Are American Cigar Tastes Really That Different to International Cigar Tastes.

I think it is important to differentiate what sells to the masses from what enthusiasts like to smoke. I compare it to wine sales. Yellow Tail sells way more wine than a $50 bottle from a boutique winery that enthusiasts enjoy. Mass market vs. boutique market.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent about a dozen years smoking NC's. After switching to Cuban's two years ago, I was suprised to discover that Cubans are not necessarily stronger; to the contrary. I think a lot of NC's are ha

I will copy and post something I commented on from another forum I frequent. I think it fits very, very well here: "Remember in Soviet Russia when they realised smoking was a toll on their centralise

I was corresponding with a NC manufacturer last week and we were discussing an new upcoming line of cigars. It was interesting to hear his strategy on developing the line with two blends; one for th

I have figured it out Rob. Look at the Swisher Sweets of Cuba. There is only one, the bodega cigar. 5 cents a pop. Ugly, bad construction, veiny, rustic looking. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar it is a better cigar (at least more desirable) than a lot of cigars available in the US. But its not as marketable. John

Interesting. I don't have the source or know the exact statistics but I've heard that here in the US the vast majority of cigar sales are to customers who smoke one cigar or less per year The tradition of the wedding cigar, celebrating births, graduation with cigars etc are very popular here still . The infrequent smoker would likely tend to a milder and easier-to-stomach cigar than most aficionados, and I wonder if this is a factor in blending for a US market.

This is exactly what I was thinking... I think there are small groups of cigar lovers in the states that like a fuller bodies smoke, but for the most part (if one wants to appeal to a mass audience) a producer needs to keep it on the mellow side of things... My friends who only smoke a few a year definitely prefer them on the mild side.

"Consider that as much as 75% of the cigars sold in the US are the "Swisher Sweets/Philly Blunts" variety. This sets up a certain expectation for those times when those same consumers get to smoke a *fine* cigar: something that is going to feel big enough in the hand that they feel like a big man, and something that (ironically) is not going to offend their delicate stomachs:"

I'm not sure how much consideration I would give to this at all, as my perception is also that the vast, vast majority of Swisher Sweets/Philly Blunts are not smoked at all . . . at least not filled with the tobacco that came in them . . .

• Like 1

Name the NC brands who have made names for themselves selling mild cigars in the past ten years.

Now name the NC brands who have done so with strong cigars.

Its not that mild cigars don't sell in the US, its just that the people who smoke them are the least likely to try something new. Seems to me that if you wanted to get a cut of that US market for mild cigars (Macanudo, etc.) you would need to have the distribution and marketing to compete with them in selling to those once a year smokers who are gonna gravitate naturally towards those monolithic brands. Unless this manufacturer has the means to compete with the big boys on the mild cigar market, I'd think he would be better off with selling the fuller blend in the states.

The marketing and wholesale guidelines impact what is available at my two local b&m"s. Both have a great selection of mild-medium cigars and often do not have what I am looking for. Engaged in a discussion with both owners and they gave similar responses. They cited minimum dollar amount/box number purchases to obtain the medium to full bodied NC cigars that are sought after. Both would love to carry some of the NC cigars that I smoke but cannot sustain the overhead to take the risk. This limits options and creates narrowed selection of what can be ordered without the $$/number of boxes restrictions. This along with the marketing mentioned in several posts drives the market and has a major impact on small businesses. This impact is reduced or non existent for large retailers. For the person who will not shop online, you smoke what is available and find what you like based on availability. I would love to see the sales data based on geographical locations and size of the business. I would predict that the sales numbers would be skewed based on product availability. As a side note, I frequently give my local b&m owner cigars that I buy online and he enjoys them and would love to offer them in his store.

• Like 1

SNIP

As a side note, I frequently give my local b&m owner cigars that I buy online and he enjoys them and would love to offer them in his store.

/SNIP

I do the same thing to the owner my local b&m. They have a nice, well stocked humidor but it's all main stream cigars. I'm hoping they will soon carry the better boutique brands (Tatuaje, La Palina, Crowned Heads, etc.) as I would gladly throw more of my money their way. The one good thing is they do have a decent selection of full bodied, full strength sticks and as much as I like the LFD double ligeros, I find myself wishing that I had a Tatuaje Miami, or Mr Sam.

Back to the main topic: In the few lounges in our area, I notice that the majority of the regulars are smoking stronger over mild. Not sure if that's an East Coast thing but it seems pretty obvious in my neck of the woods.

Rob, like most of the replies here I thought your industry insider friend was way off base and it was the opposite of his assertion was true...then I started to ask myself...what if he's right (his success in business in the field points to his viewpoint being valid).

I could be mistaken but I believe the best selling hand-made cigar brand in the USA is Macanudo. The operative words being "best selling." Heck, I started on Macanudos back in '95 when I started smoking cigars. On occasion I have one while golfing (always for sale at golf courses). A few years ago they expanded their lines to include Robust and Maduro styles I think to get some more market share.

Then I really started thinking about Macanudo...they advertise a lot, never do well in rating magazines (on the rare occasions they get rated), are never buzz worthy, aren't sexy, the main complaint is they're too mild and lack character and strength...and yet year in year out they continue to be the best selling premium cigar brand in the USA.

All the in your face with power cigars grab all the ratings, headlines, and industry buzz but their sales numbers are well below Macanudo. From just a sales outlook Macanudo is the elephant in the room and it looks like you industry insider friend is a good business man and sees the industry beyond the hype.

• Like 1

When I travel I often meen with FOH guys. USA, Canada, Europe. Seems we all feel the same about our cigars. A couple of months ago, three of us stood up and walked out of Club Macanudo in NYC. It made our skin crawl.

As for non-Cuban cigar strength, perhaps they are so strong, that is why the bands are so big... just to keep everyone safe.

post-8371-0-99823800-1424724712_thumb.jp

As for non-Cuban cigar strength, perhaps they are so strong, that is why the bands are so big... just to keep everyone safe.

I think this is the best response so far!! lol