FORMULA 1 - 2015

FORMULA 1 DRIVERS TO LAUNCH GLOBAL FAN SURVEY

F1-fans-750x500.jpg

Formula 1 drivers are to ask fans worldwide for their opinions in what they are billing as the most thorough survey ever carried out by any sport.
A statement by the Grand Prix Drivers Association (GPDA) said the initiative will be formally presented on Thursday in the Monaco paddock by directors Jenson Button, Sebastian Vettel and Alex Wurz.
“With the GPDA Global Fan Survey, the grand prix drivers aim to create the most extensive, in-depth survey of fan opinion ever undertaken by any sport in the world,” it added.
GPDA chairman Wurz told Reuters earlier this month that the drivers wanted to give more back to their fans, at a time of change when unfavourable comparisons are being made with other series.
“To make sure this sport remains at the pinnacle and gets ever more popular, we would like to engage more with the fans,” said the Austrian, a former Formula One driver who now competes in the world endurance championship and is a two-times Le Mans winner.
“I hope it’s cool. The fans will tell us if they like it or not and that’s what we want…we want to give a little bit back and communicate with the people who love the sport equally to us,” he added.
Formula One has a reputation for being exclusive and inaccessible compared to series like the world endurance championship, where fans have much more access to the paddock and drivers during race weekends.
The sport has also been through major change, with the introduction of V6 turbo hybrid engines last season, and more upheaval to come.
The sport’s key Strategy Group announced after a meeting last week that a proposal to reintroduce refuelling during races had been put forward for 2017, as well as moves to make cars quicker, louder and more aggressive looking.
The changes have yet to be approved by the governing body’s Formula One commission and World Motor Sport Council, with mixed views already about refuelling which was banned in 2010 for reasons of cost and safety.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

PEREZ AN UNPROFESSIONAL SLOB SAYS FORMER BOSS

Peter-M%C3%BCcke-750x502.jpg

One of Sergio Perez’s former team chiefs has slammed the Mexican driver, claiming that during his junior days the current Force India driver was an unprofessional slob.
Peter Mucke (pictured above) is a well-known name in the formative classes of motor racing, having paved the road to F1 for stars including Sebastian Vettel, Robert Kubica and many others. In 2006, Mucke ran Perez – now with Force India – in Formula BMW.
“Already then, Sergio showed that he has talent. That is beyond dispute,” he told Spox publication. “But his approach was totally unprofessional. I’ve rarely worked with a slob like him.”
“His apartment in Berlin looked like a battlefield. He wrecked my rental car when he came home drunk from a party. He did everything you cannot do.”
“Always in the background was his Mexican sponsor,” said Mucke, referring to Perez’s ongoing backing by Carlos Slim and Telmex. “Sergio didn’t need to worry that the money would end. He knew it would keep coming. That was the key.”
“He never would have reached the top if not for that money. With his talent alone, he would have been out after that one year in BMW.”
Mucke said the antithesis to Perez’s approach was the one taken by Sebastian Vettel, who also drove for the Berlin-based junior outfit.
“Definitely. He was very different,” he said, referring to the quadruple world champion and Ferrari driver. “If the day starts at 8am, some drivers are rubbing sleep from their eyes at 8.05.”
“But Seb was always up at 6, has jogged for half an hour and has his head in gear at your door. And I didn’t tell him, it was all his own initiative. That makes all the difference,” Mucke added.

HILL WARNS HAMILTON NOT TO UNDERESTIMATE ROSBERG

F1-Grand-Prix-of-China-uh6Ws1My-oDx-750x

Damon Hill has advised fellow Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton to keep his eye on the ball, and not underestimate title rival and teammate Nico Rosberg.
A year after the Mercedes driver’s controversial run-in with Rosberg in Monaco, Hamilton has reportedly vowed to “go out first at the end of qualifying” to avoid a repeat incident, Telegraph correspondent Daniel Johnson reported.
Rosberg managed to end Hamilton’s run of poles and wins recently in Barcelona, and another win this weekend will be a Monaco hat-trick for the German.
Hill, the 1996 title winner, thinks a lack of focus might have hurt Hamilton’s form in Spain.
“Nico went home (after Bahrain) and said, ‘right, I’m not having any more of this’ and focused on the next job,” the Briton and former Williams driver told Express newspaper. “But look at the schedule Lewis indulged in between Bahrain and that race.”
Indeed, we reported recently that, between Bahrain and Spain, Hamilton clocked up thousands of miles in his private jet, skipping from Monaco to London, Mallorca to Monza, Los Angeles to New York before returning to the UK and Spain.
Hill said: “Even with someone with an abundance of talent like Lewis, to be absolutely at the sharp end you cannot afford to give anything away to someone like Nico. You should never underestimate your competitors,” he insisted.
“He is on target to become one of the most successful racing drivers. It’s whether you want to dedicate yourself to that task and play afterwards,” he added.

