FORMULA 1 - 2015

McLaren heading in "good direction" at Barcelona F1 test

1431439699.jpg

McLaren test driver Oliver Turvey is convinced the team is heading in "a good direction" he feels will serve it well in the long term in Formula 1.
Turvey's wealth of simulator experience ensured he was given the nod for the first day of in-season testing at the Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday ahead of reserve Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne, who is a member of McLaren's young driver programme.
With McLaren running the rule over a raft of new components as confirmed to AUTOSPORT by racing director Eric Boullier, Turvey firmly believes in the approach being adopted by McLaren in partnership with new power-unit supplier Honda.
"The philosophy previously had been similar for a few years, and this new direction I feel is a good direction," added Turvey.
"It makes the car more driveable, and long-term it is a good direction.
"These concepts take time to develop, and I am sure there is more potential in this package.
"At the minute there is a lot of excitement and things to try. It has been an exciting year from a development point of view."
One of Turvey's primary tasks has been to assess the correlation between his work in the simulator and the car itself.
The 2006 McLaren AUTOSPORT BRDC Award winner, currently competing in Super GT with the Dome Honda team, added: "It seemed from the few laps I did this morning it was OK.
"It is about trying to find out where the differences are and trying to improve correlation.
"There have certainly been a lot of aero changes to the car and the characteristics of the car seem different in the simulator but also different on the track, so that is interesting to see and feel."
1431439857.jpg
The 28-year-old, now in his sixth season with McLaren, also noted the car to still be "a bit nervous" at the rear, following on from Jenson Button's woes in Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.
Button, who takes over the wheel on Wednesday, described the first 30 laps of the race as the scariest of his life due to the instability of the rear end.
"He struggled a lot in the race, and when I saw his comments I thought 'Maybe this is not the best track to be doing development work'," said Turvey, laughing.
"We started with aero runs in the first couple of hours and had a few sensor issues which unfortunately made that programme a little shorter, but we still got some useful data from that.
"After that we worked on more aero running, looking at the rear wing, running through some different options.
"We're looking at the upcoming races so we ran a Canada-spec rear wing, just data gathering, trying to drive consistent laps, not using the DRS on every lap."

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

Williams pinning hopes on Alex Lynn for F1 future

1431434089.jpg

Claire Williams says Alex Lynn has "all the ingredients", and would love to see the Williams development driver become the next British Formula 1 hopeful.
Last year's GP3 champion was a Red Bull junior and having driven for Lotus during Abu Dhabi's 2014 F1 post-season test, Lynn was taken on by Williams at the start of the year as its development driver.
On Wednesday, the 21-year-old will be given his first taste of the team's FW37 on the second day of the in-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya.
With Lynn on the F1 ladder, there is every chance he could follow the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button onto the grid, while Finn Valtteri Bottas served a similar apprenticeship with Williams before making his grand prix debut in 2013.
Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Williams said: "In all honesty, it's too early to tell whether he will make the step up.
"But he has shown he is quick, he listens - which is really important - he gives great feedback, and he is willing to be a part of the team.
"He has all the ingredients, but we will have to see how it shakes out over the course of the year to see what the end product is.
"I really hope he does because he is a great guy, he has worked really hard, has been patient, and he's British, and how great would that be to have another British talent come into our sport?
"When we looked at this role we very much wanted a development driver, to replicate what we did with Valtteri and integrate a driver into the team.
"Personally for me I really wanted a British driver, just being nationalistic about it. I quite fancied British driver, British team."
There is understandably considerable pressure on Lynn, but he stepped up to the plate in Spain last weekend, taking his maiden GP2 victory in the sprint race for DAMS.
"Before we made an appointment we did quite a lot of evaluation work on a lot of the drivers out there, and Alex obviously topped the list for us," Williams said.
"He's integrated really well, he's doing his whole internship thing, been working doing his rotations around composites, hydraulics, all the different departments.
"The work he has done in the simulator, he is improving his consistency and his speed, which has been really important for us.
"He is going to have a lot on his plate this year doing that role for us, syncing it with his GP2 season, which is hugely competitive. He has his work cut out.
"He has to prove to us he can do the job because competition for seats in F1 is high, as we all know, and that's always going to be his ambition, his dream, so he has to deliver the goods.
"So far he has done everything we have asked of him, and done it really well."

