Custom rolls

After being unable to bring home any 'hamlets' from my week in Havana last year and having met and sampled a couple. This years impromptu varadero trip I sought out some of Alphonso' customs before I left. Unfortunately he wasn't around but I managed to grab a dozen I selected from their stock. I have only smoked two robustos which were most definitely way way above what I paid in quality I fired up one of the churchills I've been saving tonight and I gotta say it's by no small margin the best cigar I've smoked in a long time. Arrow straight burned perfectly and having never been great at describing cigars I'd say that it was just pure class. Complex changing flavours, spicy yet smooth as can be creamy then a rush of floral pot pourri in just the right strength. Id first like to thank the members for turning me on to his wares and second love to hear fr members what their experiences have been like w custom rolls. Where did you find them and who rolled them.

Cheers guys

post-9897-0-61570800-1424052598_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Senor Alfonso is hands down my favorite roller in all of Cuba. Been saying it for a couple years now. I know quality of tobacco has the largest influence on quality of the cigar, but he seems to have a magic touch even with very mediocre tobacco. On my last visit, half my cigar allowance were boxes (Upmann RR, Conn. A..), other half were Alfonso rolls, mostly robusto, but some pyramid and edmundo sizes in there as well.

So excellent.

• Like 2

Agreed, Alfonso at the Calle 63 LCDH does some really nice custom rolls. I still have one robusto and one piramide I think.

Other favourite is Monsdales, from Jorge at Club Habana in Miramar, and Reynaldo's customs (from the Conde De Villaneuva).

A shame that Hamlet isn't the house roller for the RyJ factory / storefront anymore. He's a great ambassador for Habanos. Hopefully he gets to take that position again soon.

• Like 1

Does anyone know which roller might have been rolling at the Habana Libre Hotel back in 2012? I know it's a long shot to know this, but I stayed there and each person in our group was given a custom roll and several of the group gifted their cigars to me. I was really ignorant then of custom rolls and didn't appreciate fully what I had. I smoked them not long after returning home. Might have been just another roller, but might have been somebody, and I've always been curious to know who it may have been.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but its not totally off topic. I've had very limited experience with customs. Bartolomeo recently gifted me a couple of customs and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks again, Ryan.

• Like 1

Does anyone know which roller might have been rolling at the Habana Libre Hotel back in 2012? I know it's a long shot to know this, but I stayed there and each person in our group was given a custom roll and several of the group gifted their cigars to me. I was really ignorant then of custom rolls and didn't appreciate fully what I had. I smoked them not long after returning home. Might have been just another roller, but might have been somebody, and I've always been curious to know who it may have been.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but its not totally off topic. I've had very limited experience with customs. Bartolomeo recently gifted me a couple of customs and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanks again, Ryan.

Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe that is Yolanda.

Personally I am a huge fan of Juanita at the Riviera.

Reynaldo is phenomenal as well.

But the mons blend at club havana is the absolute best.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

Yolanda works at the Melia Habana.

There are two regular rollers in front of the shop at the Havana Libre. They work on alternate days.

The older man is Mario Lopez, very nice man. He has been there since at least 2011 when I first met him.

I'm a big fan of his panetelas, lovely, sweet volado-only cigars.

I don't know the other roller there.

Nice picture, just a question how many rollers do their own custom blends, thanks

Just about every shop in Havana has its own house roller, off the top of my head, at least 15-20 shop rollers in Havana, I don't know Varadero at all. The term "Custom blends" can be contentious, but they do generally blend their own cigars. The idea is to show tourists how cigars are rolled, then the cigars can be sold.

Some shops, the better known ones, seem to get more tobacco for these cigars than others.

No one Is talking of the great cigar boss, Hector Luis Prieto at his farm he has a great roller called,

"Miguel" who only rolls a Robusto Extra cigar that Is really great and tastes like the smells of all that surounds his farm. king.gif

Guy

• Like 3

No one Is talking of the great cigar boss, Hector Luis Prieto at his farm he has a great roller called,

"Miguel" who only rolls a Robusto Extra cigar that Is really great and tastes like the smells of all that surounds his farm. king.gif

Guy

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great cigars, great persons. They treated me like family when I was there.

• Like 3

Agreed with others - Yolanda is at the Melia Habana. And, I always get her and/or that hotel mixed up with the Melia Cohiba. LOL. Yolanda is at the Melia out in Miramar, on the waterfront. And, don't know if it helps, but yes, like Andy said - Mario Lopez, a kind, quiet older gent, I think that's who you might be thinking of Stogielover, as he was there in November 2012 when we were there.

I always think the Melia habana looks like a British 60's multi storey car park. Love Yolanda's cigars and the ladies that work in the store showed how to check a cigar for draw. my god did I blush .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when it bloody works properly

Agreed with others - Yolanda is at the Melia Habana. And, I always get her and/or that hotel mixed up with the Melia Cohiba. LOL. Yolanda is at the Melia out in Miramar, on the waterfront. And, don't know if it helps, but yes, like Andy said - Mario Lopez, a kind, quiet older gent, I think that's who you might be thinking of Stogielover, as he was there in November 2012 when we were there.

Thanks, Keith. That pretty well describes the fellow I watched rolling customs there.

• 2 weeks later...