FORMULA 1 - 2015

Rob Smedley sure Williams F1 team can outdevelop any rivals

1427024648.jpg

Williams is confident it can outdevelop any of its Formula 1 rivals and maintain a consistent challenge throughout the 2015 season, despite falling behind Ferrari in the Australian Grand Prix.
The Grove-based team was the second best outfit on merit in 2014 behind champion Mercedes and arguably had the strongest rate of development through the season.
But in Melbourne Williams appeared to have been overtaken by Ferrari on performance, as Sebastian Vettel beat Felipe Massa to third place in Australia.
Performance chief Rob Smedley said this would not set the tone for the season as he is adamant Williams has more potential to gain ground than the rest of the pack.
"What I see is a huge change in mentality at Williams over the space of 12 months," he said. "It now believes it can outdevelop any other team.
"The windtunnel is doing a fantastic job with the amount of performance they are bringing to the car and the guys in mechanical design have done an immense job.
"Once again we have a safe, reliable and well-balanced car and we have to keep pushing on.
"We will get there, I have no doubt we can outdevelop other people."
Smedley believes Melbourne will prove to be anomalous and expects a stronger performance next time out at the Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang.
"You have to go through the first few events where you have high downforce and power sensitive circuits to get a clearer picture," said Smedley.
"I think it's a reasonable start for us. We know the strengths of our car and Melbourne doesn't play to them.
"It will definitely be more suited to the track in Malaysia."

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

F1 Malaysian Grand Prix: Ricciardo ‘optimistic’ despite inauspicious start

PA1652165.0036.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo says he remains 'optimistic' heading into the Malaysian Grand Prix despite a disappointing start to the 2015 Formula 1 season on home soil.
The Australian finished sixth and a lap down on the leaders in the Red Bull RB11, Ricciardo complaining of driveability issues from a Renault power unit that also came into substantial criticism from Christian Horner after the race.
Nonetheless, Ricciarrdo says he is focused on bringing the RB11 up to speed, beginning with the Malaysian Grand Prix in Sepang.
“I'm feeling good coming into Malaysia, I know we have a lot of things to improve on and I'm optimistic that we can achieve some of those in Malaysia, which will give us some more performance. I'm just hanging out waiting to drive now, but it's good.
“The season has started now and I think if anyone had any first race jitters they're gone and I think Malaysia should run a lot smoother for everyone.”

BOTTAS: I ARRIVE IN MALAYSIA FIT TO RACE

Valtteri-Bottas-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix

Valtteri Bottas appears to be fit to race in Malaysia after ten days of rehabilitation and training to cure a very small tear in the annular part of a disc in his lower back – an injury which was aggravated during qualifying in Melbourne.
Speaking ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend, Bottas said, “After such a frustrating Sunday in Australia, I have taken the necessary measures to make sure I arrive in Malaysia fit to race and ready to bring the results home.”
“After Melbourne I have stayed in Asia to acclimatise to the hot conditions and adjust to the right time zone. I trained a lot over the winter to prepare for these physically difficult conditions.”
He added on Twitter: “Progress is being made and every day is a good step forward. Can’t wait for Malaysia!”
Collages.jpg
And the very latest news is from his manager Coton, who posted to social media a photo of Bottas doing weight work in the gym.
The driver is “impatient to go to Malaysia”, Coton said, adding that Bottas “continues his hard work, even on Sunday! All good so far!”
Mika Hakkinen, who is also a member of Bottas’ management team, suggested that the driver’s seat may have contributed to the injury.
“In my own career,” he told the Ilta-Sanomat newspaper, “I had a lot of seats made and each was slightly different to the other. It is not easy to find a completely perfect seat.”
If Bottas does not race in Malaysia, it is speculated he will be replaced by Pascal Wehrlein, who is the reserve driver for Williams’ engine supplier Mercedes.

MALDONADO: OUR CAR SHOULD BE A GOOD ALL-ROUNDER

jm1513ma537.jpg

Despite an exceptionally short Australian Grand Prix, Pastor Maldonado is buoyed by the potential of the Lotus E23 Hybrid and reckons Sepang should suit the squad.
What are your thoughts looking to Sepang?
Pastor Maldonado: Sepang is a good track and I really like the challenges it presents. It’s very interesting from an engineering point of view, especially the aerodynamics, but also the tyres because the asphalt is very aggressive. Hopefully the race will be much longer for us than it was in Australia!
The weather can be quite interesting at Sepang…
PM: We know the weather at Sepang can change a lot; in fact it is usually either extreme heat or extreme rain, so very tropical and we’ll need to be ready for everything. Also the high temperatures are hard on the cars in terms of reliability. From the driving point of view it is quite stressful as well. All round, I would say Sepang is one of the toughest races of the year. We’ll need to be strong in all areas.
jm1514ma338.jpg
On reflection, what are your thoughts on the Australian Grand Prix?
PM: From our perspective it was a very short race! It was really frustrating as the car looked good all weekend – better even than it had looked in testing – and we had good potential with our race pace and durability. Then my race was undone in the first corners. There was nothing I could do as there was contact occurring behind me which then collected my car. It was difficult to look at the damage done to the car as I knew how hard all the crew in the pits and the rest of the team at Enstone had been working. That’s motor racing sometimes, unfortunately. I didn’t see much of the rest of the race but I was told it wasn’t the most exciting. Hopefully we’ll be in action for all of the Malaysian Grand Prix to ensure it’s better to watch, and better for our results!
What could have been possible in the race?
PM: Everything looked very positive for a strong top ten finish, maybe even top five. Our car was strong and we adapted to the track well. The weather was in our favour and we had great potential.
Do you think Malaysia could offer similarly strong opportunities?
PM: It’s still very early in the season so there will still be surprises as teams learn their cars and unlock their potential. Certainly, everything we’ve seen so far with the E23 suggests that it should be a good all-rounder. Sepang can get very hot, and our car seems to like hot conditions so that could be a point in our favour.
How difficult is a mixed weather Grand Prix?
PM: We know that we sometimes see heavy rain in Sepang, so it won’t be a surprise if we do see mixed conditions this year. Certainly, it can give the engineers a challenge in terms of setting up the car if there’s a wet session, or if there’s rain between the sessions as it can change the track conditions. It’s the same for everyone, of course, and at least it’s hot and wet which is far better than cold and wet!
Do you do any particular training for the humidity?
PM: It is very humid in Malaysia, so you do have to ensure you have a good fluid intake, but in terms of training it’s a very similar programme to that you follow all year. I work closely with my trainer, Fabrizio, to ensure good all-round fitness, but in particular that I’m as fit as possible to drive an F1 car which is the primary focus. I come from Venezuela so I’m used to hot weather.

