surprises in the postbox - a hunstman

My mother in law has the same issue with her mailbox.

Ken, do you have a paper bark tree nearby by chance as this is the source for my mother in laws mailbox visitors. No sooner I kill them for her, another moves in. I tore off some of the paper bark a few weeks back and these buggers were everywhere.

Shame about the ring barked paper bark trees though?

You just gotta live with it. Spent several years in North Queensland with bush rats, a scrub turkey that walked through the house when he felt like it, snakes (in the house, in the pool), huntsmen, all sorts of lizards and a million bloody geckos leaving their white tipped, cigar shaped **** everywhere.

• 7 months later...

rarely open the mailbox as my postie always hand delivers and we have a yack but checked it this morning.

hundreds and hundreds of baby huntsman spiders. the big mother had gone but the babies had finally hatched. amazed it took so long. at the moment they are not much bigger than a pinhead.

in time...

It's not the whole country that suffers the scourge of the huntsman. I was blissfully unaware of these creatures before moving to Brisbane from the outer suberbs of Melbourne. We were introduced to our first huntsman when we moved a large wardrobe that was left on the verandah of our new home. The beasty was so big he got stuck in the vacuum cleaner hose after being bravely sucked up from a safe distance. Needless to say the vacuum cleaner got thrown out and we all learned very quickly to sleep with one eye open!

It's not the whole country that suffers the scourge of the huntsman. I was blissfully unaware of these creatures before moving to Brisbane from the outer suberbs of Melbourne. We were introduced to our first huntsman when we moved a large wardrobe that was left on the verandah of our new home. The beasty was so big he got stuck in the vacuum cleaner hose after being bravely sucked up from a safe distance. Needless to say the vacuum cleaner got thrown out and we all learned very quickly to sleep with one eye open!

i do prefer them outside but worth remembering that they will kill lots of other spiders and bugs, including poisonous spiders. they usually get a pass from me for that.

Camping on the Murray in North East Victoria one night when I was a kid. Mucking around in the arvo, we pulled some bark off a gumtree, and there must have been 10's of huntsmen spiders scurry away. Thought nothing more of it till that night lying in the tent with the light on reading, only to have more than one of these now homeless spiders run over me while in my sleeping bag. The final straw was when one ran over my face. After that I was in mum and dads tent. I probably ruined their plans for the evening!