Montecristo Churchills Añejados Review

LOL. Pictures? Crap happens.

Nice review, Tom. My samples I tried were similar with the woodsy, oaky tones, and I also got faint vanilla and sweet spice hints (your call on nutmeg sounds like it fits well). But mostly, mine were woody with a bit of a hay and fresh leather tone. I personally got NO hints of Montecristo-esque coffee and cocoa aspects. To me, this was an okay smoke, but with no marque flavours.

I only smoked two down on the island, so maybe I'll have to give another stick or two a try, with a different box code perhaps.

• Like 1

Nice review, Tom. My samples I tried were similar with the woodsy, oaky tones, and I also got faint vanilla and sweet spice hints (your call on nutmeg sounds like it fits well). But mostly, mine were woody with a bit of a hay and fresh leather tone. I personally got NO hints of Montecristo-esque coffee and cocoa aspects. To me, this was an okay smoke, but with no marque flavours.

I only smoked two down on the island, so maybe I'll have to give another stick or two a try, with a different box code perhaps.

Very interesting that yours were so very different from mine. From reading various reviews of the RyJ from this release, it does not surprise me. It also somewhat validates my suspicion that consistency of quality in both of these releases is all over the map.

• Like 1

Very interesting that yours were so very different from mine. From reading various reviews of the RyJ from this release, it does not surprise me. It also somewhat validates my suspicion that consistency of quality in both of these releases is all over the map.

Well said. We had a VERY interesting series of discussions about these down in Cuba - perhaps Gino or Nino will elaborate more, but I'll leave it to them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

how many companys have an ANEJADOS line

I think just two, Montecristo Churchills and Romeo y Julieta Piramides.

Thanks for the review, Tom. I concur in regards to reviews I've read that the Monte Churchills are more favoured than the RyJ Piramides. I guess I've got to smoke them for myself at some stage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom, I had this cigar tonight and I must add that in my humble opinion, you've summarised it in a such a way that a separate review from myself would simply repeat what you've said here so succinctly. I've added some images and points below:

• I smoked the cigar after Sydney received a once-in-a-decade deluge of storms and rain, so the humidity outside was very high (over 80%), although it was a nice 19°C (66°F).
  • This is one of the smoothest and most subtle-flavoured cigar I have ever sampled in my short journey of enjoying Cuban cigars.
  • I re-lit once and had minimal smoke volume in the first third. As a result, I had burn issues and coning to begin with. Still, the Montecristo cocoa and nuttiness was evident.
  • The second third picked up on the Montecristo Cuban twang you described (perhaps the hay and fresh leather tone Keith described).
  • The final third had no harshness whatsoever. It smoked really well, with a good volume of smoke, and the smooth, slight twang there until the end. I smoked it to the nub.
  • My total smoking time was 130 minutes.
  • I would definitely recommend our members to sample this cigar.
post-23478-0-91360700-1429795374_thumb.jpost-23478-0-43048400-1429795376_thumb.jpost-23478-0-86418500-1429795377_thumb.jpost-23478-0-29508700-1429795381_thumb.jpost-23478-0-04615300-1429795383_thumb.jpost-23478-0-95249800-1429795384_thumb.jpost-23478-0-87882000-1429795386_thumb.jpost-23478-0-65427800-1429795388_thumb.j
  • Like 3

Montecristo Churchills Añejados

Brand: Montecristo

Commercial name: Churchills

Factory name: Julieta Nº2

Dimensions: 47 ring gauge (18.65 mm) x 178 mm long

Paired with a nice Cafe Latte con Legendario Anjeo

Punch Cut

Aroma at Cold

faint woodsy barnyard aroma

Cold draw:

Smooth draw light woody cacoa.

First light:

Even light a mild hint of cacoa and coffee, nutmeg and light oak wood. Reminiscent of an aged Monte especial.

First third:

Getting that delicate sweet twang that we search for in a good montecristo. Nutmeg/cacao/coffee and a slight vanilla bean flavour. This cigar is starting out brilliantly and seems to me to be aged longer than advertised. A bit south of medium strength and very smooth. Nice even burn and a good amount of smoke.

2nd third:

Picks up to medium in strength but still very smooth delicate well balanced flavours of cacao/coffee. The nutmeg faded a bit but still there. The vanilla bean flavour now a little more prevalent than in the first third. Also a nice light woodsy flavour in the background akin to the sweet oaken flavours in a chardonnay. Both the draw and burn are still perfect. Nice white ash typical of an aged cigar that is holding on surprisingly well.

Final third:

Monte twang in full effect! Cacao/coffee and caramelized vanilla bean flavours abound all delicately balanced as one. A shade north of medium in strength but still as smooth as can be and nice and light on the tongue. Lovely bittersweet chocolate and cinnamon on the retrohale. Through to the finish of the final third this cigar has remained extremely well balanced with typical montecristo flavours and no harshness at the end. Exactly what you would expect with an aged cigar. The burn remained sharp to the end and a nice volume of smoke throughout.

Conclusion:

I was hoping for but not expecting too much from this cigar as I was sorely disappointed with it's stablemate the RyJ Pyramide Añejados. Well was I in for a treat. This cigar has developed extremely well with aging and seems to be hitting its prime upon release. I would put it up there with some of the best that Montecristo has to offer. I feel confident that all will enjoy this cigar both now and a few years down the road as it has that great balance of complex flavours and strength.

Final Score: 94

Just realized that I forgot to take pictures before smoking this. Oh well.

It's there a possibility that these were rolled at two different factories?

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

The first lot of Montecristo Churchills shipped this week I think had a LSM 08 code. I didn't note the recent 24:24 listing of this cigar but if I recall correctly, I think they had a EMF code from 08. Maybe someone else can clarify and affirm this.

I only wish there was a regular montecristo Churchill.

Yes - and please make it one that actually tastes like a Montecristo (which the Anejo does not)!

• Like 1

Yes - and please make it one that actually tastes like a Montecristo (which the Anejo does not)!

These cigars seem to be all over the map. The ones that I have had, as well as some other BOTL's that have tried them, typify the montecristo flavour profile while others do not get it at all. It is cuba after all and as a result you dont always know if you are getting a star or a dud.

• Like 1

These cigars seem to be all over the map. The ones that I have had, as well as some other BOTL's that have tried them, typify the montecristo flavour profile while others do not get it at all. It is cuba after all and as a result you dont always know if you are getting a star or a dud.

Exactly, does every montecristo that everyone smokes taste like a Montecristo?

-Stogie Boy

Exactly, does every montecristo that everyone smokes taste like a Montecristo?

-Stogie Boy

No but one at this price better well damn should ;)

• Like 1