FORMULA 1 - 2015

LAUDA: WE WERE WORRIED BUT AFTER SUZUKA WE CALMED DOWN

Niki-Lauda-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-Qualify

Mercedes F1 chairman Niki Lauda has admitted to feeling relief after the Silver Arrows returned to the top of the podium in Japan, and resumed their dominance at the pinnacle of the sport
While the German camp thinks it was due to a combination of factors, an air of mystery continues to surround Mercedes’ recent Singapore slump.
The silver cars, however, returned to the highest steps of the podium in Japan a week later, so team chairman Lauda admitted: “Singapore was a bit of a worrying setback.
“But to see at Suzuka that we were just like before – the strongest – calmed us down,” the F1 legend told La Repubblica.
But that doesn’t mean he will once again be trotting out the controversial line about Ferrari, who won in Singapore, being better at making spaghetti than fast F1 cars.
F12015JAP_DPPI1804892.jpg?resize=750%2C5
“Enough of this joke,” Lauda insisted. “Ferrari has improved a lot this season and done a great job. They are a serious and formidable opponent.”
“And in Singapore they did well enough to put some doubt in our minds. At Suzuka however we got rid of that uncertainty and brought us back to reality — on some circuits, almost all of them, we are still the best,” he declared.
Indeed, many now believe that the only remaining threat to Mercedes this year is a re-escalation of hostilities between teammates Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg.
A collision was only avoided at the start of Sunday’s race, for instance, when Rosberg drove off the track to avoid the aggressive Hamilton.
Lauda, though, says he has “zero concern” the situation will descend into a damaging war, “We had this bad collision at Spa last year, but since then nothing has happened. So we are talking about August of 2014 and a lot of time since then.”
Niki-Lauda-F1-Grand-Prix-Abu-Dhabi-IUGIz
Asked if a repeat of the crash can be ruled out, Lauda exclaimed: “Absolutely. We have two very professional drivers who love the challenge and want to win, but also know that they are racing for a team.”
Runaway championship leader Hamilton, however, has a growing points lead, sky-high confidence and near-unprecedented form, causing Lauda to predict he will win the title.
“Given his advantage and the way he is driving the car, I would say yes,” he said. “Surprises are never excluded, but he has 48 points on Rosberg. In single races he can be attacked, but in the standings he is unreachable.”
Asked if the Briton therefore already has his hand on the championship trophy, Lauda said: “He never removed his hands from it, as he also won last season. And from the team perspective it is nice to think that if he cannot do it, his teammate (Rosberg) will.”

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

VERSTAPPEN: NOT NECESSARY TO WORRY ABOUT RED BULL FUTURE

Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Prix-Italy-Pract

Amid all the talk of Red Bull in crisis and threats to pull out of Formula 1, Max and Jos Verstappen insist they are not worried.
However, the energy drink company – owning not just Red Bull but also Dutch sensation Max’s team Toro Rosso – is threatening to quit formula one over its engine predicament.
And amid all the uncertainty, the Verstappens are not worried they could be left in the wilderness.
“I don’t think it’s necessary to worry,” Max told the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. “I don’t know what will happen and what is being discussed, but my feeling is that Red Bull and Toro Rosso will be on the grid next year.”
And Max’s father Jos suggested the 17-year-old would have other options anyway, “Max has made an incredible impression in the past months and so I’m convinced everything will work out.”
“It would be great if he can continue his career with Red Bull and Toro Rosso,” the former F1 driver added.
Meanwhile Lauda has predicted that F1 will ride out the current Red Bull storm.
Jos-Verstappen-Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-P
“If they actually go, which no one really believes, then it would indeed be a great loss for formula one,” he told Blick. “But at the start of the season next year in Australia, hardly anyone will be talking about it.”
Even F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is alarmed, particularly amid the prospect of a European Commission investigation that could further enrage Mateschitz by ordering he hand back ‘special payments’ for his team.
“He has probably had enough of everything going on,” Ecclestone told the Times. “I am doing everything I can to make sure Red Bull stay with us, but things need to come together quickly. He is serious when he says he will quit if things don’t improve.”
Ferrari, however, is offering Red Bull only an outdated 2015 engine for next year, while Mercedes has hit back at reports it might re-think its decision to withhold ‘power units’ from the energy drink camp.
69334613182309516.jpg?resize=750%2C501
“Impossible,” team chairman Niki Lauda told La Repubblica. “The negotiation ended long ago. They had a wrong approach, which Mercedes did not like, and now the door is closed. They should go with Maranello.”
Lauda also told the Swiss newspaper Blick: “It strange that the names Red Bull and Mercedes were ever mentioned together, because Mateschitz does not like Mercedes.”
The fact Ecclestone is now actively involved, however, is a sign that a compromise might eventually be reached.
The 84-year-old Briton said: “It is not ideal but Mr Mateschitz will have to be patient. We definitely do not want them to leave.”

