Hitting up Lake Erie for some ice fishing

forgop

You should have a blast. My brother and cousin went a few times and were amazed at catching so many and turning loose 8-13lb fish looking for the bigger 15+lb fish.

Well, I had a "reservation" with a guide only to get a message tonight as follows:

We have to cancel the rest of our ice fishing season, due to conflicting with capt. Mikes work schedule

Now I'm looking for some other guides in the area to still make the trip for Feb 9th because it's literally the only day I can squeeze in where there will be ice because my brother and I have very conflicting work schedules.

That's really crappy for a guide to not have the knowledge to properly book his own schedule. You should make sure to post this on any fishing boards that you frequent.

I think there's something big that happened with regards to this happening and forcing him to call it off. I think the guide had some additional people working with him that must have literally not shown up to work and left people hanging and fired them as a result. I'm speculating, but there had to be something going on that made him call off the season.

I would call them up and see if they can recommend someone to guide you. Guides are usually friends with other guides and locals who really know their stuff. With some luck maybe he can hook you up and still make things happen. Could be something as serious as a medical condition that my be preventing his season.

Funny thing is this guy was actually referred by an erie guide.thst doesn't go on the ice..she gave me a couple others to check on.

That said, they're expected to get hit with a bunch of snow and make it nearly impossible to go.

I would assume you want to stay on the US side? If not you should look at Bay of Quinte. There are a few guides there that I'm sure could put you guys on the fish. There will be a big storm coming in on Sunday so it could be bad out there.

I ended up not being able to go. Couple the foot or so of snow with some warming weather over the weekend, I wasn't sold on making a 4 hour drive for a guide I wasn't sold on to then invest $200 on a one day trip. I will likely schedule it out next January to give me 2-3 days in a row where I can get on the ice.

• 2 weeks later...