ISSUE RESOLVED SO RIVOLA BACK TO WORK AT FERRARI

massimo-rivola-750x499.jpg

Ferrari sporting director Massimo Rivola has returned to work after missing the recent Spanish grand prix, amid speculation he had been suspended or dismissed over an internal team scandal.
“He needed a week off and we gave it to him,” was all team boss Maurizio Arrivabene would say in Barcelona.
However, Rivola – who moved to Ferrari from Toro Rosso in 2009 – was also linked with a switch to McLaren or Audi.
But Leo Turrini, the well-known Ferrari insider and blogger, reports that Rivola, 43, is now back to work and will be trackside this weekend in Monaco.
“I am glad the issue is resolved,” Turrini wrote on his Quotidiano blog.
“Good luck to Massimo,” he added, “and a warm greeting to those with, at times, an excess of imagination.”
MIKA: Woah, is it just me or does Rivola look alot like Jeremy Renner? lol3.gif

LOTUS ANNOUNCE SENTURION PARTNERSHIP

e7f478b8-4de9-4f7f-b228-9e3192f0e786-750

Press Release: Lotus F1 Team is proud to announce a partnership at the Monaco Grand Prix with Senturion which will see the wearable technology brand represented on the engine covers of Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado’s Lotus F1 Team E23 Hybrids as well as Senturion technology being utilised by senior team personnel.
Federico Gastaldi, Deputy Team Principal, Lotus F1 Team: “Formula One is all about being the very best and at Lotus F1 Team we are proud to align ourselves with the finest brands in their respective fields. With Senturion we believe we have found a partner which encapsulates this and we are very much looking forward to working with them to achieve their goals. Formula One is also the pinnacle of innovation and as a new brand carrying advanced technology we think Senturion aligns perfectly with Lotus F1 Team.”
Katherine Hounsome, Senturion Spokesperson: “Senturion is at the forefront of luxury technology and style, our bracelets synchronise with supercars, acting as their keys and there’s no greater supercar in the world than a Formula One car. We are delighted to partner with the Lotus F1 Team, who throughout their fantastic history have always shown to share our core values of the never ending pursuit of both innovation and perfection. The partnership is of strategic importance to Senturion as we share Lotus F1 Team’s commitment to being the best in its field and are always dedicated to creating outstanding pieces for our clients.”

MERCEDES PREVIEW THE MONACO GRAND PRIX

hamilton-rosberg-750x501.jpg

The 2015 Formula One World Championship season continues with Round Six, the Monaco Grand Prix, held at the Circuit de Monaco.
Lewis Hamilton: “I didn’t have the best weekend in Barcelona, so to come away with second was okay in terms of damage limitation and it meant another great result for the team with the one-two. I’m now fully focused on Monaco – the race that everybody looks forward to and one I particularly love. It’s the biggest challenge of the year for a driver and, when you get it right, that feeling is hard to beat. Building a rhythm right from the beginning of practice is so important, as you really need to feel your way into the circuit. You have to be inch perfect at every point, as the slightest slip can ruin your weekend. It’s about pure driving skill and pure bravery behind the wheel, which for me is what makes it so special. Like Spain, it’s another circuit where I haven’t had the best of luck in the past – but I’m not interested in what’s been and gone or in making any predictions. I’m just here to get in this fantastic car we have, race it hard and give it everything I’ve got, like always.”
Nico Rosberg: “We had a perfect weekend in Spain and, for me personally, it was good to close the gap a little in the points. There’s still a long way to go this season so it’s all there to fight for, I’m just taking it race by race. Next we have Monaco – the most legendary, exciting and challenging event in the calendar. Throughout the whole weekend, the atmosphere is very, very special. It’s a home race for me and it’s strange to just walk or take a scooter to the racetrack – but also very cool to sleep in your own bed each night! The circuit itself has very unique setup characteristics and we evaluated a few of those during the test in Barcelona, as the last sector there has a lot of tight corners which are quite representative. The car felt very good so I’m feeling optimistic and ready for this next race. If we can have everything running smoothly from the start it should be a good weekend, so I’m really looking forward to it.”
Toto Wolff, Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport” “Barcelona was a great weekend and the drivers did a perfect job in the race. We saw the advantage swing between them last year and I think we will see more of that in 2015. They are mentally tough, resilient and hate to lose – they push each other all the time to lift their performance and that lifts the performance of the whole team. We saw in Spain that our car had a good advantage in the tight third sector, so we head to Monaco with some optimism. But there is no point talking about any gap to the opposition. You have to earn every advantage and it can turn around very quickly if you’re not on top of your game – especially in Monaco. It’s a challenging weekend for the team, the drivers and the car – and, of course, the best showcase for the sport of Formula One. To be quick on Sunday, you need a smooth weekend with lots of track time, so the drivers can get dialled into the track and really attack the limits. We will need to be at our best if we want to maintain our good form.”
Paddy Lowe, Executive Director (Technical): “Monaco is a unique event. It’s a long weekend, with running beginning on the Thursday and no running on Friday. The race itself is one which frequently nudges the two hour limit, despite being the shortest of the season distance-wise at 260km as opposed to the standard 300km. The tight and twisting nature of the circuit makes it comparatively slow in terms of absolute speed. For the drivers, however, it’s anything but slow – with no real point at which they can relax their attention as they constantly trying to avoid the next barrier whilst making regular adjustments on the steering wheel and pushing the car as hard as possible. It’s highly demanding on the car, too, with a lot of gear changes and a bumpy surface to contend with. We’ll also see the supersoft compound for the first time this season – although even that will be a challenge in terms of getting temperature into the tyre. We’ve had a good car at Monaco in the past two seasons and this year’s model remains strong in low-speed corners. It’s a real driver’s circuit and we should be set for an exciting intra-team battle throughout the weekend. Overtaking is extremely difficult, so nailing a good lap in qualifying will be crucial.”