BUTTON: IF I AM IN F1 IN 2016 IT WILL BE WITH MCLAREN-HONDA

Jenson-Button1.jpg?resize=750%2C501

McLaren has rubbished the theory that Jenson Button is weighing up a move to Renault next year to replace Romain Grosjean who will depart to join the all new Haas F1 Team, while the Englishman has declared that if he remains in F1 it will be with the Woking outfit.
“This article is nonsense,” a spokesman for the struggling Honda-powered team told us, after the speculation of a switch to Enstone for Button did the rounds. Clearly, however, the threads of the story are all present.
Button and Ron Dennis are openly disputing whether a deal for 2016 is in place, Button says he only wants to be in F1 if he is “competitive”, and managing director Jonathan Neale said in Japan that McLaren would “respect” Button’s desire to go.
But Speed Week quoted Button as saying: “After so many years together, it would feel wrong to go somewhere else. If I am in formula one in 2016, it will be with McLaren-Honda.”
The Button saga aside, another sign that McLaren-Honda is in turmoil is fresh speculation in the Spanish press that Fernando Alonso could decide to take a “sabbatical” in 2016 rather than spend another season at the back.
Former two-time champion Mika Hakkinen, referring to Alonso’s radio outbursts at Suzuka, told Finland’s Ilta Sanomat newspaper: “When development of the engine is very slow, it is a frustrating time for the driver.
G7C9738.jpg?resize=750%2C501
“I remember it from my own career, when Mercedes came to McLaren,” he said. “But especially with these rules you cannot assume that engine manufacturers can take big steps at every race.”
Hakkinen continued: “Alonso and many other drivers are compensated really well for what they do, when they agree to support the team in good and bad times. Myself, I waited seven years for my first victory.”
“Yes, Alonso is a double world champion, but he has only driven the McLaren-Honda for about half a year — yet already he has begun to complain about the engine manufacturer. Fernando should keep in mind that he signed up for this challenge,” Hakkinen concluded.
Mercedes F1 team chairman Niki Lauda hopes McLaren-Honda can remain united amid the challenge and told Blick, “I just hope they don’t make the same mistakes that Red Bull and Renault made.”
“Sure, McLaren expected more from Honda in the first year, and perhaps vice versa. But it also needs time, just as with Mercedes in the early years of Schumacher and Rosberg. There are no guarantees of success in Formula 1,” Lauda insisted.

HAS GROSJEAN JUMPED THE LOTUS SHIP TOO SOON?

Romain-Grosjean-Romain-Grosjean-Joins-Ha

Romain Grosjean has admitted that Lotus’ financial troubles contributed to his decision to leave the Enstone team, and now with Renault committed to a future as a works team some are questioning the wisdom of the Frenchman’s defection to the all new Haas F 1 team.
Some, however, questioned Grosjean’s move, particularly as Lotus – despite its obvious financial troubles – now appears close to being taken over by Renault and 58 per cent of 22,000 voters at the French publication L’Equipe said they think the 29-year-old has made the wrong move.
But after Tuesday’s official announcement, Grosjean told France’s RMC that “The conditions (at Lotus) have not been easy this year”.
Grosjean admitted that his decision to join Haas was taken before Renault signed the letter of intent to buy Lotus, “The first contacts (with Haas) date back a year. And things accelerated around Monza time. Just before Singapore I made my decision.”
He told the French broadcaster Canal Plus: “The Renault challenge could have been something very good, but the wait as to whether they are coming or not was long. And we still do not know for sure today. Unfortunately, the 2016 season is fast approaching.”
Romain-Grosjean-F1-Grand-Prix-Belgium-BX
So Grosjean insisted he is now feeling secure at Haas, and upbeat about the future, “Yes, we are talking about a new team, but the support of Ferrari should not be underestimated.
“I also felt that they really want me, which is always a nice feeling for a driver. At the same time there was a lot of uncertainty about Lotus, as for a long time no one knew whether it would work out with Renault. So I can say now that Haas is right for me,” Grosjean insisted.
Clearly, Ferrari is an important ingredient in the Haas recipe for Grosjean, as he declares that the “technical partnership with Ferrari and Dallara is very clever”.
“From the beginning, they wanted the best drivers, the best engineers, the best solutions to be competitive from the very beginning. They do not have to work with pay-drivers,” he explained.
Some, however, believe Grosjean has only signed up in the hope that it might eventually lead to a full works seat at Maranello.
But he said: “Ferrari was not the primary reason for signing with Haas. It is more the big picture that I like. But of course it is also nice that we are counting on a partner like Ferrari.
jm1528ma406.jpg?resize=750%2C500
As for the future Grosjean said “Later is later. What is clear is that everyone – engineers, mechanics, drivers – dreams of Ferrari.”
“But I can also dream of one day returning to Renault and trying to win the world championship as a Frenchman with a French team. Everything is open,” he insisted.
“I have always been supported by Total, and my career has always been with Renault. It’s too fast to think that I’m going to go from Haas to Ferrari if Kimi Raikkonen leaves.”
“First I have to show what I’m capable of at Haas. For sure Ferrari will keep an eye on what happens, then we’ll see. Clearly I am in formula one to become world champion.”
Still, he admitted that choosing between his two options caused him “sleepless nights”, but now he is comfortable with his new path, even though team owner Gene Haas on Tuesday declared that Grosjean will have pressure on his shoulders as “lead driver”.
Grosjean says he is unfazed, “Since Kimi Raikkonen left Lotus, I set the direction in the team so it’s not as though it’s a new role.”
“Certainly it would have been easier to stay at Enstone, where I know everyone and everything, but now and then you want to try something fresh in life,” mused Grosjean.