BARCELONA TEST DAY 2: PALMER FASTEST FOR LOTUS

e64ab92b-3522-4d4e-81c0-163357284545-750

Jolyon Palmer topped the time sheets on the final day of testing in Barcelona after late run on the Pirelli supersoft tyres which saw the Lotus driver end the day quickest of all
The GP2 Series champion set 1:26.080 in the final hour to eclipse Mercedes’ Pascal Wehrlein who had topped the timing screens for most of the day.
Palmer notched up 87 laps for Lotus, and impressing the F1 paddock with his pace and performance in the process.
The bullet-proof Mercedes W06 was on displayed again as Wehrlein, who was still feeling ill, completed 137 laps. However, his best time of 1:26.497 was over two seconds slower than the pace set by Nico Rosberg 24 hours earlier.
Wehrlein declared at the end of the day, “The Mercedes Power Unit is unbelievable and the chassis too, with a very good balance. I could feel it has changed a bit since I last drove it during winter testing.”
jm1513my107-750x500.jpg
“The team has clearly been working hard and developing it even further. It’s definitely a step forward and I’ve loved every minute of being behind the wheel!” he added.
After a day in the Toro Rosso cockpit Pierre Gasly completed 75 laps in the Red Bull and finished third quickest, ahead of Jenson Button managed 100 laps in the McLaren and ending the day fastest of the regular drivers.
Button’s day included testing for the upcoming races with low-speed work carried out for Monaco and a low-downforce rear wing experimented with ahead of Canada.
Making his debut for Williams, Alex Lynn was just fractionally slower than the McLaren driver, ending fifth with 52 laps completed, ending another day of limited running for the Grove outfit after Felipe Massa’s 54 laps a day earlier.
Mercedes’ new signing Esteban Ocon was sixth at the wheel of the Force, ahead of former Sauber driver Esteban Gutierrez who made his debut for Ferrari and completed 119 laps.
Carlos Sainz was another driver to complete over 100 laps and was seventh fastest for Toro Rosso.
Sauber’s Raffaele Marciello slowest of all nine drivers in action on the final day. He completed 75 laps, after recovering from a trip into the gravel in Turn 3 which prompted a red flag.
Barcelona Day 2 Best Lap Times
Joylon Palmer, Lotus, 1:26.080, 87 laps
Pascal Wehrlein, Mercedes, 1:26.497 137 laps
Pierre Gasly, Red Bull, 1:26.683, 75 laps
Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:26.927, 100 laps
Alex Lynn, Williams, 1:26.967, 52 laps
Esteban Ocon, Force India, 1:27.520, 94 laps
Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari, 1:27.930 119 laps
Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, 1:27.997, 126 laps
Raffaelle Marciello, Sauber, 1:28.829, 75 laps

FORMULA 1 REVAMP ON AGENDA AT CRUCIAL STRATEGY MEETING

F1-Grand-Prix-of-China-pqXlmH9rtGqx-750x

Formula 1 bosses and top teams will meet on Thursday to discuss a revamp of the sport, as well as technical concerns, but with considerable doubt over how much they can actually agree.
Past Strategy Group meetings, each billed as increasingly ‘crucial’, have rarely lived up to even modest expectations.
“We might change the date of the next meeting. Possibly. I’m not sure. It’s not easy to get decisions made,” commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone told Reuters when asked what might be achieved this time.
Leaving aside the 84-year-old’s cynicism, Formula 1 has major challenges to address including soaring costs, struggling teams, falling viewing figures in some regions and a failure to engage a younger audience.
Maurizio-Arrivabene-Spanish-F1-Grand-Pri
Ferrari are among those to have called for a rules ‘revolution’ from 2017, with bigger, louder and more affordable engines in faster and more fearsome cars.
More immediately, there will be a vote on whether to increase the engine allocation for this season from four per driver back to the five they had last year — with some teams opposed.
The Strategy Group meeting at Biggin Hill in southern England includes six teams — Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams and Force India — as well as the governing FIA and commercial rights holder.
“Every meeting is crucial,” FIA president Jean Todt told Reuters at the Spanish Grand Prix last weekend.
“We know there are some things to assess. And I hope we will be able to have a good agenda and come with good proposals and decisions to submit to the F1 commission and then to the world council.
Bernie-Ecclestone-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-
“I hate reacting to ‘this one says this, this one says that’,” he added when the various standpoints were put to him. “So we will have all the different stakeholders around the table and it will be a proper opportunity to speak about everything.
“A lot of work has been done, we have been doing some working groups, an enquiry with an external consultant, with the technical and sporting people, so I think we will have a quite clear situation to discuss about.”
The increased engine allocation proposal already looks doomed, however, with Mercedes-powered Williams and Force India against it on grounds of cost and a reluctance to help Renault-powered rivals Red Bull in the championship battle.
Red Bull and McLaren, whose partners Honda have also had reliability problems, are in favour.