TORO ROSSO DRIVERS PREVIEW THE MONACO GRAND PRIX

Verstappen-sainz-750x498.jpg

Toro Rosso drivers preview the Monaco Grand Prix, Round 6 of the 2015 Formula 1 world championship.
Carlos Sainz: “Monaco is definitely one of the highlights of the racing year for any driver. It’s a special sort of track where you always want to show that you are fast, because it’s a very challenging circuit where the driver can make the difference. I’ve had some very positive results there in the past in the World Series and it’s a track I like a lot. However, this will be my first time driving there in a Formula 1 car and I imagine it will feel very different to what I’ve experienced there before. It will all be about the qualifying session, which in some ways is the most important moment of the race weekend. So you really need to find the right balance with the car during free practice and then put together a good lap. I’m looking forward to Saturday very much therefore, because I can imagine that getting a good lap in qualifying must feel like something really special.”
Max Verstappen: “A street circuit is always special. I’ve never driven at this track before but I have driven at Macau, which I reckon is a very challenging street circuit. I enjoyed the experience there and so I’m looking forward to Monaco. It will need a different approach and you can’t just attack it in the first free practice session, you need to build up to it gradually. The important thing is to do as many laps as possible. I’ve driven it on the simulator and what strikes you is that it is quite slow. Even if engine power will be less important here, you do need the best possible driveability to come from the engine. I expect the lap times between the teams to be much closer than in some other races. In the end, set-up changes won’t make the biggest difference. It’s more a case of what you as a driver can get out of yourself. In Monaco, I think it will be more likely to get an extra 2 tenths out of yourself than from something you do to the car.”

Kimi: Every year I'm getting kicked out

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Kimi

Kimi Raikkonen is once again being forced to answer questions about his Formula 1 future, much to his amusement.
After playing second fiddle to former Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso last year, the Finn constantly had to deal with speculation about whether or not he will remain at the team this season.
Alonso ended up leaving the Scuderia and Raikkonen is partnering four-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel this campaign.
However, he is once again second best at Ferrari as Vettel has won one race and appeared on the podium another three times compared to the Finn's one top-three finish.
It has once again led to reports that he could leave the Italian outfit when his contract expires at the end of this year with his compatriot Valtteri Bottas from Williams named as a possible replacement.
Asked about his future and reports linking Bottas to his seat, he replied: "Who knows? Even though we are both Finns, we don’t know each other so well.
"You will have to ask Ferrari what they’re going to do but very certain what will happen and obviously it seems to be every year or every team I am in, it seems I’m being kicked out or a new contract or whatever. I’m not worried about it at all so time will tell, for sure."

