Share your journey from NC to CC

Curious, from new and not so new members... was there a time when you loved many NC's and did it change when you found CC's?

I have only loved select NC's and I still do.

I enjoy both NC's and CC's - Both have pros and cons IMO but I guess I stick to the sticks I enjoy between both.

My first ever cigar was a Padron 3000 Natural, I enjoyed that with my dad whilst hunting in Gipsland for deer. Ever since that time, I enjoyed cigars and to this day LOVE Padrons. Their consistency and quality is one of the best, if not THE best IMO.

• Like 2

NC to me have a totally different profile so its kinda like comparing apples to oranges.Nevertheless i'll still pick a Quorum Corona any day compared to many other pricier NCs.

So far for the CCs i like the H.Upmann HC and an aged Quintero Brevas.

One of my favorite early cigar experiences was with a Padron "A". And eventually found Opus X to be my favorite of the NC's. But something happened after a couple months with mostly CC's. I had no idea how much I would prefer the taste in a CC. Tried a few old favorite NC's in the last few months, Opus, Padron, Illusione, couldn't taste much unfortunately. I've seen many here talk about enjoying NC's early on but not so much after they got into CC's. Just wondering if it's a natural progression for most?

• Like 1

I first started with cc's (my wife is Cuban and she introduced me to cigars). Over the years i also bought many nc's (probably too many) my stock is about 60% NC's and 40% CC's. There are many NC's that i have now that i won't buy again but there are definitely a few NC'S that i like and i will continue to buy them. With that being said most of my purchase will be cc's from now on.

• Like 1

I've seen many here talk about enjoying NC's early on but not so much after they got into CC's. Just wondering if it's a natural progression for most?

For me it was a natural progression to CC's purely because in the first instance it was the allure of smoking "A Cuban" cigar which made me try one and then of course you're smacked in the face with the complexity of a CC which made me continue to enjoy them.

smoked cc's back in the boom days and liked them. smoked a ton of nc's for years, davidoffs and pardons favs, then had a couple of cc's about 5-6 years ago and dumped the nc's. no comparison to my mind, the cc's are just vastly superior, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Curious, from new and not so new members... was there a time when you loved many NC's and did it change when you found CC's?

I feel like you have been witnessing my progression first hand the last few months. I am now finding old favorite NCs just don't have the complexity they once did. They all seem to be "flat" compared to CCs.

Every now and then I still get a good NC, but CCs are definitely gaining favor quickly.

I had my eye on cigars well before I could legally buy them (relatively not too long ago to put it in perspective). When I was 18 I bought a Macanudo Hampton Court and enjoyed it by myself on the balcony porch. It was a great experience. While in college I had an occasional cigar, usually a Fuente, Padron, or Ashton. During that time my interest in cigars only got more intense, and my reading on the subject turned more towards CCs. I found the famous CC website, cigar forums etc. I was finally able to get a hold of a box of monte 2s and bought my first humidor. The cigars were questionable, and still to this day don't really know about their authenticity. Only because of their incredible inconsistency, but now I know better. But I continued and I'm still trying new cigars of both flavors, but my humidors get filled with CCs.

My view on NCs has changed quite a bit. But there are still a few brands in which I hold in high regard, Opus, some Padron, Tatuaje, Flor de las Antilles, and a few other less common brands, but for the most part CCs are way more interesting, in their history as well as their aroma and flavor. The pricing also makes much more sense. To get a great NC, AFAIC, you have to pay at least 12 dollars. Divide that by three for ccs. There are a lot of pretenders in the NC market, making it incredibly diluted.

• Like 1

I'll echo the Padron comments. I had a '64 anni last week that was blah. Even the ones that taste good draw like a wind tunnel. One of my all time cigars though is an 80th Maduro.

Yep. Just had a 64 Natural that was a wind tunnel and only tasted like wood. I expected so much more. I should just smoke a Jose Piedra next time, and pocket the change.

Love the Padrons.:love:

Like and enjoy better CCs, but I put padron natural next and close to a cuban, witch I cuban cigar is more smoother and not to bad after taste, witch that's what I like IMO..... Even my wife love me better when I smoke a cuban because, she saids (u don't smell that bad) lol...

