FORMULA 1 - 2015

LAUDA: EVERYONE AT BRACKLEY IS STRESSED

Niki-Lauda-F1-Grand-Prix-Germany-Qualify

Although Mercedes utterly dominated the 2014 Formula 1 world championship, team chairman Niki Lauda is still looking into the new season with trepidation.
For one thing, the F1 legend and triple world champion cannot understand the sport’s looming schedule for pre-season testing.
“Everyone at Brackley is stressed,” Lauda admitted to Salzburger Nachrichten. “There are many things [to worry about]. It bothers me that this year there is no test in the session of Bahrain, unlike the previous year.”
“In Spain, the temperatures are too low in February and then we go straight to the heat of Melbourne. I don’t understand this schedule,” Lauda added.
He also commented on the winter developments on the political front, with engine makers allowed to upgrade their 2015 engines beyond the original deadline.
“The newcomers Honda also want the same position as the others,” said Lauda, “which I understand for reasons of fairness.”
Mercedes will begin the defence of their two world titles at the first test in Jerez from 1 February to 4 February, before the season proper begins in Melbourne in March with world champion Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg once again spearheading their campaign.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another season ahead, will it be better than the last? I'm certainly hoping there will be less politics involved but that's just wishful thinking! Perhaps I will post less on such issues moving forwa

Bernie's really damaging the sport. He's so far behind the times it's impossible to listen to anything he has to say. Just looking at the way other sports leagues have grown over the past 20 years com

ECCLESTONE: RED BULL ARE ABSOLUTELY 100 PER CENT RIGHT Red Bull is right to argue for rule changes after Mercedes utterly dominated the 2015 season opener, Bernie Ecclestone said on Monday. A rep

PEREZ: I EXPECT TO HAVE MY BEST YEAR IN FORMULA 1

jm1521ja228-750x501.jpg

Force India revealed an aggressive new look for the 2015 Formula 1 season with Mexican driver Sergio Perez telling his compatriots he expected his best season yet.
In a livery presentation at Mexico City’s Soumaya museum streamed online, the team revealed a mostly silver and black car with orange side streaks and a smoother, more attractive nose.
The Mercedes-powered VJM08 car, with a number of prominent new sponsors, will not debut on track until the second pre-season test in Barcelona next month and the team will use the 2014 car in Jerez on 1 February.
Perez, who has yet to win a grand prix, said it was an emotional day for him to present the car in his home country, which is returning to the Formula 1 calendar this year for the first time since 1992.
jm1521ja2871-750x501.jpg
“I think everyone in the team is really motivated,” said the Guadalajara-born driver, who joined Force India from McLaren at the end of 2013.
“We are looking forward to a great season. I think we are starting the season with a big high so I am sure it’s going to be a great year.
“I am going into my fifth season (in F1) with my best condition ever in all aspects, so I expect to have my best year in Formula One,” he added.
German team mate Nico Hulkenberg, who scored 96 points to Perez’s 59 last season, agreed that the sixth-placed team could do well.
jm1521ja224-750x501.jpg
“We have a really solid foundation and I look forward that we get even better, we take the next step,” added Hulkenberg. “I think we have some new personnel so I’m really excited and look forward to this year.”
Team principal Vijay Mallya said the car’s colours made it look ‘a little more mean and a little more hungry’ and hoped the team, who came close to beating McLaren last year, could again challenge the ‘big boys of F1′.
“We are lucky to have two exceptional drivers who will hopefully steer the… challenger to the front of the grid and hopefully a few podiums during the current year,” he said.
The season starts in Australia on 15 March.

LAUDA CALLS FOR MORE POWERFUL AND DIFFICULT F1 CARS

1976-N%C3%BCrburgring-Niki-Lauda-Ferrari

Although Mercedes dominated in 2014, the first year of the all new Formula 1 turbo era, team chairman Niki Lauda is keen on rules which in future will cater for 1,200 horsepower cars, with fat tyres which will be a handful to drive.
Triple world champion Lauda said, “Right now, the cars allow any F3 or GP2 driver to be fast right away, without having to take a lot of risk. You can drive these Formula 1 cars almost like a street car.”
“I want a car for the future that has 1,200 horse power, wide tyres – Formula 1 needs to be faster and more difficult, as it once was,” Lauda added.

