, however, clashes with the Le Mans round. The F.Renault calendar then concludes in mid-October at Jerez, when there is again no clash with F1.

Hakkinen: Title race is not yet over

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Lewi

Despite Lewis Hamilton's 53-point advantage in the Championship, Mika Hakkinen is adamant there's still a lot of racing left to be done before the title is decided.
Hamilton's seventh race win of this season, achieved in Italy last Sunday, coincided with his team-mate Nico Rosberg's first non-points finish.
That meant Hamilton swept to a 53-point lead over his Mercedes team-mate.
This led to some suggestions that the title race is all but over. Hakkinen, however, insists it could still swing in Rosberg's favour.
"There are still a lot of races and all sorts can happen," he wrote in his Hermes column.
"This fight is not yet decided.
"Lewis had a new specification engine, with which he has done well in the race at Monza.
"The reason for Nico Rosberg's technical problems has been clarified. Mercedes took a risk which meant that Nico used an old engine in the race."
The double World Champion also weighed in on the controversy that awaited Mercedes for running tyres below the prescribed minimum pressure at the start of the Monza event.
"That was interesting. In Monza this was put on the table because the tyres had exploded at the previous race in Spa.
"I know from my own Formula 1 career that we sometimes made radical decisions regarding tyre pressure.
"The team wanted to improve performance so we also took risks, even though the tyre company vehemently argued that one cannot drive.
"Safety should always be above everything else."

Renault certain it won't run out of F1 engines in 2015 season

1441969018.jpg

Renault insists it has enough spares for 2015's remaining Formula 1 races, despite Red Bull suggesting it could run out of engines after a troubled Italian Grand Prix.
Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat both took multiple engine-change penalties at Monza as Renault sacrificed the Italian race to try to build up a pool of useable power units for the rest of the season.
But the situation was further compromised when a newly-fitted engine failed in Ricciardo's car in Saturday morning practice, necessitating a further swap onto a seventh unit.
Ricciardo reckoned that had created a dire situation for Renault.
"We're short on engines. There are literally no others available," he said afterwards.
"I think we've got two now, but if one more goes I think they've got to start building some more in the factory."
But a Renault spokesperson told AUTOSPORT the company is certain it has sufficient spares "to cope with any situation" and that running out of engines was inconceivable.
The Monza failure was caused by a problem with a non-Renault component in the car's airbox, and Renault is still unsure whether the engine can be reused.
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner summarised the squad's current engine availability as "one and a bit with Ricciardo, and two and a bit with Kvyat", clarifying that the 'bit' referred to remaining mileage on already-used power units.
SCEPTICISM OVER UPGRADE
Renault has yet to use any development tokens this season, and having exceeded its allocation of engines already, Red Bull will have to take further penalties to fit the upgraded power units when they arrive.
AUTOSPORT understands Renault is still attempting to have revised engines ready for the Russian GP next month, but a debut for the following race in America is more likely by the time all dyno work has been completed, with Red Bull not expecting anything until Austin.
Horner said Red Bull - which is splitting with Renault at the end of 2015 - would have to consider whether the upgrade justified penalties.
"It hasn't been confirmed to us how much it will be, or how much performance it will be either," he said of the revised engine.
"So when we understand what the performance gain is you have to weigh up whether it's worth taking a penalty.
"We'll wait to hear from Renault on that."
Ricciardo added that his expectations of the upgrades were limited.
"I wouldn't be too optimistic," he said.
"When we get it in the car, then I'll start to ask more questions.
"Until we get it, I'll keep quiet and keep driving it.
"Even last year we got a lot of hope that we'd get a bit more horsepower at this race or that race, and sure we got a bit more but it was never as much as we were told.
"Until I drive the car and feel more horsepower, I won't get too excited."

Don't believe negative rumours, says Lotus F1 deputy team principal

1441993993.jpg

Lotus deputy team principal Federico Gastaldi has hit out at the negativity that continues to swirl around the Formula 1 team.
Lotus's desperate financial state led to the team being back in the High Court on Monday after failing to pay one month's PAYE to HMRC, with the case adjourned until next Friday.
It was the latest saga for a team that has already faced winding-up orders from other creditors, and whose cars and equipment were impounded following the Belgian Grand Prix due to a dispute with former reserve Charles Pic.
CEO Matthew Carter confirmed last week Lotus would see out the season, but despite that, speculation has continued regarding the team's fate and ability to make it on to the grid for the forthcoming races in Singapore and Japan.
Addressing Lotus's short-term future, Gastaldi said: "They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
"I can confirm the team is very much alive, but we have been going through a very strenuous workout programme this season!
"Things have certainly been tight and we've embraced the Japanese just-in-time philosophy a little too literally on occasions.
"All this has been necessary, but we keep fighting the good fight. We believe in the team, we believe in Formula 1 and we believe we'll still be here fighting for the rest of this season and beyond.
"Don't believe any of the negative rumours you hear."
Conceding the team is running on a shoestring budget at present, Gastaldi added: "Everything is under control.
"Certainly, this is a lean-running year and you wouldn't want to attempt running much leaner.
"We're certainly a pretty long way from being flush with money - unlike some of our rival teams - but we've done what has been necessary to make the team far more efficient and viable going forward."
Despite the Lotus board last week signing off on Renault acquiring a 65% stake in the team for £65million, the French manufacturer is continuing to evaluate matters.
One of the issues on the table is its bid to acquire historic status which, under the terms of any agreement with Formula One Management, would see them handed additional revenues.
Gastaldi can only hope the issues are resolved and Renault returns to Lotus's HQ at Enstone, a building it last occupied in 2010.
"It would be fantastic for the sport and a mega-positive note for Enstone to see their return, but until any deal is signed, sealed and delivered we keep focused on our current tasks," stressed Gastaldi.
"It would be a very different project for Enstone and there's been a lot of change over the past few years since they last had a full works team entry.
"Here in Enstone we're used to adapting and making the most of situations.
"Certainly we would relish any opportunity to be a works team and welcome them back."

