Mayweather vs the Pac man

Hunter1974

Money is going to destroy Pac. Won't be close even. He would have won 5 or 6 years ago too, but he chose to duck him like a pussycat.

Fwiw, I'm rooting for Pac. Both fighters are repulsive, but Pac less so...

• Like 2

I think Floyd will be too much for Manny :/ The fight would have been alot closer if it would have taken place a couple of years back. Imo Floyd's best asset is his ability to adjust to his opponent, manny on the other hand has relied alot on speed and power which should degrade with time. Besides floyd is arguably one of the best defensive counter puncher of all time, i see this going to a comfortable decision for Floyd. I want to add i sincerely hope i am wrong and Pac-Man takes the win. One thing is for sure, i'll spark a quality stick come May

for me, boxing was an art but now it is really hard to think it is not the most grubby, confused and corrupt of sports, sadly. i was a seriously keen follower for many years but zero interest these days.

and, not that i really give a toss, even if an 'art', not really that sort of art and why would it not go into the watering hole with all the rest of the sports?

have told this before but on an early trip to cuba with a few mates (not one of the rob ones), we were in a small bar just near floridita late one night. the cleaner was bumming cigarettes from one of my mates and we'd had a chat. he was good fun and we'd bought him a few rums. the place was raided and he was the only local allowed to stay - though the place was full again within fifteen minutes.

he was doing some shadow boxing and telling us he was going to make the cuban boxing team for the athens olympics - with a *** in his mouth, rum in one hand and broom in the other. we went on to a few other bars with him. we had a hoot. he was great fun..

months later, after the games, i came across the bit of paper with his name (lorenzo aragon, from memory) - cubans have a habit of writing their names on slips of paper and giving them to you. thought that for fun, i'd check the internet to see if he did make the team. not only made the team, he won the silver medal!

and it turned out he had also fought in the 1996 olympics as well. where he had been beaten by mayweather. (just checked wikipedia and this was the post - At the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Mayweather won a bronze medal by reaching the semi-finals of the featherweight (57-kg)[23] division. In the opening round Mayweather led 10–1 on points over Bakhtiyar Tileganov of Kazakhstan, before winning when the fight was stopped. In the second round, Mayweather outpointed Artur Gevorgyan of Armenia 16–3. In the quarterfinals, the 19-year-old Mayweather narrowly defeated 22-year-old Lorenzo Aragon of Cuba in an all-action bout to win 12–11, becoming the first U.S boxer to defeat a Cuban in 20 years.).

i mentioned this a while later to a couple of mates of mine who are - or were - boxing writers. they remembered the bout well and one told me that at the time, the decision was considered very much a 'home town decision' and that most believed aragon had been badly dudded. i found the fight on u-tube (i'm sure that it can be found). it was, for me, a close bout. i don't have the skill/knowledge to say lorenzo really was dudded but it did seem to me that he should have won it.

that said, there is a moment when he hits mayweather with one of the most massive punches imaginable. it would have dropped a walrus. mayweather was clearly a bit stunned by it but he stayed on his feet. i was gobsmacked. it was truly a punch that should have ended the bout and probably the bloke's career and he did not even go down. whether he won the bout legit or not, you had to be impressed by a bloke that could take a punch like that.

• Like 3

ps - went back to the bar on the next trip and asked if lorenzo was around. he was no longer the cleaner. now he was cuban royalty, and me knowing him gave me huge cred. unfortunately he was not there. must try again next trip

turned out he won two world titles (obviously not in the "professional" arena) and ten national titles in cuba, which is a massive deal.

but he did like a smoke and a drink.

• Like 1

Well, it has taken six years to set up the 'Fight of the Century' and perhaps Boxing hasn't seen this much hype since the Ali-Frazier fights in the 1970s.

By the way, Mayweather is undefeated in 47 professional bouts (the loss in the 1996 Olympics as an Amateur was his last loss) so defeat would be a bigger deal for Pacquiao.

Well, it has taken six years to set up the 'Fight of the Century' and perhaps Boxing hasn't seen this much hype since the Ali-Frazier fights in the 1970s.

By the way, Mayweather is undefeated in 47 professional bouts (the loss in the 1996 Olympics as an Amateur was his last loss) so defeat would be a bigger deal for Pacquiao.

I remember him clearly winning every round in that Olympic bout....a host of international boxing officials resined immediately after that decision...it was disgraceful....Floyd handled it brilliantly...

Money is going to destroy Pac. Won't be close even. He would have won 5 or 6 years ago too, but he chose to duck him like a pussycat.

This. This exactly.

