Newbie first wineador project

cris77

Hi,
I thought I would give the wienador a crack. Live in Sydney Australia and unfortunately in my house my desk humidor could not keep the temp at a suitable level. I'm sure I have a fair bit to go but so far I've built the drawers and shelves and I will keep tinkering to see how to improve it.
Still waiting for the heartfelt beads but unfortunately Australia post decided to misplace my package...so they are missing.

post-24468-0-43300200-1427636126_thumb.j

post-24468-0-07848400-1427636172_thumb.j

post-24468-0-65528600-1427636192_thumb.j

Hi Cris, welcome to our forum mate. As I live in Sydney also, I sympathise with your battle to keep your cigars drier, Sydney is usually humid isn't it? I can also relate to your Australia Post issues. Hang in there, once the heartfelt beads arrive, you'll be on your way!

Looking good, nice setup. Did you make the drawers?

yes I made them out of Spanish cedar

Looks great!,

what cooler is this?

it's a Dome branded cooler.

Hi Cris, welcome to our forum mate. As I live in Sydney also, I sympathise with your battle to keep your cigars drier, Sydney is usually humid isn't it? I can also relate to your Australia Post issues. Hang in there, once the heartfelt beads arrive, you'll be on your way!

humidity wasn't as bad as the temperature..the box was hitting 25+deg.

Are they some CAO cherry bomb cigars !?!?! shead.gif Ahah all good mate, enjoy whatever you enjoy :)ok.gif

Not sure if you usually store your cigars there, or just did for the picture, but I would recommend you put the cellophane one inside a box or inside the shelf. Just to give it some protection against the fluctuation in the air space of the fridge.

Good shelf making :)

Are they some CAO cherry bomb cigars !?!?! shead.gif Ahah all good mate, enjoy whatever you enjoy smile.pngok.gif

the cherry bombs are for the mrs..happy wife happy life buddy!

Not sure if you usually store your cigars there, or just did for the picture, but I would recommend you put the cellophane one inside a box or inside the shelf. Just to give it some protection against the fluctuation in the air space of the fridge.

Good shelf making smile.png

they usually inside the shelf, making a third draw this weekend to tidy it up. lLoking as to how better distribute air as i have seen the computer fan set ups but i want to get a circuit to manage the fans on a timer and maybe according to temperature as well.

I always salute a man (or woman) whom takes on a wine cooler storage project. May the humidor Gods smile upon you!

Cheers! -Piggy

Thanks piggy... Been reading some of your post and I always appreciate the science behind this.. Just ordered a data logger to see what is actually going on in the wineador...

Mate, I am going to give you a little advanced warning. Making a controlled, cooled humidor is not the easiest thing to do. If you drink, get yourself well into a bottle before reading your first data log... It might help! Me, I used Xanax in the beginning... Now I rely on experience! -LOL

If you find yourself wanting to end the life of your humidor, or yourself, reach out before doing so...! I am happy to help if I can.

-Piggy

• Like 2

3dcb7b98716f5ced66f164d2fd1644d6.jpg

Finished the last drawer added some needed handles and the hygrometers in each level.. Now waiting for a few more cigars and the data logger to get a better understanding.. And possibly a few headaches as per piggy's comment...

Im currently doing daily logs per section of the wineador to see what are the fluctuations.. Just going through the log for the bottom drawer..

Which data logger are you using?

i ordered one online, not a state of the art but it seems to be doing the job ok.

well here are the logs for the remainder of the drawers,

post-24468-0-41523500-1429865450_thumb.jpost-24468-0-72903700-1429865463_thumb.j

middle drawer measurements

post-24468-0-16668000-1429865473_thumb.jpost-24468-0-70937500-1429865480_thumb.j

top drawer measurements

i know its just one day measurements so my next step is do a full week and compare the data.

Looks like you are incredibly steady!

I am still getting the control of first wineador dialed in. I have 5 digital hygrometer on different levels that send the readings to a receiver outside of the box so I don't have to open it. The top is right where I want it (between 65 and 68 rh) while the rest of the humidor level vary from 70 to 73.

I started with moistened KL. Then swapped out half of it with dry KL. I have now moved on to 65% bovedas throughout but the rh has hardly budged. There is also a variation between the front and the back of the shelves.

What this all boils down to my hunch is that there is not enough air movement between levels. I was wondering what experience you guys have that could help including adding an additional fan if needed.

thanks in advance for your replies! Sorry if I am poaching this thread. If b I should start a new one please let me know.

I'm not even looking at fans until I get a full view of the changes in Rh and temp in my wineador.. No point doing it before having solid data.. I have been using 1lb of heartfelt beads 65% and at the bottom I have a cedar tray with some kitty litter.. As I said I think it's early days but I have already got all the parts for a fan set up so I'm waiting for more data...

Good job mate... Congrats!

Your data has some tells at different levels. If you don't feel that I am grading you and you want a little insight I will be happy to comment (given the time, not a promise!)

You should also be getting a baseline of what the ambient is. It is very important to know how your project reacts to the ambient to keep you out of trouble going forward. Systems sometime look very stable and then go haywire when certain conditions hit. In order for you to correct some of those problems (I am not prognosticating, just experienced) it would behove you get some readings of your ambient even if you don't data log the ambient. I always data log the ambient...

As you guys go into winter, there will be a very small delta between the ambient and the humidor. Don't let this give you a false sense of security and just give up on data logging...! When the ambient goes way up, if you allow it, or down too far from the set point, this is where the problems really "can" begin.

Please let me know if you want input. I see these a teachable moments to the whole community, where I am not just talking about my projects (as ususal). I am pretty candid however, and if it will bother you if I appear critical, and it does with some folks, I will consider silence as I should just stay out of the thread. I love to teach and help, if it is unwanted or will cause offense, I wish to avoid that.

Cheers! -Piggy