CHANDON BECOMES NEW OFFICIAL PARTNER OF MCLAREN-HONDA

D4S6374.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Press Release: McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team announces an exciting new partnership with Chandon, signed today.
As one of the most successful teams in Formula 1 history, McLaren meets Chandon, the vibrant sparkling wine with a boundless conquering spirit. The partnership perfectly highlights Chandon’s open spirit, ‘joie de vivre’ and spontaneous approach to life.
The partnership is a long-term, global collaboration that will bring Chandon’s sparkling attitude to the famous McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team.
The partnership was made official today at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, Surrey, England. It was signed by Christophe Navarre, Chairman and CEO of Moët Hennessy, and Ron Dennis, McLaren Technology Group Chairman and CEO.
Chandon and the McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team: two icons unite for a long-term collaboration
Formula 1 racing is a thrilling international spectacle, and the McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team’s passion and legendary champions have long been at the heart of it all.
McLaren and Honda returned to the racetrack as partners at the start of the 2015 Formula 1 season. The partnership reunites one of the most dominant pairings in motorsport history: between 1988 and ’92 McLaren and Honda won eight world championships and 44 grands prix, took 53 pole positions and set 30 fastest laps – all in just 80 grands prix.
“The McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team’s story is characterised by human endeavour, filled with heroic champions who have stood on sport’s global stage. This is a team that seizes the moment and remains open to new challenges,” said Christophe Navarre. “Chandon couldn’t be happier to partner with the McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team. This is a rich new occasion to bring our fans together around the world, and to enjoy the depth of this connection.”
Ron Dennis said: “It is extremely exciting that Moët Hennessy has chosen to join with the McLaren Honda team through Chandon to form a unique, long-term partnership. The fit between Chandon and McLaren Honda is a natural one, with both sharing a passion to innovate in whatever we do, combined with a unique style and approach. It is a great privilege for everyone at McLaren Honda to partner with Chandon, one of the iconic brands in the prestigious Moët Hennessy portfolio.”
Chandon was founded on this spirit of openness and collaboration: the kind that invites outstanding, fruitful encounters. Renowned oenologist Renaud Poirier set out to explore the world and find the best terroirs to create sparkling wines. He first arrived in Mendoza, Argentina in 1959 and collaborated with local winemakers, adapting traditional French winemaking know-how to local varieties.
The result, thanks to this versatile openness and laid-back approach to doing things differently, was an exceptional new breed of local sparkling wines. Today, more than 55 years later, Chandon’s vineyards are present in Argentina (1959), the US (1973), Brazil (1973), Australia (1986), India (2013) and China (2014). An authentic and respected brand, Chandon wines are enjoyed around the world.
No one knows how to embrace the times – and cutting-edge technology – like McLaren and Chandon. Both incorporate their conquering spirit and impeccable innovation: McLaren with its unparalleled racing cars, and Chandon in its winemaking savoir-faire and global search for perfection in crafting its wines.
There is always a reason to celebrate, enjoy and unwind, whether at the end of a challenging race, or the end of a good day. Chandon is the perfect sparkling toast for the moments that are made possible when you remain open to life and the beautiful opportunities it has in store.
Together, Chandon and McLaren Honda are present in the world’s most cosmopolitan cities. Formula 1 is in 19 countries across five continents, and Chandon produces its wine in six countries, and is also available across five continents.

ECCLESTONE NOT WORRIED ABOUT EU COMPLAINT BY F1 TEAMS

euro-f1-logo-flag-icon.jpg?resize=750%2C

Force India, Sauber and the European Commission have all confirmed reports a formal complaint about formula one has been lodged and received.
In their complaint, we can reveal that the two midfield teams say the current income distribution model and rule-making strategy group are both “unlawful and unfair”.
They say that, unlike the middle-grid private teams, the powerful top outfits receive extra payments not connected to actual results, while their position on the strategy group mean they can steer rules “to their own advantage”.
“By locking in a permanent advantage for a select few teams, the sport has been gravely undermined,” said the document authored by Force India and Sauber and the teams are not denying the complaint has been lodged.
“Due to the ongoing legal discussions,” said a Force India spokesperson, “it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”
And a Sauber spokesperson added: “The process has been initiated, so we are unable to make any further comment.”
The European Commission, meanwhile, admitted: “We have received a complaint and will assess it.”
According to the paddock grapevine, the early reaction to the prospect of a European investigation is that it could spell real trouble for formula one.
Red Bull’s Dietrich Mateschitz is already threatening to quit, it might affect Ferrari’s plans to float on the stock market, and strict company compliance rules and laws could mean that Mercedes’ position is in doubt.
F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone told Germany’s Sport Bild: “I will not comment on that. But I am sure that the Commission will be satisfied that we have conducted our business properly.”
He also told the Swiss newspaper Blick: “It (the complaint) is strange, as these teams signed the contracts themselves.”

Mercedes confirm Rosberg had power issue at start

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico

Nico Rosberg "didn't have the same power" as Lewis Hamilton at the start of the Japanese Grand Prix, Mercedes have confirmed.
The German started Sunday's race in pole position and, although both drivers made good getaways once the lights went out, Hamilton had the inside line at Turn 1 and went into the lead at the next corner as Rosberg ran wide.
Hamilton eased to victory to open a 48-point lead in the Drivers' Championships over his team-mate, but Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff has revealed Rosberg wasn't at full power.
"The initial getaway was good for both cars. Nico had a little bit of an issue with a hotter power unit and when it kicked in after a couple of seconds, he didn't have same power as Lewis," he said.
He added: "It was showing up on the formation lap. I haven't got an explanation yet but there was definitely a slight drop in power due to a temperature related issue.
"We don't know yet if it was down to the driver, but it affected him the whole race – and definitely affected him in the fight at Turn 1 and Turn 2."
Wolff also played down suggestions that Rosberg wasn't strong enough when it came to defending his position against Hamilton during the early stages of the race.
"I don't think it has anything to do with being soft or not; it is always very difficult to race your team-mate," he said.
"We have seen great racing afterwards with [Valtteri] Bottas, and it was a tricky situation for both.
"Lewis said he had understeer in the car and he ran out of track. Two cars side-by-side through Turn 2 is difficult anyway."
MIKA: What annoys me about Modern Formula 1 is that YOU NEED TO BE ON POLE and YOU NEED TO BE IN FRONT by the first lap in order to win the majority of races. Once you're in front, in most instances, you WILL be the winner. This is what needs to change.