MARKO: VERSTAPPEN AND SAINZ ALLOWED TO RACE RED BULL

Carlos-Sainz-Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Pri

Toro Rosso’s exceptional rookie drivers are free to race their counterparts in the senior Red Bull team, according to Helmut Marko who heads up the energy drink company’s F1 driver programme.
The senior team, headed in the cockpit by Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat, is in a deep trough in 2015, caused not only by the Renault engine but also the Milton Keynes-designed car.
Also clear is that the James Key-produced Toro Rosso is arguably the best ever produced by the former Minardi team.
“But we also have two exceptional junior drivers,” Marko insisted to Auto Motor und Sport.
Marko’s priority may be to help the senior team out of its rut, but the Austrian is never shy to ramp up the pressure on his Red Bull-stabled drivers.
Daniil-Kvyat-F1-Grand-Prix-Bahrain-UgOC2
So he declared there will be no ‘team orders’ requiring juniors Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz to give way in the races to Ricciardo and Kvyat.
“If we were to tell our young drivers to hold back, that would be completely counterproductive,” said Marko. “How would that motivate them?”
Clearly the most pressure is on the shoulders of young Russian Kvyat, who has struggled to shine at Red Bull following his rapid promotion from Toro Rosso this year.
Marko said: “Kvyat lost two seconds each time he was lapping [another car]. And Sainz exploited that.”
Ultimately, the pair collided right at the end of the Spanish grand prix, but were not penalised by the FIA.
Helmut-Marko-F1-Grand-Prix-Malaysia-yFFz
But it is believed that, inside the Red Bull ‘energy station’ after the race, it was Kvyat who was squarely blamed.
Indeed, Sainz revealed at a sponsor event in Barcelona on Tuesday: “The stewards were asking all of the questions to him.”
Meanwhile, British newspapers report that local police have finally arrested the thieves who stole 60 trophies from Red Bull’s Milton Keynes factory in January.
“The trophies are slowly being returned”, The Times newspaper revealed.
MIKA: I think the last straw for RBR will be when Manor start overtaking them... lookaround.gif
  • Like 1

MARKO: AUDI QUOTE WAS COMPLETELY DISTORTED

Helmut-Marko-F1-Grand-Prix-Malaysia-Prac

Outspoken Helmut Marko has hit back at reports he issued a new ultimatum about Red Bull’s involvement in Formula1 1, and claims he was misquoted.
Earlier this week BBC quoted Marko declaring: “If we don’t have a competitive engine in the near future, then either Audi is coming or we are out.”
But Marko told Bild that he was misquoted, “This what an English journalist published, but it is not the truth.”
To Red Bull’s own broadcaster Servus TV, Marko added: “The interview was completely distorted – we have the original. In short, everything that was published was nonsense but it went all around the world.”
“The starting point was that Gerhard Berger expressed a personal opinion that Red Bull and Audi should get together,” he explained.
Helmut-Marko-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-Quali
“About this I say: Well, that’s Gerhard’s opinion. But we currently have a contract with Renault, which still applies until the end of 2016. We are in a difficult situation, but we can only get out of it by working together.”
Marko added, “Officially, Audi has spoken neither with us or anyone else. I believe the VW Group has other worries at the moment than taking care of Formula 1.”
Meanwhile former Red Bull driver Mark Webber said that Marko’s comments should be taken “with a pinch of salt.”
“Mateschitz is the boss and what he says has to be respected,” insisted Weeber. “He is having a think about the whole thing and he hasn’t just been around for five minutes, he has been around for a long time and done a lot of good things for the sport.”

ROSBERG: I LIKE TO RACE WITH LEWIS, OUR RIVALRY IS GOOD

Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-Spanish-F1-G

Formula 1 championship contender Nico Rosberg says he is happy if reigning Lewis Hamilton stays at Mercedes beyond 2015, because he enjoys racing against the reigning world champion.
After a long period of negotiation and speculation, the latest reports suggest reigning world champion Hamilton’s new contract will finally be unveiled in Monaco.
“I don’t know what will happen,” Autosprint quoted Rosberg on the issue of his teammates extension, during an interview at the Barcelona test on Tuesday.
On the first day of the test, the German humbled the rest of the test field, even improving his pole position time.
Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-Australian-F
It is being speculated that Mercedes was running a performance evolution of its already-dominant power unit’ although a smiling Rosberg would not confirm that.
But his mood was undoubtedly also boosted by his form in the Spanish Grand Prix, having finally broken Hamilton’s run of utter superiority.
“I don’t know about all that, but I can say that I dominated the weekend and I’m very happy,” said Rosberg.
But is he just as happy to hear that Hamilton is reportedly staying at Mercedes in 2016?
“I don’t know what will happen,” Rosberg admitted. “But I like to race with him. We have a good rivalry and the atmosphere within the team is good enough.
“Of course it’s a hard battle,” he added, “but that’s what it’s like in this sport.”