FATHER TO BE RAIKKONEN SPENDS TIME AT MARANELLO

150006_new-001-750x503.jpg

Kimi Raikkonen, who is due to become a father for the first time any day now, was at Maranello this week to get up to speed with developments regarding the 2015 Ferrari which he will campaign alongside new teammate Sebastian Vettel.
Ferrari reported that Raikkonen took time out on meetings to visit the Gestione Sportiva where “the new car is taking shape, with work temporarily halted for a welcome photo break.”
In 2015 the Finn will be keen to reverse what was a dismal 2014 season back at Maranello, where he struggled with the new era V6 turbo cars, and was shown up by Fernando Alonso who has since departed the team, making way for the arrival of four times F1 world champion Vettel.
The pair are now tasked by a new leadership at Ferrari to lead the Italian team back to the top step of the podium.
Meanwhile it is expected that Raikkonen’s fiancee Minttu Virtanen will give birth to their first child in the near future.

Palmer confirmed as Lotus reserve

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Joly

GP2 Series champion Jolyon Palmer has been confirmed as the third driver for Lotus for the 2015 Formula One season.
Palmer became the first British driver to win the GP2 Series since Lewis Hamilton in 2006 last year and is expected to get plenty of opportunity behind the wheel of the 2015 Lotus car, in free practice sessions as well as during testing.
Should the need arise, he will stand in for Romain Grosjean or Pastor Maldonado on race day.
"I'm delighted to be moving into F1 with Lotus F1 Team this year as third driver and I'm very grateful for the opportunity they have given me,"the 24-year-old Palmer said.
"My goal has been to become a race driver in a competitive F1 team for 2016 and Lotus F1 Team is a great opportunity for me, particularly with Mercedes engines now. To be able to learn with a major F1 team by working closely with them in every area and getting a lot of mileage in the car is the best way possible, as Valtteri Bottas proved.
"I am delighted to be joining Lotus F1 Team at such an exciting time and my objective is to earn a long term future with them."
Lotus Chairman and team boss Gerard Lopez was pleased with Palmer's acquisition.
"Jolyon is a fantastic talent and a very credible driver to fulfil the role of Third Driver at Lotus F1 Team. Romain and Pastor are both GP2 Series Champions, so we know what a fantastic proving ground GP2 provides," Lopez said.
"For Jolyon to have enjoyed such a successful season as he took his title last year shows his superb potential for the future. We are looking forward to seeing him in team colours and behind the wheel of our 2015 car, the E23 Hybrid, which represents an exciting new era for Lotus F1 Team."

Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA

bian-m-2-470x313.jpg

Former Formula One driver Philippe Streiff is facing the threat of legal action from the FIA for his comments on the governing body’s investigation into Jules Bianchi’s crash.
Streiff, who was paralysed following a crash in an F1 car in 1989, criticised the findings of the FIA’s Accident Panel, which published a summary of its report last month.
It found that Bianchi did not slow sufficiently as he was passing Adrian Sutil’s crash scene despite the presence of double waved yellow flags, but also made a number of recommendation to reduce the risk of a similar accident happening again.
Bianchi has been in hospital since the crash during the Japanese Grand Prix in October.
In a statement issued on Thursday the FIA said “President Jean Todt, as well as Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, are dismayed to learn of the remarks made about them by Philippe Streiff in his recent comments on the state of Jules Bianchi’s health”.
“These remarks having been published by certain media, the FIA, Jean Todt and Gerard Saillant categorically state that Philippe Streiff’s insulting and defamatory comments are utterly unfounded and demonstrate malicious intent.”
The FIA has vowed to bring legal action against Streiff. “In view of the seriousness of this deliberate attack on their reputations, they have had to ask their lawyers to lodge a complaint for public defamation and insult so that the circulation of Philippe Streiff’s statements is stopped immediately and sanctioned in an appropriate manner,” said the statement.
“They find it regrettable that this incident only serves to add to the suffering of Jules Bianchi’s family, for whom they would like to reiterate their support.”