Pirelli would reconsider F1 future if Red Bull quits

rb11-1335LB1D5476.jpg

Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli would have to reconsider its future in the sport if Red Bull goes ahead with its threat to quit, removing both its teams from the grid in 2016.
Both are without engines after falling out with current supplier Renault and are therefore seeking a supply of Ferrari engines, but will only accept equal footing with the Ferrari works team.
When asked if losing two high-profile teams would have an impact on Pirelli's future, motorsport director Paul Hembery told Autosport: "It would make us think very heavily, yes.
"To lose two high quality, well-funded, professional teams - and I can't imagine there would be immediate replacements, even though we have Haas entering next year - then you are going to be worried.
"I know people say teams come and go, but we are talking about a very serious investment made over a significant number of years by Red Bull, and from our point of view, it would weaken the sport dramatically.
"For us, they are two very important teams."
Hembery described their potential loss as a "disaster" for the sport.
"We admire what they've done for the sport in terms of driver development. They're also a team that goes outside of the Formula 1 circus to promote the sport.
"So from our point of view, as a sponsor, any risk of losing both those teams would be a significant disaster for Formula 1."
MIKA: Ciao Pirelli and ciao Red Bull. Welcome Haas and Michelin
  • Like 1

New exhaust rules to increase noise in 2016

hondara615h-2-941x529.jpg

The FIA has changed the rules regarding car exhaust in a bid to make the current generation of cars louder.
The World Motor Sport Council approved the changes to tail pipes which will come into effect next year having determined they will not reduce the performance or efficiency of the current V6 hybrid turbo power units.
“For 2016, all cars must have a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe through which all and only wastegate exhaust gases must pass,” noted the FIA. “This measure has been undertaken to increase the noise of the cars and will not have any significant effect on power or emissions.”
Further detail changes to the regulations were also approved. Penalties for power unit and gearbox changes, which were also amended earlier this year, will now “be applied based on the time of use”, it stated. “For changes made after qualifying, preference will be given to the driver whose team first informed the technical delegate that a change will occur.”
Drivers will be required to start the race from the pit lane if they cause an aborted start, regardless of whether they are subsequently capable of starting from their grid position.
“For 2017, on board cameras on stalks on the nose of cars will be prohibited,” the FIA added.

MIKA, out of curiosity what do you think needs to change to make overtaking easier?

Seems like in Nascar and Indy overtaking happens on a regular basis, but there are certain road races in Indy that the same thing happens--except timing of pit stops along with when to take fuel and how much seems to be a big decider.

Red Bulls Quit Threat(s)

159197-06dd7bc4-df0c-11e4-b60a-424ceb2f8

If you google on the Internet you can find a lot of Formula 1 stories related to the word “threat”. You can read about Fernando Alonso threatening not to stay at McLaren, you can read about Pirelli threatening to quit if there is no testing allowed. You can read a lot of stuff about Red Bull: “Horner outlines reality of Red Bull quit threat”, “Red Bull boss Marko issues fresh F1 quit threat” and so on.

Threatening to do something is often a sign of weakness. If you need to threaten, the other parties in the negotiation obviously do not consider that quitting is an option. The threat only really works if the other parties believe that it is in your best interest to follow through on the threat.
To establish a credible threat, one also needs to have an adequate alternative.
Fernando Alonso threatening to quit McLaren, for example, is not that credible because there is nowhere else that wants him, that he would go to. So his only real alternative is to retire. Thus, there is no real threat. Retirement or a sabbatical is not what Alonso wants. He is getting old in Formula 1 terms and what he really needs is to be in a fast car and to add to his score before his career runs out. If he makes the wrong decisions in his career, he has only himself to blame. Stopping because he is frustrated is not ultimately of any value to him. If he wants to break his contract – worth $40 million a year – McLaren would probably be only too happy, as it would save them money at a time when that commodity is in short supply than usual. And it has no shortage of drivers.
Yes, perhaps Alonso is a bit special, but does it matter if the car is not good enough?
The Red Bull quit threat is one that seems to suggest desperation. Red Bull has been in sports and used it to good effect for more than 20 years, so to quit would be illogical unless things have changed and Red Bull does not see Formula 1 as being as good a way to deliver a message than it traditionally has been. Red Bull has enjoyed plenty of successes in F1 and does not like to have put itself into a position where it will be tough to be successful in the years ahead. But does Red Bull have a better alternative?
It is a lot like when Ferrari used to threaten to leave Formula 1.
This was never a credible threat because no other form of motor racing offers Ferrari the exposure and the money that allow it to not even bother with traditional advertising. Motorsport is Ferrari’s only form of advertising and everything except Formula 1 gets minimal coverage. Audi may win Le Mans a dozen times but if one has to back up sporting success with advertising, the only value in the sport is in the technology it is developing and (perhaps) in the attitude it fosters in engineers and throughout the company in general
Red Bull needs to face up to the fact that THEY have backed themselves into a corner by ditching one engine supplier and failing to have another one lined up. It now finds itself over a barrel and must accept the terms on offer or stomp away and disappear from the Formula 1 scene completely. Red Bull has dabbled in IndyCar and NASCAR in the past and given up on both. It is involved in various other championships but it knows the value these have, in comparison to Formula 1. It is involved in soccer. The fact that it has been in F1 to such a huge degree indicates the importance of Formula 1 and thus exposes it's weakness of the Red Bull threat.
The only real option that makes sense is for Red Bull to do what McLaren did a generation ago when it lost Honda engines. There were no real alternatives at the time but McLaren agreed terms to run Ford customer Cosworth engines, at a time when Benetton was the Ford factory team. The fact that McLaren went on to beat Benetton 5 victories to 1 showed that McLaren was a better option for a manufacturer and so that enabled McLaren to land a Peugeot deal and when that didn't work out, to sign up with Mercedes. And that led (eventually) to a new era many great successes.
If Red Bull wants to leave Formula 1, a lot of people in the sport (And on FOH) really do not care. Someone will come along and buy the teams and the sport will make modifications if the costs continue to make life hard for the midfield. It would be nicer to see Red Bull knuckle down and get back to their winning ways.
  • Like 1

MIKA, out of curiosity what do you think needs to change to make overtaking easier?

Seems like in Nascar and Indy overtaking happens on a regular basis, but there are certain road races in Indy that the same thing happens--except timing of pit stops along with when to take fuel and how much seems to be a big decider.

Mate I'm no technical expert on Formula 1 but merely a huge fan of the sport and through this, you get to go through the various changes over each season and decades, I've maybe learnt a little reading the various sources and forums. I really miss the early 2000's era in the sport. There were a lot more freedoms in the sport but within regulations.

