FORMULA 1 - 2015

GPDA and Motorsport.com Launch Global Fan Survey

general-motorsport-com-team-2015-gpda-su

Formula 1 fans are welcomed to voice their opinions about the sport in global fan survey.

The Grand Prix Drivers’ Association (GPDA) and Motorsport.com have joined forces to enable followers of the FIA Formula 1 World Championship to voice their opinions about the sport in an in-depth global fan survey.

Now online at gpda.motorsport.com, the survey is open to all fans of Formula 1 to give their thoughts on the sport they love. It comprises 50 questions on all aspects of F1, and is aimed at all types of fan – from armchair enthusiasts to committed race-goers.

The GPDA is the independent association of active Formula 1 drivers, formed in 1961, that has previously focused primarily on safety issues in the sport. It has chosen Motorsport.com’s unique international network to deliver this survey in 12 languages, and forms an integral part of its #RACINGUNITED community campaign.

“As F1 drivers we share a passion and deep love for our sport with our fans,” said GPDA Chairman Alex Wurz. “We want to give every F1 fan the opportunity to share that passion and for us to understand what they really think about us and our sport.

“We’ve heard the calls for fans to be consulted and this is our initiative to make that a reality.”

The partnership is the latest exciting development in the Motorsport.com portfolio, which has expanded its global network rapidly in 2015 with more plans in the pipeline.

“There is no better partner for a global F1 fan survey than the stars of the show themselves: the drivers,” said Motorsport.com’s Editor in Chief Charles Bradley. “The driving force behind this initiative is to allow fans of the sport to have their say. The fans are the true consumers of what happens both on and off the track, and their views haven’t really been listened to in recent years.

“Thanks to our growing international network, we’re the perfect partner to deliver this survey to allow F1’s drivers to learn more about fans who follow and support them so passionately.”

The gpda.motorsport.com global fan survey will be online for two weeks, and headline results will be available from July.

About Motorsport.com

Formed in 1994, Motorsport.com is an international network of online motor sports content, multi-national platforms, world-class digital distribution, video and interactive multimedia worldwide. Powered by passion and fueled by award-winning, cutting-edge technology, our One Team, One World approach to motorsports content is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is updated continuously throughout the day. Headquartered in Miami, Florida, and in bureaus around the world, our 2015 global expansion will include entries in 14 countries in 10 different languages.

Mika: About time!!

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

Christian Horner is kind of an argumentative pain in the ass isn't he? Whether he is complaining about Renault, fairness in technology or this....he is always yakking to a camera about something.

McLaren is in a worse spot than Red Bull and you don't see Ron Dennis complaining to the cameras.

• Like 2

Christian Horner is kind of an argumentative pain in the ass isn't he? Whether he is complaining about Renault, fairness in technology or this....he is always yakking to a camera about something.

McLaren is in a worse spot than Red Bull and you don't see Ron Dennis complaining to the cameras.

Spot on with your assumption. :)

Red Bull dominated for years and Horner never complained but as soon as something went against them, you could bet he'd be at the helm of most complaints.

• Like 1

VERSTAPPEN AMAZES WITH SENNA-ESQUE DISPLAY

Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Prac

Toro Rosso rookie Max Verstappen is threatening to steal the show in Monaco after a practice session in which he was only beaten by double world champion Lewis Hamilton.
Already hailed by mentor Helmut Marko as a ‘new Ayrton Senna’, the 17-year-old sensation appeared to fulfil that promise on Thursday by almost beating world champion Lewis Hamilton to the best time in the dry first practice session.
“For a guy that can’t rent a hire car yet, that’s enormously impressive,” said Christian Horner who is not the young Dutchman’s team boss, but the boss of Red Bull’s main team.
This year, the 2014 Toro Rosso sensation Daniil Kvyat was promoted to the race seat after just a single season on the F1 grid, but he has struggled so far.
Ominously, the notoriously unapologetic chief of Red Bull’s driver programme, Marko, is already starting to sound critical of Kvyat’s progress.
Max-Verstappen-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Prac
“Helmut has always had a habit of calling things as they are,” said Horner, but the Briton also defended the struggling Russian Kvyat.
“He’s young, he’s developing all the time. We can see a great deal of potential in him,” Horner insisted.
But also noteworthy is that Verstappen’s early form has caught the eye of F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who is famous for pushing the stars of the show into the best cars possible.
“I am really happy with him,” the 84-year-old said in Monaco. “He and Carlos Sainz are doing a bloody good job. Verstappen is very impressive.”
Famously Ayrton Senna nearly won the rain drenched 1984 Monaco Grand Prix, in his rookie season with Toleman (which subsequently became Benetton, then Renault and now Lotus) but at the time was hardly a front running car.