Grosjean set for grid penalty

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Roma

Romain Grosjean's Monaco Grand Pirx is off to a bad start before he even managed to get into his car.
The Lotus driver has been forced to change his gearbox following problems at the Spanish Grand Prix last time out and that will result in an automatic five-place grid penalty.
The Frenchman finished eighth at the Barcelona event, but revealed afterwards that he lost fourth gear while out on track, and the team have decided to change his gearbox.
It means Grosjean, who is currently eighth in the standings with 16 points, is set for a difficult Sunday as overtaking opportunities are very limited on the street circuit in Monte Carlo.

Button 'exaggerated' McLaren woes

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Jens

Jenson Button admits his emotions got the better of him after the Spanish Grand Prix when he gave a downcast view about McLaren's prospects for the rest of 2015.
The 2009 World Champion finished 16th in Barcelona while his team-mate Fernando Alonso was forced to retire, but after weeks of positive predictions Button told the media "I don't think I expect points at all this year" adding that the car was "pretty scary to drive".
However, he has had some time to reflect after taking part in testing at the same venue last week and he is feeling a lot more upbeat.
"As you might have noticed I was very outspoken," he said. "When emotions are running high you always exaggerate things. It was a tough race for me in Barcelona but it was good to have the test three days later to put everything right. And we did, the car felt much nicer to drive, much more consistent, especially on the long run pace, plus we had some parts to test for this season and specifically for here.
"It was a good test, I really ended the test happy and you can really see how far we have come since February, as a team but especially Honda and the Japanese side of the team. There was so much more confidence within and I'm really happy to complete the amount of laps we did but also to do a lot of very useful work. It was a really good day and hopefully we can carry that through to this weekend."

Alonso: 'Formula 1 has been going in the wrong direction'

octane-alonso-9876543.jpg

Fernando Alonso has spoken out against Formula 1's current regulations, claiming the sport has been "going in the wrong direction", and the move to shake things up in 2017 is proof of that.
F1 bosses collectively agreed to introduce a raft of changes aimed at making the cars faster by between "five and six seconds a lap", believing this will reinvigorate the sport and draw viewers back.
Alonso backs these changes, claiming modern cars are much too slow when compared to the machinery he drove and won two titles in during the 2005 and 2006 seasons.
"If they happen, we will get rules like seven or eight years ago," he said on Wednesday. "For the last four or five years we've been going in the wrong direction.
"They [cars in 2006] were eight seconds quicker," added the 33-year-old. "The engineers did some calculations. The winner of Malaysia this year would have been lapped six times by the winner of Malaysia in 2006.
"So when you are eight seconds a lap quicker, that is very demanding physically and mentally and everything was pushed to the limit."
Alonso is hopeful that future changes to make the cars "the quickest in the world" will help boost F1's popularity amid dwindling race fans and television audiences.
"We cannot run one second quicker than GP2 cars because the grandstands are empty," he said. "It is a sign it was not going in the right direction.
"Hopefully now it is a good change and we can see the fastest cars in the world in the future."

Mixed opinion amongst drivers over refuelling return

press-conf-monaco-octane1271CB1L9349.jpg

The announcement that refuelling would return in 2017 split fans, with roughly half commenting that they supported the proposal, whilst the remainder believed it was a step backwards.
It seems the drivers too are undecided, though the majority back its return amongst a raft of other changes.
When asked to answer yes or no in response to the question, 'Would you like to see refuelling return', only Marcus Ericsson was against its return.
"I like it as it is now," the Sauber driver replied, though it's worth noting he never raced during the refuelling period, which is the same for Valtteri Bottas. However the Finn is more open to the idea: "I've never tried refuelling so maybe it would be nice to try," he added.
Those who did race during the last refuelling period, which ended in 2010, were also open to its return, with McLaren's Jenson Button supporting it on a racing basis, but not a safety or cost point of view.
"You obviously have the safety aspect – the reason we went away from refuelling – and also the money, the cost," he noted.
"In terms of racing, I think it was great, back in the day when we had refuelling. If you had an issue on lap one, you could change your race around, you could do something different – whereas now it's very difficult…"
Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen both responded with a simple "yes", whilst Romain Grosjean added: "Don't care."

Massa warns against too much downforce in 2017 rules

Felipe-Massa--007.jpg

Felipe Massa has expressed doubts about plans to increase downforce levels in Formula 1 as part of a push to towards faster cars in the sport’s proposed 2017 regulations.