MALDONADO DENIES HE REFUSES TO SIT OUT FP1 SESSIONS

Romain-Grosjean-Pastor-Maldonado-F1-Test

Lotus driver Pastor Maldonado has denied that he is responsible for ramping up tensions with his teammate Romain Grosjean, by refusing to sit out FP1 for a pay driver.
In Barcelona, it emerged that tension between the pair was growing over the ‘Friday practice’ issue, as it is always Grosjean who is giving up his cockpit for reserve Jolyon Palmer.
The strongly PDVSA-backed Maldonado has reportedly refused to budge as his contract guarantees him the seat in each session, but he apparently told journalists in Barcelona that he is willing to give up his car on a Friday if he is asked.
“I have raised it already ten times, and still nothing happens,” Grosjean claimed.
Then, on Sunday in Barcelona, the two black E23s collided, resulting in Venezuelan Maldonado having to carry around substantial damage to his rear wing, and eventually retire.
Maldonado, however, claims there is no problem between himself and Grosjean, despite their coming-together.
“I talked to him, but there is no problem,” he is quoted by Universo. “It was a very light touch, there was no intention on either side so it is very clear — it’s something that happens.”
Maldonado has retired from four of the five races so far this year, and is yet to score a single point. Frenchman Grosjean, meanwhile, says the Enstone team needs to improve.
“We now have a car that is a good base,” he told RMC Sport, “but we need new parts as the ones we have are getting a bit old.”
MIKA: Seems to me Maldonado needs all the practice he can get and perhaps it's high time this pay driver is given the "Heeve-ho" but we all know unfortunately money talks.
  • Like 2

GUTIERREZ HAS TALKS WITH HAAS IN SPAIN

Esteban-Gutierrez-F1-Testing-Barcelona-D

Esteban Gutierrez appears to be in pole position to head the new Haas F1 Team driver lineup next year.
According to Autosprint, the Mexican had a “long meeting” with the incoming American team’s owner Gene Haas over the course of the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.
Haas, also a Nascar team co-owner, was visiting the Barcelona paddock following reports an internal deadline for the driver decision has been set for September.
It was believed that American Alexander Rossi, the former Marussia and Caterham tester who now races in GP2, was a prime candidate for the North Carolina-based team.
“We’ve obviously spoken with Haas,” Rossi admitted last year.
But another obvious favourite is 23-year-old Gutierrez, the Sauber race driver of 2013 and 2014 who has now taken his Mexican backers to Ferrari.
He attends every race as official reserve driver for Ferrari, who will power and support the Haas outfit from next year.
Haas Automation, Gene Haas’ machine tool company, is also a sponsor of the Maranello based team.
“Gutierrez could be the experienced driver Haas is looking for,” said Autosprint, “while reinforcing the link between the American team and Ferrari.”
Meanwhile, Autosprint also reported that former F1 tyre supplier Michelin could compete with Pirelli in the forthcoming tender process to become the sport’s official partner from 2017.

F1 HOPEFULS LINE UP FOR FORCE INDIA RESERVE ROLE

forceindia_yelloy_montmelo_2015-750x500.

Hopeful candidates are lining up to be Force India’s official reserve driver, after the team announced they are actively looking for a driver to fill the role..
“We are looking,” confirmed deputy team boss Bob Fernley this week.
Pascal Wehrlein, who is already Mercedes’ reserve, was scheduled to drive the Mercedes-powered Force India on the first day of this week’s Barcelona test.
But media reports said his outing was called off because the young German has the flu. So Nick Yelloly, a British midfield driver in GP2, on Tuesday had his Force India debut fast-forwarded.
And reportedly driving the Silverstone-made car on Wednesday will be Esteban Ocon, a highly-promising French 18-year-old driver, who last year beat Max Verstappen in European F3.
Days ago, Mercedes announced that it has signed Ocon to its development programme, and he immediately reinforced his promise by winning on debut in GP3.
Ocon is now Mercedes’ official reserve driver in the DTM series, with the German carmaker saying he could become “a fully-fledged Mercedes-Benz driver in the future”.
“Esteban is a mega-talented young guy and one of the stars of the future,” said Toto Wolff.

BRIATORE FACING PRISON OVER TAX FRAUD

Briatore-Jail-750x501.jpg

If Italian prosecutors get their way, former F1 team boss Flavio Briatore could face four years in jail over alleged tax fraud.
Five years ago, Italian police seized the former Renault chief’s 60-metre luxury yacht Force Blue, saying it was improperly registered as a charter for tax purposes. The case returned to the Genoa courts this week, according to Italian media reports.
Prosecutors accuse 65-year-old Briatore – who was banned from F1 in 2009 over his involvement in the ‘crashgate’ scandal – of faking the charter registration to avoid sales, mooring and fuel taxes.
In court this week, “Prosecutors Patrizia Petruzziollo and Walter Cotugno demanded four years in prison for Flavio Briatore”, one Italian newspaper said.
Prosecutors, who are also pursuing Briatore’s associates, reportedly allege that the unpaid taxes amount to €3.6 million.
Briatore said in January: “If the Guardia di Finanza [tax police] had told me I had to pay, I would have done so without problems.”