HULKENBERG ONCE AGAIN LINKED WITH FERRARI MOVE

Nico-Hulkenberg-F1-Grand-Prix-China-Prev

The latest name linked with a move to Ferrari is Nico Hulkenberg, but it is not the first tiome the highly rated German has been linked to the Maranello squad.
Before Kimi Raikkonen was signed for 2014, 27-year-old Hulkenberg was linked with a move to the fabled Italian team.
Instead, Hulkenberg is now struggling with Force India, and showing his apparent malcontent by splitting his attention in 2015 between F1 and Le Mans.
“I am a bit disappointed I am not where I want to be,” he admitted in Monaco. “I want to be in a car that is capable of winning and fighting for the title.”
Now, his name has re-emerged in connection with Ferrari, as the resurgent Maranello team ponders whether to take up the ‘option’ in Raikkonen’s contract.
“(Valtteri) Bottas and Hulkenberg?” Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene is quoted as saying by the influential La Gazzetta dello Sport in Monaco.
“There are so many drivers in the paddock, so to name names is completely wrong. Let’s concentrate on Kimi as we all hope that he continues as he is doing now, because if you look at the last grands prix, at some times Kimi was the fastest of all,” Arrivabene added.
“We already have very good drivers,” said the Italian, referring also to Sebastian Vettel.
As for Raikkonen, Arrivabene reportedly told Sky Italia: “We have a fast and very, very good driver, which we are satisfied with.
“I am very happy with how things are going with Kimi, and the enthusiasm that he brings to the team, even though he is called ‘the Iceman’.
“When the time comes we will talk with the president, and in one way or another, with his blessing, we will make an announcement,” he promised.

FORCE INDIA B-SPEC CAR FAILED CRASH TEST

FIA-F1-Crash-Test-750x501.jpg

The debut of Force India’s much needed B-spec car in Austria is now in doubt, after failing the mandaotry FIA safety test.
Earlier, the struggling Silverstone based team’s 2015 car was delayed over the winter due to supplier and financial trouble.
In the form of Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez, Force India now has a pair of disappointed drivers who are waiting until mid-season for a performance boost from a substantially-upgraded ‘B’ spec.
A debut in Austria was initially reported, but Mexican Perez subsequently explained that the British grand prix in July is now the more realistic race target.
Deputy team boss Bob Fernley said in Monaco: “Hopefully it’s still on target for us for Austria. I would like to think we could do it for the race but it’s most likely going to be the (post-race) test.”
Before the ‘B-spec’ car – reportedly with a Williams-style short nose – gets the green light, it has to pass the FIA’s mandatory crash test. Auto Motor und Sport reports that, on its first try, the car failed.
“Only just,” confirmed technical boss Andy Green. Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt warned: “Another failure could delay the debut of the B version.”

RACE TO BE F1 TYRE SUPPLIER IN 2017 BEGINS

F1-Michelin-750x500.jpg

Formula 1’s governing body has launched the official tender process for the selection of the sport’s tyre supplier in 2017 and beyond.
Often controversially, Pirelli has been the sole supplier since 2011, but in recent days the former F1 manufacturer Michelin admitted it is considering a return.
Both Pirelli and Michelin appear to back moves to introduce low-profile, 18-inch tyres for 2017. Former F1 driver and well-known British broadcaster Martin Brundle will test Pirelli’s prototype version on a GP2 car in Monaco.
The FIA confirmed it does not “preclude an increase in diameter” for 2017, while the introduction of wider tyres is also likely.
“We’re looking forward to demonstrating a new GP2 tyre concept tomorrow,” said Pirelli’s Paul Hembery, “which underlines our capacity to produce a variety of different tyre solutions to meet any request.”
Regarding the 2017 tender, Pirelli appears to be fighting Michelin at present, but that does not mean they will go wheel-to-wheel in a ‘tyre war’.
“At the moment,” said Hembery in Monaco, “the tender will be for a single supplier. So (regarding) 2017, I might be here or I might be sat on a boat having some champagne and watching it.”
“It (the tender) is a phase where the FIA will evaluate the technical competences of people who want to supply and then there’s the important bit which is the commercial aspect with the promoter. So there’s a timetable set out and we will obviously know before the end of the year,” Hembery added.
Before Pirelli’s current contract runs out, the Italian marque now appears open to giving teams ‘free choice’ in 2016 regarding the selection of compounds for each race weekend.
Earlier, Hembery was opposed to the idea that was first proposed by Force India. But he said in Monaco: “We’re working in that regard with Charlie (Whiting) and the FIA to come up with a proposal that gives us a level of safety in the choices made and also to provide something interesting for the fans.”
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport claims the current idea is for Pirelli to expand its range from four to six compounds, giving it the flexibility to ‘block’ the use of the most inappropriate tyres at certain races.
It means that, for example at Monza, teams would not be able to choose the ‘super soft’, for safety reasons, Hembery said: “The teams would still have enough choice to go for a more aggressive version.”