As well as the re-introduction of refuelling and the adoption of wider tyres, changing the aerodynamic rules was agreed upon at last week’s Strategy Group meeting as a way of reducing lap times by as much as five to six seconds.
But Massa has stressed that such a step should be taken with caution, warning that increasing downforce too dramatically could have a detrimental impact on the quality of the racing.
Asked about the Strategy Group's target of quicker lap times, the Williams driver said: “Maybe five to six seconds is a little bit too much.
“For sure we want to go as fast as we can, but we want competition as well. I remember before when we had a lot of downforce, maybe you didn't even see overtaking in the race.
“This is the only doubt that we need to understand; that they still keep the challenge in a good way.
f1-smedley-massa-williams-inline.jpg
Refuelling a positive
The Brazilian is keen, however, on the revival of refuelling, as well as plans to allow teams to select their own tyre compounds from Pirelli’s range from next season.
“I like the idea of refuelling because the race is quicker, the car is quicker,” said Massa when asked by Motorsport.com.
“We race with a very heavy car and the race is very technical today. It used to be a lot nicer for the driving point of view.
“Plus for the teams to choose the tyres, we can see a change because of that. The teams that don't have a good car they will choose, and they will risk.
“Maybe it can change [the order] a little bit, especially in qualifying, because the team has quicker tyres for qualifying, and maybe they can go back in the race.”

Nasr admits lack of downforce holding Sauber back

Felipe-Nasr-Sauber-2015-F1-testing-Barce

Felipe Nasr says that Sauber’s main limitation is a lack of downforce, and that the team won’t have any major updates on its car until after the summer break.

The Hinwil-based squad has enjoyed a strong start to the season, lying ahead of several better funded rivals in the constructors' standings, but struggled last time out at Barcelona, a circuit that places a premium on downforce.
Nasr has singled this out as the team's biggest weakness ahead of this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, also adding that the team is waiting on an upgrade package due in time for August's race at Spa.
"Our main limitation is still the aero side – we are limited on downforce as we have the same package as the beginning of the year," said the Brazilian.
"It's clear that Barcelona is a very demanding track for downforce. Toro Rosso were 24km/h was quicker than us in Turn 3, for example, and then you start wearing the tyres a lot more because you are sliding.
"What I hear is that we are waiting on big updates after the [summer] break, major updates on the bodywork that will hopefully give more downforce.
Nasr added that the Sauber is more competitive in slow-speed corners, a useful trait around the tight and twisty streets of Monaco.
"The car is not too bad in slow-speed corners; we seem to have stability, so we're more competitive in those corners than in high-speed."

Monaco's new Swimming Pool apex “still a challenge”

formula-e-monaco-eprix-2015-new-kerbing-

Formula 1 drivers will still face a huge challenge through the revised Swimming Pool complex at Monaco, despite safety changes made for this year's race.

As reported earlier this month, tweaks have been made to the exit of the complex – Turns 15 and 16 – by pulling the barrier inwards and replacing it with a kerb.
While the change caused some issues at the recent Formula E event, when bollards seated in the kerbs kept getting knocking off, those problems will not be repeated this weekend because the cones will not be used.
Although the removal of the barrier at the apex means that drivers have more margin for error, former F1 drivers who have raced there think it is still just as hard to get right.
Vitantonio Liuzzi told Motorsport.com: “Yes it is definitely still a challenge there, even though it is a slightly different line and trajectory.
“You still have to find a good way to turn the car in with a lot of understeer.
“In the Formula E car, because it is so heavy, you find it harder to stop the car with the momentum all the way from the chicane area.
“I still think it is the toughest part of the circuit and you can gain quite a bit still and honestly touching the walls a lot at Monaco is a myth. You might do it a few times and get away with it but generally it is not worth the risk.”
Still a big spectacle
Bruno Senna thinks that the changes will not make a dramatic difference – and most importantly will still look good for spectators.
“I think in F1 it will still be a big spectacle,” he said. “The exit kerbs don’t seem so different to me but for the F1 it could see them having a slightly easier time in balancing the car and getting traction for the following section.”
As well as the tweaks to the barriers at the Swimming Pool, resurfacing work has been carried out at various points of the track.
The track has also been re-aligned slightly at Tabac.

Monaco GP - Sebastian Vettel

“There is so much tradition associated with the Monaco street circuit, where you race down very narrow roads, with no margin for error. You have to maintain total concentration all the time and give 100 percent on your qualifying lap, because overtaking in the race is almost impossible.”

Nico Hulkenberg disappointed with Formula 1 career progression

jm1421se121.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg admits his Formula One career has not progressed as he had hoped, but believes there could still be an opportunity to move up the grid in the future.

