FORMULA 1 - 2015

Let's start by bringing 2 drivers to the checker flag first and score at least 1 point before talk of podium. Last, second last or third last is not podium finishes.

Even before the chequered flag, how about finishing the full race consistently? ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

RENAULT: SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH OUR DYNO

b_D8D7537-750x501.jpg

Renault F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul has admitted there is something wrong with correlation of data between the Viry-Chattilon factory and the race track.
The French marque is struggling to get to the bottom of a fundamental problem in the area of its piston design that has led to multiple failures in 2015.
“On the dyno the engines are reliable,” Abiteboul said, “but when we come on track they are not. Obviously there is something wrong in our validation process, from dyno to track.”
“It’s just like aerodynamics, when the wind tunnel is not telling the truth; it’s exactly the same in the engine world,” he told F1’s official website.
motor_cyril-750x498.jpg
But the Frenchman said Renault is working hard to solve its problems, and keen to race away from earlier suggestions it might split with Red Bull or even quit F1 altogether.
“We are living through a tough moment,” said Abiteboul. But “this marriage has all the reason in the world to last. So we have to do a better job on-track, but we also have to a better job off-track.”
Renault have once again irked Red Bull as a result of a well below par Spanish Grand Prix weekend, in which the former world champions were inundated with problems during qualifying which saw them on the back foot all weekend.
To add insult to injury, were lapped in the race where Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat finished seventh and tenth respectively.

SAINZ: PEOPLE WERE WRONG TO THINK MAX WOULD DESTROY ME

Carlos-Sainz-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-Quali

According to some, Toro Rosso rookie Carlos Sainz has been the revelation of the 2015 Formula 1 season thus far and a big plus is that he has stepped out of the shadow of Max Verstappen’s hype.
The build-up to the Spaniard’s debut season in Formula 1 was totally overshadowed by Verstappen, who at 17 is the youngest driver in F1 history and already compared by some to the great Ayrton Senna.
But Sainz, the ‘other’ Toro Rosso driver with a famous father, has actually scored more points than Dutchman Verstappen so far, and in Barcelona was hailed for qualifying fifth.
Verstappen was announced as a Toro Rosso driver long before Sainz was signed-up by the Red Bull owned team, and for a period it was not sure that the Spaniard would be in Formula 1 this year.
P-20150316-00092_HiRes-JPEG-24bit-RGB-75
“I don’t know if I am the revelation of the year,” he smiled when asked by Diario Sport newspaper, “but the start for me has been positive and I think I have surprised a lot of people.”
“Now I have to continue at this level because the same people forget very quickly,” he added.
But he is relieved that, after all the Verstappen hype, he has managed to make a mark in 2015, “We have all seen how good Max is.”
“It was not exaggerated, but just because he is good does not mean I am not as well. These first races have shown the people who thought that he would destroy me,” mused Sainz.

TORO ROSSO BOSS PLAYS DOWN RENAULT TEAM TAKEOVER

160601753_PG_9632_B2E5D83A74EC11658018AE

Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost has played down the chances of a team takeover by Renault,amid the French manufacturer’s very public fall out with Red Bull this season.
Earlier this year, at the height of Red Bull’s public spat with the French carmaker, it seemed inevitable that Renault was going to either buy and rebrand the junior outfit Toro Rosso, or quit formula one altogether.
But this week, Renault’s F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul played down that likelihood.
“We are living through a tough moment,” said Abiteboul. But “this marriage has all the reason in the world to last.
“So we have to do a better job on-track, but we also have to a better job off-track,” he told F1’s official website.
At the same time, Red Bull officials have openly declared that, despite their struggles with Renault’s power unit in 2015, they have a contract through 2016.
Now, Toro Rosso chief Tost is playing down not only a Renault team takeover, but even a yellow re-branding of the Faenza based team’s car.
“A yellow-white car with big Renault letters! No problem – they can do this with Toro Rosso,” the Austrian said on Thursday. “But at the moment Cyril said that their main problem is currently to sort out their reliability problems and not painting a car.”
“And before that is sorted out they will not think in the direction of either taking over a team or branding a team. That can change in the next couple of weeks and months,” Tost added.
However, he continues to believe that the next step forward for Toro Rosso would have to be in the form of an alliance with a manufacturer.
“There is no timeline on that,” said Tost. “When, Red Bull and Renault decide.”