Team bosses veto tyre war

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Fran

Formula 1 team bosses have vetoed Fernando Alonso's call for a tyre war, saying two teams will get the "good tyres" and the rest will have "crap."
As the powers-that-be debate the best way forward for Formula 1 and how to attract spectators back into the grandstands, double World Champion Alonso has come out saying he would support a full out tyre war.
"Tyre competition will help Formula 1 because everyone will again push to the limits," said the McLaren driver. "I experienced tyre competition for some years with Michelin and Bridgestone, and after that we had a single tyre with Bridgestone, and the change was quite big."
He added that it would be "good for Formula 1. For strategy you could have a tyre that is good in qualifying, bad in the race, or vice versa. Some circuits would maybe suit one company, other circuits the other company, so it would mix up the results, and people will work on that."
However, the sport's team bosses are not in favour, saying a tyre war would only lead to a few teams getting an advantage while the rest are penalised.
Toro Rosso's Franz Tost said in Thursday's FIA press conference: "I just hope that no tyre war will come, that means no other tyre manufacturer, because this means that two teams will get the good tyres and the rest will just get this crap, because like it was before, when Michelin was in, it was Renault therefore Alonso has good memories and Bridgestone with Ferrari, therefore Michael was so successful, one of the reasons, yeah?
"If this comes back, it's the same story: the two tyre manufacturers, two teams which get good tyres; three tyre manufacturers, three teams and the rest just get what the others don't like.
"That means the complete competition would drive in a completely different direction. Then we would have, after now the power unit Formula One, we would have the tyre Formula One. Once the power units are stabilised, we open the next problem."
This was a sentiment echoed by Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, who said: "I think Franz summed it up splendidly, that one make tyre is equality for all of the teams.
"I think that in the times of tyre wars then of course effort does have to go behind your leading charge and it will drive costs up immeasurably as you have to develop your car around a specific tyre so I think it's been one of the successes in having a sole tyre and I think that that's one of the reasons for example that Red Bull has been able to achieve the success that it's been able to achieve as an independent team, which we perhaps would never have been able to enjoy in the event that there was open competition with tyre manufacturers aligned to automotive manufacturers, which is of course is where their core income comes from."
As for Force India deputy team principal Robert Fernley, he reckons F1's decision to change to a single supplier was one of the best ideas the sport has had in recent times.
"I think putting on the positive side of what Formula One has done well and I think the single tyre choice is one of the things that it has done very well and we shouldn't change," he said.

Abiteboul regrets unchanged four-engine rule

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Cyri

Renault's F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul has spoken of his regret after the Strategy Group voted against a fifth engine.
With Daniel Ricciardo already onto his fourth and final engine for this season before he begins to incur penalties, Renault's lack of reliability is once again at the fore.
The French manufacturer was on the verge of being handed a temporary lifeline when a proposal to run a fifth engine without penalty was put on the table.
The Strategy Group, though, voted against it.
Abiteboul said: "Obviously I regret it, because that's something that would have facilitated a bit the situation of our two customer teams given the different reliability issues we've had so far this season.
"Having said that, we knew the rules, it's four engines for everyone, so that's what we have to comply with."
In fact, his only real complaint was the "huge penalty" that comes along with running a fifth engine.
"I know there is a lot of frustration but ten places penalty - maybe I should not say that because maybe the FIA will make it worse in the future - but ten places penalty in tracks when you can overtake, assuming you have the power, the right set-up and so on, basically a car that out of place at the start can quite easily make it during the race, which are long races.
"So, I'm sorry for my customer teams but I don't think it's a big game changer to the championship."

Monaco GP track conditions "a nightmare" for F1 drivers in practice

1432231583.jpg

Formula 1 drivers bemoaned a lack of grip during a cold Friday practice for the Monaco Grand Prix, with Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz describing the first session as 'a nightmare'.
Grip is usually at a premium in first practice as Monaco is a street circuit but overnight rain and cooler than normal temperatures exacerbated the problem.
Drivers complained over team radio during the first session that they were struggling to get heat into the soft tyre with several locking up at Turn 1 and the chicane at the exit of the tunnel.
Rain fell after just 20 minutes of the second session which limited running in the afternoon and meant no meaningful data could be gathered on the super-soft.
"FP1 was a big nightmare with a soft tyre that was not working," said Sainz.
"As soon as you pulled out of the pits the tyres cooled down 20 degrees and you were out of the working range of the tyre.
"I didn't expect it to be that tricky. The prime tyre is so hard that in these conditions that as soon as you do half a lap of cooling down, when you push again you don't have the same feeling in the car.
"This track is all about confidence, consistency, and it's very difficult to have that at the moment."
Jenson Button said it took a number of laps to generate enough tyre temperature to get a good lap time.
"The first two laps, there is no grip at all," said Button. "You're skating around, it's like we don't have tyre blankets.
"It's not easy, but it takes four or five laps and the quickest lap is normally the last of a run, that might be lap 10 or lap 15 fuel corrected."
Williams's Valtteri Bottas agreed, but he said the issue improved in the afternoon when temperatures rose slightly before the rain fell.
"I struggled with the temperature of the soft tyres, as I just couldn't get them into a high enough temperature to make them work," said the Finn.
"It was a bit better in the afternoon, but we still see that we're not where we should be.
"It was a shame we couldn't try the super-soft tyres because I think we could make them work a bit better."
Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo said qualifying could be interesting if drivers have to do a series of laps before doing their flying lap.
"Tyre warm up with the cold was pretty poor, so hopefully a bit more sun comes up and it will help us," said the Australian.
"Otherwise qualifying might take a few laps to get it going. The soft was taking a while, even this morning.
"After 10 laps, the times were still coming down."

I think its a red bull philosophy in general. All they do is about being at the extreme end, winning, publicity etc. Being middle of the road isnt for them. So now they cant win by throwing money into development they want to change rules to their benefit. Im pretty surr if they are not a winning team in 1-2 years Dieter M will loose interest and pull out.