Hulkenberg has competed in five seasons in Formula One - with one year out in 2011 when he was a Force India reserve driver - but has yet to score a podium and has been stuck in midfield cars. This year Force India has slid backwards down the grid and has not yet brought updates to the car, making points even harder to come by.
"It is a bit of a disappointment that I am not where I want to be," he said. "I want to be in a car that is capable of winning and then fighting for a title. If you live in that thought then it won't help. You have to keep working and look forward.
"A lot about it is timing. The driver market, there are a lot of good drivers around that have taken up good seats, then there are only a few numbers available. I would like to think there is an opportunity for me, but the future will tell."
After finishing 15th at the last round in Spain, Hulkenberg is hoping for a better result in Monaco this weekend.
"I think it looks a little bit more friendly. Having soft tyres here, I think is also in our favour but if your base performance isn't good enough, then it isn't good enough everywhere. That is what we need to work on and what we are working on right now.
"The team is producing the updates as we speak but it will take a while before it hits the car, so it is still going to be tricky and a challenge, but Monaco always has special challenges and maybe you can make a bit more of a difference as a driver or the conditions are a bit special."

Management must give Valtteri Bottas the chance to be world champion - Mika Hakkinen

Valtteri-Bottas.jpg

Mika Hakkinen says it is up to Valtteri Bottas' management team to give his fellow Finn the chance to become world champion as he continues to be linked with a Ferrari drive.

Bottas does not have a contract with Williams beyond this current season and rumours before the Spanish Grand Prix suggested he has already signed a pre-agreement to replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari in 2016 or 2017. Bottas denied the link in Spain but said his management is in control of his future.
Hakkinen, world champion in 1998 and 1999, suggested the decision they make on his future will have a bearing on whether he lives up to his billing as a future world champion.
motor_mika.jpg
"Valtteri's manager Didier Coton has already given an answer in Barcelona so I don't want to add anything else to this," Hakkinen said in a recent Q and A for sponsor Hermes when asked about Bottas currently having no contract beyond 2015. "Valtteri's job is everything that has to do with his work as a driver to be successful. It is the job of the managers to make sure of things off the track so that Valtteri has a chance to become a world champion one day."
Hakkinen pointed to Bottas' drive in Spain, where he held off Raikkonen's Ferrari for fourth, as evidence of his talent.
"In addition to his fantastic driving skills, he has really strong nerves. His style differs from the other drivers in an interesting way. It is not especially pleasant to drive behind him. He can bring the car out of the curve so that he can just reach the distance for the next. Valtteri made no errors so there was no chance for Kimi to overtake at all."

MONACO THE REMINDER THAT FORMULA 1 IS AT ITS BEST WHEN ITS RAW AND EXTREME

monacoyachtlaurence103.jpg

Predictably the F1 paddock in Monaco is abuzz with discussions about the future rules for F1, with the proposed return of refuelling appealing to older drivers while some, like Fernando Alonso, openly saying that the sport has been “on the wrong track” for the last few years.
Tomorrow, the GP Drivers’ Association launches its global fan survey, asking fans for their views on the ideas being proposed for 2017 and to contribute others of their own. But the GPDA’s Jenson Button admitted that the drivers have yet to be asked to contribute to the discussion. This survey is their gentle way of remaining the sport not only to listen to its fans, but also to listen to them.
alonso_monaco_01.jpg
There are some strong views among drivers; Alonso admitted that his views are probably “too radical” to be considered suitable by the rule makers, but he pointed to the fact that in Malaysia this year, a circuit which has changed little since its introduction in 1999, the fastest lap this year of 1m 42.062 was almost eight seconds slower than Alonso’s fastest race lap in 2006 of 1m 34.803s and observed that the cars were barely faster than the GP2 feeder series cars today.
Asked if he felt that the sport was on the wrong track, Alonso said it had been so for a number of years and “the proof is by looking at the grandstands”.
Meanwhile in the press conference Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen and Button, all of whom raced in the previous refuelling era, said that they would welcome a return to that format of racing.
pitlanfire.jpg
But unpredictable racing, where cars pass each other in the pit lane, rather than on track, is not the same as wheel to wheel and there has certainly been more of that in the last few years than there ever was in the mid 2000s. What is the objective? Is it close racing and overtaking, or strategy-led unpredictability?
F1 engineers say they will need to know by August what the technical regulations are for 2017 in order to set in process the work needed to re-imagine the F1 car. But the likelihood of getting an agreed set of proposals by then is quite remote and there are plenty of other things going on behind the scenes – with possible EU investigations into the sport’s contracts with participants, discussions over shareholders in the F1 business, when they exit and how they get their money back – to distract teams and those close to the top.
Perhaps what will end up happening is the bigger picture will drive the rule making process rather than the other way around.
So is today’s agenda just talk, as Formula 1 maintains a holding pattern while the money matters are resolved? Quite possibly.
The news of Lewis Hamilton’s contract dominated the agenda today, but not for long, as it was not unexpected.
Walking around the streets, tens of thousands of people, getting close to the action, bumping into Hamilton as he makes his way from garage to paddock through public areas.
jenson_flag.jpg
What Monaco does remind us of, with its slightly chaotic organisation, the fans mingling with teams in the pit lane when the roads are open, is the magic of what F1 can be; this extreme, unreasonable pursuit of driving impossibly fast cars around a race track, drivers being paid millions to live the dream and everyone coming within touching distance of that magic.
Monaco is a metaphor for what F1 can be at its best and the sport’s powerbrokers should get out there and feel the atmosphere this weekend to remind themselves of it.
Bring back the visceral and the raw, the glamourous, the dangerous and the extreme and you have the real F1; a product that will fill the stands – providing the ticket prices can be brought under control too as part of the process – and have a strong future.

