k3gtjOm.png

Cigar:

Montecristo No. 4

Box Code:

TUP ENE 14

Review Date:

4/4/2015 (Age: 1yr, 3mos)

Appearance:

This is a good looking Monte. The wrapper falls into the medium-dark end of the spectrum and has a slight sheen to it. I believe this box is graded HQ.

First third:

Lots of youth present here. The typical Monte profile of creamed coffee and hazelnut is present, but it is overshadowed by some “mongrel youth” (to use Rob’s words) that comes across as orange zest. The draw is just a bit too restrictive for my taste. It forces me to puff a few times before I get a good mouthful of smoke, which unfortunately makes the cigar burn a little hotter and does nothing to help the flavor.

Second third:

Not much change. The nostril-singeing youth still makes itself known. There’s a pleasant woody and savory quality coming through at times though, which is nice. The room note reveals some ammonia at times. The burn has gone a bit wonky and needed some correcting.

Third third:

Finally getting some of those classic Monte flavors, and boy is it delivering. The draw has even opened up a bit, too. The rich coffee flavor is shining through, and the flavor is now more of a citrus-flavored coffee. This is how I like my Monte 4’s to taste.

Smoking time:

About an hour

Conclusion:

I usually like my Monte 4’s with about 18-24 months on them. The competition called for 2014 stock and unfortunately I don’t have much 2014 that is ready to smoke. In fact, this box has only been sitting in my humidor for 26 days, and I don’t think it has had enough time to fully rest. However, this cigar showed promise, especially at the end. With another 6 months-1 year the rough edges will be rounded out and I can tell that rich Monte profile is just lurking under the surface, ready to be enjoyed.

Rating:

85. Though I’d expect this box to be in the 92-93 range once it matures a bit more.

• Like 2

good review, I like the format and other should take note.

saw some great monte 4's come up on the 24:24 and was out of cash frown.gif

Great review and mirror my thoughts from the couple I've had from a BEO MAR 14 HQ box. They definitely need more time!