There are a number of things that could allow more overtaking and or at least bring the rest of the field closer IMO.

- Bring back in season testing for teams perhaps some of the teams receiving royalties based on historical status should get less and more of that chunk of the pie given to some of the smaller teams which would allow all to test and develop. The more you test, the more teams can develop their cars throughout the season. There really is no innovation.

- Bring back a tyre war (Rubber is one of the most important components on any car) the FIA should stop dictating compounds for any one race and allow teams the freedom to select their own compounds for every race on the calendar.

- Allow aerodynamicists more freedom(s) to design. Formula 1 used to be the pinnacle of design and not always on the engine development but moreso aero packages, more underskirts, sidepods. Maybe downforce-generating underbodies? Throughout the history of Formula 1 the genius designers and arguably the best engineers money can buy, have found ways around the FIA regulations to gain an advantage. Cars these days can't get a slip stream like the days of old as most modern aero packages create a wake behind them, cars lose around 40% of their down force as a result and now must rely on DRS so it's like a video game boost button.

- Get rid of some of the Hermann Tilke tracks and allow other people to tender for future track design.

I think a lot of the tracks today are really boring and don't really allow much room for overtaking. The circuits Tilke designs have these massive run-off's comparative to the old days which had much narrower areas. Larger and wider run-off's don't really penalise the driver making mistakes in judgement and thus the driver behind benefits and overtakes the guy running into the gravel. He butchered Hockenheim. The only real track I actually love is The Circuit of The Americas.

• Like 1

F1 gets tracks limit clampdown and noisier cars

image8.img.640.medium.jpg

The FIA has confirmed that there is to be a track limits clampdown as part of a raft of tweaks made to the Formula 1 regulations.

Following a meeting of the FIA's World Motor Sport Council in Paris on Wednesday, it was announced that the governing body is to respond to growing concerns about drivers gaining advantage by running off track. (Refer to my comment on Hermann Tilke track run-off's)
The issue became a big talking point in F1 at the Belgian Grand Prix, when there was widespread abuse of track limits at Raidillon, and drivers picking up debris damage was cited as a cause of tyre problems.
In a statement issued after the WMSC hearing, the FIA said: "Sporting Regulations regarding track limits have been clarified and specify that drivers 'must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason'. (Vettel IMO is the worst offender)
1398576679616109606.png
"Penalties will still be allocated based on whether a driver is judged to have gained an advantage."
Noisier cars confirmed
The WMSC also ratified a technical rule change that should ensure next year's F1 cars are louder.
As Motorsport.com exclusively revealed after the Monaco Grand Prix, F1 teams will have to change exhaust designs next year.
The statement said: "For 2016, all cars must have a separate exhaust wastegate tailpipe through which all and only wastegate exhaust gases must pass.
"This measure has been undertaken to increase the noise of the cars and will not have any significant effect on power or emissions."
Rule tweaks
There were several other minor rule tweaks announced including:
* The WMSC approved the proposal of the F1 Commission regarding regulations for power unit and gearbox changes. Such penalties prior to qualifying will be applied based on the time of use. For changes made after qualifying, preference will be given to the driver whose team first informed the technical delegate that a change will occur.
* Any driver who causes a start to be aborted, even if he is then able to start the extra formation lap, will be required to start the race from the pit lane. The same process will be applied to a re-start from a race suspension where drivers have been brought to the pit lane.
* The WMSC confirmed a number of clarifications were made to aerodynamic testing restrictions for wind tunnel use and CFD, specifically focusing on reporting and inspection processes for these development tools.
* For 2017, on board cameras on stalks on the nose of cars will be prohibited.

Verstappen: Passing Alonso the highlight at Suzuka

490232086.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

Toro Rosso driver Max Verstappen says overtaking Fernando Alonso was the highlight of his Japanese Grand Prix.
Verstappen put in another charging race in Japan, climbing up to ninth after starting 17th following a three-place grid penalty.
Along the way he made a few trademark passing moves, including one on McLaren driver Alonso.
"I quite enjoyed it with Fernando," said Verstappen. "He's a world champion and you could see he was preparing himself very well all the time out of the last corner, so it was very difficult for me to get past.
"Once he missed a bit the chicane so I had a good exit, but still you have to pull off the move in Turn 1.
Verstappen admitted he had enjoyed the Suzuka race.
"It's very challenging, because the track is very narrow, and then if you overtake someone it's even more special.
"It was a lot of fun, but also a little but frustrating in the beginning. I got stuck behind Nasr. I saw the cars in front of me pulling away, while I knew the car was really good on the straights it was very difficult to get past.
"After the first pit stop we got past the Sauber, then we got stuck behind Kvyat and Fernando. I kept pushing and I got Fernando, and from there on I think it was quite a good race."

Dennis says he shares Alonso's frustrations

Fernando-Alonso-009.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=

McLaren chairman Ron Dennis says he shares Fernando Alonso's frustration at the team's lack of pace right now, but says it is a price that must be paid if it is going to win in Formula 1 again.
Alonso spoke out on the team radio during the Japanese Grand Prix to say that the performance of his Honda engine was 'embarrassing' and comparable to GP2.
Although the manner of his remarks, which were broadcast to millions of fans around the world, did not impress Dennis, the team chief says he does understand why Alonso feels the way he does.
"That is just frustration," said Dennis.
"Anything that is coming out of our drivers at the moment has its origins in frustration and disappointment and demotivation.
"We are all demotivated."
f1-japanese-gp-2015-takahiro-hachigo-honf1-japanese-gp-2015-fernando-alonso-mcla
Works shot essential
Honda has had a difficult time getting on top of reliability and performance this year, and knows that it needs to make architectural changes to the power unit if it is going to make a good step forward in 2016.
Dennis said that McLaren was always aware that teaming up with Honda could produce early frustrations, but says having a manufacturer alliance is the only way that success can be achieved in F1.
"I still cannot understand why everyone doesn't appreciate the simple fact that you are not going to win the world championship if you have a second string engine," he explained.
"It is just not going to happen. And therefore we have to go through the pain, go through this learning curve and get a competitive engine.
"That is not a derogatory comment against Honda. Honda had the president of company, the president of R&D, the president of Honda Motor Company, all of these people [at the Japanese GP] and they were totally committed.
"They understand what has to be done and of course they are resourcing and increasing resources and putting more money and effort in to it, and we will get there.
"It is just a bit painful at the moment. But we will get there."

