My City's New Smoking Bylaws

I know there is a lot of talk about anti smoking bylaws/laws on the forum, but I'm going to throw my city into the mix as one of harder cities to be a smoker in. I have included a link to an article explaining it & the actual bylaws itself if you want to have a look as well.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/smoking-ban-expands-to-greater-victoria-parks-playgrounds-1.654710

https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/crd-document-library/bylaws/publichealthcleanairidlingtanningtattoo/3962---capital-regional-district-clean-air-bylaw-no-1-2014-%28at-second-reading%29.pdf?sfvrsn=12

To sum up some of the main points.

No smoking in designated public spaces, parks (municipal, community, & regional), playgrounds, fields, beaches, etc. I am not sure if this includes sidewalks but...

No Smoking within 7 meters of a bus stop, & 7 meters from doors, windows, & air intakes of buildings; making the majority Downtown area of Victoria pretty much a non smoking area. Technically this even means no smoking on your own patio if you live in an apartment building (like I do) in the Capitol Region District.

Now feasibly this isn't a very enforceable bylaw, there's only an average of 1.5 enforcement officers working in the entire area on a given day. Though if you are caught & they feel like handing down a ticket to you, the fine can be up to $2,000. The people behind the bylaw have said this is going to mostly enforced by "peer pressure". For the people who aren't familiar with the area, you will get dirtier looks smoking a cigar around town here blatantly smoking weed out in public

Anyways just thought I'd share what you have to deal with to be a smoker (cigar or any tobacco) in my neck of the woods.

Wow...interesting exception to By-law 2(1) :

(3) Section 2(1) does not apply to a ceremonial use of tobacco in relation to a traditional aboriginal cultural activity.
Obviously, that refers to First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples? I think similar laws are been debated in Australia at the moment in regards to smoking from Apartment balconies.

Wow...interesting exception to By-law 2(1) :

(3) Section 2(1) does not apply to a ceremonial use of tobacco in relation to a traditional aboriginal cultural activity.
Obviously, that refers to First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples? I think similar laws are been debated in Australia at the moment in regards to smoking from Apartment balconies.

We have a pretty large number of First Nations groups/tribes in Canada, with a pretty diverse example out here on the West Coast. They also get special exemptions to hunting/trapping laws, fishing/whaling laws, etc. throughout the country, I imagine it's fairly similar with the aboriginal peoples in Australia?

We have a pretty large number of First Nations groups/tribes in Canada, with a pretty diverse example out here on the West Coast. They also get special exemptions to hunting/trapping laws, fishing/whaling laws, etc. throughout the country, I imagine it's fairly similar with the aboriginal peoples in Australia?

Believe it or not, thanks to the White Australia policy, Aboriginals weren't even considered Australian citizens until granted the vote in 1967. Gough Whitlam, Australian Prime Minister from 1972-75 (he just recently passed away at 98 years of age) truly began the reconciliation process, which is currently on-going.

Believe it or not, thanks to the White Australia policy, Aboriginals weren't even considered Australian citizens until granted the vote in 1967. Gough Whitlam, Australian Prime Minister from 1972-75 (he just recently passed away at 98 years of age) truly began the reconciliation process, which is currently on-going.

Hmm I was not aware of that. We haven't exactly had great & fair history with our First Nation population either.

I have to say, one of the upsides of living in a developing country is the smoking laws, or the lack there of. Believe it or not, for the average citizen, China actually has more freedom to offer than a lot of the developed nations. I can smoke almost wherever I want. If I feel like it, I can roam the streets with a bottle of beer in one hand and a cigar in the other, and nobody will care.

• Like 1

Being a fellow Victoria native I read this to say smoking is aloud in provincial and federal park land unless otherwise posted. The land below the tide mark is off limit to these overbearing nannies as well.

People in Vancouver are a little hyper sensitive about these types of issue also.. There needs to be some kind of annual rally were cigar smokers gather on the steps of the art gallery and fire up. In which we demand our equal rights to have designated indoor smoke permits for establishment that want to cater to this demographic.. Unfortunately it would probably been alot more melo than a pot rally.

I know there is a lot of talk about anti smoking bylaws/laws on the forum, but I'm going to throw my city into the mix as one of harder cities to be a smoker in. I have included a link to an article explaining it & the actual bylaws itself if you want to have a look as well.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/smoking-ban-expands-to-greater-victoria-parks-playgrounds-1.654710

https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/crd-document-library/bylaws/publichealthcleanairidlingtanningtattoo/3962---capital-regional-district-clean-air-bylaw-no-1-2014-%28at-second-reading%29.pdf?sfvrsn=12

To sum up some of the main points.

No smoking in designated public spaces, parks (municipal, community, & regional), playgrounds, fields, beaches, etc. I am not sure if this includes sidewalks but...

No Smoking within 7 meters of a bus stop, & 7 meters from doors, windows, & air intakes of buildings; making the majority Downtown area of Victoria pretty much a non smoking area. Technically this even means no smoking on your own patio if you live in an apartment building (like I do) in the Capitol Region District.

Now feasibly this isn't a very enforceable bylaw, there's only an average of 1.5 enforcement officers working in the entire area on a given day. Though if you are caught & they feel like handing down a ticket to you, the fine can be up to $2,000. The people behind the bylaw have said this is going to mostly enforced by "peer pressure". For the people who aren't familiar with the area, you will get dirtier looks smoking a cigar around town here blatantly smoking weed out in public

Anyways just thought I'd share what you have to deal with to be a smoker (cigar or any tobacco) in my neck of the woods.

wow! I would go nuts ! wacko.png