(Scotch) Whisky question

fookite

Looking to replace a bottle of Ardbeg 10 as my daily drinker at a ~$50 price point. Here's a ranking of stuff I like from most to least, with a blank representing a significant gap:

Lagavulin 16 ($80)

Ardbeg Uigeadail ($70)

Ardbeg 10 ($50)

Laphroaig QC ($55)

Bunnahabhain Toiteach ($?)

Laphroiag 10 ($45)

So, bearing in mind that I want to keep the cost in the lower range, I'm very interested in Caol Ila 12. Given that I love the Lagavulin 16, do you think I would like the Caol Ila 12 more or less than the Ardbeg 10?

Any other suggestions?

Some other options:

Port Charlotte Scottish Barley Heavily Peated

Laphroaig Triple Wood

?

If you haven't tried it then you should give it a shot - the peat profile is sort of a cross between the Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10.

Not really considered "ashy" and not particularly "medicinal" for lack of better descriptions.

Otherwise I would go with the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a serious money saver (and you're not afraid to go blended) the black grouse is decent and points in the direction of an Isla. It's where I go after having my glass of Lagavulin if I'm switching to cheaper stuff.

I love the ardbeg 10. If you want something different try:

Glenfarclas 15

Springbank

Aberlour A'bunadh

Benriach Curiositas peated

Bowmore Tempest

Caol Ila Destillers Edition

Glendronach 15 Rivival

Laphroaigh 18

Longrow

Talisker Destillers edition

Caol ila is a good scotch, I would try to tretch it to the destillers edition.

Good Luck and enjoy!

If you haven't tried it then you should give it a shot - the peat profile is sort of a cross between the Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10.

Not really considered "ashy" and not particularly "medicinal" for lack of better descriptions.

Otherwise I would go with the Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

I second that, especially the Laphroaig QC is good value imo. And if it doesn't necessarily have to be an Islay whisky, then I would also recommend the Talisker 10 as a reasonably priced alternative, with a more "medicinal" taste though, but pleasantly so.

Thanks everyone!

I think I will give the Caol Ila 12 a shot. The only DE that is available appears to run as much as the Lagavulin, so that's out, unfortunately.

The Longrow is an interesting option. It runs about $50 here, so it's in the ballpark. I liked the Longrow CV, though there was this really strange dried-out sweetness on the finish that I'm not sure how to feel about.

Looking to replace a bottle of Ardbeg 10 as my daily drinker at a ~$50 price point. Here's a ranking of stuff I like from most to least, with a blank representing a significant gap:

Lagavulin 16 ($80)

Ardbeg Uigeadail ($70)

Ardbeg 10 ($50)

Laphroaig QC ($55)

Bunnahabhain Toiteach ($?)

Laphroiag 10 ($45)

So, bearing in mind that I want to keep the cost in the lower range, I'm very interested in Caol Ila 12. Given that I love the Lagavulin 16, do you think I would like the Caol Ila 12 more or less than the Ardbeg 10?

Any other suggestions?

Some other options:

Port Charlotte Scottish Barley Heavily Peated

Laphroaig Triple Wood

?

Caol Ila and Port Charlotte are nothing like Ardbeg, so if you're looking for that extreme peat, maybe Octomore? Lagavulin might be to your liking, but $80 is way too much. Where are you located?

Caol Ila and Port Charlotte are nothing like Ardbeg, so if you're looking for that extreme peat, maybe Octomore? Lagavulin might be to your liking, but $80 is way too much. Where are you located?

Chicago.

Lagavulin is definitely to my liking, it's my favorite whisky. The question basically worked out to "If I like Lagavulin more than Ardbeg, and Ardbeg more than Laphroaig, would I like Caol Ila more than Ardbeg?."

Chicago.

Lagavulin is definitely to my liking, it's my favorite whisky. The question basically worked out to "If I like Lagavulin more than Ardbeg, and Ardbeg more than Laphroaig, would I like Caol Ila more than Ardbeg?."

The reason I asked is because there's a place in Maryland that sells Lagavulin for $44 a bottle.

Caol Ila is a much lighter bodied, fruity style of Islay. Nothing like Ardbeg and Lagavulin. That's why I like it and not Ardbeg.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I asked is because there's a place in Maryland that sells Lagavulin for $44 a bottle.

Caol Ila is a much lighter bodied, fruity style of Islay. Nothing like Ardbeg and Lagavulin. That's why I like it and not Ardbeg.

Sweet mercy that's cheap. Gotta be a price error. Never seen it cheaper than mid 60s

I'd do a road trip to MD for $44 Lagavulin.

Ended up grabbing a bottle of Caol Ila 12, it's fantastic. Still like the Lagavulin more, but it nudges out Ardbeg 10 in my book.

Sweet mercy that's cheap. Gotta be a price error. Never seen it cheaper than mid 60s

It's not a mistake- there's a store that sells Lagavulin 16 for $44. I guess you should come out this way and buy a case.

I like Caol Ila- I don't like Ardbeg or Lagavulin- I'm surprised that if that is your go-to, that you would like Caol Ila, as the peat level is much less intense and it is a more fruity style of Islay.

Went to a Bruichladdich event the other day and got to meet Jim McEwan and sample a number of their current expressions. Grabbed a bottle of Port Charlotte Scottish Barley, which was great.

Lagavulin is what started it all for me in the world of Scotch and I love it. I have a bottle of the Port Charlotte, but have yet to try it. I'll let you know what i think....

Mmm, all great choices!

I really am liking the PC offering for the price, but I hate getting into the 'Laddie stuff because no sooner do you introduce it to your rotation, the buggers go and quit making it, and you have to get used to another.

Have you tried the Bowmore 12yr? Very balanced, but with great Islay peat smoke. It's been my favorite go-to for decades, and it's always been consistent and fair priced.

I'm going to start trying the Kilchoman offerings soon, as I've heard great things from friends

Mmm, all great choices!

I really am liking the PC offering for the price, but I hate getting into the 'Laddie stuff because no sooner do you introduce it to your rotation, the buggers go and quit making it, and you have to get used to another.

Have you tried the Bowmore 12yr? Very balanced, but with great Islay peat smoke. It's been my favorite go-to for decades, and it's always been consistent and fair priced.

I'm going to start trying the Kilchoman offerings soon, as I've heard great things from friends

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte is part of their standard line now ( no more numbers, says "Scottish Barley" on it)

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte is part of their standard line now ( no more numbers, says "Scottish Barley" on it)

I've gone through a couple bottles already since release here, and quite like it, but that distillery tends to change releases like crazy. Nothing is ever guaranteed to stick around it seems

I've gone through a couple bottles already since release here, and quite like it, but that distillery tends to change releases like crazy. Nothing is ever guaranteed to stick around it seems

Now that someone big bought them, I don't think you'll see a lot of changes. They have run out of their old stock, so they're selling what is sustainable and replaceable. PC, some variety of barley and Laddie 10 are about it, as well as the annual Octomore.