surprises in the postbox - a hunstman

in another thread, we have been talking about huntsman spiders.

thought i'd show some pics of the one that lives in my post box.

they are very common in queensland. many years ago, i had a huge one in a bathroom with which i had a running battle for about two years. it would leap on me when least expected. i knew it was the same spider as i had managed to take off a leg or two. never stopped him.

anyway, most of the time i have been at this place - several years now - i have had a huntsman in the letterbox. i think they just get replaced by a bigger huntsman. you can often see the remains of the previous occupant. for whatever reason, they love this spot. i just have to remember to check when i get the mail (postie normally knocks on the door so no problem but if i am out or he is busy...).

these photos are of the same spider. it is a cracker.

mind you, far less scary than the large brown snake rob and i watched in the creek yesterday. just hovering and hunting. now that does scare the crap out of me.

as rob said, it was a richard attenborough moment (yes, i know but don't spoil it for him).

post-9-0-35296000-1426051495_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-50991000-1426051544_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-49202300-1426051606_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-69845000-1426051762_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-17731200-1426051924_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, I hate the mothers. I've got a bottle brush tree on the side of my place that has been running an advanced breeding program for the last 15 years. They love the two black cars I have and don't mind a game of hide and seek after a front windscreen performance. I can send one up Kenny just to mix up the gene pool and have a state of origin of sorts in your letter box.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I hate the mothers. I've got a bottle brush tree on the side of my place that has been running an advanced breeding program for the last 15 years. They love the two black cars I have and don't mind a game of hide and seek after a front windscreen performance. I can send one up Kenny just to mix up the gene pool and have a state of origin of sorts in your letter box.

there are enough scraps of former huntsman spiders littering the base of the postbox to suggest the smart money would go on the home arachnid.

Hey Ken was that the Electric bill it was protecting,if its as big as mine I'd let the spider keep it or swat it with it. It want recover from that blow.

Not really. It will give you a nasty bite, but nothing deadly. The fangs give you more trouble than the venom. Huntsman are fairly timid, despite the number of times they jump on you, and rarely bite. Unless it's a female protecting her eggs.

My mother in law has the same issue with her mailbox.

Ken, do you have a paper bark tree nearby by chance as this is the source for my mother in laws mailbox visitors. No sooner I kill them for her, another moves in. I tore off some of the paper bark a few weeks back and these buggers were everywhere.

My mother in law has the same issue with her mailbox.

Ken, do you have a paper bark tree nearby by chance as this is the source for my mother in laws mailbox visitors. No sooner I kill them for her, another moves in. I tore off some of the paper bark a few weeks back and these buggers were everywhere.

no but i am surrounded by bush.