Custom rolls

• 3 weeks later...

Update : just smoked my second of my latest haul and it's confirmed they are officially my smoke of the year. Had one back to back w a sir winnie and gotta say I loooove my Winnie's but the custom was by far the better rolled and somehow more flavourful and balanced. I would highly recommend anyone heading to varadero to grab as many as you can. Or actually don't because I'm planning on going back and buying him out :).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

anybody ever not freeze custom rolls? stick them in a ziplock, open them up a couple times a week and let it air out, then stick them back in? I've always frozen my customs, but i wonder if they'll be okay if i keep the temp/humidity a little bit on the lower side. Anyone try not freezing them?

anybody ever not freeze custom rolls? stick them in a ziplock, open them up a couple times a week and let it air out, then stick them back in? I've always frozen my customs, but i wonder if they'll be okay if i keep the temp/humidity a little bit on the lower side. Anyone try not freezing them?

I'm curious as to why you'd take the risk.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried the custom rolled cigars from Finest Cuban? (tobacco aged 5 yrs)...I ordered a variety of robustos, prems, short churchhills to try out......however it's stuck at Oz customs for over a week (who knows when they will send me the release note)...

let me know your thoughts on these sticks...

• 3 years later...
On 3/17/2015 at 11:28 PM, bbguardsp said:

Have some Conde 109 custom rolls from Carlos Fernandez and boy are they the spiciest cigars with cuban tobacco ive ever encountered. Im a fan on nicaraguan cigars so they hit my palette perfectly.

Revisiting an old thread.  I have the ability to purchase some of these custom rolls from Carlos Fernandez through a LCDH that he will be visiting.  He will be rolling a variety of shapes, sizes and blends.  Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which are his better blends and sizes? 

I'm glad someone revived this thread as I am usually hesitant to buy bespoke cigars from sites. Normally I opt for the marcas I know. I'm not sure if posting about this would violate the forum rules however if anyone is able to grant me some advice please PM me. 

Gracias!

The best advice is to go to Cuba.

You will know what you are buying and you will pay peanuts for them. 

Second best advice is to have a mate pick them up. Cut him in on the buy for nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The best advice is to go to Cuba.

You will know what you are buying and you will pay peanuts for them. 

Second best advice is to have a mate pick them up. Cut him in on the buy for nothing. 

That second best advice is priceless. I have some Alex coming back later this week. A fine stick that young man can twist. The premium paid vs. the cost of my own travels is peanuts as well.

14 hours ago, Burningman said:

I'm glad someone revived this thread as I am usually hesitant to buy bespoke cigars from sites. Normally I opt for the marcas I know. I'm not sure if posting about this would violate the forum rules however if anyone is able to grant me some advice please PM me. 

Gracias!

Was not trying to violate any forum rules.  Was just looking to see if any members have tried of these custom rolls and had any recommendations

1 hour ago, VRATJV07 said:

Was not trying to violate any forum rules.  Was just looking to see if any members have tried of these custom rolls and had any recommendations

Your sweet. 

I haven't tried any of the Fernandez customs as yet. 

2 hours ago, VRATJV07 said:

Forgive me for not clarifying. I was referring to custom rolls offered on websites that sell Habanos online. A few offer bespoke cigars but I stick to the marcas I know. I was asking if anyone could shed some light as to the quality of these smokes.

On 7/19/2015 at 2:29 PM, daeji5 said:

I always freeze cigars, customs and branded.  I figure a few days of prevention is worth sticking them on the bottom of the cooler to be forgotten for 3-5 years.

11 minutes ago, JY0 said:

I did not care for Carlos F’s cigars. I know he rolled these as I was in the store when he rolled them. They were rolled perfectly, I just wasn’t a fan. 

I had some of his that were extra long lanceros (8.5 inches) and supposedly a "Behike" blend.  They sure tasted like the richest Cohiba I had ever had, with buttery, gingery grassy smoke underlain with bottomless spices, honey, coffee and cream.  Was very sad to see those go.

10 minutes ago, Burningman said:

Forgive me for not clarifying. I was referring to custom rolls offered on websites that sell Habanos online. A few offer bespoke cigars but I stick to the marcas I know. I was asking if anyone could shed some light as to the quality of these smokes.

The problem you have is that you have asked a question that requires a merchants name in order to reply. 

While you have asked for a PM, many won't see that. 

I don't think that any major vendor is selling bad customs. Some of them are very good.

Some have them relatively mass produced. 

Some bring them in by the suitcase (themselves or someone else). 

Consistency (over time) can be an issue but that is normal. 

Don't shortcut yourself on the journey. Order and try. You will get more (longterm) out of the ones you do not like than the ones you do. :ok:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, earthson said:

I always freeze cigars, customs and branded.  I figure a few days of prevention is worth sticking them on the bottom of the cooler to be forgotten for 3-5 years.

I had some of his that were extra long lanceros (8.5 inches) and supposedly a "Behike" blend.  They sure tasted like the richest Cohiba I had ever had, with buttery, gingery grassy smoke underlain with bottomless spices, honey, coffee and cream.  Was very sad to see those go.

Taste is subjective and is based on the tobacco available when rolled. Maybe I’ll give it another try. 

On 1/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, VRATJV07 said:

Revisiting an old thread.  I have the ability to purchase some of these custom rolls from Carlos Fernandez through a LCDH that he will be visiting.  He will be rolling a variety of shapes, sizes and blends.  Was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which are his better blends and sizes? 

I don’t care for the CF rolls, smoked many sizes, better options out there IMHO

3 hours ago, JY0 said:

I did not care for Carlos F’s cigars. I know he rolled these as I was in the store when he rolled them. They were rolled perfectly, I just wasn’t a fan. 

14 minutes ago, Bartolomeo said:

I don’t care for the CF rolls, smoked many sizes, better options out there IMHO

Thanks for you opinions fellas 

• Like 1