KVYAT: MY FIRST SINGLE SEATER VICTORY WAS IN SEPANG

Daniil-Kvyat-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-Pr

Red Bull’s new recruit Daniil Kvyat admits that he and his team endured a challenging Australian Grand Prix weekend, and the Russian was keen to forget about his non-start in Melbourne and focus on Round 2 of the F1 world championship in Malaysia.
Speaking ahead of Sepang, Kvyat said, “I think the first weekend was challenging, but we learnt many things. Also for me adapting to a new team was crucial. Of course, the race wasn’t as I would’ve liked but it happened this way and now I’m just looking forward to the challenges ahead.”
“It’s good Malaysia is so soon. After Australia, I wanted to leave the weekend behind me as soon as possible and start focusing on Malaysia. We have good potential which we will be looking to use and hope to extract.”
P90067145.jpg
Last year Kvyat tackled the challenges of racing in Malaysia as a rookie with Toro Rosso, and revealed, “I won my first single-seater race ever there about five years ago I think, and last year, another points scoring race for me, my second race and second points so it was very good, good memories.”
“It’s an interesting challenging track, there are some high speed sections, and those high speed sections are the most interesting ones. For me, Malaysia means a lot. It’s a tough race and challenging race for a driver because it’s known for being so hot.”
“This is why we train quite hard and get our arses kicked during the winter season by our trainers! Sepang is one of those races where you see where you are in terms of your physical preparation,” added Kvyat who will be starting his 20th grand prix on Sunday.

VERSTAPPEN: IT IS UP TO ME TO SHOW MY DETRACTORS THEY ARE WRONG

Max-Verstappen-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-

Formula 1 is simply adjusting to the new global trend in which professional athletes are becoming increasingly younger, observed Max Verstappen, who in Melbourne shattered the old record to become the youngest race driver in the history of the sport.
The old record was held by Jaime Alguersuari, who was 19 when he made his debut in 2009. Seven other 19-year-olds have also raced in F1, including Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. Dutchman Verstappen, however, only turned 17 last September.
His debut has therefore been highly controversial, moving the FIA to impose a minimum age of 18 for F1 drivers in 2016 and beyond.
“Everyone can have their own opinion,” Verstappen, whose 43-year-old father Jos also raced in F1, told Auto Bild. “In the end it is up to me to show that they are wrong.
Max-Verstappen-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-
“But I would say that there is a global trend of more and more young people entering high-performance sports. Real Madrid, for example, has signed a 16-year-old Norwegian,” said Verstappen.
In Melbourne, Verstappen was outqualified by his 20-year-old teammate Carlos Sainz before retiring in the race.
He said he is not worried he might now echo the rookie season of his father Jos, who in 1994 debuted as a 22-year-old alongside Michael Schumacher at Benetton.
“My debut is under completely different circumstances,” Max insisted. “His teammate in 1994 was none other than Michael Schumacher, who we all know now is the most successful Formula 1 driver of all time.
“Actually, he had no chance under those circumstances to distinguish himself. For me it’s different. Toro Rosso and Red Bull are used to working with young drivers and developing them. So I am in good hands,” said Verstappen.

PIRELLI PREVIEW THE MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX

02-Malaysian-Preview-1k-EN.jpg

The Malaysian Grand Prix: an abrasive surface with high heat and humidity makes this race a true test for drivers, cars and tyres. Nearly every afternoon there is an intense downpour, making it likely to see the Cinturato tyres in competitive action for the first time this year.

Paul Hembery, Pirelli motorsport director: “The Australian Grand Prix two weeks ago confirmed what we saw in testing: lap times that are two seconds or more faster this year compared to last year, in every session. This exponentially increases the workload on the tyres: something that will be particularly in evidence at Sepang, which has some of the most abrasive asphalt we race on all year and a number of fast corners that take a lot of energy out of the tyres, as well as high ambient temperatures. For all these reasons, we have chosen the two hardest tyres in our range this weekend: P Zero Orange hard and P Zero White medium, as has always been the case in Malaysia since we returned to Formula One in 2011. We should see a return to at least two stops per car in Malaysia – perhaps more if the weather gets in the way ­– after an early safety car meant that unusually most drivers stopped only once in Australia. Wear and degradation is traditionally very high in Sepang, so managing the tyres and the strategy carefully will be key to success.”