Indeed and its a shame this is what this team is all about compared to pedigree teams like williams who dominated for so long then went through a 6 year slump. Did they pull out? Nope. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Bernie Ecclestone reveals his plans for Formula 1 customer cars

1432306833.jpg

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is convinced the idea of customer cars can work, following the subject being discussed by the Strategy Group last week.
The idea of F1 reverting to such a system from 2017 dominated talks in last week's meeting, even though it was kept off the agenda in an FIA press release the following day.
AUTOSPORT has learned there is serious opposition to the proposal from the smaller teams being targeted by such a plan.
But Ecclestone feels it would immediately solve their financial issues, even if they would ultimately lose their status as a constructor.
"I've been pushing, pushing, pushing for single chassis, single engine, and run it exactly the same as now, but they [the teams] can't muck around with it [the car]," said Ecclestone.
"So you do that with four or five teams and you leave the constructors alone. You let them do what they want to do.
"You would make all the chassis the same, and then we would do a deal with one of the engine suppliers. It should work."
Ecclestone has revealed he would effectively serve as the middle man for the interested teams.
The 84-year-old added: "We'll also supply two chassis, complete, by the first of January for 15million dollars.
"We'll pay. If it costs more, we have to pay more, if it's less, that's good for us."
TWO-TIER COMPLAINTS DISMISSED
Suggested to Ecclestone it would lead to the creation of a two-tier championship, he replied: "Well what do you think we have now?
"We could make this happen if we made a big enough effort."
Ecclestone also feels it would signal the end of the pay driver in F1 as talent would finally have an opportunity to flourish in teams no longer dependent on the income such a driver brings.
1432306857.jpg
"Instead of having to run around and find a driver who has money, they could look for a talented driver and put him in the car," said Ecclestone.
"You would then get a lot more new drivers with a lot more talent.
"And these bigger teams are silly because all of a sudden they might find one or two bloody good drivers they could take without having to pay the money they are having to pay at the moment."
Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn has already told AUTOSPORT her marque will never become a customer car team.
One of Kaltenborn's concerns was that no sponsor would want to be associated with such a team that has precious little chance of being on the podium, never mind winning a race.
But Ecclestone countered: "Of course they could get a sponsor.
"If I was one of the major teams I wouldn't be happy because I know one of those other teams would easily be able to get a sponsor as they would be in a position to charge less money, and they'd still get good television.
"Look at the racing in the middle of the field we have now, so it will be televised well. What difference does it make what the car is?"

Formula 1 faces renewed call to ban alcohol sponsorship

1432292521.jpg

Formula 1 has again come under fire for its high exposure of alcohol advertising and the contradictory messages it sends out given the FIA's campaign for road safety.
The European Alcohol Policy Alliance, known as Eurocare, is a group of non-governmental public health and social organisations working on the prevention and reduction of alcohol-related harm in Europe.
Eurocare has conducted a report into last year's Monaco Grand Prix and the television coverage from Sky Sports, highlighting the fact there were 284 minutes of coverage, including pre and post-race, as well as the race itself.
The report shows throughout the entire programme F1's global audience of around 500 million was exposed to an alcohol brand every five seconds.
In F1 at present there are three teams that carry alcohol branding in Williams (Martini), Force India (Smirnoff and Kingfisher), and McLaren (Johnnie Walker).
Eurocare secretary general Mariann Skar said: "The amount of alcohol-related exposure in F1 settings is extreme by anyone's standards.
"There seems to be a lack of recognition within the F1 community about their responsibility when showing alcohol adverts every five seconds to an audience of 500 million viewers.
"We now urge the involved bodies in F1 to move away from alcohol sponsorship."
It is a call Eurocare has issued before as last year Skar, in an open letter to FIA president Jean Todt called on the Frenchman to "take a stand and demonstrate moral leadership on this issue".
In his response, Todt highlighted the 'Action for Road Safety' campaign he has made a priority since his election as president in 2009.
Todt, however, brushed aside Eurocare's demands by stating "the FIA has no part at all in the management of the commercial rights of the championship", and that "the candidate teams manage their own rights themselves".
Eurocare's campaign is supported by the Institute of Alcohol Studies, whose director Katherine Brown said: "Alcohol sponsorship of motorsport generates seriously mixed messages about drink driving and road safety, and contradicts the spirit of current EU rules on alcohol advertising.
"A common sense approach would be to stop alcohol companies from this risky business of sponsoring Formula 1."
Alcohol advertising in F1 effectively goes against the grain of a European Union directive that states "Television advertising...shall not link the consumption of alcohol to enhanced physical performance or to driving."
It is why there is a push to ban alcohol advertising in sports in light of the fact drink-driving is the third biggest killer on EU roads.
The stance is similar to that which led to tobacco advertising being outlawed by the EU, and which had a major impact on F1 when it was banned from the end of the 2006 season.
In the early 2000s a number of teams carried tobacco sponsorship in Ferrari (Marlboro) McLaren (West), Jordan (Benson and Hedges), Benetton (Mild Seven) and BAR (British American Tobacco).

