england and the world cup

now, before we get too much into gloating, every chance the same will happen to us at the rugby world cup, deservedly so, but enjoy this while we can.

bangladesh. seriously?

i saw this twit from the japanese cricket association (apparently genuine - who even knew japan had a cricket association?).

— Japan Cricket Assoc. (@CricketJapan)March 9, 2015

Dear @ECB_cricket, this might not be a great time, but as there's room in your schedule, fancy a game in Japan on the way home? #challenge

• Like 1

The Kingdom is no more. Sun has set. ;-)

Regards. A Pakistani.

PS. We better beat Ireland to qualify!

Are they going to burn bails again Ken and call it the "Ashes of English cricket"? Or, is this performance expected now?

well, it was always on the cards. when the poms crash and burn, they do it in style! but you have to love seeing the poms going down the gurgler.

i'm still wary of them for the ashes but it would be very disappointing to lose now.

those who drove KP away, great effort. not like you could have done with him. and stu broad is now such a fizzle, i'll have to call my scorpion something else.

I remember Ken was commenting in the main World Cup thread early on about Eion Morgan's form. How prudent and wise! When your captain's form is no where to be seen, when the other players don't want him there and then we get articles about him not singing the national anthem....honestly, you can't expect miracles. But at least they should have made the final stages of the tournament.

well, it was always on the cards. when the poms crash and burn, they do it in style! but you have to love seeing the poms going down the gurgler.

i'm still wary of them for the ashes but it would be very disappointing to lose now.

those who drove KP away, great effort. not like you could have done with him. and stu broad is now such a fizzle, i'll have to call my scorpion something else.

Careful now, you'll start to sound like that insufferable Piers Morgan, although apparently he's right about KP. Amusing that petty personal problems have conspired to sink yet another English foray into an international sporting tournament. The disappointment does tend to suit them, though.

Careful now, you'll start to sound like that insufferable Piers Morgan, although apparently he's right about KP. Amusing that petty personal problems have conspired to sink yet another English foray into an international sporting tournament. The disappointment does tend to suit them, though.

i just feel that, as an australian, it is my duty (and my inalienable right) to twist any knife in the collective poms' back.

plus it really is fun.

at least piers morgan is a gunners fan so has something to be happy about today.

i just feel that, as an australian, it is my duty (and my inalienable right) to twist any knife in the collective poms' back.

plus it really is fun.

at least piers morgan is a gunners fan so has something to be happy about today.

He's only happy when he's miserable and has something to whinge about. It was as gratifying a win as Arsenal have produced in quite some time, but it doesn't help his crusade against Wenger and the board when we win. He's a fickle blowhard. England's world cup suited him just fine I'm sure. Plus he hasn't been completely ostracized by cricket fans the way he has by Arsenal supporters.

Great to see the Bangladeshi's dancing in the streets. Good on them!

.....It gives us rugby wallaby fans hope :lol3:

Oh Rob, as a fellow lover of Rugby, I share your pain at the thought of following the Wallabies. One day we will win the Bledisoe Cup!

Honestly,Ken,I'm beyond most rational and coherent responses to our displays here.I just don't understand how we can go from beating Australia and India in their own back yards and attaining the #1 in world spot to this in such a short time.I know that we're talking there about test cricket which is a different animal altogether but even so...

It's almost as if someone,somewhere (probably in a stripy suit at Lord's) said,"Hang on a minute,we're supposed to be the laughing stock of world cricket,we can't have this" and subsequently set about getting us back there bloody quickly!! Now I know that's ridiculous but there really is a part of me that struggles to believe that this spectacular fall hasn't in some way been contrived,it's been that heavy! And I don't know how else to explain the massive backward step of Peter Moores!!

That being said,I was so pleased for for Bangladesh yesterday.They played a great brand of entertaining and gutsy cricket and their fans were incredible.Good luck to them,they deserve all the plaudits they get! But as far as England are concerned,well I fear for what Australia are going to do us this summer......and I don't look forward much to the hors d'oeuvres of NZ either!!

hey, it could be worse for england fans. they might also be manspew supporters.

But on a much happier note,as a fellow Gooner,yeah how about that last night?! I must be honest,I was very nervous about the prospect of an Arsenal capitulation but I was very pleased by their approach.And I've never seen such a gutsy referee in the face of Old Trafford intimidation!

Is this where the ashes came from? Huge amount of cricket ignorance on my part here.

Yes. England lost a game to Australia in 1882 and someone took the game bails, burnt them and held a funeral for English Cricket.

But on a much happier note,as a fellow Gooner,yeah how about that last night?! I must be honest,I was very nervous about the prospect of an Arsenal capitulation but I was very pleased by their approach.And I've never seen such a gutsy referee in the face of Old Trafford intimidation!

Could you imagine if it'd been Howard Webb? Ramsey would've been off, with a penalty to United. Nice to finally catch a break up at Old Trafford for once. Last two trips up to Manchester (last night and City in the league) Arsene's added just that missing touch of pragmatism to his tactics, and they've come away with two well deserved results. Every time it seems as if we've turned a corner... yet here we are again. Favorable draw should see us into the final, and recent form would suggest a 2nd place finish in the league is very much attainable.

• Like 1

Yes. England lost a game to Australia in 1882 and someone took the game bails, burnt them and held a funeral for English Cricket.

there was a notice published in the times, i think, in the obituary column as well.

i remember visiting lords decades ago with the family (the old man had some connections). the old bloke there told us a story (which i've never heard anywhere else but he swore blind it was true). during the war, the ashes were moved from lords in case of bombing (they are only tiny) and stored out in the country and a dozen or so replicas made. never quite sure why. anyway, there was bombing and some sort of accident and this old lords official swears blind that they have absolutely no idea if they still have the original.