Toyota wind tunnel key to Force India form, says Mallya

outlook-for-beer-sales-good-this-fiscal-

Force India goes into 2015 with high expectations after a superb 2014.

Vijay Mallya says that Force India's switch to the Toyota wind tunnel in Cologne will be key to its form this year – although he concedes it will take a while to pay off.
The German tunnel takes a 60% model, whereas the team's now ageing facility in Brackley is a 50% facility.
“We were on the podium last year, which was an important boost,” said Mallya. “But actually I think we deserved more than that. So the target is to achieve more podiums in 2015 and we’ve taken some decisions recently to ensure we remain competitive. For example, moving all our wind tunnel work to the Toyota facility in Cologne gives us access to a tunnel that is a match for any team on the grid. Of course, there will be some transition time as we adapt and get up-to-speed, but I’m confident it’s a decision that will stand us in good stead for the future.”
Chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer added: “In light of the FIA’s restrictions on wind tunnel time and the fact that we can only nominate one tunnel, we decided that the Toyota facility in Cologne offered the best way forward for the short and medium term. It represents a major step up for us because we can improve our approach to testing with the use of a 60% model, which will provide better correlation results.
Other changes
“The other major change is the use of a steel belt rolling road, which will better simulate the impact of tyre compression on aero performance. I expect we will start to feel the benefits of the new tunnel by the middle of the 2015 season.”
The team has also bolstered its CFD facilities. “We have increased our CFD capability so that we are now at the maximum capacity permitted by the regulations,” said Szafnauer. “That came on-stream late in 2014 so the benefits will only become apparent towards the middle part of next season – in line with the new wind tunnel programme. The other area of constant development is our simulator, which will play a bigger role in our preparatory work ahead of each Grand Prix.”

£10,000 reward offered in Red Bull trophy theft

red-bull-vettel-trophy.png

A £10,000 reward is being offered for any information which might lead to the arrest and conviction of those involved in a ram-raid at Red Bull Racing's factory in December.
Whilst a third of the 60 stolen trophies have been recovered, after they were found by a dog-walker in a lake in Sandhurst, the remainder are still missing.
It's believed they may have been sold for scrap as almost all are replicas and have very little monetary value according to Red Bull.
The theft was featured on the BBC's Crimewatch programme this week where an appeal was made for information relating to the theft. It's believed those involved have also targeted other businesses in the Surrey area including a clothing shop and ATM.
If you have any information, please contact Crimewatch on 0500 600 600 or contact Thames Valley Police.

Todt suing Streiff over Bianchi comments

1024x768__origin__0x0_Jeant_Todt_FIA_Acc

The FIA President Jean Todt is taking legal action against former F1 driver Philippe Streiff following comments he made in the wake of a review into Jules Bianchi's accident.
Last year the Marussia driver suffered horrific head injuries when he crashed into a recovery vehicle after sliding off the track in the wet at the Japanese GP.
Bianchi was moved to a French hospital in December where he began rehabilitation therapy, although his neurological status remains unchanged.
In the wake of his accident Streiff hit out at the FIA.
He suggested to a French web TV station that the Accident Review panel set up to look into Bianchi's crash was done solely for the purpose of clearing the FIA of any blame.
The FIA are now taking legal action against the former driver.
An FIA statement read: "The FIA, its President Jean Todt, as well as Gerard Saillant, President of the FIA Medical Commission, are dismayed to learn of the remarks made about them by Philippe Streiff in his recent comments on the state of Jules Bianchi's health.
"These remarks having been published by certain media, the FIA, Jean Todt and Gerard Saillant categorically state that Philippe Streiff's insulting and defamatory comments are utterly unfounded and demonstrate malicious intent.
"In view of the seriousness of this deliberate attack on their reputations, they have had to ask their lawyers to lodge a complaint for public defamation and insult so that the circulation of Philippe Streiff's statements is stopped immediately and sanctioned in an appropriate manner.
"They find it regrettable that this incident only serves to add to the suffering of Jules Bianchi's family, for whom they would like to reiterate their support."

