Conan O'Brien first American late-night host to film in Cuba since embargo

Conan O’Brien and a small crew flew to Havana Thursday and have spent the weekend filming for his TBS late-night show’s March 4 episode, becoming the first American late-night show to film in Cuba since the US embargo began in 1962.

The episode is intended to give O’Brien’s audience a rare glimpse into Cuban daily life, said show representatives in confirming the report to Deadline.

Jack Paar famously interviewed Fidel Castro for the Tonight Show in 1959, for which Paar got criticized in some circles.

Conan’s been talking about traveling to Cuba for a couple of months. He waited until now to go film the episode because his show does not do a live episode on President’s Day, giving him the needed travel time for the trip.

Source

I'm excited about this, Conan's remotes are notoriously funny and it'll be interesting to see how he presents Cuba to the late-night audience. I wonder if he'll bring the cigar-smoking puppet Triumph, the insult comic dog.

• Like 2

I like Conan also, and LOVE Triumph. He is far from the first show to head down there though. I know Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern both travelled there a couple years ago to film their respective shows. For sure there are more examples. The fact that Conan is a late night show really doesn't change anything.

I will look forward to it though. I hope it's as funny as he usually is.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget, the Conan in Cuba special airs tonight.

• Like 1

Wish I'd seen this thread 75 minutes ago shead.gif

Just watched it. He killed it. Very funny.

Most importantly, he showed the Cuban people as friendly, intelligent, able to speak English, and showed Havana as safe and inviting. Sexy dancers, cool musicians, cigar rollers, great restaurants, Cuban rum, he hit a lot of buttons. Just one more example of how Obama busting open the door is yielding a million cracks in the wall.

• Like 3

i wasnt that impressed, i thought a creative/out of the box guy like conan would show his audience things they wouldnt expect but it was rum, cigars, dancing...and the jokes were pretty lame.

Do you enjoy his humour normally?

I was in tears at some parts....very funny stuff.

• Like 2

I also thought the show was great. I think its cool that he had an idea that was pretty original and outside the box in this day and age. It was creative and funny and showed viewers the big hits that I think they would want to see while making it humorous. I commend him on a job well done.

I believe at the post show Q and A, Conan described how they needed to find a balance between being funny and paying respects to the rich culture of Cuba. They also didn't want to attract too much attention because they were afraid that the police would come and shut them down. Too much spectacle would have brought unwanted attention from the government but at the same time they wanted to let Conan be conan as much as possible. I think they also got scared that they would confiscate all of their footage so they made multiple backups and distributed it amongst the staff.

The wife and enjoyed watching this last night. Soo much so she now wants to go to Cuba next month! That was easy.