Romain Grosjean backs condensed F1 calendar for 2016

1441987133.jpg

Lotus driver Romain Grosjean is in favour of next year's Formula 1 calendar being more condensed thanks to a later start than usual.
The 2016 season will feature a record-breaking 21 races over just eight months, starting on April 3 in Australia and running through to Abu Dhabi on November 27.
While the move has extended the time between the final race this season and the start of the next campaign, it has also squeezed the summer break down from four weeks to three.
That would prevent the teams from having their two-week shutdown, which has provided a welcome relief to the considerable strain on race-attending staff, but it would allow for a greater break pre-season.
"To be fair, this year felt quite long," said Grosjean. "Next year is shorter, though I haven't seen the calendar.
"It's fine, I was getting bored. I would rather a season and then some break and I think this winter is going to be quite good.
"We finish in December and we're going to restart with the race in April and testing in early March.
"That gives you December, January and February off.
"There is not a lot of work where you can find three months off."
Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley said last week that it is "absolutely critical for Formula 1 we keep the integrity of the summer break and shutdown".
Meanwhile, his Williams counterpart Claire Williams admitted "it's so important for everybody within Formula 1 they have that break, so we'll be lobbying to reinstate it."
The subject of the summer break is expected to be discussed at the next Strategy Group meeting, which takes place on Monday.

Manor F1 team set to delay new car introduction to 2016

1441965782.jpg

The Manor Formula 1 team is set to wait until next year to introduce a new chassis to allow for maximum time to be spent on development.
Though the team was forced to start the season with a modified 2014 car this season, after its last-minute revival having gone into administration, the plan was to introduce a new car at some point this year.
However, following a rebuild of the team, which included the recruitment of key personnel such as former Mercedes technical director Bob Bell, and the hectic schedule of the flyaway races to end the season, the team has switched strategy.
"The plan we had at the start of the year envisaged making some major change to the chassis and power unit during the 2015 season," Manor sporting director Graeme Lowdon told AUTOSPORT.
"But as we developed and recruited more people, it became less and less feasible to go down that route and more and more advantageous to keep developing the next chassis.
"The rate of development of that chassis has been good and the optimum time to push that button was getting pushed back.
"Everyone is confident that when next car comes along, it will be a major step forward.
"I would imagine that is going to be next year. We're in flyaways now and with the production time and everything else, doing it this year would be tough."
With the early races of a season often offering the smaller teams their best chance to score points, Lowdon is keen to ensure Manor does not compromise next season in search of gains this term.
"Other teams managed to get points at certain stages where you have to say, if we compromise the 2016 build by building something new now, what reward would we get for that?" he said.
"It now looks more and more beneficial to keep design and keep getting the aero figures and progress on that rather than pressing button and manufacturing the car [now]."
Manor still plans to add updates to its current car but they will all be relevant to next year.
"I'm pretty sure we'll have some new things in Singapore and/or Japan," added Lowdon.
"There are a lot of upgrades which are applicable to next year's car so it's not costing us development time.
"They will not be detracting from our 2016 plans. If anything, it's complimentary, so yes, we'll definitely keep bringing things."

HULKENBERG WANTS TO DEFEND LE MANS TITLE IN 2016

Tandy-Hulkenberg-750x500.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg has revealed that he wants to defend his title as Le Mans winner in 2016 with Porsche.
The German has secured a new two-year deal with Force India, after this season convincing boss Vijay Mallya to let him run a parallel LMP1 programme with Porsche.
And now he wants to return to the fabled endurance sports car race in 2016.
“There is no reason why not. I will definitely talk about it with Porsche fairly soon,” Hulkenberg told Auto Motor und Sport.
Just after signing his new Force India deal, the 28-year-old told the US broadcaster NBC: “I’m a Le Mans winner now and I’d very much like to defend that title.
“Obviously we’ve just finalised the formula one deal and the Porsche subject I’m sure will come up in the next weeks. At the moment I don’t see any big reason why not,” Hulkenberg added.

MELBOURNE EXTENDS GRAND PRIX DEAL TO 2023

Melbourne-Australian-GP-grid-750x501.jpg

Melbourne has secured the hosting rights to the Australian Formula One Grand Prix until 2023, the Victoria state government announced on Sunday.
Melbourne last year signed an agreement to continue hosting the race until 2020 and Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said the state government had agreed to a three-year extension to 2023.
“There’s nothing quite like the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne and the buzz it creates around our state,” Andrew said in a statement.
Melbourne has hosted the Australian Grand Prix since 1996, when the race was switched from Adelaide but it has became a local political issue after years of heavy financial losses, subsidised by taxpayers.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has in the past suggested the race was one of the least viable on the sport’s calendar because of the time difference with the key European television market.
Despite posting record losses amid soaring costs and declining revenue, Melbourne has retained its place as the opening race on the calendar.
“We are very happy to extend our relationship with Melbourne,” Ecclestone was quoted as saying in the statement.
MIKA: YES!! Take that Sydney! moon.gif

McLaren-Honda F1 team wouldn't block Kevin Magnussen exit for 2016

1442057661.jpg

McLaren has confirmed it would not stand in the way of its Formula 1 reserve Kevin Magnussen should the Dane receive a racing offer from elsewhere for 2016.
After a rookie season that included a podium on his F1 race debut in last year's Australian Grand Prix, Magnussen was demoted to reserve status for 2015 following the return of Fernando Alonso.
Magnussen has since made clear he wants his seat back at McLaren, although racing director Eric Boullier has stated the team "intends" to keep Jenson Button for 2016 given the option on the '09 world champion's contract.
Boullier made clear McLaren will not hold Magnussen back should he wish to pursue other avenues.
"If we can offer him something here, a drive - and I'm not the only one to decide - yes, he obviously takes priority," said Boullier.
"He is a McLaren driver, and he is always claiming he would like to race again for McLaren.
"But if we cannot then personally I would never stop him from racing somewhere else, of course."
With few seats available at other teams, and with the clock ticking, Magnussen's options are few and far between, although he has been linked with a drive for newcomer Haas.
He also had the possibility of a Honda-powered IndyCar drive at the start of the year, though that was prevented by the need to step in for the concussed Alonso in the season-opening F1 race in Australia.
A technical problem meant Magnussen failed to even start in Melbourne and he has spent the remainder of the season on the sidelines, with Oliver Turvey and Stoffel Vandoorne sharing duties with the race drivers in the in-season F1 tests.
Magnussen said during the summer there was "no way in hell" he would accept not having a race seat of some form in 2016.

Haas to debut at first pre-season test

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Haas

Haas will wait until March to run their first F1 car, putting an end to talk of a December shake-down.
Previously there had been reports that Haas, who will enter Formula 1 next season as the sport's 11th team, could run their new car as early as December.
However, team principal Guenther Steiner now says it won't be until the first pre-season test – or perhaps a day before.
"On 1st March 2016, on the first all-team test day," Steiner told Formula1.com when asked when his team's new car would make its debut.
"It could be that we will perform a shake-down one day before – on 29th February – but nothing more is planned so far."
As for the reduction in pre-season testing, which in 2016 will be cut to just two four-day outings, Steiner has opted for a philosophical attitude.
"I wouldn't say [it's] a problem – it is what it is," he said. "We have to live with it."