Hulkenberg targets 'the next step'

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Serg

Gearing up for his second season back with Force India, Nico Hulkenberg is hoping the continuity will pay dividends as he looks to take another step forward.
The 27-year-old returned to Force India last year having spent the previous season with Sauber.
Although needing to once again familiarise himself with the team, he started the season with a run of ten races inside the points.
That ended with a retirement in Hungary with Hulkenberg scoring five times in the last nine races.
This year Hulkenberg is expecting even better now that he once again feels at home with the team.
"It makes a big difference not having to adapt to new surroundings," he said during Wednesday's livery launch.
"It means you don't have that learning period when you have to get to know the people and adapt to the way a team works, so I think it takes the pressure off a little bit and you can focus all your energy on driving and improving the car."
The German finished last year's Championship ninth in the standings with 96 points, a tally he is hoping to better this season.
He added: "It was the best year for me in terms of points, and in terms of the team, so hopefully it can be better.
"So I'm really excited to be part of Force India and to hopefully take the next step."

Vettel to test new Ferrari first

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Seba

Sebastian Vettel will reportedly have the honour of putting the first laps on the new Ferrari as he's expected to run on the opening two days at Jerez.
Ferrari will take the covers off their 2015 challenger, the name of which has yet to be confirmed, on Friday 30 January.
Two days later the team will be in Jerez for the first of three three pre-season tests.
According to Sport Bild, the four-time World Champion will be in action on Day One and Two before handing the car over to team-mate Kimi Raikkoknen.
Vettel, though, won't have much free time before the test as the publication reports that he's heading to Maranello next week to put in more "hours in the simulator."

ARRIVABENE: A REAL F1 REVOLUTION IS CALLED FOR WITH RADICAL CHANGES

Project1976_Render1-750x497.jpg

Formula 1 needs to go through a real revolution by 2017 with cars making the sort of noise that heavy metal rock fans would appreciate, according to Ferrari’s new team principal Maurizio Arrivabene.
The principal, who took over the team in November, told the Ferrari website on Friday that the show needed to be more spectacular to win back fans who had fallen out of love with Formula One.
“By 2017, I would like to see cars that win over the fans, with cars that they can get closer to and that are aesthetically more appealing, maybe even producing a noise that gets your hair standing on end, like that produced by a heavy metal band,” said Arrivabene.
Arrivabene, who has a marketing background and arrived from team sponsor Philip Morris, agreed with former triple champion and Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda that big changes had to be made.
Arrivabene-3-750x497.jpg
“I don’t think a simple evolution is enough in this case,” he continued. “Instead, a real revolution is called for with significant and radical changes.
“By that, I mean more power, higher speeds not necessarily involving the use of more fuel, but definitely applying a cost reduction to those components that are of little interest to the general public.”
Arrivabene suggested taking the sport to the people, with Thursday driver news conferences and presentations possibly held in public areas outside the circuit to give more to the host cities.
Some races, such as the German Grand Prix which had just 52,000 through the turnstiles on race day at Hockenheim, had disappointing crowds last year while viewing figures have declined in some countries.
“I have long felt that the real competition to F1 today, in the sense of it being a show, comes from a variety of forms of entertainment, not least from the internet including racing video games,” said Arrivabene.
dpl1405se016-750x498.jpg
It is up to us to provide something better and to download a new format for Formula One as soon as possible.”
Formula 1 switched to a new, and quieter, V6 turbo hybrid format last season that put more emphasis on fuel economy.
Lauda this week told media that the sport needed more powerful cars, with wider tyres, that were harder to drive.
Formula 1 bosses have been discussing future rules with commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone among those backing a proposal to increase engine power to more than 1,000 brake horsepower in 2017

