RASS Vertical Tasting 1994, 2006, 2013, 2014

fabes

Ramon Allones Vertical #1

RASS

ULA MAY 2014 (0.88 yrs at time of review)

1:30 total time

Quite still outside - 65ºF - 67% humidity

paired with water

nice earthy barnyard fragrance

wrapper a little rough and medium brown

constructed well

draw is slightly tight for my tastes

1st third

Smooth. Medium-full body. starting off nutty & earthy. Very pleasing aroma coming off the foot. Creamy nutty and earthy sums up this third.

2nd third

More emphasis on the nutty aspect. Dry smoke. There is a subtle sweet aroma like honey. Now some spices coming through. Touches of saltiness appear briefly.

final third

Mostly spices and occasional fragrant aromas. Final inch goes a bit cedar-y. It was clear that the final third was more muddled in flavor than the previous two thirds.

conclusion

This was a very well constructed cigar. Pleasant and enjoyable all the way through, but never quite reaching excellent. Would go great with a cappuccino or drip coffee, but stuck to water for reviewing purposes.

Looking forward to seeing what happens on the next one!

• Like 1

Ramon Allones Vertical #2
RASS
MUR JUL 2013 (1.71 yrs at time of review)
1:32 total time
Slight breeze outside - 65ºF - 70% humidity
paired with water
nice earthy barnyard fragrance slightly confectionary
wrapper smooth and light brown
constructed well
draw is nearly identical to the previous 2014 RASS
1st third
Toasty nutty creamy tobacco flavors coming strong. Floral aroma off the foot. Now big floral blasts and hints of spice like cinnamon or clove. Started out med-full, but has now tapered back to medium as I enter the next third
2nd third
Cedar poking through now, but still creamy mouthfeel. Love the aroma off the foot just fantastic. Mostly creamy cedar and earthy in this middle third.
final third
Coming round full circle to floral nutty creamy smoke. Slightest bit of fruit discovered in the final inch reminiscent of black currants. Last third is like a almond butter currant jam sandwich on toasted multigrain. Heavy on the nuts and toast, light on the currant.
conclusion
Flavors seemed to be more intense with this example. Creamy mouthfeel was present throughout with an accompaniment of complementary flavors that wove in and out. Solid smoke that had some interesting moments.
Edited by fabes
  • Like 3

Ramon Allones Vertical #3

RASS

POS MAY 2006 (8.88 yrs at time of review)

1:25 total time

Slight breeze outside - 58ºF - 70% humidity and dropping

paired with water

nice earthy fragrance slightly cocoa

wrapper a little rough and lovely brown

draw is nearly identical to the previous two RASS

something always a bit exciting when punching the cap and it reveals a dimple

1st third

Sweet buttery cream to start things off. Now the floral aspect is kicking in with gusto. Loads of smoke coming off the foot. Medium bodied. Retrohale is smooth as silk. Aroma off the foot is like berries and cream (just like the starburst commercial).

2nd third

Coming into the middle nutty flavors are appearing. Not as earthy as the younger RASS, but more creamy nutty like cashew or pine nuts. Noticing that the wrapper is a bit fire-resistant. Getting some tunneling starting that I have to correct about every inch or so. I’m smoking at my normal pace and this cigar has had a year to acclimate to my humidor. When the burn is back on I’m getting blasts of cream, nuts and viscous smoke.

final third

Getting a little of the cedar-y, woody, spicy mixed with some coffee. Wrapper still putting up a fight and it’s getting a little short to bother touching up.

conclusion

Very enjoyable. Just a subtle amount of sweetness that I’m fond of. Think milk sugar like latte or cappuccino rather than refined sugar crystal. The wrapper drama was lame, but didn’t ruin the experience. Flavor-wise I’d be happy if I had a box of these!

Edited by fabes

Ramon Allones Vertical #4

RASS

Unknown Box Code 1994 (20.81 yrs at time of review)

1:25 total time

Slight breeze outside - 58ºF - 67% humidity

paired with water

earthy spicy fragrance slightly cocoa

wrapper a little rough, veiny and dark brown

draw is nearly identical to the previous three RASS

once again the dimple shows its face

1st third

Very subtle in all aspects. Nutty and spicy, but merely hints to what the flavors are. Very hard to distinguish for me. Creamy nutty and cedar, but all blended together. Maybe nougat, but it’s difficult to discern.

2nd third

Buttery in the middle. Nutty toast with fig spread. a dark earthy fruity aroma. this was the most interesting third.

final third

Now we have nutella making an appearance. Basically chocolate and hazelnut in spades. Nutella spread on toast.

conclusion

I got the feeling this cigar could have had many years left before it would start to fade. It smoked like it was glad it finally got its time to shine. I really don't have much experience with cigars with >10 years. Only a handful here and there. It was definitely a good smoke and can imagine it would have been a mongrel in its younger days.

Edited by fabes
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but I'm a sucker for the old-school bands on RA (and SLR, among others). I just like the character of the rounded-off lettering, from ageless stamps worn smooth from use in making the bands.

This, just a good look, I miss that

Just put up the last review. Thanks for checking in on this. It was a fun experience to see the differences in the cigars and also the similarities. Thanks to the fine gentlemen who provided the two older RASS (and the 2014 as well), they were very much appreciated!