The biggest challenges for the tyres:

• Malaysia has got everything it takes to make life difficult for tyres: fast corners with big lateral loads, rough asphalt, high ambient temperatures and a bumpy surface (as the track was originally built on a swamp). As a result, both mechanical and thermal degradation are important factors. The cars tend to run high downforce in Malaysia, adding vertical forces to the varied demands faced by the tyres.
  • Because it rains almost on a daily basis in Sepang, the rubber laid down on the circuit tends to get washed away between each session. This makes the pattern of track evolution quite hard to predict, and also increases the risk of race stoppages and safety cars (the Malaysian Grand Prix has been halted early on more than one occasion). Drainage is a problem, leading to pools of standing water.
  • If it does rain during the race, judging the crossover point could make the difference between winning and losing. This is the point at which it becomes faster to switch from one type of tyre to another. With very little wet running so far this year, teams will prioritise gathering information on crossover points if it rains during free practice: data that could be crucial for the race.
  • The most stressed tyre in Malaysia is the front-left, so this is the one that the drivers will have to watch: especially at the beginning of the race when the cars are fuel-heavy and it is easy to lock up and take life out of the tyres.
  • Last year’s strategy and how the race was won: The top two finishers in Malaysia last year (Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg) used exactly the same three-stop strategy: three stints on the medium tyre followed by a short stint on the hard tyre at the end. They fought closely for the lead, with tyre strategy proving crucial to their battle, while the highest-placed two-stopper was Nico Hulkenberg in fifth. The race lasts 56 laps.
  • Expected performance gap between the two compounds: 1.0-1.2 seconds per lap.
  • Expected weather conditions for the race: Temperatures between 24 and 34 degrees centigrade and 80% humidity, with a high risk of heavy rainfall during the late afternoon.

NEW F1 FUEL-FLOW CONTROVERSY LOOMING AHEAD

fuel-flow-meter-2.jpg

A new controversy surrounding Formula 1’s fuel-flow rules appears to be looming as teams and drivers jet into Kuala Lumpur for the Malaysian grand prix.
A year has now passed since Daniel Ricciardo was disqualified from the 2014 season opener when his Red Bull-Renault was found to have breached the maximum allowed flow of fuel to his turbo V6 ‘power unit’.
Now, the fuel flow issue is set to resurface. Italian media reports claim F1’s governing body has issued a technical directive to the teams that will come into effect at the Chinese grand prix next month.
Until now, the FIA has policed the maximum allowed fuel flow rate of 100kg per hour solely with the use of a standard fuel flow meter. Now, the governing body reportedly wants to check pressure in other parts of the fuel system.
The FIA reportedly suspects that some teams and manufacturers are finding their way around the rule by increasing fuel flow in other areas, whilst ensuring it never exceeds 100kg per hour through the actual meter.
Omnicorse suggested the trick could partly explain the step forward in 2015 taken by Mercedes and Ferrari.
It is claimed upgrading their turbo systems to withstand a maximum of 500 bar for this year might have facilitated it, whilst struggling Renault is still running at just 250 bar.
Omnicorse said the new Honda power unit, significantly de-tuned in Melbourne due to reliability problems, might also be capable of a maximum of 500 bar.

FORCE INDIA PREVIEW MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX

Nico-Hulkenberg.jpg

Sahara Force India gets ready for this weekend’s Malaysian Grand Prix, Round 2 of the 2015 Formula 1 world championship, at Sepang.
Vijay Mallya reflects on Melbourne and looks ahead to this weekend’s race in Malaysia, “Starting our season in Melbourne with both cars in the points was the ideal way to open our 2015 account. Those seven points were an important reward for all the hard work of everyone in the team over the winter and give us something to build upon as we head for Malaysia.
“Despite scoring well in Melbourne, we know the VJM08 is only just beginning its development journey and that we need to add performance if we want to finish consistently in the points. There will be some small tweaks this weekend before bigger steps can be made during the European season.
“Malaysia is an interesting track for us. We had a good race there last year with Nico and it’s a track that generates good racing. The hot weather usually plays to our strengths and the risk of rain can add another dimension to the strategy. Hopefully we can capitalise on these elements to be competitive and come away with another strong result.”
Nico on Malaysia: “I am really looking forward to getting back to action in Sepang after a fairly positive start of the season. We knew the VJM08’s reliability was one of our strong points and we were able to play that card well. We didn’t make any mistakes and we had a good strategy, and that helped us capitalise on a day when others ran into trouble. We need to keep our feet on the ground, however, because we know the circumstances in which we got this result and we know the next races will be tough.
“The track in Sepang is quite challenging and is very different compared to Melbourne. The various sectors have unique characteristics: there is a nice variation of high and low-speed corners and two very long straights. You need to balance your setup between top speed and downforce to make the most of your car in each of them. The high temperatures and humidity add to the challenges of this track, and you always have a threat of rain, especially at the start of the race.
“I have spent the week after Melbourne in Indonesia, having a bit of a holiday, but also training and getting used to the climate. It’s always better to stay on the local time zone and I’m feeling in good shape for this weekend.”
Sergio on Malaysia: “Malaysia is a very special place for me. It is where I got my first podium in Formula One, in one of the best races of my career in 2012, so I will always have happy memories about this circuit. The track is really interesting and the three sectors each have their own character. The track is physical but it has some very technical parts as well. You also have some very long straights at the end of the lap that offer a lot of opportunities for overtaking.
“The weather always makes it interesting. When you are racing in Sepang it is something that is always in the back of your mind, because you know a sudden rainstorm can throw up some unexpected strategies and opportunities you can exploit. The heat and the humidity are a big challenge, but as a driver you are prepared for this. You work really hard during the pre-season and every day with your trainer to be at your best in these circumstances, so I know I am ready.
“I am looking forward to going racing again after our first run in Melbourne. We are still learning a lot about the full potential of the VJM08 and every time we hit the track we are going to find some improvements. We are aware of the work needed to make our car more competitive, but we also know it is going to take time. The car feels really promising but it needs development and I look forward to getting some upgrades soon.
“Malaysia is a very beautiful country, but I can’t say I have any favourite spots. You don’t get to see much of a place when you arrive for a race weekend, but sometimes you manage to squeeze in some nice experiences. I heard Kuala Lumpur has a lot of great dining opportunities so I hope to be able to try a few – I really like Asian food!”