STREIFF: I ASK TODT AND GERARD TO EXCUSE ME

20140104philippe-streiff-latogatasa-mich

Former Formula 1 driver Philippe Streiff has apologised to FIA president Jean Todt and medical head Gerard Saillant for comments he made about the investigation into Jules Bianchi’s Japanese Grand Prix accident.
Todt and Saillant had threatened legal action on for defamation.
“I let myself get carried away in front of the camera,” Streiff said in a statement issued through the International Automobile Federation (FIA) in which he retracted the ‘unfounded’ accusations.
“The interview took a long time, too long, and I am aware that I made insulting and defamatory comments about Jean Todt, Gerard Saillant and the FIA which I sincerely regret.
Todt_Saillant-001-750x500.jpg
“I ask Jean Todt and Gerard Saillant, who are well aware of my health problems, to excuse me,” he added. “I regret having said things about them that are totally out of line with the consideration they both deserve.”
Streiff has been wheelchair-bound since a 1989 Formula One testing accident in Brazil.
Bianchi, managed by Todt’s son Nicolas, suffered severe brain injuries when his Marussia skidded into a recovery tractor in fading light in the October race at a wet Suzuka circuit.
He is now in hospital in the south of France.

LOTUS PRESENT THEIR 2015 F1 CAR THE E23 HYBRID

06804b0c-a5c5-4793-8077-46654a245df4-750

Lotus F1 Team presented their 2015 Formula 1 world championship challenger: the E23 Hybrid.
Matthew Carter, Lotus F1 Team CEO: “The E23 Hybrid represents a new era for Lotus F1 Team, not only in the change to a Mercedes Benz Power Unit, but also it is the fruition of a busy winter behind the scenes. Improvements within our Design, Aero and Simulation departments have all contributed to the development of a car which is a huge step forward. As a team we are confident that the new car coupled with additions to the Race team will enable a huge leap forward and we are full of optimism going into the new season. It is time to put the disappointment of last season behind us and benefit from 12 months of hard work; we are ready to return to our rightful place at the pinnacle of the sport.”
6b04ec37-87b7-4874-8bac-46ef4d3ab9b6-750
Nick Chester, Lotus F1 Team Technical Director: “The E23 Hybrid represents a massive step forward for us. It’s no secret that we struggled with last year’s car so we’ve targeted every area that caused us an issue. We’ve made strong progress in the wind tunnel as well as in areas such as packaging and cooling. We expect the E23 to perform far, far better than its predecessor. In terms of what’s new, obviously a massive change for us is a new Power Unit supplier. We made this change as it looked and looks to be the one area of the car which could bring us the greatest performance gain. It’s not just performance, but reliability and driveability as well as packaging and cooling too. The E22 did deliver good figures in the wind tunnel, even if it was difficult to unlock its potential, so we’ve paid more attention to making the characteristics of the car more adaptable. In terms of the suspension, we were delivered something of a blow last year when the front-rear interconnected suspension was outlawed mid-season. The E23’s suspension design is specific to the updated regulations so we’re not trying to update a system originally intended to work a different way. We learnt a lot in many areas of the car over the course of 2014 so there are many lessons which have been applied. We know we’ve made a big step. We won’t know how our car will fare in relative terms until we’re out in action at a Grand Prix, but we certainly expect to be much more competitive than last year.”
44346a71-5b7d-4014-9431-2d35ad97bf9a-300c37d2513-9fb3-4ff0-a44b-89aa875da54f-300

FORMULA 1 ON COURSE FOR ANOTHER ENGINE REVOLUTION

tumblr_m6ebv4bSvj1qke845o1_1280-750x501.

