Aged Cardboard Packs ....Opinion

2 hours ago, anjimj said:

Just found a empty Churchill box for my Esplendidos that were in cardboards. It worked out great. 

Thanks!  I have an empty oliva v lancero box from about a decade ago.  That is my current game plan.

5 hours ago, anjimj said:

I always go to my B&M and they always have some empty cigar boxes. Just found a empty Churchill box for my Esplendidos that were in cardboards. It worked out great. 

Brilliant, I just went and asked them for an empty Churchill box for my cardboard packed Espies. They wouldnt even take a dollar for the box, said it saved them the hassle of recycling them.

Anyone ever thought of taking the cigars out of the cardboard and putting them in a plastic bag which would then reside inside a humidor? Just spitballing here..

I've had mostly less than satisfactory experience with cigars that have sat in petacas for any length of time.

Whenever I purchase petacas I move them to boxes or the singles drawers. Much better result over time.

Man I hope those 2016 Trinidad Coloniales carton packs that were just on 24:24 aren't suffering any...  I jumped on them so fast I didn't even consider the packaging.

19 minutes ago, slowsmoke said:

Man I hope those 2016 Trinidad Coloniales carton packs that were just on 24:24 aren't suffering any...  I jumped on them so fast I didn't even consider the packaging.

I had a 2011 monte 3 cardboard 3 pack a while back off the shelf from an lcdh and it was one of the best cigars I ever tasted.  Chocolate, Graham cracker and coffee cake flavors all swirling and evolving the whole way through.  I dont think it's a guarentee for a dud but definitely avoiding it in the future.  But now all I can do is think of how good it couldve been...

Enjoy your colonials and please update us on them.

There were some cardboard packs of 15 ( 5 X 3 ) H. Upmann Magnum 46 from 2005 coming out of Spain about 5-6 years ago.

Some online retailers go their hands on them too. Plus, I'd be fairly sure that they were used in the first Spanish Vintage Series jars of 19 Mag 46.

I got two 15 packs, smoked right through one of them and repacked the other in an empty Mag 46 SLB.

They're fantastic cigars, lovely wrappers, burn and great flavours, even though they were in cardboard for 8-10 years.

• Like 1

If the packs were stored around 65% I have never noticed any musty or moldy smell and the cigars were just as good or bad as the dress box brothers and sisters. If you buy aged cardboard packs, you don’t really know how they were stored previously so there can be issues (though, the same can apply to dress boxes, IMO). I got a bunch of HDM DD from 2003 in petacas a few years back and a lot of them were just as good as my 2003 50 cab. They just were not as consistent from pack to pack. I personally keep all my cigars in their original packaging, be it tubo, petaca, ...

• Like 1

I've been lucky with older cardboard packs. Various HdM's, old La Escpecion, 2005 Mag46', Siglo II's, Trini Reyes, Coloniales.  I find they have an uncanny sweetness to them.  I'm not sure if I read or heard via discussions with various people that the cardboard boxes are made in Cuba and that their wood pulp is almost free of any chemical treatments.  And the cellulose is basically as sugar.  So perhaps some of that "rubs off"?  I do notice there is a huge cold aroma difference from the petacas to SLB, or cab versions of cigars.  With the petacas' aroma being better. 

• Like 1

I honestly have never noticed an issue other than faint cardboard smell on a few that didn’t, to me, effect flavor.  

But, based on comments here, I don’t see any downside to removing, especially if there’s an alternative box/slb for storage.  

• Like 1

I never mind buying in cardboard if the price is irresistable.  However, once i receive them, I always take the sticks out and put them in a tray or drawer in the humidor.  I never leave them in the cardboard packs.  I have smoked a few sticks that were left in cardboard for several years and the aging process was not the same as boxes or for loose sticks.  I like having tubos for portablilty, but I don't want to pay 3-5 extra per stick to have it in a tube.

• Thanks 1

i dont have much experience with cardbboard. but im very excited to be getting those 2016 cardboard triny colonials that were up on 2424 last week. my 2018 psp box i recently got is smoking so well, interested to see the difference between the two

I'll be the minority here: cannot tell whether a cigar has been aged in a petaca or a box. I usually smoke through 3 and 5 packs faster than boxes, because I use them to see if I like a cigar enough to buy one. But I have some laying around here and there that i've just kind of forgotten about. I definitely cannot taste any cardboard or anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely lose flavour after several years. If I happen to buy any cardboard packs now I pull em out ASAP.