Poor seal on humidors

Vinnyp50

I have 3 humidors (2 Havana foot lockers and 1 desk top humidor) each about half full with Cuban cigars. I'm in NJ and of course part of my problem is the dry weather, but my humidors won't keep Rh for the life of me. They are running 56-59. I have Heartfelt beads in each of them, and a few small Boveda bags. I believe I have enough Heartfelt beads in each based on measurements. I conditioned each humidor when I got them. I think I have a bad seal on each. I tried the dollar bill test and each of the Havana foot lockers were a little loose. Was thinking about putting 1/8th inch weather sealing on each, but afraid the humidors won't close then. Any thoughts? Checked my digital hygrometers also.

Thanks,

-Vinny

It almost certainly will not close or seal nicely if you put something as bulky as 1/8" stripping on a mating surface. If the humidor is well acclimated to the environment in which they are kept (meaning they've been there for at least a few weeks) and they still don't seal well, the first thing I'd do is check for high spots that might be preventing good closure.

An easy way to do this is to rub some chalk on the entire face of one of the mating surfaces. Close the lid then look for transfer to the other surface. Those will be the high spots and with a little careful sanding, you should be able to bring those down. Chalk like that rubbed off of classroom chalk sticks is preferred because it's pretty innocuous and easy to clean up. Don't use surveyor's colored chalk or talc. The former will leave color stains and the latter is often perfumed.

Keep in mind that humidity retention will depend on your frequency of opening and stock turnover.

Wilkey

I keep my apartment around 70-74 degrees. My hygrometers usually read around 68-70.

my humidors won't keep Rh for the life of me. They are running 56-59.

at what temp?

Thanks, I'll try this. Just didn't want to buy all new humidors if I didn't have to as they are large humidors.

It almost certainly will not close or seal nicely if you put something as bulky as 1/8" stripping on a mating surface. If the humidor is well acclimated to the environment in which they are kept (meaning they've been there for at least a few weeks) and they still don't seal well, the first thing I'd do is check for high spots that might be preventing good closure.

An easy way to do this is to rub some chalk on the entire face of one of the mating surfaces. Close the lid then look for transfer to the other surface. Those will be the high spots and with a little careful sanding, you should be able to bring those down. Chalk like that rubbed off of classroom chalk sticks is preferred because it's pretty innocuous and easy to clean up. Don't use surveyor's colored chalk or talc. The former will leave color stains and the latter is often perfumed.

Keep in mind that humidity retention will depend on your frequency of opening and stock turnover.

Wilkey

NJ here too! I keep a digital hygrometer in the coolidor / humidor room to keep track of the ambient humidity and it's currently 21% --- and that's in my basement!

Since the coolidors have an airtight seal, they have no problem whatsoever maintaining their target humidity range. My two humidors, on the other hand, are a different story. Due to the very dry ambient conditions, it'll be hell trying to keep that seal so you'll either have add more humidifiers or find a way to seal the unit better.

The simplest fix I found was to add masking tape around the non-lipped side (flat side) of the humidor. For my humidor, it was on the lid side. It's a simple fix and it works.

LIaeJxh.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, RickHendeson said:

Can you please specify exactly what kind of tape this was?  Thanks!

You do realise that this was posted 4 years ago, and the member in question hasn't logged in for over 16 months? I don't think he will be back to answer.

It was just masking tape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, RickHendeson said:

Thanks guys, and you are right!  Unfortunately it did not cure my woes. :(

Post a pic?  Some humidors never had a chance.  If you're handy in the shop, you can remake or shim the inserts.  Some people even resort to weather stripping.  ? It's never pretty.