Formula 1 appears on course for another radical change of direction with regards to power units after 2016.
Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene is calling for a “revolution” on the technical front, as Bernie Ecclestone also looks to spice up the sport’s speed and sound just a year after the all-new V6 turbo era dawned.
Renault, also trailing behind F1’s dominant force Mercedes, is similarly open to change.
“Renault would not get in the way, so long as costs are kept under control,” boss Cyril Abiteboul told the broadcaster Canal Plus.
He said the idea of louder and more powerful engines is “attractive”, but “it seems too late for 2016. 2017 would be the ideal time”.
F1-turbo-power-units-750x498.jpg
Proposals are already beginning to emerge. Even McLaren’s new works partner Honda is not opposed, having reportedly suggested a ramping up of the sport’s new non-combustion engine propulsion techniques for 2017.
Also according to Auto Motor und Sport, Ferrari is suggesting a 2.2 litre twin-turbo V8, revving to 17,000rpm with a standard KERS system.
Some, however, suspect that Renault and Ferrari are so keen on the idea of change simply because they are trailing Mercedes under the current engine regime.
“Of course!” Mercedes chief Toto Wolff told Sport Bild. “That’s formula one. But we accept the challenge even when it comes to talking about the engine. You just have to be sensible.”
Wolff said radically departing from the basic 1.6 litre V6 of today is out of the question, “All the engine manufacturers have expressed the wish that we keep the current architecture, because anything else would bring high development costs.”

WILL FORMULA 1 SUFFER BY NEGLECTING CLASSIC VENUES?

1989-31-750x500.jpg

Formula 1’s historic venues are struggling to be part of the next chapters of the sport, as Germany could fall off the 2015 Formula 1 calendar.
Other traditional hosts like France and also Imola, the former Italian venue of the annual San Marino grand prix, are no longer represented.
That is despite Imola’s Enzo e Dino Ferrari track having recently secured full approval after an inspection by Charlie Whiting, circuit director Pietro Benvenuti told media.
“In June, Charlie Whiting inspected the circuit and reconfirmed a first grade licence which expires in June 2017,” he revealed.
“That means [imola] has all the technical requirements to accommodate any FIA race, including formula one,” Benvenuti added.
71regazzoni1-750x458.jpg
The report, however, said there is no chance Imola will be returning to the calendar any time soon.
“It is not a problem of infrastructure, but the costs that would be incurred in hosting a grand prix,” said Benvenuti.
“In the current context, no circuit is able to meet these costs without the support of political institutions or generous sponsors,” he added.
“It is my belief that Formula 1 should think again, taking into account the changed economic conditions and the risk that none of the race tracks that created the very myth of F1 will be there anymore.”
Late last year it that a new, so-called ‘stability law’ passing through parliament could cost Monza, another fabled F1 venue, up to about €20 million in tax exemptions.
Monza-750x501.jpg
This in turn could impact on their ability to pay the fees required by FOM to host the grand prix.
Around the same time Bernie Ecclestone revealed that the current contractual terms with the Autodromo Nazionale are a disaster, and threatened that “after 2016, bye-bye” to Formula 1 at the venue.
But Francesco Ferri, the new director of the Monza race organiser Sias, insists Monza would survive even without the iconic Italian Grand Prix.
But the question being asked is: can the sport at the highest level afford to shed the circuits which have been an integral part and parcel of Formula 1 history?

ROSBERG: 2015 WILL BE A DUEL WITH LEWIS AGAINST ME AGAIN

Nico-Rosberg-Lewis-Hamilton-IWC-SIHH-Day

Nico Rosberg expects another Formula One title duel with Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton but no challenge from fellow-German former champion Sebastian Vettel who is now at Ferrari.
Rosberg told Bild that he is highly optimistic ahead of the season starting on 15 March in Australia, after three rounds of testing beginning on 1 February.
“I am fully optimistic and believe it will be a duel with Lewis against me again,” Rosberg said.
Mercedes totally dominated the 2014 season in which Hamilton beat Rosberg for his second career world title. Mercedes also won the constructors’ list, ahead of Red Bull, surprise team Williams and Ferrari.
F1-Grand-Prix-of-Belgium-KuMBakaAcO5x-00
Rosberg named Red Bull and Williams big rivals again but doesn’t believe that Ferrari can turn around their fortunes despite getting the four-time champion Vettel from Red Bull.
Rosberg said changes can’t be achieved overnight, as he knows at Mercedes who struggled for several years before their breakthrough. Ferrari have not won a race since summer 2013, their last constructors’ title was 2008 and the last drivers’ title (from Kimi Raikkonen) 2007.
“I don’t want to appear arrogant but if I go by the 2014 results I can risk it all and say no to a Ferrari challenge although one should never fully write them off,” Rosberg said.
“Sebastian will see my taillights on many occasions,” Rosberg vowed.
MIKA: Wow, don't know what to think about Hamiltons new look....?
MC Hammer one day and now Hipster Hamilton lol3.gif