Kvyat: Better prepared for Singapore

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Dani

Daniil Kvyat believes he is up for the physical test that is the Singapore GP, one of the "most challenging races" on the calendar.
Although the 61-lap grand prix takes place at night, the race is known for its heat and humidity.
The intense conditions alone would be brutal for any driver, however, Singapore has the added challenge of also being a street race.
Last season Kvyat was forced to complete the bulk of the grand prix without fluids as his water bottle stopped working.
This year, although he by no means wants to go through that again, he believes he is better prepared for the physical side of the race.
The Russian racer said: "It's definitely one of the most challenging races of the championship.
"It's the longest, one of the hottest, one of the most physically demanding races we face but having said that I do like the track, because although it's a street circuit, it's quite a bit quicker than Monaco.
"As grands prix go, it tends to have more atmosphere than the average."
He added: "Last year it was extremely tough because my water bottle didn't work, so it was a very difficult race.
"But this year I think I'm much better prepared from a physical point of view, so it should be fine.
"For example, Malaysia this year felt a lot more comfortable than last year and it's similar, so I think I will be OK."

RED BULL DRIVERS PREVIEW THE SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

Daniel-Ricciardo-Daniil-Kvyat-F1-Grand-P

Red Bull drivers look ahead to the Singapore Grand Prix, Round 13 of the 2015 Formula World Championship, at Marina Bay Circuit.
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniel, it’s traditional for a driver to start the Singapore preview by saying it’s a bit hot and quite humid…
DR: Well it is hot! And very humid! I think it’s all those tall buildings downtown – the heat doesn’t have anywhere to go. It’s the most physical challenge of the year. It’s the only race of the season where you crack open your visor to let in some cool air and instantly wish you hadn’t because it’s hotter outside. By the warm-up lap your chilled drinks bottle is the temperature of a freshly-poured cup of tea. It’s a tough place to race – but I love the challenge. I think most of the drivers do.
You’re usually a happy camper in Singapore – do you like the buzz?
DR: I do. Firstly I like the track. Street circuits are fun: you’re bouncing off the kerbs, kissing the walls, it’s cool. And the city’s great. Good restaurants, good atmosphere, great nightlife. Yeah, my kind of place…
Do you have time to see any of it? Most days the team are leaving the track at 4am…
DR: Maybe not on a Friday or Saturday night. It’s a pretty crazy schedule. I’ll end up chilling by the pool perhaps, when we get back at 4am before going to bed – but it’s not as if we’d have any action on those nights if it were an afternoon race. Sunday’s pretty good in Singapore though. The longer the race has been there, the more familiar the city has become with our schedule and more restaurants and bars are staying open later. It’s surprising what you can do at 4am in Singapore!
This is the nearest F1 has been to your hometown since March – will you get back to Perth at all?
DR: Sadly not this trip. Last year I did because there was a week between Singapore and Japan but this year, because they’re back to back, I won’t be able to. But plenty of Aussies make the trip up to Singapore and I’ll have a few friends from home coming to the race – which is always fun.
Daniel, how do you summarise Suzuka’s figure-eight circuit?
DR: It’s fast, it’s flowing, and it’s got everything. High-speed, lowspeed, inclines, drops. Wonderful circuit.
What’s the key to getting the lap right?
DR: I think probably the first sector. If you can get a good balance on the car and link up all the left-right, left-right corners, which normally puts you in a good position for the rest of the lap. So, if you want to prioritise the car setup, it’s in that sector.
In the last couple of years you’ve made an effort to see more of Japan than just the paddock – what’s your impression?
DR: Oh I love going to Japan, and I’m absolutely fascinated by Tokyo. I turn into a complete tourist, gawping at the place, the people, the food – it’s just so incredibly cool. Personally, I really like hanging out in the tiny bars: crazy little places maybe only 5 square meters. It’s a really good experience. I recommend it.
This is the nearest F1 has been to your hometown since March – will you get back to Perth at all?
DR: Sadly not this trip. Last year I did because there was a week between Singapore and Japan but this year, because they’re back to back, I won’t be able to. But plenty of Aussies make the trip up to Singapore and I’ll have a few friends from home coming to the race – which is always fun.
Daniel, how do you summarise Suzuka’s figure-eight circuit?
DR: It’s fast, it’s flowing, and it’s got everything. High-speed, lowspeed, inclines, drops. Wonderful circuit.
What’s the key to getting the lap right?
DR: I think probably the first sector. If you can get a good balance on the car and link up all the left-right, left-right corners, which normally puts you in a good position for the rest of the lap. So, if you want to prioritise the car setup, it’s in that sector.
In the last couple of years you’ve made an effort to see more of Japan than just the paddock – what’s your impression?
DR: Oh I love going to Japan, and I’m absolutely fascinated by Tokyo. I turn into a complete tourist, gawping at the place, the people, the food – it’s just so incredibly cool. Personally, I really like hanging out in the tiny bars: crazy little places maybe only 5 square meters. It’s a really good experience. I recommend it.
Daniil Kvyat
The Singapore Grand Prix is regularly the longest race of the season in terms of duration and two of the last three races at Marina Bay have been ended by the clock rather than distance. How tough is such a long race for the drivers?
DK: It’s definitely one of the most challenging races of the championship. It’s the longest, one of the hottest, one of the most physically demanding races we face but having said that I do like the track, because although it’s a street circuit, it’s quite a bit quicker than Monaco. As grands prix go, it tends to have more atmosphere than the average…
What does it feel like to get out of the car at the end of the race?
DK: Last year it was extremely tough because my water bottle didn’t work, so it was a very difficult race. But this year I think I’m much better prepared from a physical point of view, so it should be fine. For example, Malaysia this year felt a lot more comfortable than last year and it’s similar, so I think I will be OK.
Do you enjoy the feel of the night race and the city?
DK: The weekend has its own pace. We obviously try to stay on European time, so you’re up later, but it’s fine, I don’t have a problem with switching on to night racing and the schedule. As for the city, it’s difficult to find the time to go out in Singapore. When you arrive you do get to go out a bit, to go to the malls and have a look around, but to be honest it’s not something you get much of an opportunity to do because once the race weekend starts the schedule makes it pretty difficult.
Drivers often mention Suzuka in the same breath as Spa in terms of the challenge it presents and the enjoyment the circuit offers. Is that the case for you?
DK: Definitely. It’s a very special track. It’s got great history, a good feeling and also a lot of proper balls-out corners, which I like. It’s a really cool circuit. Also, it’s where I was announced as a Red Bull driver last year so that’s a good memory. Of course last year’s race was very, very difficult because of Jules Bianchi’s accident and we will all naturally be thinking of him when we are driving there this year.
What’s the best part of the circuit?
DK: There are plenty of places that are really fast: the double left of Spoon; 130R can be pretty challenging in the wet. The ‘Esses’ are very tricky; if you get any bit of it wrong it compromises your whole lap. You have to be brilliantly precise. To be honest I find the whole lap really interesting though; I like it a lot. I love high-speed corners and Suzuka has a lot of those, so it’s very easy to enjoy. If you get the flow and the lines right it’s a great feeling.
It’s also got a very particular atmosphere, with some of the most passionate fans we encounter all season. Last year was your first experience of that, how did you find it?
DK: Japanese fans are very warm and welcoming and the atmosphere there is great. You always get given some odd gifts. Last year I got given a lot of fans – not people, things to, you know, cool you down! You also get a ton of stuff to sign. I really appreciate that the fans make an effort. They are passionate about Formula One and they really show it.