Haas team learning from mistakes of other recent F1 entrants

1432313413.jpg

The Haas team has learned from the mistakes made by Formula 1's most recent new entrants, according to team principal Gunther Steiner.
The planned USF1 project didn't make the grid in 2010, while HRT and Caterham struggled at the back of the field for a few years before closing their doors without having scored a point.
Marussia did score through Jules Bianchi in Monaco last year, but that is the only points finish in its five-and-a-half year history.
Haas secured an entry in 2014 and after initially planning to join this season, the team decided to push its debut back until next year to allow more time to prepare.
Steiner told AUTOSPORT that he wasn't concerned about the poor results achieved by the likes of HRT, Caterham and Marussia because Haas has done its homework.
"I wouldn't say it worries me," he said. "We take it with respect what happened.
"We analyse it with respect. But that's why we try to do it different.
"If we would do the same, starting from nothing, doing everything ourselves with no time, in six months doing everything - we wouldn't be doing it, because nobody needs to do this.
"We want to do this and we want to try to give us the best chance possible out there.
"And doing more of the same [as previous newcomers], as I said before, that doesn't work.
"Starting from nothing works for no one."
The American team has an engine deal and technical partnership with Ferrari, meaning the Scuderia will supply Haas with all 'non-listed' parts in line with the regulations.

Sebastian Vettel says Ferrari F1 car will be strong everywhere

1432288683.jpg

Sebastian Vettel says this year's Ferrari SF15-T Formula 1 car is "strong everywhere", adding that the team simply underperformed last time out in the Spanish Grand Prix.
Ferrari has made a huge step forward this season both in terms of engine power and chassis gains and it is comfortably the closest challenger to Mercedes.
But after a strong start to the year, the highlight being Vettel's win in Malaysia, Ferrari dropped back in Spain, despite introducing a big update to the car.
However, Vettel insists the Ferrari is strong in both high and low-speed corners, adding that its poor performance in Barcelona's tight final sector was merely a blip.
"We have broken all the statistics so far and if we can keep doing that, we will be happy," said Vettel.
"I think we have a car that is generally working everywhere - in high speed sections and also twisty sections.
"It is true in Barcelona, in the last sector [pictured], we were not so competitive but I still think we made a step forward.
"We underperformed rather than there being something wrong with the car.
"I'm confident that it is the right way to go and we are keeping the parts for the race here and trying to understand as much as possible."
Although Vettel says it's too early to consider Ferrari a title contender, he believes the team has caused a surprise with its rate of progress.
"We need to make sure we start finishing ahead of Mercedes to talk about the championship," said the four-time world champion.
"We have surprised a lot of people being where we are now. Ferrari has made the biggest step.
"Our ambition is to be champions but we have to be realistic and not forget where you are coming from."

Monza's F1 future in jeopardy as talks stall

Fale_F1_Monza_2004_171.jpg

Monza's Formula 1 future hangs in the balance after meetings between track chiefs and Bernie Ecclestone failed to make progress in reaching a new deal.

Ecclestone met with Angelo Sticchi Damiani, the president of the Italian motorsport federation (ACI CSAI), in Monaco on Friday to discuss a host of matters – including the Italian Grand Prix.
But with Monza chiefs still unable to come up with the race fee hike that Ecclestone is demanding for a new contract after 2016, discussions appear to have stalled.
And until the finances are in place, it is unlikely that negotiations will be able to resume.
When asked if it was a green or red light for the Italian GP after the meeting, Damiani told Motorsport.com: “There is no light at the moment.”
Pushed on if there was a deadline to find the money, he said: “If we can find the money, then time is not a problem. But it is better to find a solution.”
Situation not improved
Former grand prix driver Ivan Capelli, who as president of the Automobile Club of Milan is involved in trying to help save the race, admitted the situation had not moved forward as had been hoped.
“We are working hard every single day to find the possibility to propose the right deal for Bernie,” he said. “We need obviously to create the right proposal for Bernie.”
When asked how important it was now for Monza to try to seek the extra finance itself, he said: “At the moment, it is critical.”
Government finance may be key
Monza's hopes may now rest on the Italian national government stepping forward and helping fund any shortfall in funding – believed to be around 10 million Euros.
The track has been able to secure around 20 million Euros of investment from the Lombardy regional government, but this can only be spent on infrastructure rather than race-sanctioning fees.
Capelli said: “It is not money that will be used to confirm the contract with Bernie, but to reorganise the circuit, the area around it and the golf club. It is money that must be shared in different kinds of worlds.”
Mugello not considered yet
Damiani said his priority was to save the Monza race, and not consider alternative options such as Mugello.
“If we make good work then we will likely have a grand prix at Monza,” he said. “The other option only comes up if we make bad work, but I think it is possible to have a future there.”

Losing Italian GP would be 'as bad' as no German GP, says Heidfeld

nickheidfeld.jpg

Nick Heidfeld commented on the uncertain future of the Monza F1 race.