MARLBORO EXTENDS LONG-STANDING FERRARI DEAL

Barcelona-Ferrari-Raikkonen-2-28-2019-75

United States cigarette and tobacco giant Philip Morris International has agreed a three-year extension to its long-running sponsorship deal with Formula One motor racing team Ferrari, according to Bloomberg.
Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene told the news agency that Philip Morris extended the sponsorship through 2018 at a board meeting more than a year ago without making a public announcement.
In July 2011, Philip Morris signed a three-year renewal covering the 2013 to 2015 F1 seasons in a deal reportedly worth $300m (€269.3m). The partnership represents one of the most inconspicuous sponsorships in sport, with advertising laws meaning Philip Morris hasn’t displayed its Marlboro cigarette brand at a race since 2007.
A European Union ban on tobacco advertising in the sport started in 2005. However, territories including China and Monaco allowed Ferrari to carry Marlboro branding until 2007. Ferrari’s cars currently feature a red-and-white square that resembles a Marlboro cigarette pack.
Philip Morris confirmed to Bloomberg that it has extended the partnership with Ferrari beyond 2015 without giving financial details. Philip Morris or Marlboro is not included amongst Ferrari’s current top-tier official sponsors on the team’s official website. The list comprises Alfa Romeo, Santander, Shell, UPS, Kaspersky Labs, Weichai, Hublot, Claro and TNT.
Philip Morris’ relationship with Ferrari began in the mid-1980s.

MIKA HAKKINEN WANTS BOTTAS TO FERRARI RUMOURS TO STOP

89P7014-750x500.jpg

Mika Hakkinen says he does not want to add more fuel to the rumours surrounding Valtteri Bottas.
In Barcelona, the Williams driver had to address speculation he has been targeted as a potential Ferrari star of the future.
Also making comments over the Spanish grand prix weekend was Didier Coton, Bottas’ day-to-day manager who admitted that the 25-year-old could eventually move to another team.
Hakkinen, the former two-time world champion, is also involved in Bottas’ management,
He said this week: “Didier Coton already spoke about this in Barcelona. I don’t want to say any more.”
“Valtteri’s job is to do everything he can to succeed as a driver, while the managers are responsible for ensuring that one day he has the chance to be world champion,” Hakkinen said in his latest interview with Hermes.
Bottas’ third manager is the Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff.

HONDA EXPECT TO START USING ENGINE TOKENS MID-SEASON

honda-f1-power-unit-750x490.jpg

Honda will soon begin to spend its allotted engine tokens to improve the performance of its F1 power unit.
To date, improvements made to the Japanese marque’s power unit have been for reliability purposes.
It means that McLaren’s works supplier still has in its possession the 9 ‘tokens’ it was awarded at the beginning of the year by the governing FIA, which can be exchanged for in-season performance upgrades.
F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai would not say exactly when Honda will begin to use the tokens, but it will not be done at the very end of the season.
“That would not make sense,” he told Marca. “We will [use them] when we know that we will gain, and it will be soon, after the tests.”
Arai is no doubt referring to the two in-season tests, including the two-day Barcelona session that has just ended.
The only other test will be in the days after the Austrian grand prix at the Red Bull Ring in late June. And Honda is not ruling out using all 9 tokens in one hit.
“We’re studying it,” said Arai, “but we have not decided.”

MASSA CALLS FOR MORE TESTING FREEDOM IN F1

Felipe-Massa-F1-Grand-Prix-Malaysia-Qual

Williams driver Felipe Massa would prefer if teams were given more freedom to decide their in-season testing plans.
For cost reasons, there are now only two official group tests within the annual race calendar — immediately after the Spanish and Austrian grands prix.
The two-day Barcelona session, attended by Brazilian Massa, has just ended.
“Tests are always important,” he told UOL Esporte. “It’s always good to do laps to understand the car better.
“But even if it is important, I think a test like that in Barcelona is less important because we have just raced here, and now we are going to a completely different track so it’s not so easy to get things ready for Monaco,” said Massa.
However, the 34-year-old said he understands that cost restraints in formula one make post-race tests more affordable for struggling teams.
“It is not a matter of preference,” said Massa, “it is just what some teams are able to do. There are some teams that could test anywhere, but others not — that’s why they test after the race because it costs less.”
Interestingly, Massa said that Williams would be among the teams who might choose to test privately, even though the British team’s budget is not one of the biggest in the sport.
“For us, it would be interesting to test somewhere else, but we have to understand the whole situation,” he insisted.

NASR CONFIRMS NO SAUBER UPGRADES YET

JSX7415-750x503.jpg

As he predicted before Spain, rookie Felipe Nasr is expecting Sauber to suffer at the next few races.
Early in 2015, the Brazilian rookie emerged as a potential star of the future, finishing fifth in Australia and scoring more points in China.
But Nasr, 22, warned before the Spanish grand prix – where he qualified 15th – that a lack of performance upgrades could mean Sauber begins to struggle.
“I think I’m doing my best with what I have,” he said after the Barcelona round. “I think I capitalised well in the early races to score as much as possible when I had the opportunity.”
Sauber, with probably the second-smallest budget in F1 and having struggled for survival over the winter, benefitted early in 2015 from Ferrari’s vastly improved engine.
But the Swiss team then arrived in Spain where key rivals unveiled substantial performance upgrades.
Nasr, meanwhile, said: “I’m driving the same car with which I started the year in Australia. There’s nothing different, just small details.”
He said the C34 car will only be upgraded “mid-season”. UOL Esporte said the upgraded Sauber is expected no earlier than Belgium in late August.

