River Monsters

Geo17pip

So this past Sunday started a new season of one of my favorite shows - River Monsters with Jeremey Wade.

If you guys missed this week’s episode it was one of the best i have seen in a while. Jeremey was in Canada trying to figure out what mysterious serpent like creature people have been seeing in the lakes up there. I don’t want to give too much a way in case some of you have been waiting to watch the episode, but he turns out extremely lucky considering the type of tackle he was using. Truly amazing fishing and skill that guy has. For those of you that have seen the show.. what do you think of it? I’ll tell you one thing, it has gotten me pumped for this fishing season. I will be headed out for pike in a local river by me.

you don't have your jurisdiction so not sure where you might fit in with the showing of the series. thoroughly enjoy them - though bit of a shock when he is filming almost at the back door - in the brizzy river - for bull sharks. some really interesting episodes.

if it is a series new to us, i'll definitely be keeping an eye out.

I dont understand this Ken.

what i meant was i did not know what country you are watching in. as far as i am aware, australia is up to date so if you are watching a new one, terrific news. but you may be in a country where they are catching up. i have seen him in canada before. does that make more sense?

what i meant was i did not know what country you are watching in. as far as i am aware, australia is up to date so if you are watching a new one, terrific news. but you may be in a country where they are catching up. i have seen him in canada before. does that make more sense?

Yep makes sense thanks. Im watching in the US so not sure if you have seen the latest episodes we are seeing here. In that episode he was trying to catch lake trout and muskie.

Yep makes sense thanks. Im watching in the US so not sure if you have seen the latest episodes we are seeing here. In that episode he was trying to catch lake trout and muskie.

thanks.

pretty sure that is a new one for us - so many fishing shows one loses track of which one catches what.

thanks for the warning - will be keeping an eye out.

• Like 1

I love Jeremy. I'd don't think there's a fish he couldn't catch. I must admit I get a little anxiety when he takes the poor locals as guides to catch a dangerous fish. You know damn well if that boat goes over they're saving the shoes star only. Lol.

I would love to do a trip to one of those locations in the future, somewhere like the Amazon to catch monster catfish. Yeah Im sure it gets sketchy with some of those locations and boats. Would love to meet him one day.

Great show thoroughly enjoy it.

Makes me want to go out to a pond for monster bluegills!

About as extreme as I'm getting.

Haha nice. Theres a river by me that has some monster carp, catfish and some pike so thats the best ill be doing by me about ten minutes form my house.

• Like 1

So this past Sunday started a new season of one of my favorite shows - River Monsters with Jeremey Wade.

If you guys missed this weeks episode it was one of the best i have seen in a while. Jeremey was in Canada trying to figure out what mysterious serpent like creature people have been seeing in the lakes up there. I dont want to give too much a way in case some of you have been waiting to watch the episode, but he turns out extremely lucky considering the type of tackle he was using. Truly amazing fishing and skill that guy has. For those of you that have seen the show.. what do you think of it? Ill tell you one thing, it has gotten me pumped for this fishing season. I will be headed out for pike in a local river by me.

Was this the episode where he was getting Muskie?

Made me want to go out for some, but man the cost of tackle for Muskie is pricy!

I also loved an early on episode where he was top fishing for peacock bass. They would just explode out of the water!

When they do those playbacks of incidents of maiming's and then go to North America, I find myself thinking of a few incidents. We used to fish a lot as kids and there is a lake in South Dakota called Lake Andes that has decent Large Mouth Bass, Big Perch and nice Walleye pike. These guys from Arkansas were fishing for bullheads and bass when they caught their first Walleye and tried to pick it up by the lips like a bass. I remember that fish filleted his thumb from joint to tip. Then you have the guys you see get a nice big pike and instead of picking them up by the eyeballs they try to put their hand in their gills to pick them up only to get sliced open by the teeth on their gills. Then there are these guys. Harmless but I was just treading water in a marina when I got bumped by one. I think I jumped straight out of the water and ran 30 feet without touching water.

paddlefish+american+Polyodon+spathula+bi

When they do those playbacks of incidents of maiming's and then go to North America, I find myself thinking of a few incidents. We used to fish a lot as kids and there is a lake in South Dakota called Lake Andes that has decent Large Mouth Bass, Big Perch and nice Walleye pike. These guys from Arkansas were fishing for bullheads and bass when they caught their first Walleye and tried to pick it up by the lips like a bass. I remember that fish filleted his thumb from joint to tip. Then you have the guys you see get a nice big pike and instead of picking them up by the eyeballs they try to put their hand in their gills to pick them up only to get sliced open by the teeth on their gills. Then there are these guys. Harmless but I was just treading water in a marina when I got bumped by one. I think I jumped straight out of the water and ran 30 feet without touching water.

paddlefish+american+Polyodon+spathula+bi

is that an alligator gar?

one of the episodes was devoted to them.

Not sure why you'd pick up a pike by the eyeballs...frown.gif

Old fishermen method before catch and release was popular around here when it was hard to find decent quality catch nets. Up until the 90's not many big nets for pike either in this area as they are not as popular of catch as in Northern MN, Canada. By grabbing them by the eyes it kept from getting accidentally hooked my your lure when shore fishing or from the bottom of the boat by pinning their head first. Also kept from getting coated with slime, ruining a small or poor net or simply avoid getting a plug tangled and having to cut it out of the net. I had never seen anyone use a kind of metal tool to actually hold their weight around here until the mid 90's. Sometimes it was the only way we could land them as kids if we could not carry any kind of net with all our gear to the river near town. I know some fishermen frown on the practice these days but it was a different era but we ate everything we caught. http://www.trails.com/how_12810_hold-northern-pike.html

Also that is a Paddlefish, a filter feeder. We can snag them or shoot them with a bow anywhere from 5 days to two weeks a year depending on count and you can only get one. 40 years ago used to be a limit of one a day for 2-3 months. I with Game Fish and Parks would shut if off for 10-15 years or severely limit the tags to give their numbers a chance to recover to their old numbers and sizes. It is related to the shark family with all cartridge skeleton. Very quick and easy to clean snip the artery on the underside between the gills to bleed it out in water. Then cut a ring around the tail to the cartridge spine, lop off the head the pull the tail and the spine with it. run and incision down the belly and remove the caviar (tasty) and liver, discard the rest, cut the remaining fins off and use a pliers to remove the skin. Then cut 1 inch steaks down the length and what you have a light tasty meat that is hard to describe. Some will cube it and deep fat fry it from there but I like it any way I can get it since it is very hard to come by. I love walleye and people who don't like that, love paddlefish for it's light flaky texture.

Also watched that River Monsters episode. Very impressive feat.

tumblr_m4ilfujoFh1rprj1yo1_500.jpg

Was this the episode where he was getting Muskie?

Made me want to go out for some, but man the cost of tackle for Muskie is pricy!

I also loved an early on episode where he was top fishing for peacock bass. They would just explode out of the water!

Yes it was the one with the Muskie. Ive been trying a river by me for pike. My friend cought a nice 24 incher last week and a guy a little up river cought a 40 incher. Ive had no luck yet but ill report back is I get lucky.