• Like 1

Started with NC, went to all CC, went back and dabbled with NC (but only long and skinnies and a box buynif NUBS) and back to CC.

Not that I wanted to compare NC's to CC's, but was just looking for a great cigar to smoke in a size I enjoy. Having said that, I enjoy more of the flavor profiles CC's have to offer. But I'm not opposed to buying NC's again if I like the cigar. I.e. I'm pretty deep on the.Quesada Selection de Espana.

A good cigar is a good cigar, no matter where it's from.

Sometimes, I agree, a good cigar is a good cigar. I would imagine that I will always sneak in a Padron, Liga Privada or Flor de las Antillas into my inventory but my heart is now set on CC's. I started on CC's through my brother-in-law, picked up some NC's on a trip to the US, and I've stuck to CC's since.

NC to me have a totally different profile so its kinda like comparing apples to oranges.Nevertheless i'll still pick a Quorum Corona any day compared to many other pricier NCs.

So far for the CCs i like the H.Upmann HC and an aged Quintero Brevas.

I do enjoy those Quorum Coronas also. I am still clearing out the NCs from the coolidor to make room for the CCs. Just had an Aging Room F55 today from a batch of singles I bought a while back. A very windy draw with a lacklustre flavour that just dragged on and on.

It is true though. What were once brilliant life changing cigars are now well mediocre at best. It is funny I used to think a cigar was a cigar. Boy oh boy have I matured.

Will be getting a bundle of Quorums for the summer though. And actually finding the pipe to be a very enjoyable way of puffing an getting work done. No need to babysit and a bowl can last me two days.

I feel like you have been witnessing my progression first hand the last few months.

I was thinking of you when asking this question, definitely hearing a transition from you in our vherfs!

NC to me have a totally different profile so its kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

I love apples and oranges, but I can still taste both and enjoy both...but unfortunately I can't seem to taste most NC's anymore.

As much as I love CC's there is still something about Nica and DR tobacco that sits well on my pallete. Padron, Fuente, Tatuaje, and most things Pepin will always have a place in my humi. But that Cuban tobacco though.... heavenly.

My progression went as follows:

-200 Count desktop humidor with NC with about 100 or so NC

-A GREAT BOTL gifted me a sampler of some CC

-Found a reputable source and purchased a box of Bolivar PC

-Currently I have an almost full fridgeador full of CC and have exactly 3 NC sticks

It's not that I dislike NC, it's just that too many NC harsh and unpleasant. Sometimes I'm still in the mood for a good maduro or something to really hit me in the mouth and I'm content to smoke an NC like a Padron or a Davidoff or an Illusione.

The thing is the allure of forbidden fruit is now gone. I can get what I want (usually). There's just something to cuban tobacco. It doesn't overhwelm my nasal passage or palate. Some people enjoy that, I do not.

• Like 1

Talk about a "perfect topic"...

I am literally reading this thread while smoking my very first CC - Monte #2

Until now I've spent about 3 months on various NCs, mostly enjoying the Arturo Fuente (Anejos and Short Story), Flor the las Antillas and Curivari Buenaventura

Very very first impressions:

1) very different, subtle but complex

2) much milder than what I like in NCs, yet not upsetting

Alex

• Like 1

I enjoy both, but find the NCs have way too many options that pretty much suck. There are so many more terrible NCs than great ones that it makes it a financially losing proposition for me. To compare dollar for dollar, I will almost always spend on a cuban. If you are expecting a NC to taste like a CC, you will always be disappointed. If you are looking for something different and perhaps a little more spice, then you might be happy with a NC (if you purchase a quality one). I find it interesting that the NC world really jumped from Dominican to Nicaraguan tobacco.

Talk about a "perfect topic"...

I am literally reading this thread while smoking my very first CC - Monte #2

Until now I've spent about 3 months on various NCs, mostly enjoying the Arturo Fuente (Anejos and Short Story), Flor the las Antillas and Curivari Buenaventura

Very very first impressions:

1) very different, subtle but complex

2) much milder than what I like in NCs, yet not upsetting

Alex

I think you've hit the 'nail on the head' as to what I've enjoyed about CC's...cool, mild and flavoursome cigars that are often distinctive from NC's.