HAKKINEN SAYS ORDER TO SLOW HAMILTON JUSTIFIED

Nico-Rosberg-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-sAYt8

Mika Hakkinen says he can understand why Mercedes issued a team order towards the end of the Spanish grand prix.
After the Barcelona race, championship leader Lewis Hamilton claimed he ignored his team’s advice to bring the car home rather than try to chase down teammate Nico Rosberg.
“I’m here to race, not to finish second, so naturally I ignored that,” Hamilton said afterwards. “I’ll definitely be making sure that it’s not said again.”
But former two-time world champion Hakkinen said he can understand why Mercedes issued the order.
“Overloading the engine at that point would not have been wise,” the Finn said in his latest interview with Hermes.
“I fully understand why the team asked him to save the car. They didn’t say it because they didn’t want Lewis to win — the reason was technical.”

Ecclestone and Todt versus teams

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jean

As F1 prepares for crunch talks about the sport's future, Bernie Ecclestone has warned he could team up with Jean Todt to push through changes.
The F1 supremo and his FIA counterpart will meet with the teams at Thursday's much anticipated Strategy Group meeting at Biggin Hill.
Topics ranging from using a fifth engine to cheaper engines to a switch to 1000bhp engines are all on the table as is the possible banning of windtunnels and introducing wider rear tyres.
Any motion needs to gain a majority support to go onto the next stage in the process, the F1 Commission, and with Ecclestone controlling six of the 18 votes and the FIA a further six, an alliance between the two could push through changes even if the six teams are not in favour.
Speaking of the possibility of him teaming up with FIA President Todt, Ecclestone told Autosport: "If Jean was happy to fall into line, then yeah, there would be no problem at all. We don't have to talk to anyone.
"He's happy to do that, and we have done that, but what he won't do is really stand up and say 'this is how it is'.
"With me, if I was a doctor and I knew I had to cut off somebody's arm to save their life then there wouldn't be a discussion.
"The problem is we have with this democracy in our sport, and in our case it's even worse because you have people in competition with one another.
"Obviously you are not going to do anything to help somebody to beat you, so it's very difficult.
"But I'll speak with Jean and we'll see what happens."

Williams vortex generators and cockpit fin

williams-somers-spain.jpg

Williams decided that rather than implement all of their updates in one large group as soon as they arrived back in Europe, they've chosen to spread them across the next few grands prix.
In Barcelona the team reworked the leading edge of their sidepods, increasing the number of vortex generators from one to three (see above image).
Meanwhile, just ahead of that the team have also revised their cockpit fin design, utilising a triangular vane instead of two smaller fins.
These changes are all designed to improve the performance of the sidepod as an aerodynamic surface, widening its operating window, with vortices created by these elements delaying the separation of airflow as it passes over the sidepods surface, increasing overall downforce and reducing drag.

HOW RED BULL MOVES TOWARDS F1 END GAME WITH AUDI

mateschitz-christian-horner-red-bull_328

It's an unusual way to do business, to baldly state that either a takeover deal is done with a manufacturer, who has thus far shown no interest in Formula 1, or else your team will leave the sport and then to back it up by saying there are no talks in place for such a deal.