Muhammad Ali really brought forth the 'boxing showman', the boxer who sold his fights through being the 'over-the-top' showman. I can't speak for Mayweather or Pacquiao, but in my line of work I've had dealings with a famous Australian fighter who has famously polarised Australian boxing fans at times, but in real life is shy, introverted and humble. That fighter?...Anthony Mundine.

the words 'humble' and 'mundine' in the same sentence. whoever would have imagined seeing that?

i do remember him being described as the only australian sportsman to have all aussies supporting an overseas opponent.

for a bloke who claims to be one of the greatest athletes of all time (humble?), i wonder how many people outside australia have ever heard of him? if not for his mouth and the endless stream of vile rubbish that spews forth, how many aussies would know anything about him.

it would be nice to think he was like that in private but a great shame he was not more so in public. a dimwitted, loudmouthed grub who has embarrassed himself, his family and his nation time after time. granted talented boxer though, but hardly the greatest. but basically a misogynist homophobic moron who has continually shamed this country.

if he went under a bus, i reckon most australians, black, white or striped, would be secretly, if not publicly absolutely utterly delighted.

his comments after 9/11 - "They call it an act of terrorism, but if you can understand religion, and our way of life, it’s not about terrorism. It’s about fighting for God’s law, and America’s brought it upon themselves". then when he realised the reaction would cost him money in sponsorship and probably the chance to fight in america, he claimed it was all taken out of context. i remember watching the interview. absolute crap it was out of context. something had stolen the headlines from him and so out came this rubbish. utter grub.

i remember when he came out and declared himself the greatest league player in the country. that must have been in competition with my big toe. beyond delusional. anyone who remembers the st george v storm grand final, would remember that his selfishness cost the saints the premiership. man outside him and about two yards to the line and the selfish worm (i am not a saints fan so not personal to me) went himself, to try and grab the glory. stuffed it up. a try then and saints would have had an unassailable lead. instead, they lost the final.

he claimed he was robbed of an australian jersey by the selectors because of his race. that would be the same race as the chairman of selectors and also the same race as the bloke who was picked in the spot he wanted (daley - who was ten times the player mundine was on his worst day). but to dump on arthur beetson, after the legend was dead, and dismiss him as some sort of uncle tom shows what a vile piece of crap mundine is.

and of course, he simply walked out on his contract when it no longer suited him. and has encouraged others to do the same. no honour, no morals, no decency.

he always claims to be the greatest this or that. the only greatest he is, is the greatest shame anyone has ever been to this nation.

well said. Any one that he fought against that was any good beat him ..or was 10 years past his prime. And I for one don't think much more of Green and his opponents..the Paul Briggs fight was the most disgraceful thing I have seen in boxing ...

Ken, it is hard to believe, but these public figures can be so different to their public personas. I'm sure you know some types yourself. Mundine has crossed the line in the name of publicity a few times. I don't know why in social situations he feels he has to assert himself so much. I still remember that it wasn't appreciated at the Broncos in '96 when he played league. Wayne Bennett (the Brisbane Coach) didn't put up with it. Incidentally, Bennett is another persona I've heard who is actually quite funny once you get to know him, in contrast to his taciturn media profile.

Ken, it is hard to believe, but these public figures can be so different to their public personas. I'm sure you know some types yourself. Mundine has crossed the line in the name of publicity a few times. I don't know why in social situations he feels he has to assert himself so much. I still remember that it wasn't appreciated at the Broncos in '96 when he played league. Wayne Bennett (the Brisbane Coach) didn't put up with it. Incidentally, Bennett is another persona I've heard who is actually quite funny once you get to know him, in contrast to his taciturn media profile.

yes, bennett supposedly much more of a decent bloke than he appears in public, from what one hears. at least in his case, he just keeps stumm and says nothing in public. if only mundine was the same. i much prefer that approach.

and yes, mundine was unpopular all round at the broncos. was not missed for a second when he left.

Mayweather should win by TKO in the 4th, 5th or 6th or it will probably go the distance with Mayweather winning comfortably, unless Many pulls out a freak punch in the 2nd or 3rd or 4th I reckon. Might pop on a few $2 bets to keep the interest up and watch it at the local pub on Sunday.

Would like to see pac man win but I think Floyd has this one.....

Feel the same way. I arrive in Vegas tomorrow, a day late and a dollar short

So Floyd won by unanimous decision on points and has stated he has one more fight in him prior to retirement. Do you feel the Pacman deserves/must fight a re-match? I know that's how I feel.

So Floyd won by unanimous decision on points and has stated he has one more fight in him prior to retirement. Do you feel the Pacman deserves/must fight a re-match? I know that's how I feel.

Personally I think the fight should've gone on til one either was knocked out or fell over