FERRARI MOVING TO NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART FACTORY

maranello-ferrari-factory.jpg

Ferrari is moving house according to a report in Bild am Sonntag, claiming that the Italian team has been relocating, in the week after cementing their new form in Australia as the second force behind Mercedes.
Ousted former boss Stefano Domenicali commissioned the state-of-the-art new building on Ferrari’s Maranello grounds back in 2010, with the idea of housing the entire formula one team – both chassis and engine divisions – under one roof.
Ferrari’s existing F1 premises date all the way back to 1947. New team boss Maurizio Arrivabene confirmed that Ferrari is currently busy with the move, even though the ideal scenario would be to focus exclusively on beating Mercedes.
“It is certainly not ideal, but what can we do?” he said. “It will be three or four months before we have every engineer over there.”
Bild am Sonntag said the new factory is 25,000 square metres in size, accommodating 700 people and including a new simulator and €40 million hybrid engine test bed. The total cost of the facility is not known.
Team manager Massimo Rivola confirmed: “I have already moved my office.”
  • Like 1

The Malaysian GP timetable

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Mala

The Malaysian GP, which takes place at the Sepang circuit, marks the second round of the 2015 World Championship.

All times are local (Malaysia is GMT 8)

Thursday 26 March

15:00: FIA press conference

Friday 27 March
10:00 - 11:30: First free practice
14:00 - 15:30: Second free practice
16:00: FIA press conference

Saturday 28 March

14:00 - 15:00: Third free practice
17:00 - 18:00: Qualifying
18:00: FIA post qualifying press conference

Sunday 29 March

15:00 - 17:00: Malaysian GP
17:00: FIA post race press conference

Malaysian GP Info

No of Laps: 56
Race Distance: 310.408km
Lap Record: 1:34.223 - Juan Pablo Montoya (2004)

2014 Winner: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)

After a successful season opener, Sauber is looking forward to the Malaysian GP

Felipe_Nasr_F1Weekends.png

The second round of the FIA Formula One World Championship will take place from the 27th to 29th March on the Sepang International Circuit.

Hinwil – After a successful season opener in Melbourne, the Sauber F1 Team and its drivers Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr are looking forward to the Malaysian Grand Prix. The second round of the FIA Formula One World Championship will take place from the 27th to 29th March on the Sepang International Circuit.
Test and reserve driver Raffaele Marciello will drive in FP1 and thus have his Formula debut during a Grand Prix. The Italian will be driving the Sauber C34-Ferrari for the first time in FP1 on Friday. Regular driver Felipe Nasr will take over the car from FP2 onwards.
News on our media portal: Besides the footage we had announced last week, we offer two more clips on the Sauber F1 Team media portal. One clip shows Felipe as “Race Driver at Heart” and the second one is the “Making of Filming Day” with Marcus Ericsson.
Marcus Ericsson (car number 9): “After the great result in Melbourne, it feels good going to Malaysia. I know the track quite well from GP2 and also from last year in Formula One. For me it is quite an interesting circuit with many medium and high-speed corners, which are quite demanding for the tyres. The Malaysian Grand Prix is one of the toughest on the calendar, because of the high humidity and heat. It means you need to be in good physical shape, and I am sure I am.
I have been training very hard over the winter, and before the race in Sepang I have spent one week at a training camp in Thailand getting acclimatised to the humidity. I am sure I will be one hundred percent ready when I get to Malaysia. Another aspect which comes into play is that we often have the risk of heavy rain there, so the races are usually quite exciting. I hope we can build on the progress we have made in Melbourne, and have another good race weekend.”
Felipe Nasr (car number 12): “I am really looking forward to the Malaysian Grand Prix. It will be easier for me to approach this race weekend, as I know the track quite well from previous racing series, which was not the case in Melbourne. Looking back to our winter tests, I am confident that the layout of the track in Malaysia can suit our car. After a successful season opener in Melbourne, I think the Malaysian Grand Prix can be one of the races we can look forward to.
The track consists of some long straights and fasts corners, so I would expect a bigger tyre degradation. On the other hand, it is positive that our car seems to have a decent straight line speed, but I think some more downforce could help us to gain time in the high-speed corners. Overall, I am looking forward to my second race of the 2015 FIA Formula One World Championship.”
Raffaele Marciello (car number 36): “It will be exciting to drive the Sauber C34-Ferrari for the first time. That will also be the same for the Italians, as we have not had an Italian driver in Formula One for quite a few years. I will definitely enjoy the experience, and I am really looking forward to it. I am confident I can do a good job as well as supporting the team in order to find a set-up for the car which suits the track.
I have never been to Malaysia before, but I know the track quite well from the Ferrari simulator in Maranello, and I am sure I can get to learn it fast once I drive there. As the circuit has some fast corners, I think the car’s downforce will be crucial. Another important aspect will be the weather, as the humidity, along with the temperatures, is quite high. From a driver’s perspective it will be a challenge, but this is the same for everyone. Together with my trainer, I am getting well prepared for this weekend.“
Giampaolo Dall’Ara, Head of Track Engineering: “The Sauber C34-Ferrari has proven itself to be a competitive and reliable car in Melbourne, and now the team is looking forward to further confirmation in remarkably different conditions such as the race weekend we will encounter in Malaysia. Firstly, the circuit at Sepang is biased towards medium to high-speed corners, and it is a very technical one, offering more racing lines due to its width. Secondly, the climatic conditions are usually extreme, thus the event is demanding for drivers and cars. Thirdly, Pirelli’s compound allocation covers the stiffest side of the scale, with hard as prime and medium as option. And lastly, there is no way to accurately predict the rain, which is not uncommon in the afternoon at this time of the year.”