However Red Bull is not a typical company with a typical way of doing business.
There have been some seismic changes in this story in the last few weeks – triggered by the departure of parent company chairman Ferdinand Piech, who opposed an F1 entry – and by Red Bull’s abysmal performance this season with Renault engines. Well informed sources suggest that Red Bull’s boss Dietrich Mateschitz means what he says about leaving the sport.
A throwaway comment from former Ferrari boss Luca Montezemolo last week about a ‘mutual friend’ telling him that Mateschitz had decided to ‘either sell to Audi or exit F1,’ was backed up by Red Bull director Helmut Marko on Sunday. He coupled it with a caveat, “unless we get a competitive engine”, but for some well informed observers, the caveat isn’t really there. Mateschitz is just looking at the two options. He does, however, have great concern about his employees, so passing the team on to a solid new custodian will be foremost in his priorities, as it was for Peter Sauber when he sold to BMW.
Audi will know that and it will help with getting the right price.
Moving the story along, an official response from Audi on Monday, has now left the door open for the possibility of a takeover.
“There are so many rumours. Officially there was no request or talks,” said Marko. “The VW Group first has to sort out who will be the new chief of support, who will run the brand of VW, and when they have sorted all these things maybe then they can think about what they are doing in motorsport.”
Speaking yesterday informally to Auto Express about the possibility of taking over the Milton Keynes-based team, Audi’s chairman Rupert Stadler (below) said, “It’s something we’re looking at, but then we’re always looking at it and many other things. But I can’t say yes or no.”
Rupert-Stadler1.jpg
Realistically, then, the timetable for such a deal would be end of 2016, so the team could potentially be Audi from 2017 onwards.
There would never be a better way for a manufacturer to come in to F1 than to acquire a state of the art team, fully stocked with top engineers and technology, which has won the world title four years in a row from 2010-13. Toyota, in contrast, built everything up from scratch in Cologne at vast expense and got nowhere after spending billions. That is a case study in how not to do things.
Another sweetener for this potential takeover is that Red Bull Racing has a guaranteed $70 million a year up front from FOM as part of the so called CCB agreement, whereby five top teams get up-front payments; this group includes Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes and Williams. Red Bull gets the second highest payment of all after Ferrari’s $100m a year.
This is guaranteed until the end of 2020, so Audi by taking over the entry, should be sure of having that portion of the budget paid for four years, plus prize money from wherever the team finished the year before.
That said, this would depend on the other teams welcoming Audi to the sport; dealing with a name change requires careful negotiation as the other teams would have to agree to the team continuing to get Red Bull’s prize money, even though the chassis maker’s name had changed. It would be a real boost for the sport, so they shouldn’t stand in the way, but we do know that the smaller teams are unhappy with the financial distribution in F1, so they may take the opportunity to leverage their position to see if there’s something in it for them.
The company number would remain the same as an entrant, of course.
Sponsorship wise, the Infiniti deal is due to come to an end after the 2016 season, so that timing would fit in well for their exit as Infiniti is a Renault-owned car brand and a direct competitor of Audi. It is not known whether Red Bull would retain some involvement or brand exposure in this project. They are committed to hosting the Austrian Grand Prix for a few more years, so F1 would remain part of their activities and the company has strong historic ties with Audi.
r0_441_4315_2877_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
Either way, budget wise, with the current F1 rules fairly limited on cost-control, the team would expect to get through around $150-170 million a year for the Milton Keynes operation, plus whatever Audi chose to spend on engine development and production at its base in Germany, probably around $100m-$120m a year. They could supply engines to another team and recoup around $20m per team.
Well organised and with the $70m up front payments until 2020, Audi could probably do F1 on a competitive level for a net spend of around $100-120m a year. It sounds a lot, but it isn’t really; the media value and brand exposure alone would far outweigh that.
Telling the story of the ‘world’s most thermally efficient engines’, which these new Formula 1 hybrid turbos are, is a powerful message and the chance to take on and beat Mercedes and Ferrari in the most high profile competition is very attractive.
The business logic is there, provided they are comfortable with the numbers – Audi has achieved everything it can in World Endurance Championship and its sister brand Porsche is now competing there anyway; Audi is likely to win Le Mans again this year and there are surely diminishing returns for them in WEC, for what is still a significant spend – well over $100m. F1 is a new challenge with far greater return on investment.
Audi of course, runs with hybrid diesel engines in WEC, so would need to perfect the technology for petrol engines, but there are suggestions that it has been playing with hybrid petrol test engines in its R&D facilities and the energy recovery side is class leading in WEC. The Formula 1 unit would need to be lighter, of course.
f1-todt-domenicali-2014-inline.jpg
Former Ferrari F1 team principal Stefano Domenicali was hired by Audi last season, allegedly in a ‘mobility’ capacity but he still spends a great deal of time in the motorsport arena as the FIA’s single seater commissioner, putting in place the ladder from F4, through F3 and specifying a new F2 series, which will soon release blueprints and go to tender. He is still very much a racing man.
If the deal goes ahead, Audi may retain Christian Horner, who guided the team to four world titles, or he may see it as a logical stepping off point and may decide to pursue a role in the central running of the sport.
Audi will have an eye on the future ownership of F1, of course, with CVC looking to exit, cornerstone investors looking for a flotation or an exit soon and Bernie Ecclestone very much in the picture, looking to take it all back again if the opportunity arises. He has indicated that Horner would be an ideal successor.

Cosworth linked with dual engine Formula 1 solution

PA943167.jpg

Cosworth has entered the frame for a return to Formula 1 if the sport's chiefs decide that smaller teams need to be given a cheap supply of alternative engines from 2017.