Michelin open to Formula 1 return

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Mich

Michelin have stated they will tender an application to become F1's sole supplier but only under certain conditions.
The French tyre manufacturer left Formula 1 back in 2006 as the sport opted to move over to a single supplier.
Bridgestone initially took the role before Pirelli took over in 2011.
However, with the latter's contract expiring next year, Michelin have said they are open to a possible return.
"Why not? We are open to it," Michelin's motorsport director Pascal Couasnon told Italian publication Autosprint. "But there must be certain conditions.
"Formula 1 needs to change the technical regulations. The tyre must again be a technical object and not a tool for a spectacular show.
"We want 18-inch tyres that we will use in Formula E, and also in other series.
"If F1 wants to consider our proposals we are here, fully open, with a strong will to return."
But, he added, "if things stay as they are, we are not interested.
"We will tender our application, then it's up to [bernie] Ecclestone and the FIA whether they accept or not."
MIKA: Why a sole supplier and why not a couple manufacturers? Bring back the tyre war I say! ok.gif
  • Like 2

Marciello: Definite Ferrari progress

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Raff

Ferrari protegee Raffaele Marciello says this year's SF15-T is a definite improvement on last year's car.
The GP2 driver, a member of the Ferrari academy, had his first taste of this year's car at the Barcelona circuit on Tuesday.
Behind the wheel on Day One of the Spanish test, he covered 125 laps while working on aerodynamic development for the Scuderia.
His best time, a 1:26.648, put him third on the day's timesheets.
Tuesday's run was Marciello's first in the 2015 car having last tested for Ferrari back in the Abu Dhabi in 2014 and he reckons the progress is clear.
"Even though it's the first time I have driven this car, I got positive feelings from it," said the Italian.
"I think the team has done a good job: the last time I did a test, it was in Abu Dhabi last year and there's definitely been a lot of progress made since then.
"We will now analyse the large quantity of data we gathered on the new aerodynamic package used last Sunday to further improve our performance."

Ferrari, Red Bull paid more prize money than Mercedes

start-spain-1265LB1D0308.jpg

Ferrari received by far the largest prize money payout last year, $164 million (£104m), despite finishing just fourth in the Constructors' Championship.
Meanwhile champions Mercedes took home the third largest payment, $126m (£80m), which was $30m (£19m) less than Red Bull, which also finished behind the Brackley-based outfit in 2014.
Williams was the big loser though. Despite finishing third, it was paid the fifth highest amount, behind even McLaren which scored just 181 points to Williams' 320.
This is due to the unique prize money stucture which doesn't only reward success, but status within the sport. Ferrari, the oldest team, is therefore considered the most important.
Formula One Management takes the total revenue and distributes 65 per cent of it amongst the teams. However whilst 50 per cent of that is distributed based on their finishing position, the remaining 15 per cent is split between five teams; Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Williams.
This is weighted differently though depending on pre-negotiated terms with Bernie Ecclestone. Ferrari took home a $97m (£62m) 'premium' on top of its $67m (£43m) performance payout.
Mercedes was awarded $92m (£58m) for winning the championship, but its 'premium' came to just $34m (£22m), giving it a total which is $38m (£24m) shy of Ferrari's total.
The remaining five teams receive no 'premium' and solely rely on their performance payments, of which Sauber received the least at $44m (£28m).

Drivers to survey fans about future Formula 1 rules

fans_A2A7281.JPG

Formula 1 drivers are to take matters into their own hands next week with a proposal by the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, which will see them asking fans what they want from the future of the sport.
Talks are ongoing about the future direction of F1, with opposing views about what should and shouldn't be done to "spice up the show".
With the teams, Formula One Management and the FIA often ignoring the fans and what they want, the drivers have taken it upon themselves to find out what the fans would change about the sport.
They will begin by surveying fans next week, asking their opinion on a range of topics such as the technical and commercial side, how thrilling the racing is and what could be done to improve it, as well as audience behaviours in a bid to bolster television ratings which have recently dropped.
"Top @GPDA_ action coming! We want to hear from you the fans, what you think about our sport! Global fan survey details next week #RacingUnited," wrote Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo on Twitter.
Whether the survey has any impact on the decision makers isn't known, and it's likely coming too late given a meeting is planned this Thursday to discuss and finalise changes for 2017.
Among the changes up for discussion is to boost power output to 1,000bhp, introduce wider rear tyres, grippier and longer lasting tyres, as well as more dramatic looking cars.