LOTUS PREVIEW THE SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

jm1512ap357-750x501.jpg

Mid-way through what has been a character-building season, one of the biggest characters in the F1 paddock, Lotus F1 Team Deputy Team Principal Federico Gastaldi urges the team’s fans to keep the faith for the future.
There have been some trying times at Enstone of late; what’s your appraisal of the current situation?
Federico Gastaldi: They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I can confirm that the team is very much alive but we have been going through a very strenuous workout programme this season! Things have certainly been tight and we’ve embraced the Japanese just-in-time philosophy a little too literally on occasions. All this has been necessary but we keep fighting the good fight. We believe in the team; we believe in Formula 1 and we believe we’ll still be here fighting for the rest of this season and beyond. Don’t believe any of the negative rumours you hear.
Can you talk about the challenge the team faced to get to Monza?
FG: External factors made it something of a challenge getting ready for Monza, but it was a mark of everyone at Enstone that we took it in our stride and we were able to compete over the weekend. I think we need to make particular mention of everyone on the race team, especially our set-up crew who put our Racebase – the home for our engineers and technical personnel – together in record time so we could operate over the weekend. Thanks too for our fellow teams, all of which offered their assistance and of particular note are Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso who lent us tyre blankets for Saturday after the overnight storm had damaged ours.
Looking ahead, how beneficial is it for Formula 1 to visit an important business hub like Singapore?
FG: It is a very important market for us as a team. We have seen increasing attention and interest from Singapore companies and have regular contact with many of them. The business centre of Singapore is one of the best, influential and most active in the world so we undertake lots of meetings and hospitality at the race. I must say the Singapore people have embraced F1 completely. They are passionate about the sport and they are proud to have a race right in the heart of their fantastic country.
There’s lots of talk about the financial situation of the team; what can you say?
FG: Everything is under control. Certainly, this is a lean-running year and you wouldn’t want to attempt running much leaner. Thankfully we do have some fantastic partners, all of whom understand the situation and are tremendouslysupportive. I need to clarify some misunderstanding too, all our sponsors and partners have paid on time and some even ahead of time. We’re certainly a pretty long way from being flush with money – unlike some of our rival teams – but we’ve done what has been necessary to make the team far more efficient and viable going forward.
Given the background and build-up, how much of a kick was the Monza result?
FG: It was a big stinking race for us, well a short and frustrating one. After all everyone had done to get the cars there, then start from the top ten, we saw the infamous first corner claim both our cars. There was some choice language for a little while after that. Then, we gathered up all the pieces and focused on the next races. There’s no time for “what could have been” in motor sport, you get on with the next challenge.
What are your thoughts if Renault were to return as a works team?
FG It would be fantastic for the sport and a mega-positive note for Enstone to see their return, but until any deal is signed, sealed and delivered we keep focused on our current tasks. It would be a very different project for Enstone and there’s been a lot of change over the past few years since they last had a full works team entry. Here in Enstone we’re used to adapting and making the most of situations. Certainly we would relish any opportunity to be a works team and welcome them back!
Final thoughts on Singapore?
FG: It is one of the most colourful races – even if it does take place at night! It’s always very well organised and a party most becoming to the sport! A fantastic place with a superb race venue, the people are very warm and welcoming; we’re always very happy to go there.
Being taken out from behind was not something Romain Grosjean enjoyed in Monza, so he heads to Singapore hopeful of a clean race to the chequered flag.
How much do you enjoy the challenge of Marina Bay?
Romain Grosjean: The track is really impressive with some technical parts and some classic street circuit ‘ninety degree’ turns. There are a few decent straights but it is mainly busy, busy, busy for us, with corner after corner. Going over landmarks like the (Anderson) Bridge and down the Raffles Boulevard make for a fantastic sight from both the cockpit and also for the TV viewers. This year will be interesting with the E23 as it is a car that does inspire confidence, and confidence is king when you’re on a street course. The biggest challenge will be if it’s wet at any time – then we really have to work hard!
Any special preparations for the physical demands?
RG: The key elements are sleep and hydration. It’s a humid heat so you sweat a lot – even walking into the track. Keeping hydrated is very important. It’s a race where we run unusual timings relative to the local day. Once you get used to waking up in the afternoon and then going to bed early morning, then it gets to be just routine. It’s no secret that I love my sleep so one of the most important aspects of preparation for me is ensuring that my room stays dark in the morning when we’re still sleeping due to the timings we run. I hope the hotel has good blackout curtains! If it doesn’t then it’s not unknown for me to tape black rubbish bags to the windows to keep the light out and guarantee my sleep!
What about the atmosphere of Singapore on Grand Prix weekend?
RG: I really love racing at this track and in fact I love the country as a whole. The Singapore people are very friendly and it is nice to see so many coming downtown to the race. It has a completely unique vibe for the Grand Prix weekend and it takes on an ambience like nowhere else we go to.
Will you be sampling any street-food?
RG: I love the mix of cuisine you find in Singapore. For what is a relatively small place there is such an amazing fusion of cultures and this means there’s a really diverse mix of foods. You can get some really interesting dishes from the street vendors and there are some world class restaurants in town too.
What memories stand out for you at Marina Bay?
RG: Qualifying in third place in 2013 was nice, but then I had to retire, so the memory is a little mixed. Actually, it is still a good memory to have such a strong qualifying because I think that at a street circuit like Marina Bay, a driver always makes that little bit of difference to the ultimate lap time, a little more so than permanent tracks. In 2012 I got points for seventh place, after some good battles. So I have some nice recollections of racing here.
What were you able to take from Monza?
RG: Once again we all saw what a tremendously strong and resourceful squad Lotus F1 Team is as everyone rallied round and overcame the difficulties put in our path. Everyone worked really hard. We started in the top ten but then another driver’s optimism at the first corner of all places meant the rear suspension of my car was damaged. That was it, race over. I was pretty gutted, but we carry on and Singapore’s our next opportunity for points.