Ahead of looming talks about future engine rules, as the sport bids to find ways to cut costs for independents, one idea being considered is for there to be two power unit types in F1.
It is possible that while manufacturers will be left free to continue developing the current turbo power units, smaller outfits could be offered cheaper alternative V6 twin turbos or even the old V8 engines.
F1's commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone told Motorsport.com: "I think we can possibly have the other teams running maybe with a different type of engine that will be the same performance, but a lot less money. I'm saying we'll leave everything as it is for the constructors. Don't touch it."
Should the dual engine route be agreed, then sourcing a supply of alternative power units from the current manufacturers would be nearly impossible.
dms1213jy79.jpg
The Cosworth solution
However, one solution could be for Cosworth to resurrect an F1 engine programme if it makes financial sense for the company.
It is understood that the idea may even have been floated with senior Cosworth representatives, although it is not thought that the matter will move forward at all until F1 makes a decision on engine regulations.
The issue of engines is expected to be a key part of Thursday's crunch meeting of the F1 Strategy Group at Biggin Hill, and it may be that teams agree to keep the current power unit regulations unchanged.
107_0_1269008352.jpg
A Cosworth spokesman told Motorsport.com that the F1 door was always open for his company, but declined to confirm whether or not they were actively considering a return.
"Cosworth's business is on an upward trajectory and remains focused on three core pillars: automotive, performance aftermarket and motorsport," he said.
cosworth_f1.jpg
"The company provides engineering solutions across all three of these pillars and has the facilities in place to support a wide range of requirements – from global car manufacturers to motorsport championships.
"Formula 1 has always played a key role in Cosworth's business, and the company will always remain close to the sport. However, we are not in a position to comment on specific rumours."

Alain Prost: Formulaq 1 may have to agree to big changes

mercedes02.jpg

Former world champion Alain Prost says Formula 1 has to decide where it wants to be in 10 years - and adds that the sport could learn some lessons from the way Formula E's stakeholders are working together to promote the new series.

The Frenchman, who was an F1 team principal from 1997 to 2001, is closely involved in the new all-electric championship, in which his son Nicolas is a front-runner.
“They always just want to change one thing,”
“But if it doesn't work exactly the way it should, then maybe it's the whole concept that should be changed. There are lot of small things, and the technical rules and the budget problem, everything. It has to be a sort of, ‘where do you want to be in 10 years?'”
“It's different in Formula E because we are building something. F1 is stabilised, and when it's very stabilised, nobody wants to change it, that's the problem.
"We are having meetings and meetings and meetings, and everybody is trying to give some input, and we have a lot of freedom.
“We are also very concerned about what they are doing in F1, and what they have done in F1, especially about the cost issue.”
Prost stresses that in Formula E, at least for the time being, those involved have a common goal: “That's what I said in the last meeting together, we need to defend first the generic interest.
"Sometimes in F1 they really need to think about that. That's not a good quality of people in F1.”

Introducing Alex Lynn, one of Britain's brightest F1 prospects

WILLIAMS MARTINI RACING Development Driver Alex Lynn, has his first test for Williams in the FW37 at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona today.
The team's development driver is beginning the same journey undertaken by Valtteri Bottas before his race debut with the team in 2013. Alex is racing in the GP2 Series this season and scored his maiden victory in just the second round.

LOTUS F1 TEAM NOT FOR SALE SAYS CEO

Mad-Max-Lotus-750x500.jpg

The Lotus Formula One team is not for sale despite lingering speculation about former engine partner Renault’s intentions in the sport, chief executive Matthew Carter said on Thursday.
Lotus switched from Renault to Mercedes engines at the end of last season but won titles in 2005 and 2006 as the French manufacturer’s works team.
Renault, who won four championships in succession with Red Bull from 2010 to 2013, have had a rocky time since the switch in 2014 from V8 units to V6 turbo hybrids with Mercedes the dominant engine.
“I know that Renault are evaluating their role within F1 at the moment,” Carter told a sport’s business conference organised by the Daily Telegraph.
“I think they are from a fairly high level trying to decide whether they just make engines, whether they pull out of the sport altogether or whether they look at a works team. My shareholders have said quite specifically the team isn’t for sale,” he added.
Carter said Lotus had taken a ‘huge step’ in breaking with Renault to sign a deal with Mercedes until 2020 and would not be turning back.
1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Lotu
“I guess there’s a famous quote that everything’s for sale at a price but certainly shareholders have told me they don’t want to sell the team, they don’t want to give up their majority interest in the team,” he said.
“We believe that with a Mercedes power unit, we’ve given ourselves a chance to perform as we should do.”
Lotus are sixth in the championship after scoring 16 points from five races so far, with Frenchman Romain Grosjean scoring all of them while Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado has yet to open his account for 2014.