Why a Formula 1 tyre shake-up could be on the cards

_68596523_smoke_vettel.jpg

Tyres are back in the spotlight this week, as Formula 1 chiefs meet to discuss the future of the sport.
Tyres are becoming a talking point once more during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, and specifically as a result of the suggestion from Force India that teams could make their own choice of which two compounds to use on a given weekend, rather than everyone relying on the two selected by Pirelli.
It's an intriguing idea, and one worthy of consideration. However, it had short shrift from the Italian company's motorsport boss, Paul Hembery, who insists that there are other ways to mix things up, if that's the direction that the sport wants to take.
The free compound choice is interesting in that those who have by luck or judgement developed cars that are easier on tyres could take advantage by going for the softer end of the range, and that could lead to different strategies and a mixed-up field.
formula-1-paul-hembery-gp-australia-2015
"I think the FIA might think it has merit," Force India's deputy team principal Bob Fernley told Motorsport.com. "It will be a very simple step to introduce a random element into the mix. Isn't that part of the excitement of it?
"The fact that you make decisions based on your ability - and more importantly taking the decision away from Pirelli - means if you've got it wrong, it's you that's got it wrong, and not Pirelli.
"In all fairness it's a very innovative idea, a very simple one. But like all simple things, it could be quite interesting. It creates a potential random element – you could get it very right, or very wrong, or you can take the safe option.
"People would get more adventurous as they get more confident. It's another variable, and it costs you nothing to make that variable. We can all play safe, but if you want things to be interesting, sometimes you have to push the envelope."
Logistical challenges
There are huge logistical implications for Pirelli, of course. There is no way that the company will take a full compliment of all four compounds to each venue and wait for the teams to make their choice on Thursday. Tyres are built months in advance, and for the races outside Europe they sit on container ships for weeks at a time.
In other words, teams would have to make their calls two or three months ahead of a given race. The complication with such a schedule is that a team could be choosing for Australia before it has tested the new car – and thus before it knows how hard or otherwise it is on its tyres...
"You probably could implement it after the summer break. If the Strategy Group agrees it, then you've got plenty of time to do your predictive modelling, advise Pirelli what your tyres are going to be for Singapore and Japan and Russia, and away you go," added Fernley.
Pirelli: we have better ideas
Pirelli didn't know about the Force India idea until it emerged in Spain, but having had time to assess it Hembery was clearly not keen to offer support.
"I think once we've understood a little bit better what's to be achieved I think we'll come up with some good ideas," he told Motorsport.com.
"We're slowly starting to understand what they would like. If it's to have more unpredictability, for example, or to create some question marks or more demanding situations, then we've got some ideas."
sahara-force-india-both.jpg
Hembery is adamant that giving teams an advance choice of the four compounds won't work – and it definitely couldn't be fast-tracked into the rules for 2015.
"It's not going to happen – the logistics and costs issues are huge, and we do plan well ahead, particularly for the overseas races. Europe is shorter, but the overseas stuff all goes by sea freight, so it's probably a three-month lead time.
"If you're allowing people to choose, almost all the top teams will end up taking the same anyway, because they'll want to have the same so that they're not out of step. So it's likely to be the people in the midfield or at the back who will make a very dramatic choice."
Despite what Fernley says about the teams taking responsibility, Hembery believes that Pirelli will end up getting flak: "Say you had supersoft tyres in Barcelona, you'd get five laps out of them, and it won't be the team that's chosen badly, it will still be Pirelli's problem.
"And let's say we said choose the whole year in advance. Imagine that you are halfway through the season and you find you've really screwed up your choice - again it will be 'Pirelli's tyres aren't working.'
Bob-Fernley-and-Jean-Todt_3221710.jpg
"We've been down those roads a few times, so we've got some good experience of what we feel we should allow them to do and not do."
He hints at some ideas that Pirelli will support: "At the end of the day they love to know what tyres we're taking to each race, so they can do all the simulations.
"We're very much open to ideas. If you wish to create something a little bit different, and we've had these regulations for some time, maybe we could have six compounds, maybe we could enforce more changes that way.
"We've been given a little bit more indication about what they are looking for, and that's something we could look at. We're going to put some proposals together that we feel would add a bit more unpredictability to it."
Don't expect answers this week
However, no one should expect such ideas to be tabled at the Strategy Group on Thursday: "I've told Bernie we need a little bit more time to think about it. It's only this weekend that people have started to ask us about it, frankly."
What could crop up this week however are tyre dimensions.
Pirelli has indicated that it's willing to make wider rears, for example: "It won't be a decision point [this week] but probably a discussion point. We've said that we're quite happy to go to the wider tyres – 420mm rather than the current 360 – so you're adding a bit of width on the rear."
Meanwhile, in the longer term Pirelli is still keen to go in the low-profile direction, but the major changes required to the cars – and the extra expense – mean that it's unlikely to gain support.
"The feeling I've had from teams is they want to stay with 13". There's so much change involved. From an engineering point of view it gives us more margin, we're happy to try 18" and 19", we've carried on doing some development work and we've been looking at those sorts of tyres anyway.
"But it doesn't seem to be that the sport wants to go in that direction at the moment, they seem to want to stay with 13"."
christianklien_redbullracin.jpg
Uncertain future
There is one potential problem with any such long-term planning – Pirelli's current contract is up at the end of 2016, and Michelin (or anyone else, for that matter) will have the chance to bid.
Hembery says that Pirelli will continue with its work come what may: "We might be there, we might not be there. I guess at some stage during this year or early next year we'll have an idea."
Of course there's always the possibility that the rules are changed to allow tyre competition in F1 once more, although, as ever, keeping a check on development and hence speeds would be a problem.
Fernley, meanwhile, adds another left field idea to the mix: "Choosing your own compounds could potentially allow a second tyre manufacturer in. You could take tyres for part of the season from one, and the rest from the other. It opens the door up for other opportunities..."