VETTEL: WE CANNOT BE HAPPY WITH THE GAP IN FRONT

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Pr

Ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix the Ferrari team were upbeat about their upgrade package which they believed would chip away at the gap between themselves and pace setting Mercedes, but the Reds left Barcelona with their tales between their legs and Sebastian Vettel admitted the team did not deliver as expected.
Vettel reflected during his media session ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix weekend, “In Barcelona we expected to be closer and of course we cannot be happy with the gap in front, while I’m reasonably happy with the result. We made some step forward but for some reason we under performed.”
Despite the apparent ineffectiveness of the parts bolted on for Spain, the Maranello outfit is persevering with the direction of the upgrades and are hoping that they will bear fruit on the twists and turns of the Monaco streets.
Sebastian-Vettel-Spanish-F1-Grand-Prix-L
“We are confident this is the right way to go and we decide to keep the new parts in the car,” revealed Vettel. “We try to understand as much as possible from all the data we collect in the test so that we can try here something if we still have some doubts and then we will see where we are.”
Vettel, and Ferrari, have looked capable of challenging Mercedes this season, and scored a famous win in Malaysia earlier this year to signal their intent. The four times F1 world champion is also hoping that the driver can make a difference at the most demanding of grand prix circuits.
“Monaco is a very challenging track, We know that here qualifying is very important you have to do the perfect lap otherwise the Sunday can be difficult. Compared to other track, I feel the driver can still make the difference to some extent.”
“Clearly we are not the favourites here, but there’s always a chance for something to happen, and we have a car that is working generally everywhere,” added Vettel who will start his 144th grand prix this weekend and aiming for his 41st victory at the pinnacle of the sport

ROSBERG: LEWIS IS AWESOME DRIVER AND A GREAT CHALLENGE TO BEAT

Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-Australian-F

Nico Rosberg has welcomed the prospect of having double world champion Lewis Hamilton as his Mercedes teammate for years to come, even if he recognised their Formula One rivalry would always be ‘complicated’.
Speaking after Mercedes announced a three-year contract extension on Wednesday that will keep Hamilton at the sport’s dominant team until at least 2018, the German congratulated the Briton.
“It’s great. We have a great battle, that’s what racing is about, battles like that,” he said.
“At the moment It’s a mutual relationship and also it’s working OK between us. We are really pushing each other…to higher levels all the time,” said the German, who agreed his own multi-year extension last July.
rosberg-hamilton-750x500.jpg
“It’s a complicated battle because it is internal,” he added. “We have to think about the team at the same time as thinking about beating each other. It is always going to be complicated.
“Both of us want to win so there are ups and downs, and there’s always going be another down or so, but at the moment it’s OK.”
Rosberg took the title battle to the wire last season, despite Hamilton winning 11 races to his five, and is again the Briton’s closest rival.
The pair were teammates in their teens but their friendly relationship underwent a real test last year.
They were barely on speaking terms after Monaco last year, when Rosberg denied Hamilton pole with an error that brought out warning flags just as the Briton was set to go faster, and collided in Belgium.
Asked whether he might want to renegotiate his own contract, with Hamilton reported to be set for stratospheric earnings, the German – who is chasing his third successive Monaco victory – smiled.
“I am very happy with my contract. I haven’t seen the numbers and I don’t know anything about them,” he said. “I doubt you are going to get anywhere close to the real figure and I know that from experience.
“I really enjoy the challenge of racing Lewis, I always have because he is an awesome driver and it is a great challenge to try to beat him. And to beat him.”
Rosberg said he had not expected Hamilton to go anywhere else, despite rumours of Ferrari interest.
“There is no better place to be than Mercedes,” he said. “This is the best team in F1 and probably will be for many years.”