Romain Grosjean joins Haas F1 Team press conference

Haas F1 Team announces Romain Grosjean as driver for the team's debut in the 2016 FIA Formula 1 World Championship. The press conference took place at the team's headquarters in Kannapolis, North Carolina.

• Like 1

Honda pushing to make ‘big step’ for 2016

PA1799731.0036.jpg

Yasuhisa Arai says Honda is already turning its attentions to next year's power unit in an effort to start the 2016 season on a stronger footing, says he hopes to see the 'big step' it needs to be more competitive.
Honda's troubled return to F1 as an engine supplier to McLaren endured one of its more telling weekends on home soil in Japan, as the power differential between the MP4-30 and its rivals was made plainly clear around the Honda-owned circuit in the race.
With five races of the season remaining, Honda will start preparing for 2016, where Arai is hoping for a significant step forward similar to that enjoyed by Ferrari this year.
“Already we know that we are behind and we have already started to prepare next season's engine, including some layout change which I can confirm is on schedule. I hope we can make a big step.”
It is a strategy that Fernando Alonso believes will be more beneficial in the long run, even though he still feels there is still much to learn over the final races.
“It's going to be difficult to see big progress – the limitations we have now are quite clear and it will require a lot of time,” he said. “The winter will be the time to make the most progress but we're still using these remaining races for some set-up direction for next year, as well as some aerodynamic improvements that may come to some races, and some power unit.
“We are down on laps, we are down on mileage on the whole package and every lap we do we are learning something. I am sure that, in the remaining races, some interesting information will come.”

Silverstone given payment leeway to keep F1 British Grand Prix

1443602698.jpg

Bernie Ecclestone has allowed Silverstone to place its payment for this season's British Grand Prix on hold until 2016, as the circuit battles to remain on the Formula 1 calendar.
Silverstone has been forced to defer the hosting-fee payment, understood to be around £16million at present, due to a lack of funds.
Ecclestone is of the belief the Northamptonshire circuit's bankers have now agreed to a line of credit that will at least allow next year's race to go ahead.
Beyond that, however, is another matter as a break clause in a deal that runs until 2026 is available should Silverstone continue to struggle to pay for the race.
Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Ecclestone said: "They will be paying us for this year's race next year. We've agreed on a kind of an instalment plan.
"We're doing all we can do. They got exactly the contract they wanted, and asked for, which is a lot more beneficial than others have."
Silverstone has run into difficulties as it no longer receives rental income on 280 acres of land surrounding the circuit.
To pay off debts it owed for the building of the £27million Silverstone 'Wing' complex, it drew up a long-term lease agreement with property company MEPC for a one-off payment of £32million two years ago.
Revenues have become further stretched as F1's annual hosting fee has risen season by season in the 17-year contract agreed with Ecclestone in 2009, due to a five per cent escalator clause.
Ecclestone feels it is high time the British government stepped in to help, given what Silverstone has done for the local economy in the area.
"They are looking for a little bit of support from government sources," revealed Ecclestone.
"It's something they should get because Silverstone does a lot for England and quite a bit for the area. They should get support as lots of countries do."
And not for the first time, Ecclestone has pointed an accusing finger at the BRDC - that today hosts its annual AGM - as the root cause for the problems that linger today.
"This all really started with the BRDC," said Ecclestone.
"I negotiated them out of a contract a long time ago, and got them quite a lot of money they were going to spend building all that pit complex. That was the idea.
"But they spent it on building a new BRDC clubhouse and a massive car park for the members. I can't believe they spent £20million!
"The people running it now are stuck with the things the BRDC agreed upon, and that's how it is."

WOLFF: FERRARI IS MARCHING FORWARDS IN LEAPS AND BOUNDS

Toto-Wolff-Mercedes-Barcelona-Test-2015-

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has revealed that he is taking Ferrari seriously as the Italian team continues its resurgence in 2015.
While Sebastian Vettel won dominantly in Singapore, Mercedes successfully ended its brief slump last weekend at Suzuka with a one-two.
Still, German Vettel is not giving up the fight for the championship, even though he trails Lewis Hamilton’s lead by 59 points with just five races to go.
“What kind of racing driver would I be if I stopped believing?” the Ferrari driver said.
According to Speed Week, Vettel’s continuing belief could get a boost in Austin later this month, when Ferrari trades in its final four upgrade ‘tokens’ for one last engine performance upgrade. It is enough to make Mercedes’ Wolff very wary.
arrivabene-hablando-con-toto-wolff-efe-7
“Ferrari is marching forwards in leaps and bounds,” he told Sport Bild. “The speed with which they have done that is impressive, and we can expect another great leap in 2016.”
The Austrian agreed with Vettel’s view that Mercedes is still obviously superior, but “Whatever happens in the future, it is clear that what took place in 2014 will not be repeated”.
He is referring to last season, when Mercedes was not seriously rivalled by any other team. In 2015, however, there is the ever-improving Ferrari, ably led from the cockpit by Vettel.
“He (Vettel) has certainly had an influence,” Wolff admitted, “by motivating the troops but also because he has a great technical understanding and knows how to win races.”