Can you see Singapore offering a better chance of a result?
RG: Even though we haven’t been able to throw upgrades at the car like other teams can do, the E23 is a pretty balanced car in its qualities; it seems to go well everywhere. This means we go in with the opportunity of scoring points at tracks with very different characteristics. Every time I get in the car I think ‘let’s see what she can do’, so I’m positive heading to Singapore, Suzuka and all the rest of the circuits ahead.
Driver of car thirteen, Pastor Maldonado, looks to the challenges of Marina Bay for the thirteenth race of the 2015 season.
What’s your outlook looking to Singapore?
Pastor Maldonado: I’m positive. Singapore’s a fantastic event, it’s a fun circuit and we’ve got a great car. We’ve shown at many different circuits that we can perform well this year so it’s another race where we want to get out there and put in a strong performance.
What’s the key to a good lap at Marina Bay?
PM: Traction is fundamental in Singapore, it’s a really big factor. This is because the corners are generally slow and tight, so it means the way we exit them will be critical to ensure a good lap time. It will be tough to regulate the torque and the traction out of the slow speed corners. Then you look at all the normal things for a fast lap. It’s a track where you can’t make mistakes because the walls are so close.
Is Marina Bay a big physical challenge?
PM: Yes it is. Overall it is a very demanding track where you get no rest at all really. You are constantly turning or braking and there are only two short straights, not enough to really have a proper rest. But I like it this way because you get a rhythm going quickly. Physically it is tough because the humidity is so high and the race so long, much longer than Monza for instance.
Do you enjoy racing at night?
PM: To be honest it is not too different to racing in the day or at night. The main reason is quite simple – when we drive we do not look upwards, we are always focusing on what is straight ahead. The big change is the temperature of the Tarmac which is slightly cooler at night. So we have a slightly different approach because of this. We have to adapt our styles a little and make sure we create heat in the tyres as much as we can.
Any issues with the body clock re-set?
PM: As everyone knows, we stay on European time. Although some people say it is tough, I find it not to be too difficult. Once you have experienced it you get used to this way of living and it is only for a few days anyway. The physical demands are much harder because of the extreme humidity so I make sure I am very well hydrated in the days leading up to the race and of course during time in the cockpit. It is probably the most important part of our preparation.
What are your thoughts looking back to the Italian Grand Prix?
PM: It was another race I watched from our motor home and that’s not how I want to spend my races! It was frustrating. I got a good start but received contact from another car and my race was over. We kept going for that lap but it was obvious the front suspension was damaged. I was lucky in a way as I was able to retire in the garage rather than Romain who tried continuing after the incident he was involved in, and had to park his car on track then find his way back. I could watch the race straight away! That’s motor racing sometimes. The team had worked really hard and we were well placed for a race where we could have collected a lot of points. Looking to the future, the Italian Grand Prix was the last one of the European season so the last one with our motor home. Hopefully I enjoy the remaining seven races of the season for every lap behind the wheel of my race car.
Lotus F1 Team Technical Director Nick Chester looks to late nights in Singapore
Nick Chester: with a reasonable degree of optimism.
What’s the outlook for the E23 Hybrid on the streets of Singapore?
NC: It should be pretty good for us. We’ve shown the E23 to be pretty capable in low speed corners and over kerbs which is positive. We may not be quite as good as we have been at the medium downforce tracks but there’s scope for a good weekend.
What’s there to think about when one casts one’s mind to the Marina Bay circuit?
NC: There are a lot of walls and not so much run-off meaning there’s plenty to think about. You’re dealing with very slow speed corners and a lot of kerbs which means many demands on the car. There are many braking points – even though there aren’t any high speed stops, the brakes really take a pummelling as they’re always being used and they get no time to cool down. Lots of braking means lots of accelerating afterwards, so you need good traction. There’s plenty to think about for the drivers and engineers alike.
Looking at the car set-up for Singapore, what are the key elements?
NC: It is a high downforce track, so everybody will be running toward their maximum downforce set-up. Then it really is all about how you manage the mechanical set-up to get the best out of the car in terms of handling the kerbs. Ensuring a good level of grip in the low speed corners is crucial at Marina Bay.
How will the drivers compensate for the relative lack of track temperature in night running?
NC: It will be down to the drivers to report back what the car is doing and let the engineers re-balance the car as the track temperature comes down. With previous years’ experience we have a fair idea of what sort of adjustments we need to make. The temperature does fall quite a bit, changing the grip and balance of the car somewhat. As the track temperature comes down the grip difference front to rear can change and make it tricky to get the car balanced following the earlier hotter practice sessions.
Are there any particular challenges that the team face working at night and in the hot temperatures?
NC: The team doesn’t seem to find it particularly difficult. In fact, we are finding it reasonably easy, as we stay on European time! Before the very first race there in 2008 we had long discussions on how to prepare for it, as it contrasts so much with any other venue. But in the end it was okay. Singapore is a very popular race on the calendar and everyone in the team always enjoys coming back to this fantastic venue. It has a very vibrant and unique atmosphere which the whole paddock seems to like.
There’s been a lot of talk about the tyres recently and Pirelli has announced its latest race allocations – any thoughts on these?
NC: The allocations for the next races are pretty much what we’ve seen before and expected. For Sochi we go a step softer which should be beneficial for all. It’s normal for a tyre supplier to err on the side of caution with a new circuit which is what happened last year for our first visit to Russia so a step softer for this year is not a big surprise. It’s a smooth surface so getting the energy into the tyres with the harder compounds can be a challenge.
What was the debrief like after the Italian job?
NC: We were reasonably happy with the performance of the car, the drivers were confident with the balance and performance. Qualifying went reasonably well and although we could have got a little bit more out of it starting eighth and tenth on the grid wasn’t bad. It was a real shame to have both drivers taken out and neither accident was the fault of our drivers. We could have had a good run otherwise, on pace we should have been fighting for fifth.