Former Grand Prix driver Nick Heidfeld says that losing the Italian Grand Prix would be as bad for F1 as having no German race.
The former Sauber, BMW and Jordan driver who started 183 Grand Prix between 2000 and 2011 believes that the heritage of F1 will suffer if the Monza race goes the same way as the former mainstays of the F1 season – the French and German Grand Prix.
“There is a long history of motorsport in Germany and it is disappointing to not have a Grand Prix in Germany,” said Heidfeld. “I am sure the fans are looking from the outside and are thinking ‘this is very strange.’
“There are a couple of very good German drivers (Vettel and Rosberg) and big organisations in F1 and also big sponsors. Having had two races in the past and all of this activity in F1 it is a big pity and really just doesn’t make any sense.”
“I think if there were to be no more Grand Prix in Italy this would be even stranger because of the heritage. But you also have to understand the perspective of F1 being a business. I understand that but as a former Grand Prix driver and a fan of the sport it really doesn’t make sense at all. You have to weigh up the commercial and the heritage of the sport.”
MIKA: Ahh yeah, captain obvious ;)
  • Like 1

Verstappen: A Monaco podium. Why not?

_83141519_max_verstappen.jpg

Max Verstappen sees no reason why he cannot deliver on team boss Franz Tost's talk of a podium finish in Monaco this weekend.

The Toro Rosso driver's sensational second fastest time in Thursday practice has further highlighted the Dutchman's incredible speed, and prompted talk of a strong result on the streets of Monte Carlo.
And although he concedes that he will need luck to go his way if he is to live up to Tost's top three target, Verstappen thinks that the package has the potential to do it.
“On this track, if we have a lot of luck and people are having problems and crashing out, and we stay on track - maybe there is a chance,” he said.
“We need a lot of luck for that. Normally Mercedes or Ferrari should be ahead, but if we have a lot of luck then maybe.”
Form a surprise
Verstappen's best effort to secure second spot behind Lewis Hamilton in FP1 left him surprised with the result – especially when he could not find his name on a trackside leaderboard.
“I was surprised,” he said. “After the flag I was looking up at the screen and I couldn't find myself [near the bottom]. And then I went a bit up and went alright – that is a good lap then!
“The whole session I was building up slowly. But already from the simulator to here, I think it was very helpful and it felt straightaway very good on the track.I could get a lot of confidence in myself. The laps were just coming.”
Race pace improvement
Although Verstappen and Toro Rosso team-mate Carlos Sainz disappointingly slipped down the order after a strong qualifying performance in Spain a fortnight ago, he is more confident about the situation in Monaco.
“We figured out a bit what went wrong, and of course it is hard to overtake on this track so for sure qualifying is important,” he said.
“In Spain, we were a bit too conservative on the tyres, because on the whole stint we were doing the same lap times and everybody else was going very fast at the beginning and then dropping off. So that is something to look at.”