MCLAREN-HONDA CONFIRM BUTTON FOR 2016

X0W1131.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Official statement: McLaren-Honda is happy to confirm that Jenson Button will race for the team in 2016.
Ron Dennis (Chairman & Chief Executive Officer) said: “Jenson and I have been discussing his plans in private for the past few weeks, and the fact that our talks have led to today’s announcement is very pleasing to both of us and will delight and motivate all at McLaren-Honda.
“As I have made clear whenever I have been asked about the subject, Jenson’;s current contract is of two years’; duration [2015 and 2016]. There is a ‘terminate after year one’ option that McLaren could have triggered if we had wished to do so, but, once it became clear from my many conversations with Jenson that he remained as enthusiastic and as committed and as focused as ever, that option immediately became an irrelevance.”
“That being the case, Jenson will race for McLaren-Honda next year, under the terms and conditions as set out in the two-year contract that both parties entered into a year ago.
“As I say, I am extremely pleased. Jenson is the most experienced driver currently racing in Formula 1, and next season he is due to become only the third driver [after Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher] in Formula 1 history to pass the milestone of 300 Grands Prix.”
“But, although that wealth of experience makes him a massively valuable asset to our team, hugely expert in all aspects of the 21st-century Formula 1 driver’s craft, he is also supremely fit and as super-fast as ever.”
Jenson-Button-Grand-Prix-of-Brazil-L_ILR
Jenson Button said: “Over the past month or so I have done quite a lot of thinking, and it is no secret that I was at one point in two minds about my future. But I have been a McLaren driver for six seasons now [2010-2015], and in that time I have got to know Ron very well.”
“He and I have had some very good chats these past few weeks, and during those chats it has become clear to me that Ron is both utterly determined and uniquely equipped to lead our team through its current difficulties to great successes in the future.
“That gives me great confidence, and it is for that reason that, together, he and I have decided to continue our partnership; and, as soon as I had made that decision, straight away I realised it was the correct one.”
“Okay, granted, this year has not been an easy one for us, but we know what we need to do to improve things and, in collaboration with Honda, we will work extremely hard over the next weeks and months in order to make sure that 2016 will be a much better season than 2015 has been. I can’t wait!”

NO PAY CUT FOR BUTTON WHO WILL BANK $18 MILLION FROM MCLAREN

Jenson-and-Ron-1.jpg?resize=750%2C501

Hot on the heels that Jenson Button will next year remain with McLaren comes the news that he will earn the full $18 million promised to him in his existing contract.
The pay dispute between the 2009 F1 world champion – who was contractually guaranteed a $6 million pay-rise ahead of the second year of the deal – and team supremo Ron Dennis was reportedly central to Button’s recent deliberations over his future.
And, with McLaren set to take a financial hit with the potential loss of sponsors and significant official prize income, Dennis did not even hide that he tried to re-negotiate Button’s deal.
“I’m a businessman and I did explore that between him and I,” said the 68-year-old. “But that’s my job.”
Separately, Dennis told the British broadcaster Sky that despite the team’s 2015 struggle on track, McLaren will cope financially in 2016, especially after agreeing the new sponsor deal with Chandon and having other potential backers “in the pipeline”.
“We are in a pretty unique position,” he said. “Most people are paying significant sums for engines, it is the way you construct your budget that is important and we have more than enough to be competitive.”

MANOR CONFIRMS MERCEDES POWER FROM 2016

Will-Stevens-F1-Grand-Prix-Italy-Practic

Following the conclusion of a multi-year supply agreement, Manor Marussia F1 Team will race with Mercedes-Benz Hybrid power from the 2016 season onwards. Since the introduction of the new Power Unit generation in 2014, the Mercedes-Benz Hybrid has set the competitive benchmark in the sport, claiming to date a total of 27 wins and 2,208 world championship points.
Under the terms of the agreement, Manor Marussia F1 Team will be supplied with Mercedes-Benz Power Units by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains (HPP) based in Brixworth, UK. The Power Unit will use Fluid Technology Solutions developed by Petronas, the technology partner of Mercedes-Benz. Under the agreement, Manor Marussia F1 Team will be supplied with current-year Power Units throughout the term.
John Booth, Team Principal, Manor Marussia F1 Team: “I am delighted to announce our new Power Unit partnership with Mercedes-Benz for the 2016 season and beyond. Although there were many factors governing our selection of an engine partner to help power us towards our long-term ambitions, ultimately the strength of the Mercedes-Benz package speaks for itself.
“2015 has been a rebuilding year in every aspect of our operation. Although we have not been able to make the incremental strides in competitiveness that the team has enjoyed in previous seasons, we have put in place a strong foundation from which to progress. Together with the potential we are seeing with our 2016 car in the wind tunnel, the Mercedes-Benz Power Unit will assist our return to aggressive performance development with effect from next season.
Mercedes-power-unit-F1-engine-750x500.jp
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Scuderia Ferrari for their support for our team over the past two seasons. In 2014, together we shared in the momentous occasion of the team’s first points and in 2015 Ferrari supported us to a degree that was above and beyond the requirements of our partnership agreement. Quite simply, we could not have returned to the grid without them pushing extremely hard to support the MR03B, at the same time as focusing on their own 2015 package.
“I am also pleased to announce that we will resume our prior technical partnership with Williams Advanced Engineering, from whom we will receive the supply of transmission and suspension components. Combined with Mercedes-Benz Power Units, we are very excited about the strength of our new powertrain package and what it means for the long-term future of our team.”
Andy Cowell, Managing Director of Mercedes AMG HPP: “It is a great pleasure to welcome the Manor Marussia F1 Team to our stable of customers at Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains. They are a team of real racers with great spirit and impressive determination to succeed. We enjoy strong relationships with all our customer teams, and take pride in delivering a standard of hardware and service that reflects the high standards that Mercedes-Benz stands for.”
“Furthermore, this new agreement should enable us to keep our supply roster at three customer teams for 2016, which is our ideal level in terms of technical and logistical capacity. We will be targeting gains in both performance and reliability for the 2016 Power Unit and look forward to delivering those to our new customers at Manor Marussia F1 Team.”
Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport: “Mercedes-Benz has a clear Formula One philosophy based around our works Silver Arrows team and supplying benchmark Power Units to independent customer teams. We believe this approach provides Formula One with greater strength in depth and ensures a deeper level of competitiveness throughout the field.”
“In anticipation of Renault’s takeover of the Lotus F1 Team, we are pleased to announce Manor Marussia as a new customer of Mercedes-Benz. It is a tenacious team with a fantastic competitive spirit, and we are all excited to see what step forward they can make next year with their new car coupled with the Mercedes-Benz Hybrid Power Unit.”