FORMULA 1 OF THE FUTURE HAS REFUELING AND FASTER CARS

Fale_F1_Monza_2004_73-750x497.jpg

Formula 1 is set to bring back refuelling in 2017 as part of a rules revamp that will also make the cars faster, louder and more aggressive looking.
The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement on Friday, a day after a meeting of the sport’s Strategy Group, that the aim was to make cars five to six seconds a lap quicker.
This will be achieved through aerodynamic rule changes, the use of wider tyres and making the cars lighter.
Engines will remain the current V6 turbo hybrids, introduced last year in place of the V8s, but they will be higher revving and noisier.
Refuelling, which was banned in 2010, will return with a maximum race fuel allowance.
For 2016, teams will be given a free choice of dry tyre compounds to use during the race weekend.
“This constructive meeting between the FIA, FOM (Formula One Management) and the teams has allowed paving the way for the future of the championship,” the governing body said.
“All parties agreed to work together with an intention to firm up these proposals and submit them to the approval of the F1 Commission and the World Motor Sport Council of the FIA as soon as possible for implementation.”
A proposal to increase the engine allocation from four to five per driver for the current season was rejected, as had been expected.
MIKA: REFUELLING IS BACK BABY, YES, YES, YESSSS!!!!!! perfect10.gif

KVYAT: I CAN SHOW MORE THAN THE RESULTS SUGGEST

Daniil-Kvyat-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-Quali

Under pressure Daniil Kvyat insists he is staying calm amid his troubled time after being promoted from Toro Rosso, where he impressed, to the Red Bull ‘senior’ team.
Before the 2015 season, the 21-year-old was a rising star of the sport, having earned graduation to the championship-winning Red Bull team within a single season.
The premier energy drink-owned outfit, however, is in deep crisis this year, and even the drivers are not being spared criticism.
“Kvyat lost two seconds each time he was lapping (another car),” the notoriously-demanding Helmut Marko, head of Red Bull’s driver programme, said after Spain. “Even his laptimes were not consistent.”
On the other hand, he described Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz, the latest juniors at the second team Toro Rosso, as exceptional.
Daniil-Kvyat-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-ogX-I
“Our so-called established guys need to look out,” Marko reportedly told Austrian media.
Kvyat has at least won the backing of his former Toro Rosso chief, Franz Tost, who says the Russian has been blessed with “the champion gene”.
He suggested Kvyat won his promotion to replace the Ferrari-bound Sebastian Vettel too soon.
“It takes time to mature in an F1 car,” Tost said. “That is why I say that I want to work with drivers for three years, and then hand them over.”
The Austrian also urged Kvyat to look away from the critical reports, “Yes, because it can distract and destabilise a young driver — and consumes time. I tell them to go to the fitness room instead!”
Christian-Horner-Daniil-Kvyat-F1-Grand-P
So, at the tender age of 21, Kvyat is having to prove himself as well as help Red Bull out of its trough.
“There are no miracles in formula one,” the young Russian is quoted by Speed Week. “We can only continue to work in peace and try as hard as possible.”
Currently, he has scored only 15 per cent of Red Bull’s points in 2015, and outqualified his experienced teammate Daniel Ricciardo only once in five races.
But Kvyat insists: “I’m not disappointed. And I don’t feel any frustration in the team, we just want to work our way out of trouble. The potential is there, and I also know that I can show more than the results suggest.”

STEWART: BERNIE WILL BE MISSED BUT HE WILL BE REPLACED

Sir-Jackie-Stewart-Goodwood-Festival-Spe

Formula 1 legend Jackie Stewart predicts that the Bernie Ecclestone will be replaced at the helm of the sport, despite the latter claiming recently that they would have to drag him from his desk to his grave.
Some blame many of F1’s problems on Bernie Ecclestone, the 84-year-old chief executive and ‘supremo’ who is notoriously wary of the age of digital and social media.
Stewart said: “Bernie has done more for F1 than anyone has done for any other sport. In football, who could you say has actually changed the sport? But no one is indispensible, and the next leader of F1 will maybe be even better.”
“Bernie is fantastic,” Stewart emphasised. “Look at the paddock — it’s perfect. And look at what he did for F1 financially. Bernie will be missed, but he will be replaced.”
Fernando Alonso, who tested Ayrton Senna’s old 1988 car recently, said this week he wishes he had raced in that era.
alonso-prueba-mclaren-senna-750x501.jpg
“The cars were more racy,” said the McLaren driver, “with big tyres, big engines and not many limitations in terms of creativity for the designers.”
Stewart who raced in the 60s and 70s, when abysmal safety measures and death were ever-present. But the 75-year-old said he is glad he did not have to race today’s grand prix cars.
“The last time I drove these modern cars was two years ago — a Williams at Goodwood,” he told Globo Esporte. “I didn’t like it.
“Naturally, I would have adapted to it eventually, but I had to first understand all of those buttons on the steering wheel, and then be guided on the radio by the team personnel.
“I believe driving the cars today is an immense challenge,” said Stewart, “but I don’t find it interesting. I like to drive fast cars, but this F1 is too complex.”
CCkEfQaWAAAhmr_-750x498.jpg
The cars are just one aspect of formula one today that Stewart says he would like to change. Another, said the Scot, is the “entertainment package”.
“F1 needs to improve its show,” he said. “In Bahrain, if you go behind the grandstands, there is music, dancing, areas for the family. You can eat Arabic food, American food, Indian food.
“We have to think more about attracting women and children. Look at football — today there are almost as many women as there are men.
“In the past, a man worked many hours a week, came home and told his wife he is going to the football. Now she can say she is coming along with the children.
“F1 has not thought about that,” said Stewart, “but I hope the new generation of sponsors see the need.”

