2015 FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1

El Presidente

Welcome to Cigar Number One of the 2015 International Blind tasting Competition party.gif

1. All Blind tasting cigars should have arrived by now or are in the process of being delivered.
  2. You have until April the 6th to submit your guess for Cigar Number 1. The date was chosen in order for you to have the ability to rest the cigars for 30 days in your humidor. This is not a requirement of course.
  3. When you have your answer, please e-mail it to Lisa ([email protected]). This must be done by April the 6th. You can e-mail Lisa your nominations for cigars 1-5 at any time. However once nominated, your answers cannot be changed. Take your time lol3.gif
  4. I will have a spreadsheet of the answers up the following week.
  5. I encourage you to post a review here of Cigar Number One...but do not disclose your answer. It is always great to read the reviews after the cigar has been disclosed.

Good Luck everyone! spotlight.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys a big hello from me to all of you,I m doing well so far and 8 m glad that I can use this way to be in touch with all of you

No offense to the ones remaining, for I know not of their circumstance, but we have already a late start and longer smoking window for this week, and a month + is plenty! Hurry it up gents! If I was

Just have to pop out but will post the results in a half hour

I just got them yesterday, and am very excited to test my skills luck at blind tasting cigars!

Luck is a good choice of words. I feel that I probably have better chance just guessing the cigars without even having to smoke them.

• Like 1

I cannot wait to try my hand at this. After fondling my anonymous package I believe I already know what one of them is. Unfortunately #1 is going to be tough based on size, smell, and appearance.

how about the mass quantity to choose from, I think I counted 17 choices?!

• Like 1

secret proprietary contest-winning criteria

Nice...maybe some of us on here need to get a side bet going???

I have smoked them all and guessed correctly but I intentionally sent in one wrong guess to give everyone else a chance...

liar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gifliar.gif

Right, seeing as I popped my blind tasting cherry on Thursday, I'll open the bidding.

Appearance: Nice colorado/colorado-maduro wrapper, very slight sheen, not oily per se.

Construction: Good, firm but spongy, slight soft spot near the head but nothing alarming.

Pre-light: Nose is faint barnyard, but reticent. Not giving much away at all. The cut is good, comes off in one piece, pre-light draw is open and easy. Taste is again reticent, a bit shy, maybe some sweet barnyard.

First Puffs: OMG I'm 100% certain I know this cigar. Powerful spice punches my palate, it's round, full and the smoke is voluminous.

First 3rd: OMG I'm now 100% uncertain. I do not know this cigar at all. The spice has gone. Not a single flavour I was expecting has emerged. Just toasted tobacco, bland and uninspiring. I get a bit of hay and a fleeting sweetness (1 or 2 puffs) that disappears quickly. It's windy, I might be overheating it - conscious effort to slow down.

Second 3rd: Becomes very woody; sappy cedar. The tang and astringency of youth emerges, hints of ammonia. It goes out. I'm 90% certain that my first impression was wrong. The relight presents more tobacco, grassiness and dried hay. If this were a wine, I'd say it was 'Green' and unripe.

Final 3rd: I'm surprised at the linearity. No real evolution of flavour at all. The power builds but the tarry, astringent build-up needs to be purged several times. I burn off the harshness in a vivid blue/orange flame which then brings a more subtle woodiness, a strong nutty/woody aftertaste develops but the harshness returns all too quickly. In the last inch some coffee roast, hints of leather and spice emerge but sadly it's too late and time to put it to rest.

This is too bloody hard. Do I go with my first impression and assume I had a bad example? Do I rule out my first impression as this is certainly an atypical example, if it is one at all? I need to think before firing an email to Lisa!

Thoroughly enjoying the agony of decision over this. Didn't quite enjoy the cigar as much. 85/100.

• Like 4

Right, seeing as I popped my blind tasting cherry on Thursday, I'll open the bidding.

First Puffs: OMG I'm 100% certain I know this cigar. Powerful spice punches my palate, it's round, full and the smoke is voluminous.

First 3rd: OMG I'm now 100% uncertain. I do not know this cigar at all.

nice review, better go with your gut in that first puff or two smile.png

Bummed I missed out this year. Always enjoy these no matter how bad I fail shead.gif

Bummed I missed out this year. Always enjoy these no matter how bad I fail shead.gif

I actually signed up for it this year and plan on getting 5 of 5 wrong. :)

• Like 1

• MoeFOH unpinned this topic