HAMILTON POWERS TO HIS FIRST EVER MONACO POLE POSITION

SNE23146-750x500.jpg

Lewis Hamilton claimed his first Monaco pole position and his fifth of the season, beating team-mate Nico Rosberg by over three tenths of a second after the German made a mistake on his final run. Sebastian Vettel was third for Ferrari ahead of Red Bull Racing’s Daniel Ricciardo.
After the initial runs in Q3, Hamilton held an advantage of just over a tenth of a second over Rosberg, but when the pair when out for their final flying laps Rosberg, pushing to recover, locked up into turn one and his chance was gone. Hamilton improved on his first run to log a time of 1:15.098 and claim pole.
The Mercedes pair opened Q1 with Hamilton taking P1 with his first lap and then refining that to a lap of 1:16.588 as his soft tyres began to perform. Rosberg quickly eclipsed that benchmark with his second flying lap, finding six hundredths of a second over his team-mate to take top spot.
Behind them Sebastian Vettel put in a lap of 1:17.502 to claim P3, almost a full second behind Rosberg. Pastor Maldonado was fourth for Lotus ahead of Red Bull Racing’s Daniil Kvyat and Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkonen.
Lewis-Hamilton-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Qual
Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg meanwhile hit trouble 10 minutes in when he lost control going into Mirabeau and clipped the wall with the rear of his car. He headed back to the pits in P10. There was no real damage, however, and he was soon back out on track.
With three minutes left Max Verstappen had climbed to P3 with a lap of 1:16.750, ahead of Kvyat, Toro Rosso’s Carlos Sainz, Force India’s Sergio Perez and McLaren’s Jenson Button, while Vettel remained in P8.
In the drop zone with a minute left on the clock were Sauber’s Felipe Nasr, Williams’ Valtteri Bottas, Sauber’s Marcus Ericcson and the Manors of Roberto Merhi and Will Stevens.
And it was Bottas who was the session’s major casualty. On his final lap the Finn was six tenths down on the best first sector time and a second off the pace in S2. As the chequered flag came out he abandoned his lap and headed to the pit lane to exit the session in P17. Nasr also failed to improve in P16, though Stevens managed to leapfrog team-mate Merhi to claim P19 behind Ericsson.
Nico-Rosberg-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Qualif
At the top Rosberg held P1 ahead of Hamilton, while Verstappen remained in P3 ahead of Kvyat, Sainz, Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo, Perez, Button, Vettel and Hulkenberg. Only the Mercedes and Ferrari drivers managed to get through to Q2 on the soft tyre alone.
The first casualty of Q2 was McLaren’s Fernando Alonso. The Spaniard ground to a halt at Sainte Devote but he was swiftly brought through a gap in the barriers and the session continued uninterrupted.
Vettel set the early pace with a lap of 1:16.224 but with eight minutes left he was usurped by Rosberg who beat his time by more than seven tenths of second. Hamilton slotted into P3 with an identical time to Vettel, while Raikkonen took fourth place ahead of Sainz and Verstappen.
By the time the final flying laps were starting the drop zone featured Ricciardo in P11, backed up by Button, Williams’ Felipe Massa and Hulkenberg. Alonso would occupy P15.
Ricciardo began his final lap five hundredths of a second adriftt of the P10 time of 1:17.007 set by Grosjean but the Australian found space on the crowded track and comfortably bypassed that mark. He improved by three tenths to make it through to Q3 in seventh place, dumping Grosjean out of the session.
Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Qu
Behind the Lotus driver, Button was eliminated in P12, with the Briton being told that yellow flags that had come out when Rosberg used the escape road at Sainte Devote had cost him the time he need. The Briton responded that the result was “painful” and that otherwise passage to Q3 would have been “easy”. Hulkenberg, meanwhile, jumped ahead of Massa to claim P13.
At the top of the order Rosberg still held P1 with his best lap of 1:15.471. Hamilton finished just under four tenths behind in P2, with Vettel third just over two tenths further back. Raikkonen was fourth ahead of Kvyat, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Sainz, Lotus’ Pastor Maldonado and Perez, who made it into Q3 for the first time this season.
As teams prepared for the top-10 shootout, spots of rain began to fall and the Mercedes drivers were quickly out of the pit lane, with Hamilton ahead, to begin the bid for pole.
Hamilton’s first timed lap was a 1:20.611, with Rosberg crossing the line right behind in 1:21.058. They were both passed by Perez whose first lap yielded a time of 1:17.912 and then by Raikkonen.
Daniel-Ricciardo-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Qu
Hamilton, though, was only winding up and next time round he logged a time of 1:15.304, to which Rosberg had no response. The German crossing the line just under 1400ths of a second adrift of his team-mate, with Vettel taking third, four tenths behind Rosberg. Ricciardo was fourth after the first runs with Kvyat fifth ahead of Perez, Verstappen, Sainz, Raikkonen, who brushed the wall at Portier, and Maldonado.
And Rosberg again failed to find a reponse in the final run. The German had a big lock-up into turn one and his lap was over. He aborted his run and headed for the pit lane as Hamilton improved to a pole-securing lap of 1:15.098.
Vettel was third, the Ferrari driver also locking up at turn one, while Ricciardo held fourth with a lap of 1:16.041. Raikkonen finished fifth ahead of Perez, who with no fresh sets of option tyres left opted to sit out the final run. Sainz took an excellent eighth position, with Maldonado ninth ahead of Verstappen.

ARRIVABENE: WE NEED TO LOWER EXPECTATIONS

Maurizio-Arrivabene-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene says heading the legendary team is the toughest challenge of his life.
The Italian, who arrived at Maranello from sponsor Marlboro early this year to settle the then chaotic outfit, says being Ferrari boss is “eleven out of ten” on the difficulty scale.
“For example,” he told DPA news agency, “in Barcelona we had to decide who will have the new car and who will have the old one. Kimi (Raikkonen) said ‘I want the old one’, but then I heard in the media that we had tossed a coin to decide.”
“Everything we do is many times greater than it is in reality. Once, I went to the bathroom and everyone was asking ‘Why is Maurizio in such a hurry?'”
The latest issue for Arrivabene is managing expectations. Ferrari surprised the entire F1 world early in 2015 with its resurgent form, but then stories of a new ‘crisis’ emerged in Barcelona when the upgraded package did not work.
150056_mal-750x500.jpg
“We need to lower expectations,” he insists now. “In Barcelona we were 45 seconds behind, but last season the gap was one minute and 27 seconds.
“After (winning in) Malaysia, I thought to myself ‘This is too early’. Because people would expect that now we go for the world championship.
“But this year we have the goal of winning three races, and four would be fantastic. Next year we will set other objectives,” Arrivabene added.
He confirmed to Sky Italia: “For this year, we want to have our feet on the ground and our heads down and be there in the races when Mercedes has problems.”

SAINZ PENALISED FOR PITLANE INFIRINGEMENT

Carlos-Sainz-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Previe

Joy turned to heart ache for Toro Rosso rookie Carlos Sainz who ended Monaco Grand Prix qualifying in eighth place on the timing sheets but was, shortly afterwards, penalised by race stewards for failing to stop at the weighbridge during the session and the Spaniard will start the race from the pitlane
Sainz impressed all weekend in his F1 debut in Monte Carlo and qualified as his team’s lead car, two places ahead of teammate Max Verstappen.
After examinig the incident the stewards deemed: “The driver failed to stop for weighing during Q1 when signalled to do so by the red traffic light, the car was not returned to the FIA garage and work was undertaken. In accordance with Article 26.1(iv) of the FIA Sporting regulations the driver is required to start from the pit lane.”
Lotus driver Romain Grosjean will also move down the grid due to a gearbox change penalty.