RENAULT: IT’S HARD TO HAVE A PARTNER [RED BULL] WHO LIES

motor_cyril.jpg

Renault’s relationship with works team Red Bull continues to crumble, as Cyril Abiteboul, chief of the French carmaker’s F1 engine programme, accused Red Bull technical boss Adrian Newey of lying.
He admits that Renault is struggling at the start of 2015, insisting: “I am not looking for excuses”.
But he said it is wrong of Newey to say the only problem with his 2015 package is the ‘power unit’ supplied by Renault.
“In addition to our problems,” Abiteboul told France’s Auto Hebdo magazine, “Red Bull has some chassis problems that do not help the situation.
502736609_MT_0204_7F2346352BB8207955C98A
“In particular, the lack of rear stability. These two problems combine to ensure the car is difficult to drive.”
When asked if it is therefore difficult to hear Newey say the only problem with the RB11 is the engine, Abiteboul admitted: “Yes. It’s hard to have a partner who lies.
“Adrian is a charming gentleman and an outstanding engineer,” he added, “but he has spent his life criticising his engine manufacturers. And he’s too old to change.”
In Australia Red Bull were up in arms with their engine partner, with Christian Horner saying, “I have no idea how they [Renault] have managed to f*ck it up so badly.”
Now, car designer Newey echoed the sentiment, “It’s frustrating that we’ve got an engine which is a long way behind with no obvious light at the end of the tunnel and all sorts of failings.”

SILVER LINING AMID THE GLOOM AT MCLAREN IS THEIR GOOD CHASSIS

Jenson-Button-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-P

A silver lining, amid a dark and gloomy start to the 2015 season, for struggling McLaren-Honda could be the cornering and general handling ability of the new MP4-30 car.
After Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen qualified dead last in Melbourne, some estimates put the team’s power deficit to pacesetters Mercedes at as much as 150-200 horse power. But the silver lining could be the chassis.
“The drivers say it is a good car,” team boss Eric Boullier is quoted by Marca, “that it gives them confidence and has no vices.”
It is believed Honda de-tuned its engine, and particularly the power unit’s ERS systems, to the tune of some 60 per cent in Melbourne, due to reliability fears.
“We had to lower performance in Australia,” Frenchman Boullier confirmed, “but there is more potential on the way.”
Jenson-Button-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-P
Indeed, it is rumoured Honda took a very aggressive approach to its V6 design, realising the gap that eventually needed to be closed to Mercedes.
Button confirmed: “It’s probably wrong for me to say… it’s probably more like a Mercedes than it is the other two manufacturers. In terms of design, aggressiveness and packaging. But it’s going to take a little bit of time.”
Also on the bright side, it emerged on Tuesday that the 2015 McLaren chassis is almost certainly a good one.
F1’s official website calculates ‘cornering ratings’ for each driver after races, by averaging the side-to-side G-forces in every corner across a grand prix.
Button’s cornering rating ranked fourth overall in Australia, behind only the two Mercedes drivers and Felipe Massa.