Williams unsure of when they'll get upgraded engine

williams-rear-WW2Q0509.JPG

Mercedes spent the remainder of its seven development tokens on its power unit ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, debuting its upgraded engine in the back of race winner Lewis Hamilton's car.
The Briton won the race by 25 seconds to Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel, leading Red Bull team principal Christian Horner to describe the new engine as "frightening".
But Mercedes' customers haven't yet been told when, or even if, they'll receive the new unit before the end of the season.
Williams performance chief Rob Smedley is keen to see it in their cars, though if it does happen, it's unlikely to be fitted until later in the season as both Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas took on new engines at Monza and have just one penalty free change remaining.
"Obviously the works Mercedes team has had a power unit upgrade which we would dearly love in the back of our car as well," he said.
"That seems to have been a good step - Lewis was certainly going very quickly.
"We've got a new power unit to take before the end of the year," he added. "Whether that is the new specification I can't really tell you, but it's under discussion at the minute.
"If we get it before the end of the year, that would be a great advantage to us."
Massa added: "It looks a really big improvement. I have no idea when we're going to have it. I hope we will have it."
Williams sit a comfortable third in the championship, 82 points adrift of Ferrari but 75 ahead of Red Bull.

How Formula 1 is hindering fan growth

image2.img.640.medium.jpg

When it comes to promotion, Formula 1 subscribes to the Field of Dreams philosophy: “if you build it, they will come”.

The adage may have worked for Kevin Costner and baseball. Wayne’s World 2 taught the world that it certainly works for Aerosmith, but for motorsport? Not so much. Just ask the masterminds behind Korea’s Yeongam International Circuit, Spain’s Valencia Street Circuit, and India’s Buddh International Circuit.
Securing the hosting contract for a Formula 1 World Championship Event is but one challenge faced by the modern race promoter.
In order to keep the Grand Prix, they must then go on to entice so many people through the gates that the race is a profitable enterprise. But how does one go about making F1 look attractive to newcomers when it’s impossible to use the sport itself in your sales pitch?
As the F1 calendar has spread out from the sport’s European heartland, the sport has been faced with the challenge of selling itself in new markets. In those, the wealthy ruling class funding the race has been made aware of the sport’s associative glamour thanks to a jet-set life spent swanning between different events on the social calendar - Cannes in May, the Cartier Queen’s Cup, Royal Ascot and Wimbledon in June, winter’s Venice Biennale, and so on.
But the ticket-buying public in these countries lack much exposure to F1, and thanks to the nature of the arrangements made between the commercial rights holder and the race promoters with whom each deal is done, the sport is missing out on a fantastic money-spinning opportunity thanks to the short-sighted desire to retain a stranglehold on every aspect of F1 broadcasting.
62401.jpg
Promoting F1
In recent years, new entrants on the F1 calendar have been seeking out established motorsports PR agencies to help promote their event. Countries with a minor national interest in or exposure to F1 have proposed media saturation campaigns to introduce F1 to their populace, stimulating interest in the Grand Prix, which it is hoped will then lead to an increase in ticket sales. For it is only via bodies through the gates that a promoter can hope to make any form of profit from their sport.
In every instance, these campaigns, serving educate the general public on what F1 is and why they should care enough to buy a ticket, have had to be shelved when FOM’s strict controls on the use of F1 footage are explained and the estimated costs presented.
While no one expects Formula One Management to operate on a not-for-profit basis, the sport is not only denying itself potential future profits from a dedicated and passionate fanbase if such a fanbase can be established, but is also acting irresponsibly with regard to the sport’s long-term future.
r0_448_4384_2923_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
F1 venturing to new places
F1 is moving ever further from its European heartland in the pursuit of the greater riches to be found in global exposure. Countries where fans used to buy GP tickets in droves - Germany, France, and the Netherlands - are falling off the calendar in favour of the big-ticket prices paid by governments in the Far and Middle East for the simple glory of holding a Grand Prix.
The knowledgeable fanbase was more valuable than the sport’s stakeholders knew, and in many territories acted as a captive audience, buying next year’s race tickets while that year’s podium ceremonies were still ongoing.
498745257_MT_9697_7DE27194981D1A80747245
FOM's 'negative' attitude
In F1’s brave new world, however, new markets mean new fans to sell the sport to, and it is here that FOM’s attitude to broadcasting restrictions really has a negative effect on ticket sales. Off the record conversations with recent incoming race hosts reveal a GP promoter’s lot to be a challenging one, with the deck stacked against him.
When one enterprising promoter asked recently for footage of F1 cars in action for use in a national TV campaign, introducing the sight and sound of F1 to a largely ignorant viewing public ahead of that country’s first Grand Prix, he was quoted a usage fee so high as to make the concept untenable. As the material was for commercial use - even if the commercial was for FOM’s own product - commercial fees were non-negotiable.
It is irresponsible on the part of those who control the broadcasting rights not to make some concessions for the greater good - read “greater future profitability” - of the sport. As part of the hosting contract in a new territory, FOM should provide race promoters with a “F1’s Greatest Hits” highlight reel that can be used indiscriminately and without charge as long as it is being used to promote the Grand Prix and drive ticket sales.
To fail to use the sights and sounds of Formula 1 as this sport’s major sales pitch - be it daytime TV chat shows, interactive online media, or straightforward TV and radio advertising - is to fail to support those countries and promoters who have had the courage to bring our sport to their shores.
Selling F1 to an uneducated public is a risk, and it a risk that comes with a high chance of failure and an infinitesimal chance of making any profit whatsoever. To charge our supporters over the odds just so they can have a fighting chance of success is short-sighted.
If you build it, they won’t just come. You need to provide a prospective audience with a compelling reason to shell out for tickets. What could be more compelling than wheel-to-wheel battles between the world’s greatest drivers?

Williams not "reaching for the moon"

Valtteri-Bottas-Williams-GP-Italien-Monz

Williams' Rob Smedley says that not being too ambitious was key in achieving a strong result in the Italian Grand Prix.

