10 Underrated Whiskies from Around the World

sengjc

Do yourself a favor and skip the Amrut Fusion. I have rarely had such swill in a glass. Disgusting. I literally poured it down the drain.

Do yourself a favor and skip the Amrut Fusion. I have rarely had such swill in a glass. Disgusting. I literally poured it down the drain.

I disagree, I rather enjoyed it in my regular lineup for quite a while

Caol Ila 12-Year-Old Single Malt is another one of those whiskies that is either loved or loathed, with no in-between. Thanks for sharing this article, sengjc!

Well met! I'm the in between guy nyah.gif . In all seriousness I neither loved nor hated it. Thought it was very average. Not peaty enough IMO to be a classic Islay but not muted or balanced enough to really be memorable for those who don't favor peat. The meaty/porky notes are what really make this a standout on certain occasions. Enjoyed my bottle but likely won't buy again. Or maybe I will. Lol.

• Like 1

Thanks for the post. Really getting into whiskey/bourbon as a change up from beer and it's nice to see a list like this versus everyone telling you must buy this or that for a $100+ a bottle.

Well met! I'm the in between guy nyah.gif . In all seriousness I neither loved nor hated it. Thought it was very average. Not peaty enough IMO to be a classic Islay but not muted or balanced enough to really be memorable for those who don't favor peat. The meaty/porky notes are what really make this a standout on certain occasions. Enjoyed my bottle but likely won't buy again. Or maybe I will. Lol.

I understand, from the article below, that 95% of what Caol Ila produces is used in Johnnie Walkers blends, most notably for Johnnie Walker Black and Johnnie Walker Double Black. It was also used in Johnnie Walker Green. I didn't mind it any of those blends, but I've not tasted it on its own.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-whisky/behind-the-scenes-caol-ila-islay-whisky/

I understand, from the article below, that 95% of what Caol Ila produces is used in Johnnie Walkers blends, most notably for Johnnie Walker Black and Johnnie Walker Double Black. It was also used in Johnnie Walker Green. I didn't mind it any of those blends, but I've not tasted it on its own.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-whisky/behind-the-scenes-caol-ila-islay-whisky/

That's true- most of the production of Caol Ila goes into JW. They have 8 stills running nearly round the clock.

I don't find it to be that polarizing. Usually it's Ardbeg and Laphroaig that elicit very strong reactions.

I find Caol Ila to be very floral, which makes it interesting.

My experience with the Fusion is perhaps not as drastic, but in the same vein.

I didn't like the Fusion. Intermediate Sherry and Portonova on the other hand is like the distillery's mythological namesake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...