VETTEL FINDS LOOPHOLE FOR MONACO HELMET CHANGE

Sebastian-Vettel-F1-Grand-Prix-Monaco-Qu

Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has found a way around Formula 1’s new helmet livery change ban.
For 2015, to help spectators more easily identify the drivers from one race to another, the sport put a stop to the constant chopping and changing of helmet colours.
It means that even the ‘Monaco specials’ – one-off livery changes for the prestigious street race – are no longer allowed.
“(Livery designer) JMD have painted me this helmet for the race and I really wanna wear it!” Daniel Ricciardo said on Twitter. “Not a fan of this one helmet design rule,” the Australian complained.
Ferrari’s Vettel is also a JMD customer, but the German has found a loophole in the livery rule.
La Gazzetta dello Sport has published photos of his ‘Monaco special’, and because it is substantially similar to his homologated livery, it is likely to escape the attention of the stewards.
Vettel’s Monaco helmet is still white with the German tricolour stripe, but now in a distinctly 70s style.
The white is not as glossy, the tricolour is featured in a hand-drawn, brush-stroke style, the ‘5’ on the top is in a decades-old font, and a bigger, 70s-like visor has been drawn on.
On the side, just ahead of the modern, HANS-device mounting, is an image of an old oxygen-hose attachment, completing the authenticity of the 70s look.
Vettel was already wearing the new helmet livery in Thursday practice.

GROSJEAN SET FOR FIVE PLACE GRID PENALTY

jm1528ma406-750x500.jpg

Lotus driver Romain Grosjean faces a five-place penalty on the Monaco Grand Prix starting grid for an unscheduled gearbox change.
The only French driver in what amounts to a home race suffered gearbox damage on his way to eighth place in Spain two weeks ago and the governing FIA confirmed on Saturday that he would start with a new one in Monaco.
The rules say gearboxes must last for six consecutive events and Sunday’s race is the sixth round of the season, meaning Grosjean must take a penalty.
Grid penalties in Monaco carry a much heavier weight than normal, given that it is extremely difficult to overtake on the tight and twisty street circuit. The race has been won by the driver on pole for the last six years.

LARGER TYRES IS THE WAY FORWARD FOR F1 SAYS MICHELIN BOSS

1975-german-gp-hesketh-308b-james-hunt-7

Formula 1 is stuck in the past with its current tyre sizes and should switch to bigger ones that are more commercially relevant, according to Michelin motorsport director Pascal Couasnon.
“Staying with 13-inch tyres is a form of treading ground,” he said in a question and answer sheet issued by the French manufacturer on Friday.
“Formula One has successfully become more modern in many areas but it is not a hotbed of innovation in the realm of tyres. Single-seater cars racing on 13-inch tyres are a thing of the past.”
Formula One’s governing body announced on Thursday a tender to be the sport’s sole tyre supplier from 2017-19, a role currently filled by Pirelli.
Pirelli are seen as favourites to continue but the FIA has not ruled out a switch to bigger tyres, with Michelin favouring 18-inch ones and likely to tender if a rule change was accepted.
“The chief reason why we want to switch to 18-inch tyres is that they permit the development of new technologies that can be used for mass-produced road tyres,” said Couasnon.
“We believe it is impossible to transfer technology from small-diametre tyres with tall side walls…we need racing tyres to have a similar profile to road tyres to be in a position to develop new technologies.”
Couasnon said he felt the idea of bigger tyres was gaining ground, with the new electric Formula E series already using them and junior formulae such as Formula Renault 3.5 also preparing for a change.
“It seems to me that it’s a move that makes sense,” added the Frenchman.
Pirelli has already conducted tests with 18-inch rims while former F1 driver and television commentator Martin Brundle drove a GP2 car around the Monaco circuit on Friday in a demonstration run with the bigger tyres.
“I really like the look of the 18 inch wheels on single seater. Car felt great but big problem is that you can’t see apex kerbs or barriers. At all,” the Briton reported on Twitter.

Kimi expecting to 'pay big price'

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Kimi

Kimi Raikkonen admits it "was not a very good day" for him in Monaco on Saturday and he will struggle on race day as a result.
The Finn was sixth fastest in F3 in the morning, but he had a brush with the barriers at Ste Devote and was unable to complete the session.
Although his mechanics fixed his car in time for qualifying, he could only manage the sixth fastest time in Q3 and will not only start behind the two Mercs and Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel, but also behind the two Red Bull cars.
On a circuit where overtaking is very difficult, Raikkonen knows he will be in for a tough day on Sunday.
"I don’t think that the accident of this morning affected my qualifying. My car has been working pretty well so far, apart from the fact that it was hard to get the tires working," he said.
"You need few good laps to make a time and today in my last run I was too slow behind a Toro Rosso and decided to come in. Today we had the speed but not the chance of doing a clean lap.
"It was not a very good day and obviously tomorrow we are going to pay a big price. Tomorrow we’ll see what we can do, we’ll try to make a good start and go from there, even if it won’t be easy. Here there is a big chance to remain stuck behind other cars for the whole race and overtaking is really difficult: that’s why the result of today is very disappointing."