Drive a lap with the MP4/4 and Fernando Alonso

Drive a lap of the Circuit de Catalunya with Fernando Alonso at the wheel of Ayrton Senna's iconic MP4/4.

Shame they couldn't take the footage on board and at full throttle!

MIKA: I think the last straw for RBR will be when Manor start overtaking them... lookaround.gif

With McLaren hovering in their rear view mirrors right after a Manor have blown by them.

Can't believe how badly Renault have screwed up their engine this year. RBR and Torro Rosso can count themselves lucky that McLaren-Honda--or should I say Honda--have disappointed and a few teams are too financially disadvantaged to compete for points. Add Maldonado who can always be counted on to--one way or another--not finish in the points, all of this means that RBR is at least scoring points.

• Like 1

Ricciardo ponders Kvyat development contribution

PA1678578.0036.jpg

Daniel Ricciardo has questioned whether Daniil Kvyat is 'holding back the team' in terms of developing the Red Bull RB11, but says he is himself doing his best to progress the team along.
With Red Bull enduring a lacklustre start to the 2015 F1 season, Ricciardo and Kvyat have been busily working to bring the car up to the speed of its rivals having become mired in the mid-field and up against its sister team Toro Rosso.
Indeed, following the exit of Sebastian Vettel to Ferrari, Ricciardo admits it has been difficult to replicate the feedback that came with his lengthy period in the Red Bull set-up, while he also suggests the relative inexperience of Kvyat is also proving detrimental.
“Seb had built very good relationships in the team and the feedback in the team was easy because of the time and experience with them, so it is hard to quantify that,” he said.
“With Daniil, after the meetings he gives his feedback and what he feels in the car is what he feels. It is hard to say if it is right or wrong. I think he knows what he feels and from what I see he is explaining it as well as he can to the engineers.
“I would like to think it is not holding us back but it is hard to answer that. I think we are doing as well as we can, at least in trying to help the team. I am always thinking of ways we can help them and fast-track the progress but we are doing all we can.”
Kvyat participated in the in-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya this week, but warned there will be 'no miracles' in Red Bull's quest to get back to form.

Arai talks ‘pressure’ and McLaren podiums by mid-season

PA1698845.0036.jpg

Honda motorsport boss Yasuhisa Arai believes McLaren has the ability to turn its form around in time to end the 2015 F1 season on a high, suggesting a podium by mid-season is still possible.
Having dominated the sport together in the late 1980's, the Japanese firm returned to F1 as an engine supplier with McLaren this season, but has so far endured a troubled beginning to its rekindled relationship.
Beset by performance and reliability woes, though the team has made strides from pre-season when it struggled to muster laps altogether, McLaren is one of only two teams – along with Manor – yet to score a point after five races
Despite this, the atmosphere at McLaren remains positive, with drivers Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso, as well as managers Ron Dennis and Eric Boullier, repeatedly emphasising their belief that the new set-up will yield excellent results in the future.
1431508144.jpg
It is a view shared by Arai who, whilst admitting Honda has almost developing an entirely new power unit from the one it started pre-season testing with, says that development is now coming along well.
“Honestly, before the season - at the pre-season test - it was not so good, there were many unexpected issues and we did not run,” he said. “We spent a lot of time and wasted time not testing, just confirming what was happening, so we had a delay in the schedule, but we immediately caught up, step by step, very quickly.
“Power-wise and also the characteristics have quite changed. It is almost a new power unit.”
Indeed, Arai is convinced McLaren-Honda has the ability to progress quickly up the order, suggesting Williams and Ferrari can be caught by the end of the year and even predicting a podium challenge as soon as mid-season.
“We believed we could get points [in Spain], but unfortunately we had trouble on Fernando's car, so it was a very pessimistic result. Maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season – we hope.”
For Arai, the huge success of McLaren and Honda's former collaboration means he feels pressure from Honda to return to that glory.
“Australia was not such a good result, but race by race, getting better and Honda are very happy. We have a huge great history as McLaren-Honda, 1988, and everybody thinks about that, so I have very big pressure on me.”