HELMUT MARKO: WE NEED MAX MOSLEY STYLE LEADERSHIP IN F1

Helmut-Marko-F1-Grand-Prix-Austria-Quali

As Formula 1 speeds towards its next world championship battleground, the ongoing debate about the very future of the sport will also resume in Malaysia, with Red Bull consultant Helmut Marko throwing the first punch by calling for Max Mosley style leadership.
After the Melbourne opener, Red Bull furiously slammed the current regulations and threatened to pull out if they are not changed soon.
“According to our research,” Marko told Speed Week, “the television viewing decline in 2014 was 26 per cent.
“So if that keeps happening and the regulations stay the same, then we must ask: what is the sporting and commercial value of formula one?”
The Austrian insists he is not just railing against Red Bull’s performance deficit in 2015, but the appearance that the cars are “easy to drive”.
max_mosley.jpg
“This is an argument not only we are making,” Marko insists. “Any rookie can now be immediately competitive because the cars are easy to master on the limit and also in terms of power the GP2 cars are almost the same.”
Red Bull has proposed a standard turbo and KERS package capable of 1,000 horse power. But the sport will not take a sharp turn with the rules unless Red Bull finds allies willing to vote with them.
“Do we need new Formula 1 cars?” Williams’ Pat Symonds is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.
“First, we need a set of rules that is sustainable and sufficient for teams to survive. I’m not so sure that cars with a new look or 1,000 horse power will help Formula 1 too much.”
Not surprisingly, the dominant Mercedes team agrees with its customer, with team boss Toto Wolff saying, “My personal view is that the sport itself does not need anything drastic to change.”
Jean-Todt-Bernie-Ecclestone-F1-Grand-Pri
“Nevertheless, we must remain open and participate in the discussion and see what we can do to improve formula one.”
Marko, however, is not only critical of what he describes as Mercedes’ “understandable” defiance in the face of its dominance. He also blames the FIA.
“Only when no one watches Formula 1 anymore will they [Mercedes] question the value of their victories,” said Marko.
“We need a leadership in formula one that can force decisions,” he insisted. “Just as it was under FIA president Max Mosley.”

GROSJEAN: WE WILL DELIVER STRONG POINTS FINISHES SOON

jm1513ma68.jpg

After a one-lap long Australian Grand Prix, Lotus driver Romain Grosjean is reloaded and ready for action at the challenging Sepang circuit for Round 2 of the 2014 Formula 1 world championship.
What will be the main challenges at Sepang?
Romain Grosjean: The first challenges in Malaysia will be the heat, humidity and usual rain storms at 4pm! It’s a good track with some interesting corners, fast straights and a track surface that can sometimes be difficult to understand. The heat and humidity can give the cars and drivers something to think about and the rain can give us all a challenge too. For us as a team, the target is to get some race laps on the board.
What did you learn from the Australian Grand Prix?
RG: Albert Park was quite a strong weekend in terms of getting on top of the car, finding strong pace and a good balance and demonstrating good potential, but it was a very brief in terms of race laps, or should I say a race lap?! It was unfortunate that our race was very short because of quite a simple issue, but it’s something everyone back at Enstone has been working on. I’m sure we’ll have a much better race in Sepang.
What do you do after a frustrating race like the Australian Grand Prix?
RG: It was frustrating to drive back to the pit at the end of the first lap, but despite this we’re all very positive in the team. Of course, there were a few choice expressions for a few moments afterwards, but we all have seen that this year’s car is good – it has great potential – and we know we’ll be delivering strong points finishes very soon, hopefully in Malaysia. For myself, I spoke with the team straight after returning to the pits and we were quite quickly able to work out what had happened. One frustrating race doesn’t detract from the full season ahead.
jm1514ma2141.jpg
What do you think of the level of competition seen so far in the 2015 season?
RG: It’s still early days, but it’s clear we’ve all got a lot of work to do to get to the level of the Mercedes. Behind them the pack is much closer. For us at Lotus F1 Team we know it’s the first season with a new engine supplier so we’re still learning about the potential. Certainly, the E23 has a lot more to come and it’s going to be very exciting working with everyone at Enstone to develop the car yet further.
How good a track is Sepang to race on?
RG: It’s one of my favourites. It has a great flow to it and there are good overtaking opportunities as well as good potential for an exciting race. It’s a circuit that many drivers like. It’s also an interesting track for the engineers working to get the best set-up for the car to work well. It makes for quite a hard race too, as you have the heat and humidity along with the challenge of the track itself. It’s going to be fun.
How much of a challenge are the weather conditions?
RG: We haven’t done any proper running with this car in the wet, so if we see rain during the course of a session it’s going to be a learning experience. The E23 demonstrates pretty good baseline characteristics and its driveability and balance are what you want from a car in the wet so this shouldn’t make for too many issues.
What do you think should be possible in the Malaysian Grand Prix?
RG: Our target for the early races is to be regularly in the top ten. We certainly demonstrated that in Albert Park and our race pace simulations were good so if we’d remained in the race we should have finished strongly. There’s nothing to suggest this can’t be the case in Malaysia and we really want to start scoring points.

MCLAREN PREVIEW THE MALAYSIAN GRAND PRIX

Jenson-Button-Australian-F1-Grand-Prix-J

McLaren preview the Australian Grand Prix weekend, Round 2 of the 2015 Formula 1 world championship, at Sepang.

Jenson Button: “Melbourne was certainly a challenging weekend for us, but there were positives to take from it. A lot of our performance was largely unknown coming into the weekend given the limited running we had over winter testing. Despite our finishing position, getting to the chequered flag has meant that we’re now armed with much more data about our package and we can learn a huge amount from it.”

Fernando Alonso: “I watched the weekend in Australia very closely and I was in touch with the team from the moment they arrived. It’s clear we have a lot of work ahead of us but Jenson’s result in Melbourne was encouraging from the point of view of reliability and data collection, which are extremely important.”

