NC Review: Davidoff Geneva 100th Toro

A good friend of mine brought me one of these from his trip to London England back in 2011. Recently we met at his place to finally smoke them and to welcome the beginning of the Winter thaw. The sun was shining, the temperature outside was a balmy 7C and the patio door was slightly open so that the smoke could get drawn out.

So. First off. This is my first NC cigar of the year and in quite a long time. The last NC I smoked was probably a small Viaje from last summer.

I took a few notes and few pictures. (Potato cam)

post-6763-0-56436000-1426528007_thumb.jp

So, let me commence with this "mini-review"

• Cigar: Davidoff 100th Geneva Toro
  • Vitals: 6 * 54 (just slightly longer than a BHK54 (5.7)) with a pigtail cap
  • Released in 2011 to honour Zino's parents' arrival in Switzerland 1911
  • Leaves aged 5-9 years prior to rolling.
  • Hybrid Ecuadorean and DR seed
  • Five different tobaccos used in the blend.
  • Price: 45GBP (!)

Pre-Light Observations.

Lovely, smooth wrapper. Milk chocolate in shade. Sweet, bready aromas off the foot and wrapper. Hints of cocoa.

Nice, firm roll. I punch the head to reveal a perfect draw. No construction issues to speak of.

1st Third.

Cocoa, semi sweet and lots of it. A very pleasant start. The flavours then bounce around from cocoa, to bitter chocolate to toasty tobacco. A very good start. Great draw and burn.

No picture here. I think I was enjoying it more than I thought I would. smile.png

2nd Third.

Lots of bitter chocolate, more cocoa, toasty tobacco. Some very tasty cookie dough like flavours now and then as well. Draw is excellent burn went a bit askew, easy to correct. Stayed sharp for the remainder of this third. Cedar notes now and then.

post-6763-0-84223200-1426528012_thumb.jp

3rd Third

The cigar has picked up in strength both in body and in flavour. Getting a bit of the "buzz". Very strong tobacco flavours, toast and at several points, a very distinct cinnamon note. Now and then I'd sense a bit of anise on the finish. Sharp, pepper notes keep things interesting as well.

post-6763-0-67699200-1426528017_thumb.jp

Total Smoking Time: 2 hours

Conclusion

Excellent cigar! Probably the most "Cubanesque" NC I've ever smoked. It had what I look for when I pick up a CC. Complexity, depth of flavour and smoothness. My friend was getting pretty much the same flavours I was during each third. So add another point for consistency. I also noticed at the halfway point that the tobacco's strength snuck up on me. Not so much in the taste but in the "feels". My brain was starting to swim a few laps. Very reminiscient of what of what Cuba's La Escepcion Selectos Finos does to me. I wouldn't rate this cigar as highly as that one but it impressed me.

Box worthy? Perhaps. It's an elegant smoke, not one you'd want to fire up too often. Savour these over time I'd say. Their relative scarcity and price point might be the limiting factor. I'd smoke a few more if the price was right. Released in 2011 with aged leaf and having another 4 years of age in its' rolled state made for an interesting smoke.

If Davidoff has been chasing the Cuban profile they abandoned back in the early 90's I'd say this stick hits the mark. I've smoked other NC Davidoff's in the past and by far this was the most impressive. I've also smoked my share of Cuban Davidoff's, not fresh mind you, but I'd like to think this is probably what they tasted like back in the day. Any of you long time smokers care to chime in? An excellent cigar, well blended and crafted but perhaps too HTF and limited in production to really make an impression on the market.

Score: 93

Interesting, thanks for the review, Frank! I've tried a few NC Davidoffs but they've always tasted so light that they were on the cusp of blandness for me. Pleasant, but nothing interesting about the profile. I might have to search one of these out to give 'em a try - they might still be around over here!

Hi all,

To start things off, I have to say that I wasn't a fan of the Cuban Davidoff already, so the N.C. version Is not my

cup of tea especially at that price for an N.C. Too light and too rich for me. This Is just my opinion.

Guy

Nice review and interesting to hear how you compare them to the Old blend.

I'm not really comparing the two. Only "imaging" what the old ones may have been like. I've had aged CC Davidoff's, never a fresh one.

• Like 1