ONLY FOUR SEATS REMAIN ON 2016 FORMULA 1 GRID

2015-2016-f1-drivers.jpg?resize=750%2C49

With Jenson Button confirmed for 2016 by McLaren, only four seats remain available on the Formula 1 grid for next season.
With the advent of Mercedes power for Manor, announced today, the backmarker team – which could well take a big leap up the pecking order next year – now has two highly desirable seats available.
However smart money has it that the team now is the unofficial Mercedes junior team, and as a result their highly rated DTM star Pascal Wehrlein is most likely to fill one of the two available seats.
Romain Grosjean’s departure to Haas F1 Team means that a highly coveted seat is now up for grabs at Lotus, which by the end of the year is set to morph into a Renault works operation.
With Pastor Maldonado confirmed at Enstone for at least another season, it would be no surprise if a Frenchman will be sought to fill the second cockpit and Jean Eric-Vergne would be a logical candidate.
The all new Haas outfit, being dubbed the Ferrari B-team, has a seat to fill beside Grosjean. With an American driver not on their action plan, Esteban Gutierrez is apparently being considered, but it appears the team has options beyond the well funded Mexican and are thus holding out on confirming their second driver.
F1-Grand-Prix-of-Singapore-drivers.jpg?r
An interesting scenario that may emerge is the highly unlikely scenario that Red Bull pull the plug on their F1 projects at the end of this season by withdrawing both their teams and focusing on other projects with the existing resources.
This would leave four highly rated drivers – Daniel Ricciardo, Daniil Kvyat, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz – without jobs, while the spectre of the F1 grid depleted by four cars would be a major blow to the sport and could well trigger the third car option for teams wanting and capable of adding an extra car to their arsenal.
Interesting times lie ahead in the not too distant future, meanwhile the provisional 2016 Formula 1 World Championship entry list is:
Mercedes
Lewis Hamilton
Nico Rosberg
Ferrari
Sebastian Vettel
Kimi Raikkonen
Williams
Felipe Massa
Valtteri Bottas
Red Bull
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniil Kvyat
(Both Under Contract To Red Bull)
Force India
Nico Hulkenberg
Sergio Perez
Lotus
Pastor Maldonado
Second Driver To Be Confirmed
Toro Rosso
Carlos Sainz
Max Verstappen
(Both Under Contract To Red Bull)
Sauber
Marcus Ericsson
Felipe Nasr
McLaren
Fernando Alonso
Jenson Button
Manor Marussia
Both Drivers To Be Confirmed
Haas F1
Romain Grosjean
Second Driver To Be Confirmed

HAAS CAUGHT OFF-GUARD BY EARLY 2016 SEASON START

Gene-Haas-Formula-One-Press-Conference-B

Bernie Ecclestone’s re-jigged calendar for the 2016 Formula 1 world championship season is ruffling a few feathers this week.
At the World Motor Sport Council in Paris, the F1 supremo’s amended 21-race calendar – with the Melbourne opener now two weeks earlier than planned – was rubber-stamped on Wednesday.
It means the winter testing season now also needs to be put in reverse, with Barcelona to host the first action towards the end of February rather than in March.
Mercedes’ Paddy Lowe had admitted that the original March schedule had altered teams’ preparation plans for 2016, “Slightly different because we have an extra month – apparently – next March.”
Lowe said “apparently”, because in the last couple of weeks it was clear that moves were afoot to reinstate a long summer break.
But the late change of plans may have caught Haas, the new team for 2016, off-guard.
“Everything was designed for the start of testing on 1 March,” team boss Gunther Steiner told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. “Now we have to somehow gain time and rewrite our production plans.”
Meanwhile, the Straits Times newspaper reports that Singapore is not happy that nearby Malaysia’s race has been moved from the start of the season to October.
“We provided feedback to Formula One Management (FOM) that we are not in favour of back-to-back sequencing of our race,” organiser Singapore GP declared.

SAINZ HOPES RED BULL ENGINE CRISIS OVER SOON

Carlos-Sainz-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Previe

Rookie Carlos Sainz has admitted to some nervousness about Red Bull’s F1 crisis.
The energy drink company has threatened to pull both of its teams out of the sport because, as things stand, it cannot find a competitive alternative to its underpowered Renault engines.
That is despite the fact that Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso are actually committed contractually to F1 through 2020.
“Well, as Bernie Ecclestone would say, circumstances change,” team boss Christian Horner insists, “and circumstances now are very different.”
Red Bull’s quit threat – although it has been heard before – is being taken more seriously this time, as the two teams are genuinely without engine deals less than five months before pre-season testing for 2016 is due to begin.
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport reports that, if the two teams do go, it is now too late for rival teams to roll out a ‘third car’ scenario in time for the 2016 season opener.
And at the same time, the talented quartet of Daniel Ricciardo, Daniil Kvyat, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz are nervously waiting to know if they will have a cockpit to sit in.
“I’m calm,” Spaniard Sainz told Marca sports newspaper this week, “as the team is happy with me.”
Like his Red Bull colleagues, the 21-year-old said he is sure a solution will eventually be found. “In any case, it would be good to know soon so that the team can design the back of the car,” said Sainz.
“Every day that passes is one less day of development.”
He admitted that the most likely option is a Ferrari deal, which would mean more power for Toro Rosso compared to its current Renault engine.
“I imagine yes,” said Sainz, “and we could have a good car next year as well. If we continue with how we have gone this year, with perhaps a little better engine we could give a real surprise.”