Gene Haas: NASCAR's Danica Patrick not out of F1 equation

1431514940.jpg

Gene Haas has not ruled out signing Danica Patrick for his new Formula 1 team next season, should she be able to attract a big-name sponsor.
Haas F1 is now just 10 months away from making its debut, and question marks still hang over the driver line-up.
The team has already announced no decision will be made until later this year, with numerous names in the frame, and that includes Patrick.
The 33-year-old, currently competing in the NASCAR Sprint Cup with the team Haas co-owns with Tony Stewart, is to lose long-time backer GoDaddy at the end of the year.
Despite that, Haas told AUTOSPORT: "If the right sponsor came along then anything is possible.
"Danica Patrick is highly marketable, and if anything we're very lucky GoDaddy is giving us enough time to find a sponsor that she'll fit with because she can sell anything.
"She has as much attention at the race track as any of the drivers, so she's a very valuable person."
The 62-year-old, though, recognises luring Patrick to F1 is a long shot, adding: "We kind of have to wait until mid-summer and really see who's available.
"Obviously Formula 1 cars are a little unique, you probably have to have someone with relative experience of driving these cars.
"But we don't want to sit here and say no to anything, although the probabilities, and obviously with Danica in NASCAR, it's very difficult to participate in F1.
"Obviously it would be a home run to put an American driver in an American Formula 1 team, but it takes a lot of alignment of the stars for that to happen."
1431517753.jpg
In terms of behind-the-scenes preparation in other areas, Haas could not be happier as the factory is up and running, with around 90 staff currently on board.
Haas feels another 50 to 60 need to be recruited before the team is up to full speed, but at present everything is on schedule.
"We've ordered a lot of equipment, we're working on pit equipment, and we're working closely with Ferrari in terms of the engine and the things we're going to need," said Haas.
"Right now we're in that slow period of building things, putting things together.
"It takes longer to do everything when you have time; time seems to fill up the space."
The key for any new team, of course, revolves around money and whether it is in a solid position financially.
Haas maintains his organisation is currently healthy on that front, even without sponsorship, which he is looking into.
"We really don't have any urgent need for sponsors, but we'd certainly like to have some," said Haas.
"But our goal is we're going racing, whether we're sponsored or not.
"I believe there are people out there who want to be associated with us, but there's also a price with that too.
"We really want to be known as a premium brand machine tool, so we're going to be a premium brand race team too.
"We're not going to be bargain racers."

Ferrari, Red Bull paid more prize money than Mercedes

start-spain-1265LB1D0308.jpg

Ferrari received by far the largest prize money payout last year, $164 million (£104m), despite finishing just fourth in the Constructors' Championship.
Meanwhile champions Mercedes took home the third largest payment, $126m (£80m), which was $30m (£19m) less than Red Bull, which also finished behind the Brackley-based outfit in 2014.
Williams was the big loser though. Despite finishing third, it was paid the fifth highest amount, behind even McLaren which scored just 181 points to Williams' 320.
This is due to the unique prize money stucture which doesn't only reward success, but status within the sport. Ferrari, the oldest team, is therefore considered the most important.
Formula One Management takes the total revenue and distributes 65 per cent of it amongst the teams. However whilst 50 per cent of that is distributed based on their finishing position, the remaining 15 per cent is split between five teams; Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Williams.
This is weighted differently though depending on pre-negotiated terms with Bernie Ecclestone. Ferrari took home a $97m (£62m) 'premium' on top of its $67m (£43m) performance payout.
Mercedes was awarded $92m (£58m) for winning the championship, but its 'premium' came to just $34m (£22m), giving it a total which is $38m (£24m) shy of Ferrari's total.
The remaining five teams receive no 'premium' and solely rely on their performance payments, of which Sauber received the least at $44m (£28m).

IMO, in a sport where spending is king--which is true of most sports--this is the biggest problem with F1. No way a small or midlevel team such as Williams can ever hope to compete with the big boys. The sport's ruling body almost guarantee this.

• Like 1

Arai talks ‘pressure’ and McLaren podiums by mid-season

Indeed, Arai is convinced McLaren-Honda has the ability to progress quickly up the order, suggesting Williams and Ferrari can be caught by the end of the year and even predicting a podium challenge as soon as mid-season.
“We believed we could get points [in Spain], but unfortunately we had trouble on Fernando's car, so it was a very pessimistic result. Maybe in Monaco or Canada we will have a much better chance of getting points, and then to achieve a podium in the middle of the season – we hope.”

Let's start by bringing 2 drivers to the checker flag first and score at least 1 point before talk of podium. Last, second last or third last is not podium finishes.

• Like 1