TYRE WAR WOULD BE GOOD FOR FORMULA 1 CLAIMS COULTHARD

David-Coulthard-F1-Grand-Prix-Italy-Prac

David Coulthard thinks Formula 1 needs a ‘tyre war’ once again to spice up the show.
This week, the former F1 supplier Michelin revealed that its interest in working at the pinnacle of motor sport has returned.
But boss Pascal Couasnon laid down his conditions: no more heavily-degrading tyres for “the show”, a modern 18-inch profile, and a product that allows drivers to “show their talent”.
Immediately, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone backed the sport’s existing control tyre supplier Pirelli, who he says have done everything they were asked to deliver.
Gone now are Pirelli’s highly-controversial days of tyre explosions and questionable quality, with chief Paul Hembery declaring: “I think we have a good balance at the moment.”
He says the Italian brand will sign up for the 2017 tender process as long as “the sport is going forward”.
“Has life become easier now that we’re not the ‘bad boys’ to that extent anymore? There is always somebody complaining,” Hembery told F1’s official website.
“But don’t get me wrong, we do our job well and keep an eye on the ball, as this sport is changing rapidly. We must not become complacent.”
However, former F1 driver David Coulthard – who drove throughout the sport’s high-performance ‘tyre war’ days – said he sees no reason why Pirelli cannot now go head-to-head with Michelin.
“The bosses of the sport do not want a tyre war,” he told the BBC, “but I don’t understand why.
“As long as the boundaries were set out – no testing, limits on costs to teams – there is no reason why a tyre war would have to have cost implications,” said Coulthard.
He thinks that if two companies were competing for victory each weekend, the tyres would be “racier”.
“I have no doubt that, if challenged to do so, Pirelli could build much racier tyres,” said Coulthard.
In contrast, he argues, today’s tyres are too “sensitive”, requiring too much “management”, often resulting in processional races.
“The drivers I know who compete in the World Endurance Championship, where they use Michelin tyres, tell me that they push on every single lap through a 24-hour race,” said Coulthard.
“That’s great for them, but it used to be what I was doing when I drove in F1. Now … the times the drivers are completely on the limit during a grand prix are a small minority. Sometimes they never are,” he lamented.
MIKA: I keep saying for years now that we need the tyre wars back. We now have refuelling in 2017, why not the tyres also! 2thumbs.gif

MEXICAN GRAND PRIX TICKETS ALREADY SOLD OUT

sam26022011003047-750x497.jpg

Mexican Grand Prix tickets are already sold out, while other races – even key markets like Germany – have struggled to fill the grandstands, it is reported that a full house will congregate at Mexico City’s revamped Hermanos Rodriguez circuit in early November.
Auto Motor und Sport reported that “within hours” of tickets going on sale recently, they were all sold. Tickets are reportedly now appearing on the black market for up to $12,000.
Ferrari will be one beneficiary of Mexico’s renewed F1 obsession, as local Esteban Gutierrez is the reserve driver.
“I think that Esteban will be the star of the Mexican grand prix,” team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said recently. “Maybe we can give him the chance to do a few laps on Friday.”
Another Mexican, Sergio Perez, races for Force India.