Circuit lowdown

• The Sepang International Circuit was the first Formula One track to be designed exclusively by Hermann Tilke. It was opened in March 1999, since when it’s been a permanent fixture on the F1 calendar as the venue for the Malaysian Grand Prix.
  • The combination of high-g corners and extreme cockpit temperatures make this one of the most demanding races of the year for the drivers. The circuit is also an interesting technical challenge for the engineers, who need to maximise the trade-off between aerodynamic grip through the track’s fast corners and straight-line speed.
  • As was the case last year, Pirelli are taking their two hardest tyre compounds to the race. Even with the medium and hard tyre compounds, teams are expecting a minimum of two pitstops during the 56-lap race.

HAKKINEN NOT IMPRESSED WITH RAIKKONEN IN MELBOURNE

Raikkonen-Melbourne-Ferrari-3-15-2015.jp

Former F1 world champion Mika Hakkinen says he was disappointed with the performance of his Finnish countryman Kimi Raikkonen in Australia.
When he retired at the end of 2001, Hakkinen recommended McLaren sign Raikkonen to replace him, telling Ron Dennis ‘If you want to win, get the Finn’.
Raikkonen won races at McLaren and the title at Ferrari in 2007, but he was pushed out of his seat at the end of 2009. After a rallying sojourn, he came back to F1 in 2012 and ultimately reclaimed his place at Ferrari.
But the 35-year-old struggled notably alongside Fernando Alonso last year, and now alongside his friend Sebastian Vettel in 2015, Raikkonen was narrowly outperformed by the German throughout the Melbourne season opener.
“I definitely expected more from Kimi” in Australia, former double world champion Hakkinen admitted to Hermes.
“I expected him to have the advantage over Vettel because he has been at Ferrari longer. But Vettel really put Kimi behind him on the first weekend of the season,” Hakkinen added.
Fascinatingly, Hakkinen is involved in the management of another Finn, the rising star Valtteri Bottas, who has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Raikkonen at the end of his 2015 contract.
But David Coulthard agrees with Hakkinen, his former long-time McLaren teammate, that Raikkonen was left trailing in Vettel’s wake in Melbourne.
“The old Sebastian is back,” Coulthard told Germany’s Sport Bild. “And he has brought a winning mentality to Ferrari.
“Just as he made Toro Rosso and Red Bull winning teams, there is now the chance he will also do that at Ferrari.”

FORMULA 1 SET FOR FIRST WET RACE OF 2015 IN SEPANG

479868441MT00145_F1_Grand_P.jpg

Formula 1 looks to be heading into its first wet race of the season, as teams and drivers touch down in Malaysia for the second round of the 2015 world championship.
The current weekend forecast for Sepang indicates a high probability of rain and afternoon storms, even though the weather is notoriously difficult to predict in Kuala Lumpur.
Easier to predict, however, is that if it does rain at Sepang, it is usually in the late afternoon and almost always very heavy. In January, Pirelli chief Paul Hembery renewed his call for specific rain-tyre testing.
“We always say that we should thoroughly test rain tyres before the start of the season at least once, preferably on a track that can be completely drenched, such as Le Castellet or Fiorano,” he is quoted by Speed Week.
Hembery said the tests would not only help Pirelli perfect its wet weather designs, but also allow the drivers to get used to the tyres. Ahead of 2015, the rain tests did not take place.
That is also despite the fact that, after Jules Bianchi’s horror crash at wet Suzuka late last year, the governing FIA urged the sport to do more rain-tyre testing.
“It is recommended that provision is made for the tyre supplier to develop and adequately test wet weather tyres between each F1 season, such that it is able to supply the latest developments to the first event,” the FIA said in its official report on Bianchi’s crash.

Hamilton targets more of the same

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Lewi

Having "picked up where he left off last year" at the season opener, Lewis Hamilton has set his sights on a repeat of his 2014 Malaysian GP display this weekend.
Hamilton won six of the final seven races in 2014 en route to securing his second Drivers' Championship and he was back in fine form at the first race of 2015 at Albert Park a fortnight ago as he claimed the hat-trick of pole position, race victory and fastest lap.
"Australia was a great way to start. To pick up where we left off last year was awesome," he said. "But if 2014 showed anything, it's that putting together a whole season is never easy.
"Winning the first race is just one small step in a long journey and I’m not reading anything into it."
Round two of the 2015 F1 season takes place at Sepang this weekend and Hamilton will be hoping for more of the same after he won the race for the first time last year.
"The next step is Malaysia and that’s all I’ve been focusing on since we left Melbourne. I can’t wait to get back out there and I can’t wait to get to Sepang," he said.
"It’s a great circuit, a home race for Petronas and a country I really enjoy going to. The people are so welcoming and the support we had there as a team last year was amazing.
"Of course, the race itself is really tough with the heat and humidity. But I feel ready for anything right now and the aim is to repeat last year’s performance. It took me eight attempts to win this race when I finally made it to the top step last year and I don’t plan on waiting that long again..."