RENAULT AIMS TO HALVE GAP TO MERCEDES IN 2015

14300614227_68a31e1ee0_o-750x500.jpg

Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul has admitted that his company’s power unit was about 60 horse power down on dominant 2014 Formula 1 title winners Mercedes last year.
“We estimate the gap between our engine and that of Mercedes at the end of the season to be about 60 horse power,” he revealed to the broadcaster Canal Plus.
But Renault and also struggling Ferrari won a crucial political battle over the winter and can now work on their turbo V6 power units throughout 2015.
Abiteboul said: “We hope to close the gap by half, from the start of the season in Melbourne.
“Unlike Mercedes, we will start with the 2015 version of our engine, which is the same for Red Bull and Toro Rosso,” he added.
“To date, we have used about two thirds of our allowed (32) ‘tokens’ to develop our engine this year. Our goal is to win at least five races this season,” said the Frenchman.
In 2014, works Renault team Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo was the only non-Mercedes driver to win, getting to the chequered flag first three times compared to Mercedes’ 16.

SAUBER GREY LIVERY DITCHED FOR BLUE AND YELLOW SCHEME

massa-curb-750x500.jpg

Sauber looks set to ditch its white and grey livery of the past few years, for prominent blue and yellow for the 2015 Formula 1 world championship season.
That is the claim of the Portuguese-language publication Universo, claiming the Swiss team’s colour choice is in deference to new driver Felipe Nasr’s major backer Banco do Brasil.
Last year, 22-year-old rookie Brazilian and former Williams reserve Nasr finished the GP2 season in third place with the striking blue and yellow Banco do Brasil-branded Carlin car.
Universo also reported a tale of mere survival for Sauber over the winter, having momentarily stopped developing the new C34 car due to running out of funds.
In 2015, Nasr’s teammate will be the similarly well-backed Marcus Ericsson, who switches from the ailing backmarker Caterham.
The publication said the delayed development, with Sauber only receiving its new 2015 engines from Ferrari on Saturday, could mean the team has to sit out the first winter test at Jerez.
Sauber has also not announced a launch date for the C34, but when contacted, the Hinwil based team told Universo that it is “working to have the car ready for the first test in Jerez”.
As for the money issue, Sauber insisted the team “does not discuss financial matters in public”.
Swede Ericsson, meanwhile, was quoted by Speed Week: “The team had a disappointing 2014, no doubt, but everyone is eager to fight back and show everyone that they can do a good job.”
The new paint scheme is said to be reminiscent to the Sauber driven over a decade ago when the likes of Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen drove for the Swiss team.

Ferrari will race the SF15-T

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Ferr

Ahead of Friday's launch of their 2015 challenger, Ferrari have revealed the name of the new car, the SF15-T.
According to a team statement, "the current year and the 'T' for turbo combine in the name chosen by the people in Maranello.
"New this year, apart from the graphics, is the 'S' for Scuderia."
The announcement comes just days ahead of the unveiling of the new car, which will take place on Friday 30th January.
Two days later, the car will be in action at the Jerez circuit for the start of pre-season testing.

First FW37 laps for Bottas

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Valt

Valtteri Bottas will kick off Williams' pre-season with the team confirming that he will debut the new FW37.
Last season Williams bounced back in a phenomenal style as the team went from scoring five points in 2013 to 320 in 2014.
Added to that, Bottas and Felipe Massa netted nine podium results of which three were runner-up results.
This year Williams are looking to match - if not better - that result and will get their pre-season underway with the first test at Jerez.
The team has announced that Bottas will be in action on the opening two days before handing the car over to Massa for Day Three and Four.
The Jerez test begins Sunday 1 February.