Williams enjoyed a trouble-free weekend in Italy, where Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas finished third and fourth.
The Grove outfit has had a lot of frustration in recent months, most notably in Spa, where Bottas was fitted with set of mismatched tyres.
"The message to the team at the start of the weekend was that we had to have a clean weekend," Smedley told Motorsport.com.
"And if the car was the third quickest car, then we had to finish fifth and sixth. Other people dropped off for different reasons, reliability or starts, which is the two cars we got ahead of.
"But we didn't drop the ball, and we just went through trying to have the most calm and easy weekend that we could, and getting the most out of the car rather than reaching for the moon and falling way behind. We're reasonably pleased with it."
At Monza Nico Rosberg got ahead of both Williams drivers by pitting early, and Smedley admits that Massa did not have a perfect pitstop.
"We reacted immediately with Felipe, and the pitstop was slow. We took a long time to gun the wheels off. Without that there's a fair chance that we could have come out in front, we lost more than a second in the pitstop compared with what we do in practice.
"Whether that was enough to hold Nico off for the rest of the race I'm not sure, barring what happened with his engine, obviously.
"With Valtteri it was then a case that we'd sit it out for a little bit and make sure that he was rock solid at the end. That's where we went with that one."
No team orders
Smedley says that there were no team orders in the closing laps, when the cars ran close together.
"They were absolutely free to race. The only message that they got from the pit wall, and Pat [symonds] and I discussed it up on the pit wall, was you need to give a little bit more room as it's your team mate. But apart from that, get on and race."
Deputy team principal Claire Williams agreed that the weekend could not have turned out any better.
"I'm really pleased with that," she told Motorsport.com. "They made really good starts to get around Raikkonen's car at the beginning, and just drove a really solid race.
"The pitstop guys did what they needed to do. We obviously benefited from Rosberg, it was unfortunate for him to retire so late, but Felipe got a lovely podium.
"That's what we wanted, just a straightforward, easy race with with no issues, and we got that, and we got some great points, which we needed to do. It was about points for us, to try and close the gap to Ferrari, but more importantly extend the gap to Red Bull."

Force India: Perez announcement by Singapore

PA1772525.0036.jpg

Force India is set to announce Sergio Perez for 2016 in the coming days, despite the Mexican and his sponsorship being linked to the Renault/Lotus deal.

The team has already confirmed Nico Hulkenberg for next season, but deputy team principal Bob Fernley says that the delay on Perez is simply because the deal he has to conclude with team boss Vijay Mallya is more complicated than that involving the German.
"Vijay is finishing off the discussions with him, and I think by Singapore we should be clear to announce everything," Fernley told Motorsport.com.
"One deal is more complex, there are commercial issues involved, whereas the other is a driver contract."
Continuity positive
Fernley insists that driver continuity is good for the team, and says that Hulkenberg's decision to stay was an indication of his faith in the Silverstone outfit.
"We have two drivers that get on well within the team, they're pushing each other all the time. Both of them are excellent racers. I'm not sure that we could do better, that's the key.
"I think that they are both very happy at Force India.
"Obviously Nico had a choice, and he's made that choice, and I think it's the same thing probably with Checo. Nico was out of contract, Checo's is a renewal."

F1 seeking solution for track limits abuse

image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

Formula 1 teams and the FIA are working on trying to find a better solution to deterring drivers from abusing track limits.

The issue of drivers trying to seek an advantage by straightlining turns has come back on to the agenda following the Belgian Grand Prix tyre blowouts.
It has been suspected that damaged kerbs or debris off track contributed to the blow outs suffered by Sebastian Vettel and Nico Rosberg over the Spa weekend.
F1 has long faced difficulties in trying to ensure drivers keep to the confines of the track, but the FIA has often made clear that punishments will only be handed out on occasions where it is proven a driver gained an advantage.
However, the tyre issues at Spa-Francorchamps have indicated problems could go beyond a competitive benefit – because it has highlighted there could now be safety issues at stake.
That is why the matter is now being discussed by teams and the FIA.
A safe solution
The abuse of track limits in F1 has come about because of the increasing use of asphalt run-off areas, which means drivers no longer face the risk of permanent retirement if they run wide like they used to when gravel traps were more common.
The issue the FIA has had in introducing physical deterrents – like barriers or high kerbs – on asphalt areas is that they can cause bigger problems if a driver has had a genuine problem and is off the track because of a crash.
At Spa, for example, an extra sausage kerb was initially introduced parallel to the track at Raidillon to try to stop drivers straighlining it.
However, following concern after the first day of running about the potential for the kerb to cause a bigger issue if cars were launched over it – especially in the wet – it was removed.
With no significant deterrent there any more, drivers regularly cut behind the kerb at Raidillon through the race, and that is potentially where Vettel picked up the cut that is said to have caused his tyre failure.
Tough job
Red Bull boss Christian Horner admits that having drivers potentially run through debris fields and on the wrong side of kerbs is not ideal for F1's tyre supplier.
"It is not an easy job for Pirelli," he said. "Every circuit and kerb is different in every circuit we go to.
"Now, obviously the drivers are abusing the circuits more than perhaps when there were gravel traps because they can. And any advantage a driver can find he will use. Eau Rouge is a very different corner to what it was 10 years ago."
Work on trying to find a better solution is already underway. It is understood that the issue was discussed between the FIA, teams and drivers over the Italian Grand Prix weekend as part of the review process to Belgium and work will be ongoing.
Raised lines
One idea that has been put forward is for the run-off areas to be painted with a series of parallel raised lines.
These would be high enough that, if run over, would make it uncomfortable for drivers and potentially slow them down, but not be severe enough to pose further dangers by launching them in to the air.
At Spa, for example, a few raised lines further down the corner were the cause of Pastor Maldonado's race-ending incident when he hit them with a 17G force, which prompted a car failure.
Maldonado said he thought the best solution would be for a stricter enforcement of track limits – with perhaps a two-strikes and you're out rule.
"Normally if you go wide you lose time, but at other times you can gain time," he said. "The best thing is to make sure that you can't get an advantage from running wide.
"As a driver you can run wide as the result of braking too late and having a lock up – and at those times the areas are there for safety. But some drivers are trying to go faster.
"So in the races, maybe if you do it more than once or twice in a row and you are fighting for a place, then maybe the team should be told to say you should not do it again.
"In qualifying, you should keep it as the limits of the track – two wheels on at all times and that is it."