Hamilton will 'make sure' he's first out

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Lewi

Undone by Nico Rosberg's antics in Monaco last season, this year Lewis Hamilton will have the choice of who goes first in qualifying.
Last year the Monte Carlo street race was the scene of one of several blow-ups between the Mercedes team-mates.
Out first in qualifying, Rosberg posted a 1:15.989 to put himself on provisional pole position.
But with one flying lap remaining, and Hamilton behind him on the track, the German got it wrong at Turn 5 which brought out the yellow flags.
The manouvre also ruined Hamilton's chances of taking pole position from his team-mate.
24 hours later, Rosberg raced to the Monaco GP victory - his second in succession - while Hamilton had to settle for second place.
This year, however, it could be very different as the Brit will have the choice of who is first out on track in qualifying.
Asked about the upcoming grand prix, Hamilton said: "I don't look at it as unfinished business - the last two years I have had the car to win.
"The first year I struggled with it, last year I had the pace but other things were up against me and this year hopefully will be different - third time lucky.
"This year I will have the choice to go ahead of him so I will make sure I do that.
"For me I'm not worried about last year, I'm just going there to win."
He added: "I haven't won there in a long time so I'm going to work hard to get the balance right."

Smedley refutes 'development myth'

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Rob_

Rob Smedley is adamant that beliefs in the paddock that Williams struggle to develop their cars is nothing but a myth.
Last Sunday in Spain, several of Williams rivals went into the race armed with massive upgrades especially Ferrari.
Williams in contrast only had a few and, while not able to challenge Sebastian Vettel, were at least able to keep Kimi Raikkonen behind Valtteri Bottas.
And Smedley says that's a clear sign that Williams understand what is needed to develop the car.
"There is a myth that has been circulating the paddock for about the last 18 months that Williams is not able to develop the car," the Williams Head of Vehicle Performance told Autosport.
"But I think that we have again proved the upgrades we have brought here, even though we didn't make a fanfare about it, have been good.
"We have got quite a lot more coming in the pipeline as well, including some development items in Monaco.
"It's a constant rate of upgrades and some are really healthy so it is a definite reason to be positive."
The Brit, who joined Williams from Ferrari at the start of the 2014 season, believes the Grove can looking ahead to a bright future.
"I'm very happy with how the team is operating," he added.
"I'm more comfortable than I've been since I joined the team.
"We've put together a very competent group now who operate very well and that's only getting better.
"It's quite a young group, in terms of experience so it hasn't fully matured in terms of how it is working together.
"If you look at the Red Bull group, they have been the same for a long time. The potential I see is good so I'm happy."

The death of independents moves a step closer

sauber-force-india-JSX0786.JPG

The FIA announced details from Thursday's F1 Strategy Group meeting in a press release on Friday afternoon, among the changes discussed are refuelling, wider tyres, louder and higher revving engines and more aggressive looking cars.
However the statement brushed over the important topic of cost cutting measures, which could prove key to the survival of a number of teams, most notably Sauber, Force India, Lotus and Manor.
It simply stated that "a comprehensive proposal to ensure the sustainability of the sport has emerged," but what exactly do they mean by this?
It actually relates to a proposal to provide independent or new teams with customer cars, rather than find a true answer to Formula 1's huge and often unsustainable budgets.
The memebrs of the Strategy Group (Ferrari, McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, Force India, the FIA and FOM) actually rejected proposals to reduce costs substantially, by, for example, reducing engine costs or banning wind tunnel use.
"Fundamentally, what is absolutely clear from it all is that the grey areas have been removed, that there will be no cost control initiatives brought in," explained Force India's Bob Fernley to Autosport.
"There won't be any consideration given to an equitable distribution of income, and the engines are not going to be reduced in cost."
Essentially the smaller teams have been told to find a way of surviving under the current rules, accept the use of a customer car, or exit the sport.
Mercedes' Toto Wolff described the "solution" as a way to ensure the survival of small teams in Formula 1.
"We need to find a way where the small teams can survive, and we don't want a situation where each of them is spending more than it earns," he said.
"The Strategy Group teams are prepared to offer a works-spec car to the other teams or potential new entrants."
But is it really good news for small independent manufacturers such as Williams, Sauber, Lotus and Force India?
It will likely mean a more competitive grid, as an extra two Mercedes, two Ferrari's, two McLaren's and two Red Bull's - albeit run under a different livery and name - will see the cars closer together in terms of pace.
Yet a grid full of customer cars isn't such a rosy proposal. They won't be allowed to beat their 'bigger brothers' and so will still be competing for second best.
It will also signal the death of the independent manufacturer. How can they compete against a grid full of manufacturer-backed cars on half the budget? That's something Fernley alluded to after the meeting.
"The difficulty you have, with the costs of Formula 1 constantly increasing, is that it makes it difficult to be competitive as a constructor.
"That's the issue, because at the end day there is a difference between competing and participating," he added.
"We are still not convinced the customer car idea is the right route, but obviously that is the way it's going to go now.
"So we either have to adjust accordingly to ensure we stay as a constructor, or we embrace the customer car process in time."
A decision as to when to implement the use of customer cars hasn't been announced, but it's likely to happen within the next three years.