WILLIAMS PREVIEW THE MONACO GRAND PRIX

79P8818-750x498.jpg

Unofficially Formula 1’s biggest race, winning the Monaco Grand Prix earns a driver respect like no other. At little over two miles, the shortest lap on the calendar is also one of the most challenging.
To drive on the absolute limit for two hours, persisting with lines not more than inches from the barriers without conceding a single mistake, is a task former Williams driver Nelson Piquet once compared to trying to race a bicycle around your living room.
It’s not by chance that some of the sport’s greatest names, such as Graham Hill, Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher were masters of the principality. Williams’ last victory in Monte Carlo was delivered by Juan Pablo Montoya in 2003.
Rob Smedley: “We have come out of the Spanish Grand Prix in a positive position and continue the European leg of the season with a lot of optimism. In Barcelona we were quick in the parts of the track that are akin to Monaco, so are hoping for a decent weekend. It’ so important to get the drivers in the car and running at a track like Monaco because rhythm is important, so Thursday practice will be important. The track isn’t the best suited to our car’s core characteristics, but from what we saw in terms of balance in Spain we are optimistic.”
Valtteri Bottas: “As a Monaco resident I see the track being built and the grandstands going up in the weeks ahead of the race and the anticipation starts to build. Witnessing the whole build up and then the roads forming into iconic racing corners is a very strange but cool experience. It’s not the easiest race on the calendar but that challenge makes it a thrilling circuit to drive – for me it’s the most special race of the year. The first year I drove here I found it challenging so it’s nice to go into the race with some experience under my belt already.”
Felipe Massa: “With the Monaco Grand Prix I get to see the whole process of how a Formula One race comes together way before the fans get there, which is something I would never normally witness. It’s a one off race, especially as I can walk to the track in the morning from home. It’s a long, special but important race and I hope we can have a strong weekend. Although I prefer longer faster circuits like Spa and Monza, nothing can take away from the thrill of the streets of Monaco. Your first thought is to qualifying well, and from there to make sure that you finish the race. If you do that then you are in with a chance of getting some really good points.”

SAUBER PREVIEW THE MONACO GRAND PRIX

Marcus-Ericsson-F1-Grand-Prix-Malaysia-Q

This race weekend is different to every other one on the calendar. Tradition is everything there. The Monaco Grand Prix, the sixth round of the FIA Formula 1 Championship, is not only the most prestigious, but also a unique Grand Prix.
In the principality the focus for the street circuit will be on high downforce, mechanical grip, and, of course, the drivers’ skills, rather than only engine power. The Sauber F1 Team and its drivers, Marcus Ericsson and Felipe Nasr, look forward to this special event.
Besides the action on the race track during the weekend in Monte Carlo, Monisha Kaltenborn, Team Principal and CEO of the Sauber F1 Team, will receive the Jean Sage Memorial Award for her contribution to the Grand Prix Drivers Club.
Marcus Ericsson: “The Monaco Grand Prix is one of the highlights of the season. This street track is a kind of unique place, as it is quite different to other circuits on our calendar. If you are feeling confident in the car you can extract the most out of your skills and the car’s perfomance. It will be crucial, especially for the race, to find a good rhythm from corner to corner and from lap to lap. In previous racing series I have had some strong races in Monaco, so I am looking forward to a positive weekend.“
Felipe Nasr: “Monaco is one of the nicest tracks on the calendar, and at the same time the Grand Prix is a very traditional one. It is a track that is very demanding in all areas. From the driver’s side, you need to feel confident in the car to push it to the limit. There are a few things which are important for a good lap time: Good braking stability, traction, as well a generally stable car. Over the days we also need to keep an eye on the grip evolution. All in all I am looking forward to racing in Monaco surrounded by a great atmosphere.”
Giampaolo Dall’Ara, Head of Track Engineering: “The race in the narrow streets of Monte Carlo divides opinion as some love it and some don’t, yet everyone finds it fascinating and challenging. It is a real challenge for the drivers, who need to be handed a very precise, stable and smooth car. In order to be fast they’re forced to drive it millimeters away from the barriers. Overtaking is almost impossible, therefore, a good grid position significantly boosts the chances for the race. It is also a challenge for the engineers, who have to deal with issues they seldom encounter, and to the mechanics and support crew, who are forced to work in untypical conditions regarding logistics. It’s less of a challenge to the tyre supplier given that the tarmac is not abrasive, so Pirelli has allocated the appropriate soft and supersoft compounds. The closeness of the fans and the atmosphere around the harbour make it a highlight of the season.”