I agree, super classy brand. Maybe that's why it's being killed, classy and Cuban cigars are starting to be strange bedfellows. It seems to all be about big, loud and obnoxious cigars. sad.png

None of the RE releases have been able to hold a candle to the Corona, Grand Corona, Panetela or Imperials in balance or reflection of what makes QDO unique in Cuba nevermind worldwide.

I wonder how long the corona has to last. It cant be good business to have a $8 cigar that outclasses the latest $100 Cohiba Dongmaster 3000

It oozes class, I agree. Everything from the box to the band speaks to a time when cigar smoking was the height of elegance and sophistication. Sometimes, those days feel like they've slipped away. What a shame.

Even looking at the RE releases, the horrible, cheap, neon bands tell you that the era of the classic QdO is passing.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares? We want stubby cigars with a 56 rg that can be smoked in 30 minutes and which price could buy 5 or 6 petits coronas, don't we?

A few years ago ( maybe 2004 or 2005 ) I asked about some diplomaticos and q'do's at the store on 63rd & avenida premiera in vara . The answer I got ( re q'do's ) was ... They don't stock many be

I agree, super classy brand. Maybe that's why it's being killed, classy and Cuban cigars are starting to be strange bedfellows. It seems to all be about big, loud and obnoxious cigars. None of the R

I agree, super classy brand. Maybe that's why it's being killed, classy and Cuban cigars are starting to be strange bedfellows. It seems to all be about big, loud and obnoxious cigars. :(

None of the RE releases have been able to hold a candle to the Corona, Grand Corona, Panetela or Imperials in balance or reflection of what makes QDO unique in Cuba nevermind worldwide.

I wonder how long the corona has to last. It cant be good business to have a $8 cigar that outclasses the latest $100 Cohiba Dongmaster 3000

Can't stop laughing. This is so true. Every time I go to my B&M I see everyone smoking 60-70 ring gauge NC sticks. IMHO the best tasting and most complex sticks are CC's 42-48 ring gauge sticks. 46 being my favorite. It is sad to see Cuba going to bigger gauges, although some are good.

Damn. I've never tried this one but now I REALLY want to buy a box! I'm not sure I can part with the money though, considering I've never tried a Qdo before. Decisions, decisions...

If you've never had a Quai d'Orsay before, spending about $300 for a full box of Imperiales should not be your priority. The Imperiale is not a cigar for every one.

• Like 2

To be fair - when was the last time you bought a box of these? My first one ever was only a few months ago... Not exactly hot sellers these. :(

That's true...except today when El Pres put up a few boxes on today's 24:24 deals.

Wait... they're discontinuing a Julieta #2 and coming out with a 56RG RE!?

We need to start a betting pool as to when the trend will return to smaller RG sticks. I mean, this big RG trend can't continue into the future ad infinitum, right? Right!?pod.gif

Question...

How many people bought the RE's as soon as it came out, but never even thought about the GC and Panatela until they were discontinued??? The same goes for Diplomaticos, ERDMs, LGCs, etc. There's your answer!

• Like 1

I think these are often over-looked and don't sell because they are a very good subtle cigar but not great. Simple band, not a well known marca and you sort of take for granted that they'll be there when you want them while you're spending all your coin on the new great thing or new regional and you sort of say "yeah. eventually I'll get around to ordering a box". Now you can't. I think that's why they didn't sell and that's these will now sell like crazy. You can't take them for granted anymore.

• Like 1

Funny now to hear everyone crying about loosing them ... All yall should have been buying them a decade ago and they wouldn't be discontinued now .

Further to this ... How come on all the cigar forums on the " daily smoke " thread ... The vast majority of pics are of cigars with two or more bands and 50 rg or more ??? Guys someone (here as well as not online ) is buying all these double banded smokes or they would not be making them .

confirmed pedestrian cigar smoker

Derrek

Derrek,

You make a great point. A lot of what you see in "daily smoke" threads are all the big "blingy" sticks and you're correct that had people been buying the old standards in the first place then perhaps they wouldn't be on the chopping block.

I believe that the more this happens, the more the online cigar community learns about how their collective behaviour "might" shape the decisions made by Habanos. It's a slow burn to learn the lesson. Often, it has been too late. I've been guilty of chasing the RE and EL bands as much as anyone else. Over time, I've had the opportunity to try cigars from friends that I would not normally buy and that has affected my buying decisions going forward. I now try to stock up on regular production I like and only sample an RE and LE here and there. Should they happen to be to my liking, I'll consider a full box purchase.

in the case of the Imperiales, Keith turned me on to them a while back. I enjoyed them and picked up a box. With this news, I picked up another. I haven't been smoking long enough to really lament the loss of some popular sticks. The RA898 for instance was pretty much gone by the time I started smoking. The Partagas SDC line too. By the time I tried them all, they were gone. sad.png The trend towards larger RG cigars just seems to be growing and that's a shame. When I talk to new smokers and they rave about a Lancero or Dalia sized Cuban they enjoyed, I see the potential for a turnaround. Who knows? wink.png

• Like 4

Some online vendors also already sold out of the QdO - nothing gets these things snapped up faster than a discontinuation... if I was HSA, I know what I would be doing... teacher.gif

I for one haven't tried the Cohiba supremos (they are every where here) yet or the current LEs and i am not interested at all. I despise the ring gauge. I recently stumbled upon a local B&M that not many seem to know about. He has stocks of Punch RS#12, Partagas SdC #1,#2, QdO Imperiales. I will be smoking a lot of stuff from my humidor this month just to make up room for these. Will buy as much as I can.

Joining favorites ERDM Tainos, LGC Tainos.... Great churchills with class going away. What a shame.

Had a Tainos (LGC) the other night. Classy is a good description!