Pirelli expects two-stoppers at Sepang

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Pire

Pirelli Motorsport Director Paul Hembery believes two-stop strategies will be the order of the day in Malaysia, but that number could rise depending on the conditions.
The 2015 season opener at Albert Park in Melbourne was a one-stop affair with only Nico Hulkenberg and Marcus Ericsson stopping more than once.
However, things will be a bit more complicated at Sepang this weekend due to the hot and humid conditions and Pirelli has taken their white-marked medium and orange-branded hard tyres to the Asian country.
"We should see a return to at least two stops per car in Malaysia - perhaps more if the weather gets in the way ­ after an early Safety Car meant that unusually most drivers stopped only once in Australia," Hembery said.
"Wear and degradation is traditionally very high in Sepang, so managing the tyres and the strategy carefully will be key to success."
He added: "The Australian Grand Prix two weeks ago confirmed what we saw in testing: lap times that are two seconds or more faster this year compared to last year, in every session.
"This exponentially increases the workload on the tyres: something that will be particularly in evidence at Sepang, which has some of the most abrasive asphalt we race on all year and a number of fast corners that take a lot of energy out of the tyres, as well as high ambient temperatures."

Manor finally set for 2015 debut

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Mano

After their false start in Australia, Manor Marussia are determined to finally get going at the second race of the season in Malaysia.
The Banbury squad received last-minute financial backing to compete in the 2015 Formula 1 season and made their way to Melbourne for the season opener at Albert Park.
However, both Will Stevens and Roberto Merhi failed to make it onto the track for practice, qualifying or the race and the team were asked to do some explaining by the race stewards.
They escaped punishment, but F1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone warned that they will have to pay their own freight bill as they had "zero" intention to race in Melbourne.
After regrouping back at their base, they will get another chance to get going this weekend.
"After the disappointment of not meeting our objectives in Australia, we head to Malaysia this week hoping for a more typical race weekend," team principal John Booth said.
"We headed back to the UK to regroup technically and bolster the work we had completed in the field in Melbourne, and as a result we are in a different position to the one we were in two weeks ago.
"Again, the rate at which we are progressing, when one takes into account our circumstances pre-season, is very impressive and everyone in the team is to be commended on a huge continued effort.
"Sepang always throws up its own unique challenges, thanks to the combination of fierce heat and a well-timed downpour, but we look forward to debuting the car and our two young drivers and to finally start getting down to business on the racetrack."

China's ChemChina to buy Pirelli for £5.1bn

pirelli-yellow-soft-red-super-tyres.jpg

Formula 1's official tyre supplier, Pirelli, is set to change hands next month following news that China's state-owned China National Chemicals (ChemChina) has launched a takeover bid.
The Italian company has been F1's sole supplier since 2011 and has a contract through to 2016, when a new tender will be released.
The deal will see ChemChina's own tyre division, China National Tire & Rubber, take ownership of a 26.2 per cent stake currently controlled by the family of chairman Marco Tronchetti, before launching a bid to acquire the remaining shares.
The takeover values the company at £5.1 billion ($7.7bn, €7bn).
ChemChina will appoint a new chairman whilst Tronchetti, who began working at the company in 1986 after marrying a member of the Italian family that founded Pirelli, will remain in his role of chief exectuive.
It's unclear what affect the sale might have on Pirelli's involvement in the sport and whether a change in chairman and future objectives could see it pulling out of any future tenders.

Force India expect to make big steps forward in Europe

jm1515ma532.jpg

Force India doesn't expect to make major strides forward until Formula 1 returns to Europe later in the season, according to team principal Vijay Mallya.
The Silverstone outfit was forced to delay its VJM08 until the final pre-season test due to financial troubles. Whilst it has run without major issue since, completing over 300 laps in Barcelona and taking sixth and tenth in Australia, the team know there's much work to be done.
"Despite scoring well in Melbourne, we know the VJM08 is only just beginning its development journey and that we need to add performance if we want to finish consistently in the points," Mallya said.
"There will be some small tweaks this weekend before bigger steps can be made during the European season."
Looking to Malaysia, Mallya is hopeful of another double points finish: "Malaysia is an interesting track for us. We had a good race there last year with Nico [Hulkenberg] and it's a track that generates good racing.
"The hot weather usually plays to our strengths and the risk of rain can add another dimension to the strategy. Hopefully we can capitalise on these elements to be competitive and come away with another strong result."
Meanwhile Hulkenberg says he's not getting carried away with his strong finish in Melbourne and knows the team must push forward to ensure it isn't just a one-off.
"We knew the VJM08's reliability was one of our strong points and we were able to play that card well," he added. "We didn't make any mistakes and we had a good strategy, and that helped us capitalise on a day when others ran into trouble.
"We need to keep our feet on the ground, however, because we know the circumstances in which we got this result and we know the next races will be tough."

Sepang wants a 'win-win' new Formula 1 deal

XPB_648526_HiRes.jpg

As the F1 circus touches down in Malaysia for the seventeenth time, there still no new contract for the venue.

Early this year, Malaysian race officials travelled to London to discuss their expiring contract with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
Now, on the eve of the 2015 edition, a deal for next year and beyond still has not been struck.
"We are still in discussion with Formula One Management and studying the latest terms of agreement," said Sepang chairman Mokhzani Mahathir.
"We want a win-win situation," he is quoted by Bernama news agency. "There are several issues which I'm still not very satisfied and if we can discuss this further, we will renew the contract for another three years."
f1-20141.jpg
Mercedes-Petronas deal already done
The Sepang chief also revealed that reigning champions Mercedes have extended their title sponsorship deal with Petronas, the government-owned Malaysian oil company.
"It is learnt that Petronas has extended its sponsorship of Mercedes AMG team for another three years, and as such, it will be an impetus to hold the F1 in Sepang," said Mokhzani.