Mark Webber on F1 politics, pay drivers and Pirelli

mark-webber-porsche-silverstone-wec-2014

Mark Webber talks to ESPN about the current state of F1 and the launch of his new autobiography Aussie Grit, which was released in the UK this week
One of the main themes of your autobiography is that F1 isn't quite what it seems from the outside, was that something you wanted to get across?
I think when you come into the sport you are just so naïve. When you arrive the rose-tinted glasses are just so deep that everything is mega and everyone is a legend, but of course not all sports are like that and Formula One is no exception. It is still the pinnacle, it is sensational, it's great, but there are other things you see with an agenda here or there, a bit of politics or the realisation that one guy is not as good as you thought or another is a lot better than you thought. You just learn and that is something you go through having been there for 15 years, you learn about what is actually the reality.
At one point you mention that you were always very apolitical, is that something you had to change or did you struggle to get your head around the politics?
I think I struggled with the amount of energy you needed to put into brown-nosing people you don't want to. I slightly struggle with that. That just can happen, so I think it's something you try to accept might be there but you try to be careful with your energy levels to make sure you don't blow up and put too much energy into things that will ultimately piss you off.
One thing you have been vocal about this week is quality of the current F1 field. At the start of your career there were more chances to test, do you think the talented drivers are out there but unable to prove themselves in F1 machinery now?
That's right. That's really the beef. We need the Max Verstappens, the Carlos Sainzs, these types of of drivers coming in and the drivers that are paying their way in and hauling their way into the sport I don't agree with. That's what we need to keep an eye on and stop it continuing. It doesn't happen in any other sport and it shouldn't be happening in our sport to that level. We have to have the young talent coming in and replacing the greats that we have in there now. We have four world champions on the grid, but they won't be there forever. Who's next? Well there's Daniel Ricciardo, Sainz and Verstappen and [Valtteri] Bottas, but the field could be deeper. We've had this period now where the pay drivers have been a bit heavier than years gone by and we just need to make sure that we don't accept too much of that in the future.
pors-wec-2014-8-470x313.jpg
That comes back to money in Formula One, the politics behind it and its distribution, doesn't it? For some teams it seems there is no way to compete without pay drivers?
It's very much down to getting your team in order, operating well and punching above your weight financially and getting that exponential curve of financial rewards. Then you're on your way and holding the team together and getting the best drivers and engineers. The model has been very consistent from the outset, there are no handouts, it's a tough way to get through. But coming off the back of the financial crisis the sport was very delayed in reacting to that and sponsors have tightened the purse strings. Coming off the back side of that maybe we were a bit slow in reacting and if we didn't take the hit initially we are going through it in the last two or three years. The teams are hit financially, so where do they go? They have to go to drivers that can bring commercial relationships in order to pay the rest of their staff.
You mentioned Max Verstappen as a driver the sport needs, how impressed have you been by him and how would a 17-year-old Mark Webber have dealt with being in his position so young?
Rubbish! That was 20 years ago and I didn't have the exposure to the mileage he had and all sorts of things, but I couldn't have done it. Very rarely do you get a 17-year-old that can do the same. I suppose Kimi [Raikkonen] is the closest in terms of age, respect and what he did at that age to come in. Jenson [button] too and Fernando to a degree, those two were very, very young. Lewis was later on but by then the simulators were a big part of the sport, so that early generation who just had to get in and get the job done. It's like a fighter pilot being forced through the system and then flying an F-18 very quickly, but Max is the real deal, done a great job and got the respect of the other drivers very quickly. He's an absolute pro, as much as he can be, and has done a great job.
Would it have been possible physically for a 17-year-old to come into the sport when you were starting out?
I think he's pretty mature for 17 and looks like a pretty strong lad. I think back then the cars were different to drive and there was a bigger physical component, so it's hard to compare. I think when you look at someone like a Fernando or JB, they got themselves in shape when they first arrived in the sport and applied themselves, so it was possible.
One thing that you mention in the book is how you struggled with the Pirelli tyres, is that something that really took the momentum out of the end of your career?
Definitely. One of my signature punches was fast corners, I always gained time in faster corners, but that just happened to be a thing that was lost when Pirelli arrived. Especially when we were learning about the tyres - the teams know a lot more about them now - but in the early days Red Bull really encouraged us not to go through the fast corners at top speed; we had to back off, go through there at seven tenths and save the tyres. At that age it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks and I wasn't adaptable enough and I lost some lap time with that and wasn't good enough to react in other areas, so that really did hurt me. That was one skill that I had relied on throughout my whole career and suddenly it was gone.
Podium-2-470x319.jpg
The tyres have been back in the headlines recently and we heard in Monza that the drivers have been told not to criticise Pirelli. I guess that's something you wouldn't have appreciated when you were in the sport?
If you want to keep having a career, you'll stay quiet. If you're at the tail end of your career like I was you might be a little more trigger happy and less concerned. I think what we should be talking about is Lewis winning by a big margin and the battles going on in the field, but I think unfortunately in the last few years we've been talking about everything but the racing and that's what we are all disappointed with, whether its tyres, engines or something else. We've just got to get back to the racing, focus on the drivers and their skill. That's the sport.
A lot of drivers complain about the tyres now, did the way the cars feel in the last few years of your career sap your motivation?
Oh yeah. It's the same for all the guys that had exposure to the cars that had lap-record pace in the mid-2000s, now when your five or six it feels pedestrian to say the least. That's something that frustrates the guys that have had exposure to those cars from the 2000s, because they wanted to peel that pace off to put more racing and more entertainment in and that's the decision they made. If people like watching that, that's fine, but also if you want to watch a lot overtaking and great racing you can also go to your local go-kart track. It's just finding what everyone likes, keeping the drivers happy, keeping the fans happy and the teams. It's a very technical sport now and we need to keep everything a bit more simple. All these engine penalties and understanding tyre compounds, people aren't interested in that, they just want to see some good racing.
1.jpg
With the changes for 2017 it's almost like F1 has gone full circle. We are going back to wider-track cars, 1000bhp engines, but have we lost an era of F1 in recent years with the current cars?
I don't know about that, the drivers will always be remembered and Lewis' purple patch people will always remember. It might be that there are more or less exciting periods in F1, there are sections of each decade that you might not always remember, but it's not the drivers' fault and it's usually due to changes that are a knee-jerk reaction on the back of domination. With Michael Schumacher in the Ferrari they looked at ways to change the regulations to stop Michael winning, then it was Sebastian [Vettel] and they changed the regulations so it wouldn't help Red Bull and now its Mercedes and the engines. Every four or five years we have a big regulation shift and sometimes you get it right and sometimes you get it wrong.