Nico Rosberg in the Torture Chamber

To train his neck for the immense G-forces exerted when cornering, Nico Rosberg will spend hours in the 'Torture Chamber' lifting weights with his head in order to strengthen his neck muscles.

Formula 1 drivers can experience forces of around 3G on average for several seconds during a high-speed corner, several times a lap, hundreds of times a race and thousands of times a race weekend.
However, some of the harshest corners can reach up to 5G, that's five times the force of gravity pushing on an F1 drivers body.
If they didn't train their neck muscles, then it's likely after a handful of laps they wouldn't be able to drive the car at all due to fatigue.

LOTUS: THE E23 IS A MASSIVE STEP FORWARD FOR THE TEAM

ae0b1a5b-cd4d-4d1f-b7a9-194119955a9e-750

Lotus expect to be far more competitive this season with a new Formula One car that they hailed as a massive step forward on Monday.
Pictures of the Mercedes-powered E23 were released on the team website (www.lotusf1team.com) with a standard nose replacing the ‘twin-tusk’ solution that failed to deliver results last year.
Technical director Nick Chester (below) said the car was “a massive step forward” for the team, who finished fourth overall in 2013 but dropped to eighth last year with 10 points.
“It’s no secret that we struggled with last year’s car so we’ve targeted every area that caused us an issue. We’ve made strong progress in the wind tunnel as well as in areas such as packaging and cooling. We expect the E23 to perform far, far better than its predecessor,” he added.
Lotus, who have had financial difficulties, have switched from Renault to Mercedes power and retained their line-up of Frenchman Romain Grosjean and Venezuelan Pastor Maldonado.
79P3555-750x501.jpg
Chester said the engine change was likely to bring the biggest performance gain as well as greater reliability and driveability.
“The E22 did deliver good figures in the wind tunnel, even if it was difficult to unlock its potential, so we’ve paid more attention to making the characteristics of the car more adaptable,” he said.
“We know we’ve made a big step. We won’t know how our car will fare in relative terms until we’re out in action at a Grand Prix, but we certainly expect to be much more competitive than last year.”
Chief executive Matthew Carter said Lotus aimed to run the car at the opening pre-season test in Jerez starting 1 February.
“There is a huge push to get the car finished, but we are on course to be there,” he told media.
Carter said the team, who have lost some sponsors to Williams, had possibly shed too many staff last year but had rectified the situation.
“Our budget for this year, although reduced compared to 2013, is similar to last season,” he said. “We have a couple of new sponsors that, although not featured on the car today, will be there for the first race.
“A lot of the back office work at the business is producing results, so financially we are looking good.”

WOLFF: LEWIS AND NICO BEST AND STRONGEST DRIVER COMBINATION

hamilton_i_rosberg_w_bobby_cars_zdj_31-7

Talks to renew world champion Lewis Hamilton’s contract are finally set to commence, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff has announce, while declaring that the Silver Arrows have the best driver line-up in Formula 1.
Wolff sounded optimistic that despite not yet agreeing a new deal, the two sides will ultimately stay together, “We have not yet agreed because we have not sat down together.”
“At the end of last season, we did not want to disrupt Lewis’ focus. Now he is back from vacation, we will sit together in the near future, added the Austrian.
“I can say: both parties want to extend. For us, Lewis and Nico is the best and strongest driver combination and we therefore have no reason to change anything.
5971305032128321205-750x500.jpg
“Lewis feels good in the team,” he added. “We give him the best car. That speaks for a common future.”
Hamilton’s current contract expires at the end of this year, and Wolff has already declared that Fernando Alonso and Valtteri Bottas are at the front of the queue should Hamilton not stay.
Indeed, Sport Bild claims that Spaniard Alonso has a corresponding exit clause in his new McLaren-Honda deal.
“I cannot comment,” Wolff insisted. “Only this: it’s always good to be prepared for all eventualities. Alternatives are always important. But they are alternatives, not priorities.”